Start by marking “Ice on the Grapevine (A Hunter Rayne highway mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ice on the Grapevine (A Hunter Rayne highway mystery, #2)

Ice on the Grapevine (Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  470 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
On a warm July morning in L.A. County, a frozen corpse turns up at a highway brake check just south of the Grapevine Pass. Ex-homicide detective Hunter Rayne, who now drives an eighteen wheeler, is persuaded by his irascible dispatcher, Elspeth Watson, to help clear two fellow truck drivers who are arrested for the murder. His job is made more difficult by the fact that th ...more
Published October 31st 2011 by Proud Horse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ice on the Grapevine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice on the Grapevine

Vicki
Apr 06, 2016 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hunter Rayne, a retired detective in Canada, is now a long haul trucker running between Vancouver and California. He is divorced, but is lonely for the security of home and family. He is good at his job and respected by his coworkers in the trucking industry as well as the law enforcement team he has left behind. He is the sort of retired detective that doesn't seek out trouble, but trouble seems to seek him out.

In this case, a husband and wife truck-driving team have found themselves held for q
Kareena
Feb 14, 2015 Kareena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: february
Hunter Rayne is a retired detective. He has to make a delivery to Grapevine L.A. That day they discover a frozen corpse and Hunter is persuaded to investigate. He finds himself in a very confusing and frustrating situation with many suspects and a very annoying co- worker,Then the case get a little more confusing when it gets carried over Vancouver because the victim could me a Canadian musician. Hunter must use all of his investigative skills and resources to solve the case.

I wanted to read thi
Dustin Thomas
Dec 08, 2012 Dustin Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I found myself interested in Ice On The Grapevine because it is a route I have often driven and have found in the past that murder mysteries that take place in areas I know tend to lend visuals to aid in immersion and suspension of disbelief.

What I was pleasantly surprised by was the author's depth of understanding not just of the ins and outs of law enforcement and trucking but her ability to convey this knowledge in a layman's fashion while using the proper terminology and protocol. You really
Nancy
May 27, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ICE ON THE GRAPEVINE, by R.E. Donald, kept me guessing until the end. The action moves quickly and you’ll have to read carefully to follow all the threads. The main character, Hunter Rayne, an ex-member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, now drives an 18-wheeler for a living. He’s pulled right into the thick of things, when his dispatcher, Elspeth Watson, calls him to pick up a load of nacho sauce. Turns out that newlyweds Ray and Sharon, the nacho sauce drivers, have been arrested on suspici ...more
Philip
Dec 06, 2014 Philip rated it liked it
Good story, OK ending but another of these so horrendously formatted Kindle books that it was almost impossible to read!
I have one special peeve, though, and that is that one of the best characters from the first book in the series, "Sorry", was completely left out of this story when he could have easily been an important part of it. I don't know if Ruth Donald realizes that she invented a character in "Sorry" that can rank right up there in Canadian mystery literature with Louise Penny's "Ruth
Rebecca
Jun 02, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I like this sequel so much, I plan to read the first book. I enjoyed all of the characters and I was unable to guess who the killer was.

Not many novels I've read involved this many locations. I found this fascinating and all of the locations were realistic and enjoyable.

If I were told I have to pick the character in this book I like the least it would be Christine, Hunter Rayne's ex-wife. I say this only because she feels he's running from his past and she's so mean to him.

The twists and turns
Pat
May 07, 2012 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Although I haven't read the first book in the Hunter Rayne series, it did not affect my enjoyment of Ice on the Grapevine. The plot and situations were intriguing, and kept me guessing to the end. I found the characters very believable, especially the women. There even were traces of humor and romance. I'm curious to see how Hunter and the other characters develop as the series progresses, and I plan to read the first volume. R.E. Donald is definitely an author to revisit.
I received a compliment
Michele
I won this on Goodreads. Hunter is a retired Canadian Mountie who now drives a truck. A husband & wife trucker team get arrested for murder after they find a frozen man in their trailer and they dump him on the side of the road. Hunter tries to help out in between his truck runs and seeing his children. The story line was good with a lot of character development. I didn't figure it out until late in the book instead of knowing who the bad guy is early on. I thought it went a little too long ...more
MoHurley
Jun 20, 2015 MoHurley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hunter Rayne, a retired ex-Mountie-cum-trucker, reminds me of Clint Eastwood's tough guy characters, but Hunter is more soulful, and does not seek the limelight. He reminds me of Canadian TV detective DaVinci, of DaVinci's Inquest. Hunter is a complex lawman who retired after his RCMP partner committed suicide, and Hunter, haunted by his friend's death, took to the open road as big-rig trucker. Newly divorced, Hunter can barely make ends meet, and his relationship with his kids is shaky, but he' ...more
Theresa de Valence
Sep 19, 2014 Theresa de Valence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
One of the things I like about writers who have retired from other professions and taken up mystery writing is how interesting it is to find out details of the writer’s former business. In collecting recommendations for stories I have read from Crime Fiction members, I’ve been wandering through my memory of great crime fiction. I remembered R. E. Donald’s SLOW CURVE ON THE COQUIHALLA as an enjoyable story with fascinating information about the trucking industry. I’ve always loved the sound of wh ...more
Stanley McShane
Nov 22, 2014 Stanley McShane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hunter Rayne (love the name) is a OTR long haul 18 wheel truck driver formerly a RCMP detective who took to the road to escape more than one unhappy situation. On the road he has LOTS of time for introspection and reflection, but it doesn't seem to resolve his loneliness and his reticence to become involved in another relationship. You can almost hear the growl of the big diesel, his "Blue Knight", and hear the whine of the tires on the road as he travels from BC to SoCal. A good guy, strong oth ...more
Rosemary Cantrell
I enjoyed this book. It is a standard mystery, but with some different hooks. The main character, Hunter, is a Canadian cop turned long-haul trucker. The body is found frozen solid. The suspects, friends of Hunter, are newly weds in love, but she has a questionable past. There are the usual bits of drugs, guns, stake outs, close calls, etc.

I liked Hunter because he is a decent man. So often detectives are as shady as the characters they are looking for. There are some humor moments, as well, es
Quillracer
Jan 30, 2015 Quillracer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
This story starts off slow, like a fully loaded semi pulling away from a stoplight. Then it builds speed steadily, again like a semi. That’s appropriate since Donald’s main character, Hunter Rayne, is a semi-truck driver.

Hunter is a low-key guy, which makes him a refreshing change from some of the macho he-man types found in many novels.

I see there’s a third novel in this series. I’m adding it to my ‘To Read’ list.
Nanci Rathbun
Nov 05, 2014 Nanci Rathbun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This intriguing mystery features a former Canadian Mountie, now a long-haul truck driver, who becomes involved in a case in which fellow truckers are suspected of murder by freezing a man to death in their refrigerated truck. The married couple who are accused of the murder refuse to cooperate in their own defense, for reasons that become more apparent as the story progresses, and this makes the investigation tougher.

I enjoyed the story - well written, with good editing and engaging characters.
Loreena
While I don't usually read this genre, I was intrigued by the writing style. I was very pleasantly surprised to find myself engrossed in the story and anxious to find out what happens next. I was kept guessing right to the end. I liked that the characters were very believable and down to earth. I'm looking forward to the next Hunter Rayne mystery. Keep 'em coming, R.E.
Etienne02breton
Dec 21, 2012 Etienne02breton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this books on goodreads!

This is an interesting book and you can easely find yourself even if you dont have read the first one of the serie.
Briefly, a crime story on the road, with good character and a intrigue that keep the road and that keep you at it too.
I recommend it to everyone who like investigation of crime! Good book!
Literary  Chanteuse
I enjoyed the return of the hero sleuth in a different mystery to solve but with the same integrity and once again I was kept guessing. The author has chosen characters that really seem true to life old and new. I would have liked to see his romantic side explored just a little more but otherwise equally as good as the last book.
Lyle Nicholson
I believe this is the first in the series by this author, and as a first, I think it's quite good. However, I think this book could have been better by less development of some of the characters and sticking to some of the hard core procedural of the mystery.

There is some lagging when the story starts to develop too many characters, and does too much back story. I won't go into the ending, although good it left some unanswered questions.

I think this author has a great career ahead of them, and h
Jan
Nov 05, 2014 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title piqued my interest, especially since I now travel from SoCal over the Grapevine. Happily, this mystery kept me guessing until the end, a departure from the books I've been reading. Take 18-wheel truck drivers, a former Royal Canadian Mounted Policeman, LA homocide investigators, some musicians, and a few unsavory characters...and there you have the beginnings of this who-done-it. Tangled relationships and multiple suspects keep the book engaging. This was a free Kindle book selection, ...more
John
Oct 18, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good Hunter the Trucker novel!

Really enjoy these stories, as a former long haul trucker myself, the author gets that part right. The murder mystery certainly keeps you guessing. Was not disappointed. Would have given it 5 stars but I have a problem the way the author breaks up the paragraphs when you go from one scene to the next. They all just run together. Could use some editing! Will still read the next book in the series.
MARY STEPP
Sep 28, 2015 MARY STEPP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

If saddens me to say about that a good book this could have been. Whomever edited and printed it should be ashamed. All the story and chapters ran together with no ending nor beginning. Might I suggest Mr. Donald you find a new publisher, one that will treat your work as it should be. Great storyline and we will try one more of your works to see if editing has been corrected
Keith
Mar 13, 2014 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"Ice on the Grapevine" was an enjoyable addition to the 'Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery' series about an ex RCMP officer turned trucker who helps others with his former detective skills. In this novel Hunter Rayne helps solve a cross border murder mystery. The likeable plot will keep you turning the pages until you learn who the real killer was.
Dale Van
May 24, 2016 Dale Van rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Icy death on the border.

Hunter Rayne is one cool, calm and collected individual. He is very deliberate and loyal to his friends. The trip to the end of the book is winding, intriguing and deliberate.
Very interesting characters, situations and premise.
All in all a very good book.
Linda
Sep 17, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read too (having just finished the review on Smile Now, Cry Later). Again I liked the different twist on a mystery story. The sleuth is not an amateur but a retired Canadian Mountie turned interstate trucker. Some insight into the trucking business which for me was interesting.
Ruth McCoy
Dec 03, 2014 Ruth McCoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

I was really surprised that I got so into this book! But I was hooked and couldn't get enough of it. Loved that they keep the real killer in the dark until the end. Really surprising but a damned good book!
Sally White
Sep 10, 2015 Sally White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good story.

Great story of the trucking life. A good mystery about not always "good" people. This is an enjoyable series with solid characters appearing throughout. I am looking forward to reading more.
Susan Lee Thuener
Sep 10, 2015 Susan Lee Thuener rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trucker ex-cop mystery

I found this very well done. I knew an over the road trucker and his travel routine was excellent. The mystery was built around the industry which made it quite exciting.
Susan
Dec 20, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When two fellow truckers are accused of murder , a frozen corpse at a brake check just south of the Grapevine Pass in L.A. is discovered in their truck, and both refuse to talk, Hunter Rayne tried to find the truth.
Joe Vitucci
An easy read. A former policeman turned trucker does some p.I. work. His boss is a real case. The trucker seems to be lonely but was hurt in the past. or was he at fault??? I enjoyed the book.
Chris
Nov 04, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystery novel set in the world of long-haul truckers. The look into their world was fascinating. Good mystery with extremely likeable and interesting characters and fascinating setting.
  • Aleutian Grave
  • Last Call
  • Cache 72 (A Jaxon Jennings Novel)
  • Soho Slasher: Jack Is Back: A Harbinger Crossover Novel to International Hunters, Inc.
  • Strings of Glass (A Sydney Rye Novel, #4)
  • Bubble Screen (Burnside Series # 3)
  • Wormwood (Wormwood #1)
  • Multiple Motives (A Kate Huntington Mystery, #1)
  • Farewell, My Deuce (Reed Ferguson Mystery #4)
  • Mayhem in Christmas River (Christmas River Cozy Mysteries, #2)
  • Just Deserts (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #4)
  • Cold Crossover (Ernie Creekmore)
  • Unforeseen
  • Don't Be A Stranger (Valerie Inkerman #1)
  • Bite Me
  • Depth of Deception (A Titanic Murder Mystery)
  • Baggage Claim (Tru Exceptions, #1)
  • Polar Night

Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery (4 books)
  • Slow Curve on the Coquihalla (A Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery, #1)
  • Sea to Sky (A Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery, #3)
  • Sundown on Top of the World (A Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery, #4)