Naked Tails

Naked Tails

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Seth McDaniel wasn’t raised among a shifter passel and has no idea what it’s like to turn furry once a month. An orphan, torn from his father’s family at an early age, he scarcely remembers Great-aunt Irene. Now her passing brings him back to Possum Kingdom, Georgia, to take up a legacy he doesn’t understand and reconnect with a friend he’s never forgotten.

As Irene’s seco...more
Published December 17th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published December 16th 2012)

SheReadsALot

Author & Book of the Month (June)

Possum? *pauses* Possum shifter? Possum shifter romance? *scratches head*

Huh? Que what?

I won't lie. When us unicorns chose this book to be our book of the month, I was a little stunned. Because WTF is interesting about possums, right?

Wrong.

Who wants to read romance between roadkill garbage munchers?

Apparently this girl.

What I expected? Some shifter fluff about an underwhelming species.
What I got? A story with more depth than I expected. It's not angst-r...more
Heller
3.5

A really unique shifter world created here. Maybe a bit too much of a focus on the politics to the point that the romance was back burnered but the MC's were endearing when together. I enjoyed learning about the whole possum culture but I felt that they were pretty harsh to Seth for his absence. A really interesting read and I loved the ending.
Feliz
4.5 rounded up for the refreshingly unusual concept.

At first glance I was like, huh, opossum shifters--seriously?
Don't be fooled by that. There's so much more to this book than troublesome little critters (although the Johnson triplets certainly count as such...)

This is the story of Dustin and Seth, best childhood friends who haven't seen each other in years. Seth used to live in the small town of Possum Kingdom, but after his parents died, his maternal grandmother took him away. However, Seth...more
Ann
3.5 Stars

June's UM Buddy Read and Chat Book - YAY!

This was a fun read. I liked that it didn't take itself too seriously, yet didn't become a joke either. I did feel bad for Seth through a lot of the book. The poor dude didn't have it easy and not too many people/possums cut him much slack. Considering he was in the dark for quite awhile I had to sympathize with him. To his credit though, he didn't whine and hide he took the opportunities in Possum Kingdom and made something from them.

I liked Dus...more
Deeze
I don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed by an Eden Winters book, and this one didn’t break the chain either.

A wonderful light hearted whimsical tale of Opossum shifters. Funny and sweet with plenty to keep the reader interested.

As cute as the possum’s are, Seth as a man had my heart aching. Thanks to an overbearing Grandmother, Seth is raised without the love and affection he would of received if he had been left with his Great Aunt. In turn Seth has little self worth and allows himself to set...more
Sunny
3.5

Cute shifter story with more than a few moments that had me grinning. Other moments were more serious, and some were a little silly.

Moments that made me laugh:
(view spoiler)

Things I wasn't crazy about:
Monica...she was over the top rude and bitchy. (view spoiler)...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*

This starts out with Seth still a little boy and about to have his life changed forever.
Poor Seth, I felt so sorry for him, alone and he seemed to stay that way until he came back to his hometown to settle his great aunt's estate.
He comes into a town that is different although he doesn't quite know what is off, but that's ok, he just wants to get everything in order and leave again, until he sort of doesn't want to.
His childhood best friend Dustin has grown up and the friendship they once shared...more
Syfy
One of, if not the most, unique and original shifter tale I've ever read!
Possums are not particularly clever... nope. Nor are they the most sexy things. They eat crickets, snuffle about, and are generally uninteresting.
HOWEVER.
Eden Winters is clever. She creates sexy and interesting!

This wasn't a sappy once-upon-a-time we were best friends now we're boyfriends. There's plenty of mercenary shifter politicking to keep Dustin and Seth from their insta-love HEA now that they've been reunited.

Set...more
AquaScales
Oh this was fun. I have a super soft spot for possum shifters stories and was so excited that Winters wrote one. This was long enough to really spend time creating the characters and world of this 'possum society. Very well plotted in terms of what happened with the characters and story arc from prodigal son to leader of the 'passel. Integrity and family being the biggest themes. Sexy, fun and characters you want to spend time with. Nicely done.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
As a huge shifter fan, I'm always looking for a unique twist given to the typical shifter story. In this case, Ms. Winters does a pretty awesome job of making this unique by having it based off werepossums.

I adored the fact that this was a light-hearted, slightly funny but cute read. Seth is actually pretty depressing. He lets people walk all over him because he just wants to be loved, accepted, and liked. Unfortunately, others see him as easily manipulated. When he reconnects with Dustin, thin...more
P.D. Singer
Dec 22, 2012 P.D. Singer added it
Shelves: m-m
I beta'd this book, so my rating should be obvious even if I'm trying to be impartial and not put stars.(It's hard. I enjoyed myself from Chap 1 to "Fin".) I adored the concept of taking a rather unattractive animal and making a world around it that sucks you in. This is a completely realized world, different from any other shifter universe I've read, and the characters jump off the page. From Monica, second in command and highly opinionated, to the MC's Dustin and Seth, to the Johnson triplets,...more
Mrs Condit & Friends Read Books
Release Day: December 17, 2012
A copy of this book was provided to me for a fair and honest review.

This is a book to savor - every word, every page. It is definitely a character-driven book, and what characters they are! NAKED TAILS is like an addictive drug. When you get to the end you will be sad it’s over and may even do like I did and write to Ms. Winters asking for more stories about Seth , Dustin, and the possum passel, Andy and the fox skulk, Seth’s ex-boyfriend Michael and his unlikely ne...more
Ingela
May 11, 2014 Ingela marked it as to-read
Shelves: wtr-buy-next
Need to read this one. I can't imagine how it will be, but it sounds so cute.

description
MostlyDelores
Apr 18, 2013 MostlyDelores rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who can read shifter romance without the mate-claiming and non-stop sexcapades
"We embark!" I said grandly to my husband, as I opened this book.
"Hmm?"
"Possum shifters!" (waving the e-reader triumphantly)
::snickering::
"No, seriously."

Seriously: it was good. To be sure, a waddling possum doesn't have the same je ne sais quois as an alpha wolf, but this was not that story. This was a sweet, well-developed tale (sorry) of a community of possum shifters in the rural South.
Audrey
Possum shifter zaniness! Best part: human thoughts in possum form. Worst part: not liking the MC >__>, then feeling super duper sad and sorry for him. Overall: enjoyable, but otherwise not too memorable for me.
Enny

A highly entertaining read with just the right mix between funny and cute.
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

I'm always excited when Eden writes a new book, but this one was even more exciting because it's about possum shifters! The seed of the story came from a very wild tale Eden wrote about on her blog, and with the encouragement of friends, turned into this story. I remember reading about the whole opossum debacle, and if I could find the post(s) on her blog, I'd share it/them, but I can't. Nevertheless, that's no reason not to read this book and thoroughly enjo...more
Annika
A slow start and far from light-hearted (but I'm also a bit touchy feely currently regarding children loosing their parents and such). Then the book picks up pace and becomes really good, hilarious at times. Don't let yourself be discouraged by possum shifters.
It's a sweet and funny tale about family, friendship, love and finding yourself and your place in the world.
MandyM
3.5 stars. Light-hearted tale of a group of Possum Shifters. The romance is nice although it tends to play second fiddle to the story. And I really didn't like Monica's character. But I enjoyed the possum shifter society and the physical characteristics they had. And being an ACDC fan I liked the references to Back in Black.
Arthur
A refreshingly new shifter story: an opossum shifter!

Yet, while the world building is interesting, I didn't get much on the romance front. The last part of the book is too crowded with possum politics that I didn't really care much.
Candice
I've had some time to think this over and I have to leave it at 3. There were just too many things I didn't like. Monica was one of them. I did not like her at all and nobody can make me like her. Like Seth leaving was HIS fault? He was 8.

I liked Dusty. But, I thought he should have told Seth sooner let him make up his own mind about what he wants.

The romance between them was kind of on the backburner which was fine, but I didn't really FEEL the love between them. Did Seth NEED Dusty? YES! But...more
Moniqee
Jack and Jill went up the hill to get a fairy ending, Jack fell down and up he shifted into a possum that caught my laughter. ^__*

Kim Alan
Jan 27, 2013 Kim Alan marked it as kindled  ·  review of another edition
Possum shifters??? Hell, yeah. :)
Fehu
Review:
Seth lost his parents when he was a child and had to move in with his grandmother, away from his childhood home, his aunt and his best friend Dusty. Now, 20 years later, Seth lives in Chicago, has a career he likes as a photographer and more than 1000 friends on his page. His relationship status isn't looking very good and after getting his hopes up about another reunion, with his sometimes boyfriend Michael, there is bad news he has to deal with. First Michael tells him about his engagem...more
Tam
Well, everyone knows I love me some odd shifters and I quite enjoyed possums, especially given that I’ve never seen one live, not having any in Canada.

The story starts with Seth as a young boy being taken back to Chicago by his maternal grandmother after his parents death. She the proceeds to keep him away from his father’s side of the family, including his only living relative, his great-aunt, although she never really tells him why. It’s obvious however she blames them for her daughter’s death...more
Karen
Ok I admit it I started reading this book for 2 reasons 1. the author was Eden Winters and in general writer of some of my favorite stories & 2. Possums? Really? I just couldn't see it,I mean I understand how shifter stories about wolves, big cats, eagles, hawks, bears and even horses can work there's something powerful and riveting about all of these animals and it can be translated into very appealing human atributes when done properly. But really possums? Sorry they are just not cute crit...more
Lori

Review soon.
Argona
What first attracted me to this story was the cover. A novel titled "Naked tails" with a Possum on the cover? I read the summary and I was hooked! I dropped everything else and started reading this one and I am so glad that I did so.

Possum Shifters! How much more originality do you want? In a world filled with Werewolves and other predatory shifters, they are certainly a fresh breeze.It takes serious talent and humor to turn a nightly invasion in to material for paranormal M/M romance.

This book...more
Michelle

I love a book that gives more than the traditional shifter scenario.. This one does it beautifully..
It would be great to see a sequel appear. Even though this one finishes nicely with no unanswered questions.
Bogusia
Opossum shifters, a rat-like tail, scary teeth, insects and slugs eaters? - Oh, yes baby and trust me – you won't be sorry :)
Dreamspinner Press: Naked Tails by Eden Winters 4 25 Dec 17, 2012 03:08AM
  • Body Magic (Triad, #2)
  • Good Bones (Bones #1)
  • A Purrfect Match
  • Taming the Bander
  • An Intrepid Trip to Love (A Little Bite of Love #1)
  • Down Under
  • Stealing the Dragon (The Dragon's Hoard, #3)
  • Snakeskin Boots (Were Menagerie, #1)
  • Gumption & Gumshoes
  • Love Bites: A Feral Hearts Tale
  • A Boy and His Dragon (Beings in Love #2)
  • Chuffed (Finnshifters, #1)
  • The Haunting of Timber Manor (Memoirs of the Human Wraiths #1)
  • The Beast Without
  • Until Forever Comes (Mates, #2)
  • The Choosing
  • Ascendance (Dominion, #4)
  • Two Lips, Indifferent Red
I'm a down home country girl and avid reader who made the leap to author. I enjoy great books, great friends, and lively discussions.

More about Eden Winters...
Diversion (Diversion, #1) The Angel of 13th Street The Telling (The Telling, #1) The Sentinel Settling the Score

“Oh! Worm! Seth pounced, squealing when his teeth sank into his
own tail. Ow! That hurt!”
2 likes