Start by marking “Ice on the Grapevine (A Hunter Rayne highway mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ice on the Grapevine (A Hunter Rayne highway mystery, #2)

Ice on the Grapevine (Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  39 reviews
On a warm July morning in L.A. County, a frozen corpse turns up at a highway brake check just south of the Grapevine Pass. Ex-homicide detective Hunter Rayne, who now drives an eighteen wheeler, is persuaded by his irascible dispatcher, Elspeth Watson, to help clear two fellow truck drivers who are arrested for the murder. His job is made more difficult by the fact that th ...more
Published October 31st 2011 by Proud Horse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ice on the Grapevine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice on the Grapevine

Hunter Rayne is a retired detective. He has to make a delivery to Grapevine L.A. That day they discover a frozen corpse and Hunter is persuaded to investigate. He finds himself in a very confusing and frustrating situation with many suspects and a very annoying co- worker,Then the case get a little more confusing when it gets carried over Vancouver because the victim could me a Canadian musician. Hunter must use all of his investigative skills and resources to solve the case.

I wanted to read thi
Dustin Thomas
I found myself interested in Ice On The Grapevine because it is a route I have often driven and have found in the past that murder mysteries that take place in areas I know tend to lend visuals to aid in immersion and suspension of disbelief.

What I was pleasantly surprised by was the author's depth of understanding not just of the ins and outs of law enforcement and trucking but her ability to convey this knowledge in a layman's fashion while using the proper terminology and protocol. You really
ICE ON THE GRAPEVINE, by R.E. Donald, kept me guessing until the end. The action moves quickly and you’ll have to read carefully to follow all the threads. The main character, Hunter Rayne, an ex-member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, now drives an 18-wheeler for a living. He’s pulled right into the thick of things, when his dispatcher, Elspeth Watson, calls him to pick up a load of nacho sauce. Turns out that newlyweds Ray and Sharon, the nacho sauce drivers, have been arrested on suspici ...more
Good story, OK ending but another of these so horrendously formatted Kindle books that it was almost impossible to read!
I have one special peeve, though, and that is that one of the best characters from the first book in the series, "Sorry", was completely left out of this story when he could have easily been an important part of it. I don't know if Ruth Donald realizes that she invented a character in "Sorry" that can rank right up there in Canadian mystery literature with Louise Penny's "Ruth

I like this sequel so much, I plan to read the first book. I enjoyed all of the characters and I was unable to guess who the killer was.

Not many novels I've read involved this many locations. I found this fascinating and all of the locations were realistic and enjoyable.

If I were told I have to pick the character in this book I like the least it would be Christine, Hunter Rayne's ex-wife. I say this only because she feels he's running from his past and she's so mean to him.

The twists and turns
Although I haven't read the first book in the Hunter Rayne series, it did not affect my enjoyment of Ice on the Grapevine. The plot and situations were intriguing, and kept me guessing to the end. I found the characters very believable, especially the women. There even were traces of humor and romance. I'm curious to see how Hunter and the other characters develop as the series progresses, and I plan to read the first volume. R.E. Donald is definitely an author to revisit.
I received a compliment
I won this on Goodreads. Hunter is a retired Canadian Mountie who now drives a truck. A husband & wife trucker team get arrested for murder after they find a frozen man in their trailer and they dump him on the side of the road. Hunter tries to help out in between his truck runs and seeing his children. The story line was good with a lot of character development. I didn't figure it out until late in the book instead of knowing who the bad guy is early on. I thought it went a little too long ...more
Hunter Rayne, a retired ex-Mountie-cum-trucker, reminds me of Clint Eastwood's tough guy characters, but Hunter is more soulful, and does not seek the limelight. He reminds me of Canadian TV detective DaVinci, of DaVinci's Inquest. Hunter is a complex lawman who retired after his RCMP partner committed suicide, and Hunter, haunted by his friend's death, took to the open road as big-rig trucker. Newly divorced, Hunter can barely make ends meet, and his relationship with his kids is shaky, but he' ...more
Theresa de Valence
One of the things I like about writers who have retired from other professions and taken up mystery writing is how interesting it is to find out details of the writer’s former business. In collecting recommendations for stories I have read from Crime Fiction members, I’ve been wandering through my memory of great crime fiction. I remembered R. E. Donald’s SLOW CURVE ON THE COQUIHALLA as an enjoyable story with fascinating information about the trucking industry. I’ve always loved the sound of wh ...more
Stanley McShane
Hunter Rayne (love the name) is a OTR long haul 18 wheel truck driver formerly a RCMP detective who took to the road to escape more than one unhappy situation. On the road he has LOTS of time for introspection and reflection, but it doesn't seem to resolve his loneliness and his reticence to become involved in another relationship. You can almost hear the growl of the big diesel, his "Blue Knight", and hear the whine of the tires on the road as he travels from BC to SoCal. A good guy, strong oth ...more
This story starts off slow, like a fully loaded semi pulling away from a stoplight. Then it builds speed steadily, again like a semi. That’s appropriate since Donald’s main character, Hunter Rayne, is a semi-truck driver.

Hunter is a low-key guy, which makes him a refreshing change from some of the macho he-man types found in many novels.

I see there’s a third novel in this series. I’m adding it to my ‘To Read’ list.
Nanci Rathbun
This intriguing mystery features a former Canadian Mountie, now a long-haul truck driver, who becomes involved in a case in which fellow truckers are suspected of murder by freezing a man to death in their refrigerated truck. The married couple who are accused of the murder refuse to cooperate in their own defense, for reasons that become more apparent as the story progresses, and this makes the investigation tougher.

I enjoyed the story - well written, with good editing and engaging characters.
While I don't usually read this genre, I was intrigued by the writing style. I was very pleasantly surprised to find myself engrossed in the story and anxious to find out what happens next. I was kept guessing right to the end. I liked that the characters were very believable and down to earth. I'm looking forward to the next Hunter Rayne mystery. Keep 'em coming, R.E.
I won this books on goodreads!

This is an interesting book and you can easely find yourself even if you dont have read the first one of the serie.
Briefly, a crime story on the road, with good character and a intrigue that keep the road and that keep you at it too.
I recommend it to everyone who like investigation of crime! Good book!
Literary  Chanteuse
I enjoyed the return of the hero sleuth in a different mystery to solve but with the same integrity and once again I was kept guessing. The author has chosen characters that really seem true to life old and new. I would have liked to see his romantic side explored just a little more but otherwise equally as good as the last book.
Lyle Nicholson
I believe this is the first in the series by this author, and as a first, I think it's quite good. However, I think this book could have been better by less development of some of the characters and sticking to some of the hard core procedural of the mystery.

There is some lagging when the story starts to develop too many characters, and does too much back story. I won't go into the ending, although good it left some unanswered questions.

I think this author has a great career ahead of them, and h
The title piqued my interest, especially since I now travel from SoCal over the Grapevine. Happily, this mystery kept me guessing until the end, a departure from the books I've been reading. Take 18-wheel truck drivers, a former Royal Canadian Mounted Policeman, LA homocide investigators, some musicians, and a few unsavory characters...and there you have the beginnings of this who-done-it. Tangled relationships and multiple suspects keep the book engaging. This was a free Kindle book selection, ...more
Another good Hunter the Trucker novel!

Really enjoy these stories, as a former long haul trucker myself, the author gets that part right. The murder mystery certainly keeps you guessing. Was not disappointed. Would have given it 5 stars but I have a problem the way the author breaks up the paragraphs when you go from one scene to the next. They all just run together. Could use some editing! Will still read the next book in the series.
Good read

If saddens me to say about that a good book this could have been. Whomever edited and printed it should be ashamed. All the story and chapters ran together with no ending nor beginning. Might I suggest Mr. Donald you find a new publisher, one that will treat your work as it should be. Great storyline and we will try one more of your works to see if editing has been corrected
"Ice on the Grapevine" was an enjoyable addition to the 'Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery' series about an ex RCMP officer turned trucker who helps others with his former detective skills. In this novel Hunter Rayne helps solve a cross border murder mystery. The likeable plot will keep you turning the pages until you learn who the real killer was.
This was a good read too (having just finished the review on Smile Now, Cry Later). Again I liked the different twist on a mystery story. The sleuth is not an amateur but a retired Canadian Mountie turned interstate trucker. Some insight into the trucking business which for me was interesting.
Ruth McCoy
Great read!

I was really surprised that I got so into this book! But I was hooked and couldn't get enough of it. Loved that they keep the real killer in the dark until the end. Really surprising but a damned good book!
Sally White
Another good story.

Great story of the trucking life. A good mystery about not always "good" people. This is an enjoyable series with solid characters appearing throughout. I am looking forward to reading more.
Susan Lee Thuener
Trucker ex-cop mystery

I found this very well done. I knew an over the road trucker and his travel routine was excellent. The mystery was built around the industry which made it quite exciting.
Mystery novel set in the world of long-haul truckers. The look into their world was fascinating. Good mystery with extremely likeable and interesting characters and fascinating setting.
Dwight Burgess
Intriguing,good read.

Different settings, characters and venues than other books. I enjoyed the characters and would like to see the areas of the story, except LA.
Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
A different mystery

One that presented a completely different intriguing and intensity from most mysteries. I do believe that they over used the four letter F word
charlotte a pals

Exciting funny and interesting. I've read his other mysteries. Enjoy his road stories. Drove truck myself and enjoyed the experience.
Nannette Thomas
Truckers on the loose

A great story of trucker life loneliness and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Romance, truckers and crooked cops make a great story
Vickie Knob
Good quirky characters

I liked the suspense and the story moved right along. The characters were quirky and interesting. Not my usual kind of read but as a truckers wife it was fun to read the jargon and be able to picture the trucks. Would be open to read this author again.
  • Aleutian Grave
  • Last Call
  • Strings of Glass (A Sydney Rye Novel, #4)
  • Bubble Screen (Burnside Series # 3)
  • Quinn Checks In (Liam Quinn Mysteries Book 1)
  • Soho Slasher: Jack Is Back: A Harbinger Crossover Novel to International Hunters, Inc.
  • Multiple Motives (A Kate Huntington Mystery, #1)
  • Wormwood (Wormwood #1)
  • Cache 72 (A Jaxon Jennings Novel)
  • Farewell, My Deuce (Reed Ferguson mystery series #4)
  • Bite Me
  • Cold Crossover: A Chilling Northwest Mystery
  • The Gray and Guilty Sea
  • Ties That Bind (Madison Knight, #1)
  • The Other Pilot
  • The Case of Tiffany's Epiphany (A Richard Sherlock Whodunit, #3)
  • Ghost in the Machine (Scott Cullen Mysteries #1)
  • The Killing League

Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery (4 books)
  • Slow Curve on the Coquihalla (A Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery, #1)
  • Sea to Sky (A Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery, #3)
  • Sundown on Top of the World (A Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery, #4)