Start by marking “Summer's Lease” as Want to Read:
Summer's Lease

Summer's Lease

On his first night renting a cottage on the Cornish coast, widower John Tennant comes face to face with, of all things, a grizzly bear. Fearing for his life, John tries to convince the animal he isn't worth eating, and is relieved when the bear ambles away.

Maintenance man Mitch Benjamin is two hundred years old but doesn’t look a day over forty. As a werebear, he needs to
Published November 26th 2012 by JMS Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about Summer's Lease, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer's Lease

Icedave
Rating:
3.75 stars.

Genre:
Leisure shifter m-m romance with some smaller paranormal elements.

Extra Infos
main characters:
John, office clerk for a UK government department coming for the summer to the Cornish coast as a getaway after the death of his husband George.

Mitch, almost 200 year old werebear and maintenance man of the Cornish cottages of which John rents one. Born and grown up in North America he came 90 years ago to Britain after his last mate was killed by hunters.

"Teddy", the inner bear
Helene
A lovely and funny mating dance between a werebear and a man. Throw in a little magic and some eccentric characters, and you have a funny light read.
Lucy
Dec 01, 2012 Lucy rated it liked it
This is a cute shifter story of a werebear and a sad widower. John had been with his husband George for over twenty years. George died suddenly of natural causes and John misses him constantly. It was a plus for me that meeting someone new didn’t magically erase George from John’s mind. If anything, John feels guilty for feeling anything for anyone else, which I felt was a true reaction for someone like him, who was so in love. A twist and turn of events leads him to a “Relaxing Cornish ...more
Phaney
Mar 14, 2014 Phaney rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
It was great and very sweet until an inexplicable jump in the middle that basically skipped all the interesting romantic developments in favour of summary. WTF?

Anyway.
This story is magical. That’s a different way to approach a modern shifter story. In many ways this has a fairy tale feel to it, albeit not in the writing style as much as in the atmosphere.

It’s a bit strange how separate the two forms are – bear and man are two different entities. As such it does not feel to me as though Mitch shi
Lizzie
May 27, 2013 Lizzie rated it it was amazing
Sweet, utterly tender, heartbreaking and even a little kinky at times.

There was no over-the-top drama here. No shoot outs, no evil villains, nothing but two men who had lost their soul mate and then found them again. Therein lies the twist for this story and wild horses wouldn't get it out of me.

This is a detail rich, slow, easy story, but by no means boring. The characters personalities feel real and down to earth. There were tears but no whining and the sex was exciting and to be honest a bi
Chris, the Dalek King
May 04, 2016 Chris, the Dalek King marked it as nah-nope-and-not-interested
Look, I know it is a small piece of a throw-away scene, but using the 'stupid, annoying, fat american' stereotype to make fun of a couple of women fucking pisses me off.

DNF at 15%
Karl
Aug 11, 2014 Karl rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Enjoyable and light easy reading.
Octobercountry
Apr 10, 2013 Octobercountry rated it really liked it
Okay, confess---is anyone laughing a bit after reading that summary, thinking it sounds rather silly? Because I would have done so at one time. But the fact that I quite enjoyed this story has shown me how much my tastes have changed and evolved over the course of the past five years or so.

I’ll admit that for many years I had a rather low opinion of romance novels---thought they were kind of ridiculous and a waste of time. Oh, I loved writers like Georgette Heyer and Mary Stewart, but I told mys
Sue
Jan 14, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
Well I thoroughly enjoyed this sweet tale of a bear shifter (makes a change from all those bare shifters, no?) living in a Cornish holiday cottage, and the visiting writer, John, who falls for him.
It's great for me to read books set in the UK, as the familiarity of everyday life makes a nice change. I like reading American m/m fiction, of course, and I learn a lot by doing so, but like I said it's nice to have the odd British jewel among them.
Mitch, the bear shifter, is 6 foot 8 inches in his be
Erin
I always enjoy trying out a new author, so when I saw this as a First Reads giveaway I thought I'd take a chance. Summer's Lease certainly did not disappoint. I have a bit of a preference for bear shifters, and I liked Mitch very much. Both he and John have loved and lost in the past, and both fear finding something great again, only to loose it once more. When John arrives at the Cornish coast, he is still trying to recover from the sudden loss of his long-time partner a year before. He has ...more
Blue Bayou .
Jan 14, 2013 Blue Bayou . rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars-or-less
Not a bad story however there were jumps in the emotional development between the two MC's. The paranormal part was ok. The MC's did some silly things. (view spoiler) ...more
Shannon
Feb 19, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, kept me up way later than I should have been awake!! There were two plot issues but other than that I loved the story and the characters. Must love bears ❤️
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by:Lucy
Genre: M/M Paranormal
Rated: 3 hearts

Check out the review at: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Mandi
Mandi rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2013
Beario
Beario rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2014
Aerulan
Aerulan rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2016
Leni
Leni rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2013
David Higgins
David Higgins rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Ky
Ky rated it really liked it
May 04, 2014
HarbingerOfSilence
HarbingerOfSilence rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2015
Lasticmax
Lasticmax rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2012
Auraya
Auraya rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2016
Pwnn
Pwnn rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2013
mozayk
mozayk rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Raji
Raji rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Bryne
Bryne rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2012
C.H.
C.H. rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2013
ChicagoGirl
ChicagoGirl rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Having read all the decent free fiction on the net Drew could find, he set out to try his hand at writing something himself. Fed up reading about characters who were super-wealthy, impossibly handsome, and incredibly well-endowed, Drew determined to make his characters real and believable.

Drew lives a quiet life in the north of England with his cat. Someday he hopes to meet the kind of man he writ
More about Drew Hunt...