Ice on the Grapevine (A Hunter Rayne highway mystery, #2)

Ice on the Grapevine (Hunter Rayne highway mystery #2)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  10 reviews
On a warm July morning in L.A. County, a frozen corpse turns up at a highway brake check just south of the Grapevine Pass. Ex-homicide detective Hunter Rayne, who now drives an eighteen wheeler, is persuaded by his irascible dispatcher, Elspeth Watson, to help clear two fellow truck drivers who are arrested for the murder. His job is made more difficult by the fact that th...more
Published October 31st 2011 by Proud Horse Publishing

Dustin Thomas
I found myself interested in Ice On The Grapevine because it is a route I have often driven and have found in the past that murder mysteries that take place in areas I know tend to lend visuals to aid in immersion and suspension of disbelief.

What I was pleasantly surprised by was the author's depth of understanding not just of the ins and outs of law enforcement and trucking but her ability to convey this knowledge in a layman's fashion while using the proper terminology and protocol. You really...more
Nancy
ICE ON THE GRAPEVINE, by R.E. Donald, kept me guessing until the end. The action moves quickly and you’ll have to read carefully to follow all the threads. The main character, Hunter Rayne, an ex-member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, now drives an 18-wheeler for a living. He’s pulled right into the thick of things, when his dispatcher, Elspeth Watson, calls him to pick up a load of nacho sauce. Turns out that newlyweds Ray and Sharon, the nacho sauce drivers, have been arrested on suspici...more
Rebecca

I like this sequel so much, I plan to read the first book. I enjoyed all of the characters and I was unable to guess who the killer was.

Not many novels I've read involved this many locations. I found this fascinating and all of the locations were realistic and enjoyable.

If I were told I have to pick the character in this book I like the least it would be Christine, Hunter Rayne's ex-wife. I say this only because she feels he's running from his past and she's so mean to him.

The twists and turns...more
Pat
Although I haven't read the first book in the Hunter Rayne series, it did not affect my enjoyment of Ice on the Grapevine. The plot and situations were intriguing, and kept me guessing to the end. I found the characters very believable, especially the women. There even were traces of humor and romance. I'm curious to see how Hunter and the other characters develop as the series progresses, and I plan to read the first volume. R.E. Donald is definitely an author to revisit.
I received a compliment...more
Michele
I won this on Goodreads. Hunter is a retired Canadian Mountie who now drives a truck. A husband & wife trucker team get arrested for murder after they find a frozen man in their trailer and they dump him on the side of the road. Hunter tries to help out in between his truck runs and seeing his children. The story line was good with a lot of character development. I didn't figure it out until late in the book instead of knowing who the bad guy is early on. I thought it went a little too long...more
Loreena
While I don't usually read this genre, I was intrigued by the writing style. I was very pleasantly surprised to find myself engrossed in the story and anxious to find out what happens next. I was kept guessing right to the end. I liked that the characters were very believable and down to earth. I'm looking forward to the next Hunter Rayne mystery. Keep 'em coming, R.E.
Etienne02breton
I won this books on goodreads!

This is an interesting book and you can easely find yourself even if you dont have read the first one of the serie.
Briefly, a crime story on the road, with good character and a intrigue that keep the road and that keep you at it too.
I recommend it to everyone who like investigation of crime! Good book!
Literary  Chanteuse
I enjoyed the return of the hero sleuth in a different mystery to solve but with the same integrity and once again I was kept guessing. The author has chosen characters that really seem true to life old and new. I would have liked to see his romantic side explored just a little more but otherwise equally as good as the last book.
Keith
"Ice on the Grapevine" was an enjoyable addition to the 'Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery' series about an ex RCMP officer turned trucker who helps others with his former detective skills. In this novel Hunter Rayne helps solve a cross border murder mystery. The likeable plot will keep you turning the pages until you learn who the real killer was.
Mark
Great book. The book is very well written with a great twist in the plot at the end. I love the main character (Hunter) and the way he carries himself. He is very relatable. The only down side was some of the language in spots. Other than that I was very impressed & look forward to reading more books by R.E. Donald.
Johnny
Johnny marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
L-D
L-D marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Oceania Lei
Oceania Lei marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Tina Reynolds
Tina Reynolds marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Robert Cojocaru
Robert Cojocaru marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2013
Hate2beLate
Hate2beLate marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2013
Mary Ann Donaghy
Mary Ann Donaghy marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Slow Curve on the Coquihalla (A Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery, #1) Sea to Sky (A Hunter Rayne highway mystery, #3)