Start by marking “A Fairy's Guide to Disaster (Away From Whipplethorn, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Fairy's Guide to Disaster (Away From Whipplethorn, #1)

A Fairy's Guide to Disaster (Away From Whipplethorn #1)

Tiny fairies. Huge adventure.

Matilda Whipplethorn is about to get what she’s always wanted, and it’s a bad thing. Being a babysitter isn’t much of a dream for the average thirteen-year-old, but Matilda is anything but average. She’s half a centimeter tall, invisible to the human eye, and hearing-impaired. Her mother won’t let her forget any of that. So for Matilda, adventu
Published January 21st 2012 (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Fairy's Guide to Disaster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fairy's Guide to Disaster

R.A. White
Aug 21, 2014 R.A. White rated it it was amazing
This book was fun and well written, and I stayed interested throughout. I've never read fairy books or watched fairy movies, and I admit I didn't have super high hopes of getting an intelligent story, but the world was well defined and imaginative. Instead of being a 'save the world' story, it's about a few fairies that are separated from their parents when the building they live in is demolished. There's plenty of banter, bad guys, and good guys, as well as a bit of intrigue. The only thing ...more
Frank
Apr 02, 2012 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This truly was a refreshing book. It looks like the world of fairies, at least in the book world, might just have a new author, A. W. Hartoin. Right from the first chapter the story and writing is very fresh and deep in character, fun characters. This is one of those rare books that is both suspenseful and yet yet fun to read from beginning to end. She has me hooked.

Wood fairies living in an ancient mantel are displaced when the old mansion is torn down and the mantel is bought by an antique dea
Marsha
Jan 25, 2014 Marsha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 10-14 year olds
"A Fairy's Guide to Disaster" is a cute story about a thirteen year old Matilda who is a wood fairy. She and her family live in the wooden mantle at the abandoned Whipplethorn Manor.

Matilda has just received approval from her mother for her first babysitting job. Unfortunately, she will be babysitting her precocious eight year old cousin, Gerald. While babysitting, two men come into the manor and take down the manor to be sold at an antique shop. Matilda, her sister, Iris and Gerald are moved to
Angela
Mar 15, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an imaginative story! Away from Whipplethorn, by A.W. Hartoin, is a charming tale filled with fairies, other tiny creatures and plenty of adventure filled mishaps that keep our young heroine, Matilda, much busier than she ever thought possible on her very first babysitting job. The book is a perfect romp for the young reader. By the end of this story, Matilda, her little sister Iris and their cousin Gerald realize the importance of being just who you are and appreciate the differences in ...more
Riley
Mar 13, 2012 Riley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book which I read in no time - couldn't put it down. It reminded me of The Borrowers which I read as a kid and reread to my granddaughter. This wonderful fantasy of tiny fairies in the mantel and whole races of wood fairies in the antique mall makes for great adventure. I especially love Soren Maple, the leader of the fairies who look like sticks. Oh, for drawings or pictures. Matilda is the heroine of the tale who starts her babysitting career with the horrible Gerald. Boy, does ...more
Katharina Gerlach
I loved this book from the first page and recommend it to all who love fairies. The idea of these fabulous creatures being barely 1/2inch high is absolutely great.

Also, the story is very well written, with many interesting twists and turns. The characters come alive right away. I like the spunky heroine who struggles with a disability that she doesn't even know she has.

My favorite character was Horc. ;-)
Dixie A.
Oct 08, 2014 Dixie A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A book about a bratty teen babysitting for the first time and everything that can go wrong. Except that usually giants don't move the house you're living in or steal the baby.

Includes the usual cliches, but mostly just to turn them on their heads. Clever and even touching in moments. (When the spriggan baby kept asking Matilda if she loved him... aw.) Ends just as you want to know more; perfect climax.
Lyndsay
Mar 30, 2012 Lyndsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a bookworm teenager, I know a good book when I read one. Away From Whipplethorn provided just the right amount of imagination, action, suspense and mystery to keep me reading. I couldn't tear myself away from this book until I had read the entire thing, and even then I only wanted to read it all over again.
Smwitges
Mar 22, 2012 Smwitges rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was an engaging and imaginative read. I believe this book will appeal to both female and male readers of all ages but believe young girls will find the heroine very empowering. I stayed up late 3 nights in a row because I couldn't bring myself to put the book down. It would also be a great book to read aloud to younger children or students.
Katrina
May 21, 2012 Katrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic read. These fairies drew me right into their world and now I wonder what story my furniture would tell. I can't wait to share this book with my children.
Carolyn
Apr 01, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it
What a fun book! The interactions between the characters were hilarious and true to life. I am looking forward to the next one!
Lenni Jones
Nov 27, 2016 Lenni Jones rated it really liked it
This book was really interesting. Matilda finally gets her first babysitting job, only to be kidnapped from her home along with her sister, Gerald, and the neighbor's baby. When they reach an antique store, they run into a whole boatload of problems. Luckily, Matilda makes a couple of friends that help her out. But these friends aren't enough. If Matilda wants to get home and get to her parents she'll have to do the impossible and befriend humans.
Poor Matilda, she's always solving her problems
Kara
Nov 24, 2016 Kara rated it it was amazing
Really fun read.
Debra
Nov 25, 2016 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This was a really fun book to read I couldn't put it down . I love fun adventure's with twists and turns.
Diana
Oct 04, 2016 Diana rated it really liked it
This was a fun book. It would be a great choice to read along with kids. I got it from google play and it had 180 pages but on here it says it has 200-something. Now I'm wondering how much I missed lol. It did seem like quite a lot of questions went unanswered. I'm not sure if I'll continue with the series but if I do that will be the reason.
Sonia
May 18, 2012 Sonia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review from my 12 year old daughter:

I read Away From Whipplethorn because the author asked my mum if I would like to do a book review. I thought the book was very creative and wonderful and I definitely think more people should read it.

The story is based on Matilda who is a wood fairy that had had snail pox when she was two. She therefore can't hear as well as other fairies.

Her mum and dad need to go somewhere and they need Matilda to babysit Gerald Whipplethorn, who lives in a different part of
Sue Mcglade
Aug 19, 2014 Sue Mcglade rated it really liked it
This was a fun, enjoyable romp through a fairy's disastrous first babysitting job. However, she surprises herself and the reader with how well she copes with everything thrown at her.

I liked the characters and how they related to each other. The babies were funny too. It is a bit of a young teen read, but it is sometimes quite relaxing to be transported to a land where fairies do exist! and just escape from real life for a while.

The first book in the series was free but the full kindle box s
Izzy
Jun 15, 2015 Izzy rated it it was amazing
Great book! I was a little scared at first when I read the 'about book' and found out its about fairies, I thought it was going to be another Tinkerbell rip off, but luckily I couldn't be more wrong! I love that the author takes stuff from her own mind and doesn't take it from other books/movies. I'm a sucker for anything with swords, adventure, and girls proving that women are just as capable as men are at defending ourselves! My only complaint would be that the author doesn't sell it in ...more
Elizabeth Jane
This is definitely more a "young adult" type novel but I ate it up nonetheless! Matilda the fairy is spunky, sassy, and endlessly responsible for a 13 year old. Her quirky demeanor and ability to produce fire help her throughout the book as she and her cohort fairies get into one scrape after another when their mantel home is torn down and sold. Very fast-paced and enjoyable! I'll be reading the rest of the series for sure!
Polly
Jul 08, 2016 Polly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great find!

Perfect read for a middle grade student, whether bit or girl, or even somebody older looking for something cute and entertaining. I was a little put off by the singular use of the words 'pissed' and 'Jackass' but seeing how so many books and shows have worked to desensitize our children these days, I'm not concerned with this book. I'll allow my children to read it (12 and up easy).
Larina
Aug 28, 2014 Larina rated it really liked it
As i opened this book i thought ok This is going to be kiddish.
As i sat there reading i got caught up in their battles. I laughed at Horc and i cried at Easy. I loved the brotherly love they showed! I loved how Matilda took charge and stood up to a bigger bully. As they were trying to get people to see them i kept saying come on they are right there how can you not see them!!!
I really enjoyed this and cant wait till i can read the next book
Rebecca
Dec 02, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This was cute. I enjoyed the world building and the various personalities and abilities of the different characters.

There were issues with editing, such as a few grammatical things and some inconsistencies, which made me want to rate it a little lower, but the story was enjoyable enough and the issues minor enough to keep it from affecting my rating. I just would have enjoyed it more if it had been cleaned up a little bit more.
LaDawn

This was a wonderful story! I read it as an ebook, so I don't know if it is in book form or not, but I'd love to see it with some beautiful illustrations. As I was reading, I kept thinking what a great read-aloud book this would be for the elementary ages, though I think even older kids should enjoy it.

Refreshing, fun, and new!
I loved it!
Leslie Sanchez
Jan 26, 2015 Leslie Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding fantasy.

A terrific tale of a young fairy's adventures in babysitting. The youngsters face possibly losing their home and being separated from their parents. They learn to work together to try to put the world as they know it back together. It is funny, scary and rewarding. I loved it!
Hope To Read
Sep 27, 2014 Hope To Read rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
The story itself was ok. The audio was not. Much of the time the story seemed choppy and did not flow easily thru each part. The fast hyper audio made the choppiness even more apparent. I would recommend reading the physical story only if a true fae fan. Those who aren't may find the story less than desirable. I suggest avoiding the audio version!
Donna
Jun 30, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it
This book gives the reader a glimpse of fairies and how they would live in our world (if they were real). I loved the interactions of the fairies with the animals and humans as well as with each other. This book was definitely worth the read and I would be interested in reading book 2 to see what happens next.

Jai
May 22, 2014 Jai rated it it was amazing
Oh my, you'll never look at antique malls the same way again! This lively story takes the young fairies from whiney children through unexpected disasters to warm, thoughtful young adults. Except for the babies, you'll love the babies. Highly recommended for the young at heart.
Would also be an excellent travel audio book - you'll never have had such a quiet car.
Cheryl
Aug 25, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining "fairy" tale

This reminds me of Harry Potter -- Mathilda's babysitting adventure quickly turns into a fascinating story of wood fairies and other creatures. The reader can watch her learn to cope with the world around her. I think this would appeal to all ages.
Iyanna
Dec 10, 2015 Iyanna rated it liked it
This was a very fun read.If you're up to reading something fun,something that a 10 to 14 yr old would read tjis is it.The story is fun and written very well.This is the book you give a child ,that doesn't read,after the child has read it,they would want more books it read
Beverly
Cute

It is for young kids, but it was well written and reminded me of some of the books I read, like the little people who lived in a house and used different things for their furniture.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Harbinger (The Bleeding Worlds, #1)
  • Eliza's Shadow
  • Adela's Curse (The Faeries of Myrnius #1)
  • The Cinderella Theorem (The Lily Sparrow Chronicles)
  • Night of the Fae (Ana Martin series, #1)
  • Prismatic (Harmony Run #1)
  • The Four Treasures of Eirean (The Tir Na Nog, #1)
  • The Zochtil (Almek Manning, #1)
  • Semper
  • Harrow - Book 1
  • The Universal Mirror
  • Hanging Flynn
  • Terminal Blend (Blend Trilogy #3)
  • Trefoil
  • Defying Mars (Saving Mars, #2)
  • Silver (The Silver, #1)
  • The Saints of the Cross
  • Toxic (Trap #1)
A.W.Hartoin is the author of Middle Grade and Young Adult fiction. Away From Whipplethorn is her first published work. A.W. can't remember a time when she didn't love reading. The first book she read over and over again was Harry and the Lady Next Door. He was such a bad dog. Anne of Green Gables was the first time she wanted to enter a world and stay there. As an adult she read almost everything ...more
More about A.W. Hartoin...

Away From Whipplethorn (4 books)
  • Fierce Creatures (Away From Whipplethorn, #2)
  • A Monster's Paradise (Away From Whipplethorn Book, #3)
  • A Wicked Chill (Away From Whipplethorn, #4)

“I dropped back onto Dad’s stool with my mouth open. Gerald Whipplethorn? I wanted to babysit, but Gerald wasn’t worth it. The kid annoyed me like an itchy scab you couldn’t pick off. He was the worst. The absolute worst. I” 0 likes
“But no one offered answers to questions I never thought to ask.” 0 likes