Start by marking “Art Auction Mystery” as Want to Read:
Art Auction Mystery

Art Auction Mystery

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  28 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Sixteen famous paintings from collections around the world have been stolen and replaced with clever forgeries. Now these fake paintings, along with sixteen others, are going up for auction. After an anonymous tip, the reader has to come to the rescue! By comparing the paintings to the originals, the reader has all the clues to figure out which paintings are real and which ...more
Published October 13th 2005 by Kingfisher

To ask other readers questions about Art Auction Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art Auction Mystery

Idaho Art Lab
Nov 14, 2014 Idaho Art Lab rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
[This book was reviewed by Kimberly Weatherston, a volunteer with the Idaho Art Lab.]

I like the concept of this book. I really like the concept of creating a mystery to solve in order to get young people interested in studying famous artworks.

I really wanted to like the book, but in execution it doesn't quite live up to the concept. The setup is very simple and straightforward - here's what you need to do, here's how to do it, here's an example of how to solve one of the puzzles.

I think my bigg
Cathy Cramer
I did this book with my 4th grader. In it, you are the detective that studies various paintings to spot which ones are forgeries. There are 16 forgeries and 34 paintings, and this is not as easy as you might think. I missed one.

I thought the book was well done, and that it gave a good selection of various famous artists' works. It was a unique idea.
Naomi
May 02, 2015 Naomi rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book!! What a great way to "trick" kids into learning about art. While they are at it, they can do so math cyphering too in a fun manner. Just a really, really creative idea.
Kristy Mcghee
Nov 21, 2010 Kristy Mcghee rated it really liked it
Shelves: s-studies-books
This book was great! It is a graphic novel that teaches about priceless art from around the world. This book infuses art, social studies, and math. For social studies one could use it to tell about different parts of the world, the economics associated with art, and the cultures of the people about whom this art was created. The math integration the children are to find out the value of the art pieces. This book can be used in so many ways. I'm sure the art teacher in the school would appreciate ...more
Beronica
Oct 13, 2014 Beronica rated it really liked it
My 10 year old and I are having fun reading this together.
I see that it shows useful application skills in charting the money trail to forgers and sponsors!
Slick layout and description of art paintings.
Jo
Jun 24, 2015 Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, art
I've got to admit, this was pretty slick. I am not an art lover in any way, shape or form, but I really liked this book. It was a painless, fun way of looking at some famous pieces of art.
Peter
May 22, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing
Awesome awesome way to engage in fine art and study famous works by comparing originals and "forgeries". Accessible to ages 7-12, can be read alone ages 8-12 too.
Tyimera
Tyimera marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Em
Em marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Jun
Jun marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Maggie Banks
Maggie Banks marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
VAC
VAC added it
Jul 08, 2015
Scarlett
Scarlett rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015
Carolyne
Carolyne marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Lexi
Lexi rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2015
M
M marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Pinar
Pinar rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Arianna
Arianna rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2015
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Dolly
Dolly rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Jen
Jen added it
Jan 19, 2014
Carlos
Carlos rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2014