From Out in the Cold

From Out in the Cold

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  497 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Neil Dalton’s foundation is already cracking. Grief, guilt, and PTSD have ruled his life since a terrible crime tore his world apart last year, and he’s dreading a holiday visit with the family he simultaneously needs and resents. Then someone from his past shows up and rattles that shaky foundation right out from under him.

First a war nearly destroyed Jeremy Kelley. Then...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Loose Id

SheReadsALot

I, ah...I, um...liked it?

I think I might have.

*ponders*

I didn't hate it. That's a step in the right direction, I guess?

I thought it was going to be some angsty, epic, PTSD, sexual tension between damaged men. And it was just a drawn out (should have been) novella.

Neil is suffering from not being able to come out to his family and share a traumatic event that has been driving him crazy...literally. And I get his sense of guilt but he took it to an extreme at times. And he helps an estranged bes...more
Enny
Fantastic story about two friends who both have to deal with PTSD and although the author didn't gloss any of the difficulties of dealing with it over, it was a very enjoyable read. The last chapter made me all teary-eyed.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I think your enjoyment of this story really depends on how you much 'romance' you want and how well you deal with two MCs with serious mental health issues, this is more of a love story and less of a romance, at least to me.
I found it a heavy read with serious and dark issues, but it wasn't depressing for me, and I only teared up at one point in the story, and that's the mother in me wanting to take Jeremy's parents and shake some sense into them and give Jeremy a big hug and the family he dese...more
Kaje Harper
This is a story about two former best friends, who almost became lovers but backed away from the intensity. As the book opens, they are both at a low point in life, and finally meeting up after years apart. Both have PTSD due to violence in their pasts, and this gives them a connection and an intrinsic understanding of each other that helped me believe in the fast way they came together. This book is about the healing, not the trauma, so it has painful, achy moments, but not deep angst. Some of...more
Trisha Harrington
This is one of those sad books that you so want to turn around and become happy. The blurb does not describe this book well enough. There are a few flashbacks but not a whole lot. The story itself is in the present but has a lot of the past twisted in. Sometimes in flashbacks other times just from a character talking about it.

The reason this book is getting 4 stars instead of 5 is because as much as I loved the story. I could not get past Bruce being brought up so much. One thing that annoyed me...more
Stephanie
First of all, I thought this was going to be a very depressing and angsty read because of all the issues the MCs have but it didn’t turn out that way. this was an ok read for me. I didn’t love it nor hated it. It’s written from both MCs point of view (alternating POVs per chapter). Neil and Jeremy tried to be together twice before but didn’t make it due to lack of communication. The first part of the book was frustrating because they still we not communicating. Eventually, they opened up to each...more
❧Gwen❤❦
OooOh My Gawd....

Now this was indeed A Very Hard Earned Happy Ever After...for ME, Jeramy and Neil~

This is an ABSOLUTELY Beautiful Love Story of Neil and Jeramy~

A Love Story Depicting Love, Hope and Destiny At Its Best!

P. S...The Title Is So Freaking Perfect...and the only reason I gave this 4 stars was for the touches of angst. with the dead boyfriend..not my fav...❤️
Susan65-Coug
3.5 Stars

This was not your typical romance, but it was a love story. Both guys are seriously hurting emotionally and suffering from PTSD, Jeremy, from three tours in the Middle East, and Neil, from watching his lover being attacked and killed. They both are dealing with parents that are less than accepting of their being gay. Jeremy’s family completely disowns him and Neil’s family doesn’t allow the “gay” into their home. So needless to say, there is a lot of angst in this one.

Neil suffers horri...more
Barbie
Oh. My. Goodness. Grab a nice cozy blanket! Get a cup of hot chocolate! Make sure you have a big box of tissues with you and sit down to read this book! It was absolutely great!! I could not put it down. The beginning starts with Neil walking home from his grief counselor to find his old best friend Jeremy, who just got out of the Army, huddled in the freezing cold in front of his apartment in Chicago. That should tell you how the rest of the book will go.

I can hardly put into words how beautifu...more
Nova
I knew that From Out in the Cold wouldn’t be an easy read, but it was more than that: It was frustrating, depressing, emotional and full of angst. Jeremy and Neil both have experienced cruel things they don’t want to speak about and when they finally do… *sighs*
Definitely not a funny or light book. To be honest, it was a little too depressing most of the time. Sure, with the last chapters I got my happy ending, but I wouldn’t want to read it again.
I’m not saying it was a bad book – I really en...more
Sunne
Yeah - that one put me through the wringer. Excellent.

I suffered with both and I cried some times. And I smiled and hoped and was more than relieved when they finally got toegether.

I was a bit annoyed that they didn't talk to each other at the beginning...wrong, not at the beginning of this story but more in the past. Twice they failed to talk in the past. And now they were afraid to fuck up the friendship they both needed so much.

So when they did, it was a great relief.

I wanted to punch Jerem...more
Anke
This was a wonderful book. I was hesitant to start reading as I was under the impression of starting a depressing, dreary book. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. Yes, both MCs, Neil and Jeremy had some very difficult events in their past and it came up every now and then, but they also started to open up to each other and so helping each other to cope with it. The way Neil's relationship with his parents changed, in big part because of Jeremy, was very endearing. Especially the scene at the cove...more
Shelby P
I debated whether this should be 2 stars or 3 stars and finally decided on 3. I didn't really like Neil but Jeremy broke my heart. I really felt for Jeremy and can't believe his family would do that to him, a guy who just got back from serving his country. Some people shouldn't have kids, for real.

I don't think there was much romance in this book. I also didn't like that the guys hooked up in Neil's parents' house when the mother wasn't keen on her son being gay. That just took something away fr...more
Veronica / V
I really like this story, until it reached this part.

The didn't see each other or contact each other for more than 5 years but a few days later they were devoting love to each other...yeah right.
Specially when Neil is still devastated by the dead of his boyfriend and still mourning for his loss. It took a few stars from my rating.
Gigi
Nov 08, 2013 Gigi marked it as queue-back-burner
The fabulous JesseWave gave this puppy 5+ Stars! I am super psyched, but it is an angstfest, so I'm going to wait until the weekend to get stated.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!
Ije the Devourer of Books
A great story and deeply satisfying but a bit sad too.

Neil and Jeremy are boyhood friends. They grew up together and then grew apart. Jeremy went off to the army and Neil settled into his career. They both had a kind of sexual flirtation with each other in the past but it only made their friendship awkward and this was part of the reason they drifted apart.

Years later Neil comes home to find Jeremy waiting for him on the doorstep. Both men are suffering from trauma and both men are kind of excl...more
Dumbledore11214
I think that this book is one of the best books by this writer that I have ever read. I loved Neil and Jeremy, I thought that PTSD they both had for different reasons was realistically handled (even though I am not an expert) and I really liked how the fact that they reconnected and eventually made it towards their hard earned happy ending did not make their illnesses magically dissappear, it just made it easier to bear and to work towards feeling better.
Kelster
I thought this book was good but I didn't feel a complete connection with the characters. I saw this book being about two damaged men that have loved each other for years but lost each other as well because they weren't ready to take on all that their love encompassed. The book tackled some relevant issues about war, tragedy and therapy and there was some resolution about acceptance.
Bitchie (M/M addict)
I usually love LA Witt, but this one was just middle of the road for me. I didn't particularly connect with either character, and I didn't feel that intense pull and awesome chemistry I usually get when I read a Witt book. It was a solid story, and I felt it dealt with the PTSD issues quite well.
Feliz
Dec 22, 2012 Feliz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of hurt/ comfort
A compelling and intense read. Neil and Jeremy are both scarred by life, but that's what makes them so good for each other.
Silkeeeeee
I nice, sweet romance about two men that grew up together. Some PTSD problems and some coming out problems. There is an HEA.
Melora
★★★½ - Good, worth a reread.
(view spoiler)...more
Bea
I read some of the reviews and there was all of the talk about the ex and the angst. I have to wonder did I read a different book? Yes, the characters had to deal with death, grief, and PTSD, but I found it simply and respectfully done.

What bothered me the most is how one set of parents act about the son's sexuality. I know it's a reality, but it always boggles my mind how hateful they can be when it's "sinful" or "disgusting" to the parent. Of course this is a fictional story, but I know that i...more
Jess Candela
I don't know if it's intrinsic to the book or just the timing of when I read it, but I shed many tears while reading it. I ached for these guys and all they went through. And I found myself wishing I, too, could have known Bruce. I hope Matt will get his own story. He's clearly going to need some help with all he's got on his plate, and I'm rooting for him to get his own HEA.

The story was engrossing, despite periodically having to double-check which POV I was in because the voices sounded the sa...more
Kukko
I caught myself grinning at the end of this book….FINALLY…. it had been a longtime coming.

This story starts off dark and depressing, as we are introduced to Neil and Jeremy, both suffering from PTSD - Neil because he was a victim of a hate crime and Jeremy because of his experiences at war.

As the story progresses, it's still dark but more hope is interjected - we learn the extent of the MCs major challenges and their efforts to address them. We also learn that although some challenges may never...more
Ron Caron
An emotional read and overall, very well written. I went through a half a box of Kleenex, to be honest.

I'ts difficult to write a story with so much background and history based on extremely painful and heart-wrenching events for the main characters. LA Witt navigates these waters well with a finely honed pen and well-chosen words. Occasionally the angst can be overwhelming, but the story as a whole is told with honesty and realism. Not everything in a romance novel needs to end with a nicely wra...more
Shannon
More than 4 but less than 4.5, damn those whole stars! My gawd did I need some tissues for this freaking book. Both of these guys were in so much pain it just jumped off the damned page and smacked you in the face. I loved it! Great story, fabulous MCs and so much emotion. Not a whole lot of smexing going on but it's not missed at all. They have enough going on at first to deal with that. Great read!
Mandi
3.5 stars rounded up. Good solid writing. Angsty, but with more of a healing vibe than angst overload. I really liked both characters and seeing them open up to each other was great (loved the covered bridge scene!) Thought they were great as friends and pretty damn hot as lovers. :)
Jules
Not crazy about this book. Loved the story line but somehow it came across as boring. Something was missing in the writing. I couldn't quite get into the emotions of the characters. Plus, I thought it was pricey or a shorter book.
  • Black Hawk Tattoo
  • A Beautiful Disaster
  • Xylophone
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • I Don't: A Christmas Wish
  • Only Love
  • Mourning Heaven
  • Half Moon Chambers
  • Lost Won (Liaisons #3)
  • The Final Line (Recon Diaries #3)
  • The Coil
  • The Boys and the Bees
  • Rentboy
L.A. Witt is an abnormal M/M romance writer who, after three years in Okinawa, Japan, has recently relocated to Omaha, Nebraska, with her husband, two cats, and a three-headed clairvoyant parakeet named Fred. There is some speculation that this move was not actually because of her husband's military orders, but to help L. A. close in on her arch nemesis, erotica author Lauren Gallagher, who has al...more
More about L.A. Witt...
Rules of Engagement (Rules of Engagement, #1) Quid Pro Quo (Market Garden, #1) Where Nerves End (Tucker Springs, #1) The Closer You Get (Distance Between Us, #2) Covet Thy Neighbor (Tucker Springs, #4)