Start by marking “Rise of the Gryphon (Belador, #4)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Gryphon (Belador, #4)

Rise of the Gryphon (Belador #4)

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,478 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
In the fourth novel of the bestselling Belador paranormal series, Evalle Kincaid must turn her back on the Beladors to protect those she loves, and the world, from annihilation.

To prevent a genocide, Evalle is forced to embrace her destiny…but at what cost?

As an Alterant who fights everything from trolls to demons, Evalle has lived as an outcast among the Beladors, but ca
Published July 30th 2013 by Pocket Books (first published July 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Rise of the Gryphon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise of the Gryphon

Barb Lie
Jul 11, 2013 Barb Lie rated it it was amazing
Rise of the Gryphon by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Dianna Love is the 4th book in their Belador series. If you have followed my reviews, you will know I love this series. I love Evalle, who is one of my favorite kickass heroines.

Throughout this series, we have suffered with Evalle, as the Goddess Macha continues to push her to the brink, not to mention Sen, who is always looking to destroy her. Evalle has always been loyal to the Beladors; constantly putting her life on the line, and yet she is not fu
Paranormal Haven
Jul 31, 2013 Paranormal Haven rated it really liked it

The clock is ticking for Evalle to bring in the Alterants or face the wrath of a goddess. Unfortunately, that's easier said than done. Stumbling upon a paranormal fight club, Evalle will have to become the very thing that's made her an outcast in order to come out alive and stop an attack by the Medb that could destroy the Beladors.

Evalle has a big, beautiful heart despite having a traumatic childhood and feeling like an outcast among the Beladors, a warrior organization she risks her l
Ann Gimpel
Oct 08, 2013 Ann Gimpel rated it really liked it
This is the first Sherrilyn Kenyon book I've read, but it certainly won't be the last. I actually thought I was buying the first book in the Belador Series. Despite having begun with #4, I had no trouble tracking the characters or following the plot. I truly appreciate series books that can work as standalones, too.

The writing is crisp and the story well-plotted. Storm is a great slpha hero and Evalle is a kickass heroine. The subsidiary characters are three-dimensional, for the most part.

I only
Ivy
5 stars

One of my favorite series. Nice to see everyone back. RIP Kizira. Hope they will be able to rescue Brina. Also hope Evalle will be able to find Storm. Can't wait to read Demon Storm!!!
Kris
Nov 08, 2014 Kris rated it it was ok
Shelves: dumped, book-pile
Okay for true die hard Romance novel readers. Forget it if you like a straight Urban Paranormal series on par with Kim Harrison.

I read Bks 1 - 3 back to back in a two week period. I started Bk 4 and stopped at page 20. Update -30 days later. Haven't finished it. Won't. Wish I hadn't wasted the money.

This series has made me go back to purchasing the type of paranormal I began with. Those including authors like Kim Harrison, and Jim Butcher. Not books filled primarily with unresolved sexual tensio
Amelia
Jul 27, 2013 Amelia rated it it was amazing
If the first three books in the Belador series were thought to be fascinating, then get ready to be totally blown away by the latest installment. RISE OF THE GRYPHON adds new dangerous troubles for Evalle to face, and each one could impact the lives of someone whom she wants to keep safe. As the dilemmas in her life become more perilous, her emotions go on a roller-coaster ride of highs and lows. With the burden of countless lives counting on her, Evalle has to make several of the most difficult ...more
Kathy Davie
Dec 16, 2013 Kathy Davie rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Fourth in the Belador urban fantasy series revolving around Evalle.

My Take
This was a weird combination of exciting and huh, what? If Macha and Sen could get their heads out, well, I guess there would be less of a story, but they'd be better people and half the problems in this story could probably be solved.

I can't believe how much Evalle fights against Storm and what he knows. It feels more as if it's done for the tension/drama of it, and it just pisses me off. In her law enforcement lifestyle,
Elayne
Aug 04, 2013 Elayne rated it really liked it
I thought this book might be the last in this series...but its not! I've had mixed emotions about these books but on the whole I've enjoyed them, not unexpected considering these are written by two great authors. Once again Evalle's life is in turmoil, even a goddess is playing against her. She can't seem to do right for doing wrong these days, she's having to keep secrets from her fellow Beladors and her close friends. Storm is determined to help her and Evalle is determined to keep him safe. T ...more
Brittney
I received this book via the first reads giveaway.

Rise of the Gryphon is the 4 installment in the Belador series by Dianna Love and Sherrilyn Kenyon, and I personally think it is the best one so far. In this story the main focus is centered around Evalle with a couple of chapters of different POVs, which is nice because we get to stick with Evalle throughout the story which can give one the feeling that they are facing the dangers right alongside her; instead of jumping from person to p
Philisha Stephens
Oct 22, 2013 Philisha Stephens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Frustratingly excellent story. I've really loved the series with Eval and glad that she and Storm finally get together. However, it's frustrating that it ends on such a traumatic note. I rated the story a 5 because it held my attention the whole time, I read every word, and the quality of writing is excellent. The twist and turns were great and it was full of surprises. The ending left me unfulfilled and frustrated. Why can't Eval have something that ends happily? This is the 4th book in the ser ...more
Jill Bradley
Jul 09, 2014 Jill Bradley rated it it was amazing
OMG what a GREAT series. I heart Evalle. I'm so glad I didn't give up after the first terrible book! the writing is about 40068390294 times better.

WOOP
momokaachan
Feb 02, 2016 momokaachan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
The best of the series so far. Could have been a 5-star but for a cliff-hanger at the end....
Michelle Randall
Rise of the Gryphon is the forth book in the Belador series by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Dianna Love. If you read no other series but one this year, make it this series, please! It is amazing, truly.

Things are moving along! I mean it almost feels like we might be getting close to finding some real answers, and we do find some in this book, but they only serve to actually raise more questions!

Evalle and Storm are still searching to get Tristian and the other Alterants to come to Macha, and the Maedb a
Manuela
Nov 08, 2013 Manuela rated it really liked it
It started slow but it picked up quickly and was great in the second half. Only let down it's an effin cliffhanger .
Lucinda Jester Smith
Sep 12, 2014 Lucinda Jester Smith rated it it was amazing
Love the Belador Series and can't wait for book 5! The only thing I don't like about the series is I just wish they were released closer together, by the time the next book comes out I have to get 2 chapters in to remember what's going on. That being said the writing, story and characters are FANTASTIC! I was so glad that Evalle finally let down some barriers with Storm but now we can't find Storm...Lol! Poor Quinn and Tzader will they seem to never find their HEA! Hurry up with number 5 please. ...more
April
Evalle is running out of time to find five Alterants to swear loyalty to Macha, and to find Tristian to find out their true origins. But first they must find a way into an illegal beast fight club, one that if she gets caught nobody will able to save her. Not to mention succeeding means going with the Medb, where she might not have a way out of their plans for her.

I didn't enjoy this book as much as the others. Don't get me wrong I still loved the book, but it felt like something was lacking. Ma
Randy Daugherty
May 20, 2014 Randy Daugherty rated it really liked it
Rise of the Gryphon by Sherrilyn Kenyon is the fourth in the Belador series. Evalle is still under the threat of death searching for Tristan who holds the secret of the Alterants past and the key to their future as a race.
Storm the Native shapeshifter with more powers than anyone seems to understand follows and aids Evalle in her search and comes across a with , one who is in league with the witchdoctor who holds Storms soul captive and now it seems who also has plans for Evalle.
The Melb still t
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Aug 20, 2013 Jen (Red Hot Books) rated it it was amazing
This is such a good book; an awesome urban fantasy. It’s complex and action packed; it’s got great world building, well developed characters, and a fast moving plot. I did not want to put it down. Now that it’s over, I can’t wait until the next book is out, so I can get back on the ride. For those of you unfamiliar with the series, it’s nothing like what you’re used to from Sherrilyn Kenyon. It’s not a romance (though there is a romance in the story.) It’s 100% UF. And this book, by the way, is ...more
Robin Priddy
Sep 27, 2013 Robin Priddy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Robin by: nightowl romance
This is the fourth installment of Ms Kenyon and Ms Love's Belandor series. I love anything from these authors and when the two of them get together you have on heck of a story. This book will answer a lot of questions that the first three books brought up. We finally find out the answer to what the Alterants are and where they came from. And what the evil Mebd want with them. This was a wonderful action filled book from start to finish. I can't wait for the next installment of this series.

Evalle
Carey Sabala
Jul 31, 2013 Carey Sabala rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Rise of the Gryphon is the newest installment in the Belador series by Diana Love and Sherrilyn Kenyon. In this book we find our heroine Evalle in a battle of wills with the Belador's, fighting for her life (literally and figuratively) and finding romance. Pretty much the blurb above sums up most of the action, so I won't rehash that bit but I will say, as for the romance, ......freakin' finally!!! I've been waiting since book one for some romance to happen!!! I didn't care whom the HEA was for ...more
Shelli
Nov 09, 2013 Shelli rated it did not like it
Shauni
Aug 27, 2013 Shauni rated it really liked it
If you have not read the previous Belador novels by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Dianna Love, I seriously recommend that you do so. This is not a stand alone book and honestly you need to be up to date. I have (yep have to.. ) read the previous books every time a new book is released.. so I am up to date. Going into this book thinking to read it first. Not a good idea. Especially this one.

Rise of the Gryphon is the fourth book in the Belador Series and it is what I would almost call a transition book.
Bryonna Nobles
Sep 10, 2013 Bryonna Nobles rated it it was amazing
First, let's take a moment to admire this cover. How bad ass does Evalle look in this? They say "Don't judge a book by its cover" but this one, I feel, really sets the mood for the book.

You got the mystic purple background which tells you there's some major magical stuff happening within these pages. The great bat winged horse sword that I just salivate over, and then I love the play on the eyes. You have the super hot Evalle and her glowing green eyes and in the sword's blade, you have reflecte
Elizabeth
Feb 27, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Very disappointed with Rise of the Gryphon because the other books in this series were pretty good. It was much longer than it needed to be, dragging on until about the last 100-150 pages.

Finishing the book was a real struggle. The heroine had to deal with so much doom and gloom it was like enough already!

The majority of the characters are very interesting but I'm not sure if I can endure another book like this.
Dan Dobler
Jan 06, 2015 Dan Dobler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic ride!

This series stands out among every other series of books that I have read in 50yrs. It continues to get BETTER, not just maintain a good story. The characters are evolving in a unique way that makes them more intriguing, the plot continues to twist and turn and draw you in, and the writing and tying together so many threads is consistently fantastic!! I'm on to book 5 right now!
Stacy
Nov 12, 2013 Stacy rated it liked it
I'm sad to say that I feel this is the weakest of the Belador novels. That's not to say it's bad, but the "twist" (for lack of a better term) is frankly just odd to me, and the "rules" that go along with it are patently ludicrous. Not to mention all the ties that keep Evalle twisted and turned into paradoxical knots that are completely impossible to work out of without some divine intervention (and I say that tongue-in-cheek, since a goddess is a third of her problem). I get that supposedly ever ...more
Alasandra Alawine
Oct 04, 2013 Alasandra Alawine rated it it was amazing
Evalle finally learns the truth about Alterants, but the price is being captured by the Medb. Evalle finds help from an unexpected source inside the Medb Coven, but their plan to protect Tzader and Quinn goes astray when Kizira dies in Quinn's arms. Kizira also reveals a long held secret to Quinn before she dies.

When Brina's bodyguard (Horace) is revealed as the traitor Lanna attempts to teleport Brina and herself to safety.

Storm is on the trail of the witch doctor who bound Evalle to her with
Shawn
Nov 25, 2015 Shawn rated it liked it
Sherrilyn and Love did a nice job on this one, but I found the witches coven, and the Alterants more of a gothic mystery. Before I can understand the different changes I find that I must first read "The Curse", so that I can understand what started this whole thing.

I will return once I've read the "Alterants", and get a full picture. So for those of you who choose to read this saga, might I suggest starting at the begining for less confusion.
Gina M Jordan
Jun 11, 2014 Gina M Jordan rated it really liked it
I don't recommend reading these out of order as I'm somehow doing. However this book can be read as a stand alone story if you don't mind missing some character back story. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series ASAP to find out how they all got to this point. As for this book, I highly recommend it!
Donna
Aug 05, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing
Throughout the first three books of this series Alterant Evalle has proven herself time and again to the Beladors, the Tribunal and to Macha. In this installment Evalle’s honor and loyalties will be stretched to the point she may just break. While trying to honor her agreement to Macha to get Alterants recognized Evalle is put in a position at odds with the Beladors. What is a girl to do but keep on keeping on and try to do her best and what is right.
The back cover of this book promised answers
  • Demon Storm (Belador, #5)
  • Dream Warrior  (Dark Warrior Alliance #1)
  • Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #2)
  • Silver Moon (DeJa Vu Chronicles #2)
  • Barefoot with a Bodyguard (Barefoot Bay Undercover #1)
  • Rise of the Dunamy
  • The World of Karov (Children of Demilee, #1)
  • Courted by the Vampire (Eight Realms, #1)
  • Dark Waters (Elemental #1)
  • Angel of Chaos (Imp, #6)
  • The Road to Hell (Hell on Earth, #2)
  • Apocalypse Happens (Phoenix Chronicles, #3)
  • Call of the Raven (The Union Series #1)
  • Haven Lost (The Dragon's Brood Cycle, Vol. 1)
  • Savage Awakening (Alpha Pack, #2)
  • The Lost Remnant (Pieces of Eden, #1)
  • Trust (The Hero Chronicles #2)
  • Second Skin (Skinned, #2)
Official Author site
Official Author Free Mobile App
US Publisher Kenyon site
Official UK Publisher Kenyon site
Official Chronicles of Nick site
Official Taiwan Publisher Dark-Hunter site
Official Facebook site

New York Times and international bestselling author Sherrilyn Kenyon is a regular at the #1 spot. With legions of fans known as Menyons (thousands of whom proudly sport tattoos from her series and
More about Sherrilyn Kenyon...

Belador (6 books)
  • Blood Trinity (Belador, #1)
  • Alterant (Belador, #2)
  • The Curse (Belador #3)
  • Demon Storm (Belador, #5)
  • Witchlock (Belador, #6)