Start by marking “From Out in the Cold” as Want to Read:
From Out in the Cold

From Out in the Cold

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,063 Ratings  ·  152 Reviews
Neil Dalton’s foundation is already cracking. Grief, guilt, and PTSD have ruled his life since a terrible crime tore his world apart last year, and he’s dreading a holiday visit with the family he simultaneously needs and resents. Then someone from his past shows up and rattles that shaky foundation right out from under him.

First a war nearly destroyed Jeremy Kelley. Then
Published December 4th 2012 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about From Out in the Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Out in the Cold

SheReadsALot

I, ah...I, um...liked it?

I think I might have.

*ponders*

I didn't hate it. That's a step in the right direction, I guess?

I thought it was going to be some angsty, epic, PTSD, sexual tension between damaged men. And it was just a drawn out (should have been) novella.

Neil is suffering from not being able to come out to his family and share a traumatic event that has been driving him crazy...literally. And I get his sense of guilt but he took it to an extreme at times. And he helps an estranged bes
Kaje Harper
Sep 09, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, intense
This is a story about two former best friends, who almost became lovers but backed away from the intensity. As the book opens, they are both at a low point in life, and finally meeting up after years apart. Both have PTSD due to violence in their pasts, and this gives them a connection and an intrinsic understanding of each other that helped me believe in the fast way they came together. This book is about the healing, not the trauma, so it has painful, achy moments, but not deep angst. Some of ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Another L.A. Witt Kindle freebie! 6/30/15!
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I think your enjoyment of this story really depends on how you much 'romance' you want and how well you deal with two MCs with serious mental health issues, this is more of a love story and less of a romance, at least to me.
I found it a heavy read with serious and dark issues, but it wasn't depressing for me, and I only teared up at one point in the story, and that's the mother in me wanting to take Jeremy's parents and shake some sense into them and give Jeremy a big hug and the family he dese
Enny
Dec 13, 2012 Enny rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story about two friends who both have to deal with PTSD and although the author didn't gloss any of the difficulties of dealing with it over, it was a very enjoyable read. The last chapter made me all teary-eyed.
Debra
Free today on Amazon 6/30/15
Trisha Harrington
This is one of those sad books that you so want to turn around and become happy. The blurb does not describe this book well enough. There are a few flashbacks but not a whole lot. The story itself is in the present but has a lot of the past twisted in. Sometimes in flashbacks other times just from a character talking about it.

The reason this book is getting 4 stars instead of 5 is because as much as I loved the story. I could not get past Bruce being brought up so much. One thing that annoyed me
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★
OooOh My Gawd....

This is an ABSOLUTELY Beautiful Love Story~

of Neil and Jeramy~

A Love Story Depicting Love, Hope and Destiny~
Stephanie
Dec 07, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
First of all, I thought this was going to be a very depressing and angsty read because of all the issues the MCs have but it didn’t turn out that way. this was an ok read for me. I didn’t love it nor hated it. It’s written from both MCs point of view (alternating POVs per chapter). Neil and Jeremy tried to be together twice before but didn’t make it due to lack of communication. The first part of the book was frustrating because they still we not communicating. Eventually, they opened up to each ...more
Lori
Sep 20, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Wow. This book was on a freebie promotion and I'm so glad I read it. friends to lovers is my trope and this worked completely for me.
Susan65
Dec 16, 2012 Susan65 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

This was not your typical romance, but it was a love story. Both guys are seriously hurting emotionally and suffering from PTSD, Jeremy, from three tours in the Middle East, and Neil, from watching his lover being attacked and killed. They both are dealing with parents that are less than accepting of their being gay. Jeremy’s family completely disowns him and Neil’s family doesn’t allow the “gay” into their home. So needless to say, there is a lot of angst in this one.

Neil suffers horri
Nova
I knew that From Out in the Cold wouldn’t be an easy read, but it was more than that: It was frustrating, depressing, emotional and full of angst. Jeremy and Neil both have experienced cruel things they don’t want to speak about and when they finally do… *sighs*
Definitely not a funny or light book. To be honest, it was a little too depressing most of the time. Sure, with the last chapters I got my happy ending, but I wouldn’t want to read it again.
I’m not saying it was a bad book – I really en
Gigi
The fabulous JesseWave gave this puppy 5+ Stars! I am super psyched, but it is an angstfest, so I'm going to wait until the weekend to get stated.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!
Ele
Sep 18, 2015 Ele added it
Shelves: i-rest-my-case
Dnf at 60%

Sorry, everything and everyone pisses me off in this book. And the parents are constantly there. Some other time I would have probably try harder but I'm not in the right state of mind to keep pushing now.

So...no rating:(
Lelyana

~ 4,5* ~

Oh, my...tears...
This is beautiful, both Jeremy and Neil are not perfect, far from perfect even.
I don't think this a usual Holiday fluffy story I read during Holiday. But it works for me.

I had a hard time near the end of the book, when Neil and Jeremy at Neil's parent's house on Christmas.
You need some tissues on that part.
But it's worth it.
Two fucked up in the head, best friends since they're little boys, and losing each other, continued with their lives, and life happened.

Nothing is
Barbie
Dec 09, 2012 Barbie rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness. Grab a nice cozy blanket! Get a cup of hot chocolate! Make sure you have a big box of tissues with you and sit down to read this book! It was absolutely great!! I could not put it down. The beginning starts with Neil walking home from his grief counselor to find his old best friend Jeremy, who just got out of the Army, huddled in the freezing cold in front of his apartment in Chicago. That should tell you how the rest of the book will go.

I can hardly put into words how beautifu
Veronica /  V
I really like this story, until it reached this part.

The didn't see each other or contact each other for more than 5 years but a few days later they were devoting love to each other...yeah right.
Specially when Neil is still devastated by the dead of his boyfriend and still mourning for his loss. It took a few stars from my rating.
Sunne
Dec 05, 2012 Sunne rated it it was amazing
Yeah - that one put me through the wringer. Excellent.

I suffered with both and I cried some times. And I smiled and hoped and was more than relieved when they finally got toegether.

I was a bit annoyed that they didn't talk to each other at the beginning...wrong, not at the beginning of this story but more in the past. Twice they failed to talk in the past. And now they were afraid to fuck up the friendship they both needed so much.

So when they did, it was a great relief.

I wanted to punch Jerem
CrabbyPatty
Jan 03, 2016 CrabbyPatty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
A beautiful heartfelt story, wonderfully told. Neil and Jeremy are childhood friends and past lovers, and after a 5-year period of time with no contact, Jeremy turns up on Neil's doorstep one cold December night. Jeremy did three tours in the Middle East, and left the military after 8 years, suffering from PTSD and has nowhere to go after his family disowned him for being gay. Neil suffered an unimaginable tragedy and is struggling, while having a family who loves him, but doesn't want to hear a ...more
Anke
Dec 08, 2013 Anke rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book. I was hesitant to start reading as I was under the impression of starting a depressing, dreary book. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. Yes, both MCs, Neil and Jeremy had some very difficult events in their past and it came up every now and then, but they also started to open up to each other and so helping each other to cope with it. The way Neil's relationship with his parents changed, in big part because of Jeremy, was very endearing. Especially the scene at the cove ...more
Shelby P
Sep 11, 2013 Shelby P rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, military
I debated whether this should be 2 stars or 3 stars and finally decided on 3. I didn't really like Neil but Jeremy broke my heart. I really felt for Jeremy and can't believe his family would do that to him, a guy who just got back from serving his country. Some people shouldn't have kids, for real.

I don't think there was much romance in this book. I also didn't like that the guys hooked up in Neil's parents' house when the mother wasn't keen on her son being gay. That just took something away fr
Pjm12
There's a lot of sadness here. Both MCs suffer loss and grief and stress, and it's only when they relax with each other, do they feel safe.

It was a bit insta-love, but they had known each other as teenagers and college students, so I guess it makes sense that they feel comfortable after 5 years apart (I think).

Nice xmas moments with friends, and dealing with Neil's parents is an important step forward for him to be able to move on with his life.

Intense.
Kelster
Sep 17, 2013 Kelster rated it liked it
I thought this book was good but I didn't feel a complete connection with the characters. I saw this book being about two damaged men that have loved each other for years but lost each other as well because they weren't ready to take on all that their love encompassed. The book tackled some relevant issues about war, tragedy and therapy and there was some resolution about acceptance.
Silkeeeeee
I nice, sweet romance about two men that grew up together. Some PTSD problems and some coming out problems. There is an HEA.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Sep 07, 2013 Ije the Devourer of Books rated it it was amazing
A great story and deeply satisfying but a bit sad too.

Neil and Jeremy are boyhood friends. They grew up together and then grew apart. Jeremy went off to the army and Neil settled into his career. They both had a kind of sexual flirtation with each other in the past but it only made their friendship awkward and this was part of the reason they drifted apart.

Years later Neil comes home to find Jeremy waiting for him on the doorstep. Both men are suffering from trauma and both men are kind of excl
Karlijn
I finished it two days ago and I'm still thinking of it. I can't explain my feelings about it, because this story touched me pretty hard. So you have to believe me on my beautiful eyes ;) and just read it.

FantasyLiving
Sweet story about two childhood friends reconnecting after being knocked down by life.

Neil is grieving the death of his lover, and trying to summon the courage to go home for Christmas to his homophobic family.

Jeremy has left the Army after 8 years, and has been exiled by his homophobic family, after an ex boyfriend throws a tantrum and sends personal emails to them. The only place he can think to go is Neil's place in Chicago. But when he gets there, the Neil he knew as a boy, is not the man wh
Dumbledore11214
Dec 14, 2012 Dumbledore11214 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-romance
I think that this book is one of the best books by this writer that I have ever read. I loved Neil and Jeremy, I thought that PTSD they both had for different reasons was realistically handled (even though I am not an expert) and I really liked how the fact that they reconnected and eventually made it towards their hard earned happy ending did not make their illnesses magically dissappear, it just made it easier to bear and to work towards feeling better.
Bitchie *Bored Now*
I usually love LA Witt, but this one was just middle of the road for me. I didn't particularly connect with either character, and I didn't feel that intense pull and awesome chemistry I usually get when I read a Witt book. It was a solid story, and I felt it dealt with the PTSD issues quite well.
Zaza
Dec 06, 2015 Zaza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, sp-arc, ptsd
3.5/5

Vous aimez les histoires d'amitié amoureuse ? Les héros ayant un PTSD ? Les deux en même temps ? Banco ! Ce roman ce L.A Witt contient tout cela à la fois et laissez-moi vous dire tout de suite que je l'ai bien apprécié !

La narration alterne entre la voix de Neil et celle de Jeremy. Deux hommes amis depuis longtemps, ils se sont perdus de vue depuis cinq ans. En cinq ans, beaucoup de choses peuvent changer ... L'un comme l'autre ont vécu des évènements dramatiques qui les ont laissé dans
  • Black Hawk Tattoo
  • Only Love (Only Love #1)
  • The Final Line (Recon Diaries #3)
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • When One Door Opens
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • Into Deep Waters
  • Mourning Heaven
  • Xylophone
  • Wild Raspberries (Dan & Tyler, #1)
  • After the End
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
  • The General and the Horse-Lord (The General and the Horse-Lord #1)
  • Cost of Repairs (Cost of Repairs, #1)
  • Don't Trust the Cut
  • Love, Like Water
  • Latakia
  • The Dreams You Made in the Dirt
L.A. Witt is an abnormal M/M romance writer who has finally been released from the purgatorial corn maze of Omaha, Nebraska, and now spends her time on the southwestern coast of Spain. In between wondering how she didn't lose her mind in Omaha, she explores the country with her husband, several clairvoyant hamsters, and an ever-growing herd of rabid plot bunnies.

She also has substantially more ti
More about L.A. Witt...