Start by marking “The Best of Technology Writing 2007” as Want to Read:
The Best of Technology Writing 2007

The Best of Technology Writing 2007

The year’s best writing on tech: a collection as imaginative and compelling as its dynamic subject

“This book is not just an illuminating and instructive guide to our high-tech frontier. It’s also a great testimony to the power of that most ancient of technologies, the written word.”

—Steven Johnson, author of Everything Bad is Good for You

Together the essays in The Best of
Paperback
Published August 20th 2007 by U OF M DIGT CULT BOOKS

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Technology Writing 2007, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Technology Writing 2007

Shinynickel
Sep 07, 2008 Shinynickel rated it really liked it
Like most collections of articles or essays, there are some pieces that leave me stunned, educated, or inspired, and others that leave me cold.

The introduction suffers from a severe case of blog-envy, and unnecessarily spends a big chunk of its wordcount trying to piss on blogging, nothing that without the backing of large organizations individual bloggers do not have the time or funding to produce heavily researched or investigative pieces. Which, you know, I agree with. Why it was necessary to
Derek
Jun 10, 2008 Derek rated it liked it
The title can be deceiving; this book is "technology" writing not "technological" writing. I think these days, with the pervasiveness of the internet and computers throughout the world, the definition of "technology" needs to be reined in a bit from how it is used here. The first essay is about someone with multiple PhDs who makes scientifically-based art installations. I've never been one for that kind of art, so maybe my opinion is jaded, but there is nothing remotely technological about this ...more
Michael
Jan 18, 2008 Michael rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lazy geeks
Recommended to Michael by: dailylit.com
I read this through dailylit.com.

I thought the collection was hit-or-miss. The essays profiling artists and CEOs of tech companies were pretty interesting, but I could have done without the really weird piece by an unsuccessful online dater (Philip Smith,
"The Worst Date Ever for an Apple Tech"), or the self-absorbed "A Non-Programmer's Apology," which seemed like a few pages of the author telling us how talented he is at writing while failing to demonstrate it.

I loved the humor of "Dragon Slaye
Shana
Jan 25, 2008 Shana rated it liked it
I do love essays, and I have a weakness for the thematic collections that come out every year because it's so hard to keep up with good essay writing when you don't want just a few magazines' sensibilities. Some collections, though, get less imaginative in scope with each year's group, and that can be a real disappointment. (Last year's collection of food writing essays was awful: It was only about, well, food!)

This technology collection doesn't disappoint, focusing on technology and its impact
Christine
Jun 30, 2009 Christine added it
Shelves: gave-up
I got a review copy of this at the used bookstore. It's a collection of essays from magazines and websites. I figured since my job entails technology writing, I might as well try to embrace my inner techie writer a little. I can't figure out if the technology covered in the book is more interesting than what we cover at work, or if these writers make it more interesting. Maybe I'll figure that out and get some inspiration by the time I get through them all.
Destinee Sutton
I didn't like all of the essays in this book (the one about the bad internet date was particularly ridiculous) but there was one essay (about the UrbanBaby message board revealing the desperation of motherhood) that really stuck with me.

The thing is, I thought the pieces in this book would be more tech-driven, but they were actually more about human relationships mediated by the internet.
Janagha Ilham
Janagha Ilham rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2015
Michael Parker
Michael Parker rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2009
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Christopher Reinwald
Christopher Reinwald rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2014
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2008
Scandella
Scandella rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2009
Utkarsh Rai
Utkarsh Rai rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2016
Gavin
Gavin rated it it was ok
Jul 22, 2014
Andrei Vladescu-olt
Andrei Vladescu-olt rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2008
Hieronymus Franck
Hieronymus Franck rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Lillian
Lillian rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2007
David
David rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2008
Steven Ng
Steven Ng rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2008
Kevin Ridgway
Kevin Ridgway rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Patrik
Patrik rated it really liked it
May 18, 2008
Mel
Mel rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Blake Ramsdell
Blake Ramsdell rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2007
Kbuxton
Kbuxton rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2011
Brandi
Brandi rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2009
Egemir
Egemir rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2015
Britta
Britta rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Steven Levy (born 1951) is an American journalist who has written several books on computers, technology, cryptography, the Internet, cybersecurity, and privacy. Levy is chief technology writer and a senior editor for Newsweek, writing mainly in the "Science & Technology" section. He also writes the column "Random Access" in the monthly feature "Focus On Technology." Levy is also a contributor ...more
More about Steven Levy...