Start by marking “Sinner's Gin (Sinners, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sinner's Gin (Sinners, #1)
Read Excerpt

Sinner's Gin (Sinners #1)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  2,210 ratings  ·  381 reviews
There’s a dead man in Miki St. John’s vintage Pontiac GTO, and he has no idea how it got there.

Published December 24th 2012 by Dreamspinner press

To ask other readers questions about Sinner's Gin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinner's Gin

Nancy

Reviewed for Hearts on Fire Reviews

Miki St. John has had a really hard life. He was abandoned as a child, shuttled between foster homes, and eventually adopted by a man who sexually abused him. He joins a successful rock band, achieves fame, and then barely survives a car accident that killed his entire band shortly after they won a Grammy Award. As if that isn’t enough, the corpse of the man who abused him happens to be in Miki’s car.

All Miki has right now is the warehouse he calls home, his
Ingela
Written December 6, 2014

3.7 Stars - Thrilling crime romance with a lot of heat

Book #1

Sinners is my second audiobook series by Rhys Ford. I'd big hopes for it to be a good story, with interesting characters to follow. ~ See Bevs 4 star review, it inspired me to add this book to start with.

And? - I liked most of it...
Well done, interesting characters, good crime plot.
Want to jump over to the next part.
 photo 2119174b-16c3-4dc0-bec9-7af7816ffbe1_zpsc6005c18.gif  photo 2119174b-16c3-4dc0-bec9-7af7816ffbe1_zpsc6005c18.gif  photo 2119174b-16c3-4dc0-bec9-7af7816ffbe1_zpsc6005c18.gif  photo 2119174b-16c3-4dc0-bec9-7af7816ffbe1_zpsc6005c18.gif

***********************************************************

San Francisco...

Miki St. John, t
deirdre
OMG!!!! this was soooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!! my first thought upon finishing it was, 'when is the sequel coming out??'

heart breakingly beautiful . . .

what i liked . . .
*everything!
*great pacing, great character building
*loved the MCs . . . loved the slow building of a relationship. i could really feel them falling for each other **swoon**
*kane and miki . . . wow!!! just wow!!
*kane is an irish catholic cop from a large brood . . . immigrant parents. rhys ford did this REALLY well. . . . i
MishyJo
I guess if I had read the blurb more closely I would have realized that this book was more of a murder mystery/crime solving story than one about a rocker. Yes, Miki is a rock star, but that is somewhat incidental to the storyline.

Miki grew up in foster care and lived through unimaginable horrors. When he meets Damien and joins Sinner’s Gin as their lead singer, he finally finds the family he never had. Until that family is lost in a tragic car accident and Miki is alone. Again.

Miki has begun re
Susan

Solid 3.5 stars...

I really didn’t expect to enjoy this as much as I did. I typically don’t like “musician” books and though I do enjoy Rhys Ford’s style, I have to be in the mood for her mystery storylines. They get quiet convoluted at times. (for some reason, I like those kinds of books in the Winter time…:) ! Summer is all about sexy and sweet…) BUT, I actually really liked Sinner’s Gin.

Miki, the lead singer of the band Sinner’s Gin and sadly, one broken, broken man (emotionally and physically
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Only $1 right now at Dreamspinner and Amazon, and get the audio for only $1.99 more!! 7/25/15!
Tara♥

I don't know. I shouldn't have liked this, and parts of it I really didn't, but I got sucked in and I think I'm going to have to read the entire series.

So here is the dealio, I will not rant about this and I will try to only mention it the once. The 'Irishisms' in this were just awful. Think season 3 of Sons of Anarchy awful!!

Now I tend to avoid books with Irish characters or set in Ireland that aren't written by people who live or have lived here because this is a pet hate of mine but I had no
Simsala
Why was the step a big mistake? What was the `boom` at the end of the chapter 20 - a gun, a bomb, what happened? If there was no bullet wound what was the stuff trickling down Miki`s arm...gun oil? The villain was crazy but why the episode with the arson on Sanchez house? Made no sense! Do I have to pull all the strings together with my imagination? Isn`t the cliffhanger a bit far fetched? Was there ever such a happy family including über-mother like the Morgans? Oh, and of course love heals eve ...more
Td
DNF 57% - The style of writing in this book was what did me in. I have ranted and rambled, bitched and moaned, begged and pleaded enough about it before for other books that I will try to do my best to not go overboard this time.

One of my major peeves is when a character's name is replaced by other terms excessively. Not a few times here and there...I understand that, I do! But there is trouble when they take over and the desire to do a search for these words becomes overwhelming. The singer thi
Marte
*** 3,5 audio stars ***

Interesting characters and plot including some heavy subjects, but it's not graphic, it's just hinted at. I did feel Kane and Miki got together a bit quickly and the (view spoiler) were too. Their connection was missing "something." I loved Kane's big Irish family, especially his father Donal. The story was wrapped up at the end of the book, with a pretty big "read the next book!" last chapter that set the stage for the next book!
In short. I l
Heather C

I actually read this several months ago and am just now getting around to writing a review for it. You know how sometimes you love a book so much, but just can't figure out the right words to say? Well, this is one of those occasions, and I figured it was finally time for me to do my duty as a reader/reviewer and get off my butt to share with you why I loved it.

I fell in love with Rhys's writing back when I read Dirty Kiss, the first book of the Cole McGinnis Series. So when I started Sinner's,
Rhys Ford
Dec 02, 2012 Rhys Ford added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: author, wrote
First off, I want to thank everyone who expressed an interest in this book. It is much appreciated. Really, you all have taken me so so far on this ride. So much thanks.

Sinner's Gin is a departure from the Dirty series. It's written in third person POV and deals with psychological issues rather than cultural. I did however have a fantastic time writing this although at times, I could have cheerfully choked the characters because I couldn't maneuver them into the story like I'd wanted. But eventu
Xing
Rating: 3.25 stars

This is my first Rhys Ford book, and certainly not my last. Sinner's Gin is a story centering around the tragic accident of the band Sinner's Gin. In a car crash, the only surviving member Miki will eventually meet with SFPD investigator Kane Morgan. There is an investigative mystery involved which connects these two men in ways they could never have predicted.

So let's start with things I liked about this book. I liked Rhys Ford's writing style (though I did slightly cringe wit
Trisha Harrington
Sinners Gin is an amazing book. It had a lot of things I love in my m/m books and they were all done really well, in my personal opinion. Plus, there was a dog in this. So that was even more awesome!

Miki was a character I just wanted to hug. He lost basically everyone he cared about, the hardest loss being his best friend, Damien. Add being abused as a child, and you have a guy who really hasn't had a very good life. And now he's basically isolated himself from the world and he's alone. Until he
Sofia

Found this fun to read, lots of drama but with engaging characters and the plot kept my attention.

I am willing to overlook some flaws which dictate my rating and intend to continue on with the next book in the series.
Dreamer
A beautifully written m/m mystery romance set in San Francisco. Miki is a rock star that has had a rough life: abandonment, childhood abuse and then injury and the death of his band members in a car accident. He meets hunky cop Kane, part of a large Irish family and they are irresistibly drawn together. Throw in some hot sex, a cute thieving dog, an indomitable Irish mother and a surprise twist at the end and there you have it!

'It wasn't fair, Kane decided. In that sweet moment when he first tas
R * A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

Orphan Micki St John has been beat down by life a lot. He's barely surviving through his grief and to make matters worse, his horrific past catches up with him as his former abuser is found dead on his property.

Kane Morgan is the cop assigned to the case and is immediately intrigued by this haunted, yet not broken man, and can't seem to keep away. As he gets more attached, the danger to Miki escalates as the body count rises.

What's not to like about an alpha cop falling hard with a tra
KatieMc
Having read the Cole McGinnis series (what there is so far) I recognize some of Rhys Ford formulas at work. In a good way. This was a like read, not a love read. Kane and the Morgan clan overall carried this for me. Clever writer, Rhys Ford is, she now has a deep bench of characters to draw upon for future stories. Miki St. John on the other had, really didn't do much for me.
Kaje Harper
This book had two great characters in Miki, the traumatized singer who was sparky and snarly and defensive, and Kane, the big, competent cop who is his neighbor and who falls for him. There were also brief moments of suddenly wonderful writing, where a metaphor or description just clicked. I liked Miki's sense of humor, and I loved Kane's family. And I adored the dog.

The plot was exciting, verging on the melodramatic at times. There were also some aspects of the writing style that I found a bit
Jenni Lea
I really enjoyed this book! I loved the humor and the emotions throughout. I am in love with Kane’s family and wish they were my own. The story was fast paced even with the romance being a slow burn. I was sucked in from the beginning and I couldn’t put it down until I was done.
ttg
Jun 20, 2013 ttg added it
Shelves: m-m, dnf, reviews
DNF at 41% - This was kind of hard decision to put down this book, since the mystery was pulling me a little, and some reviews mention a twisty ending, but I was getting so frustrated.

I really enjoy the author’s Cole McGinnis Mysteries series, so I don’t totally understand why this one feels so much clumsier. There’s the narrative difference--Cole McGinnis is in first person, and this is in third, and alternating POVs between the MCs. That’s fine--I don’t care either way. But this one had a lot
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

After Miki survives the tragic accident that killed his best friend and the other members of their band, Sinner’s Gin, all he wants is to hide from the world in the refurbished warehouse he bought before their last tour. But when the man who sexually abused him as a boy is killed and his remains are dumped in Miki’s car, Miki fears Death isn’t done with him yet.

Kane Morgan, the SFPD inspector
Bev
Good start to new series for me featuring Miki St.John, a former rock star with a dreadfully sad and distressing past, and Kane Morgan, a hot Irish-American detective with a heart of gold and a huge loving...but nosy family. Absolutely loved Dude, the dog with no conscience. Let's see where this series goes. 4 stars.
Susan
I love the Cole McGinnis series of Rhys Ford. So I was pretty surprised to find out that this book didn’t really work for me.

I never connected with either Miki or Kane. The dialogue felt off somehow, and there were several instances where I felt as if people acted out of character.

Miki has had one of the hardest lives I have read about. Left on the streets by his mom when he was just a 2 year old, with drugs found in his body. Abused not only by his foster father, but a friend of his foster fath
BWT (Belen)

I'm not going to play, Tristan James is a favorite narrator of mine, hands down. He could read the phone book and I might find it engrossing. Luckily, this kick ass story is a helluva lot better than the phone book!

I loved the close Irish family (my parents are very similar to Donal and Brigid so the interactions made me chuckle), the cop partner dynamic between Kel and Kane, and, mostly, the way Kane understood that Miki is, well, damaged, irreparably in some ways, but still able to create a co
SueM

Very good to excellent M/M romantic suspense novel, that kept me glued until the end.

Miki, the sole survivor of a horrendous car crash that killed the 3 other members of his band, Sinner's Gin, meets Kane Morgan after Miki's dog (well, the dog seems to have adopted Miki) runs away with Kane's property. Kane, an Detective Inspector, is trying to retrieve yet another piece of doggie theft when he discovers a dead body in Miki's garage.

Investigating the crime lead Kane to uncover far mor
Debra
A good read with an enjoyable plot and two good MC's. Miki, the emotionally and physically damaged rock star, with a past that is coming back to haunt him, and Kane the sweet Irish cop have a lot of chemistry and kept me reading. The book is told from alternating points of view and has a nice build to the relationship, while not sacrificing the plot of the mystery.

After meeting by chance when Miki's dog starts pilfering items from Kane's workshop, the two are then pushed closer when Kane finds t
Ann
WOW YOU GUYS!!! After listening to a really less than awesome (actually it sucked) audiobook not long ago I needed something to clear that experience out of my ears. DAMN if this didn't deliver!

The story of Miki and Kane is a great mystery and love story. Plus I do love stories with cops or musicians, so give me both and I am one happy unicorn. Now mix in a narrator Tristan James, with the sexiest voice in pretty much the history of planet earth and I WIN! I'd listen to this dude read binary co
S.E. Jakes
LOVED! So much angst, perfectly done. I wish Rhys Ford would take pity on me and let me sneak a peek at book 2...*hint hint* Really, I can read rough drafts, no problem. And I'll keep all the secrets...:)

UPDATED: I am currently in possession of several chapters of Rhys's book 2. WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
Riina Y.T.
I promised to take you, take you to the stars.
Way past Pluto, once we clear Mars.

We’ll dance in the black, and I will right all my wrongs,
And before our fall from Heaven, we’ll sing our old songs.

So long that we’ve danced, we’ll forget how they go,
Mumble a few words, then bask in our glow.

I’ll teach you to fly, And you’ll teach me to win.
Made me survive, and taught me to sin.

—Letters D and S

****

I can't explain how much I love this "quote" - just, *hurt*...

This was a wonderful book! A
Dreamspinner Press: Sinner's Gin by Rhys Ford 3 82 Dec 24, 2012 08:01PM
  • Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)
  • A Reason To Believe
  • Safeword (Power Exchange, #2)
  • Hell & High Water (THIRDS, #1)
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5)
  • Illumination
  • But For You (A Matter of Time #6)
  • Point of No Return (Turning Point, #1)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • The Island
  • How to Save a Life (The Haven, #1)
  • Half Moon Chambers
  • Cards On The Table
  • The Luckiest (Lucky Moon, #2)
  • Every Move He Makes
Rhys Ford was born and raised in Hawai’i then wandered off to see the world. After chewing through a pile of books, a lot of odd food, and a stray boyfriend or two, Rhys eventually landed in San Diego, which is a very nice place but seriously needs more rain.

Rhys admits to sharing the house with three cats of varying degrees of black fur and a ginger cairn terrorist. Rhys is also enslaved to the u
More about Rhys Ford...

Sinners (5 books)
  • Whiskey and Wry (Sinners, #2)
  • Tequila Mockingbird (Sinners #3)
  • Rotgut Gin (Sinners, #3.5)
  • Sloe Ride (Sinners, #4)
Dirty Kiss (Cole McGinnis, #1) Whiskey and Wry (Sinners, #2) Dirty Secret (Cole McGinnis, #2) Tequila Mockingbird (Sinners #3) Fish and Ghosts (Hellsinger, #1)

“I taught my sons to be men. I don't care who they love. I care about how they act. The moment they stop having manners or treat someone poorly, then we'll have words. Other than that, I only want them to be happy, and if you make Kane happy, then all I have to say to ye is welcome to the family.” 14 likes
“People like my mom and Miki are like kites. They need the sky. They need the wind. Me and my dad? We’re the people holding the string. We’re their anchors to the earth. Miki and I can feel each other through the connection.” 4 likes