Start by marking “A Day in the Life of a Minimalist” as Want to Read:
A Day in the Life of a Minimalist
Preview

A Day in the Life of a Minimalist

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  35 reviews
At age 30, Joshua Fields Millburn left his six-figure career, ditched most of his material possessions, and started focusing on life’s most important aspects. Once he embraced his newfound minimalist lifestyle, he never looked back. Suffice it to say, everything has changed in Millburn’s life in the last three years. After his mother died in October 2009 and his marriage e ...more
Published November 7th 2012 by Asymmetrical Press

To ask other readers questions about A Day in the Life of a Minimalist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Day in the Life of a Minimalist

Brandon
I've always been a big fan of minimalism as a philosophy/lifestyle. I've followed The Minimalists for a couple of years now and when this book was made available for free, I decided to get it and read it.

A Day in the Life of a Minimalist is an easy read. It's split up into parts that focus on a certain topic and each "chapter" is usually a very short, quick read. It's a collection of posts, some from the website, some never before published. I would not recommend actually buying this book as muc
Nancy
This book is a compilation of essays or posts on how to simplify your life by divesting yourself of unimportant, unnecessary clutter -- such as possessions, debt, relationships, in order to grow and become a more focused, happier individual.

There are some great suggestions regarding writing, and since I am a blogger, I appreciated the author's insight. The author's ideas about purchasing useless stuff in order to fill a void is something I've learned and agree with. Incurring and having alot of
Emma Moon
While I embrace minimalism and there is merit in some of his ideas, Millburn has compiled a book that seems trivial and his life inexperience shows.

Millburn sounds full of himself in this book and constantly reminds the reader about his achievements. His suggestions are arrogantly delivered yet are impractical for those with families who have responsibilities and must keep to schedules.

The largest fault I have with this book is that his suggestions are extremely selfish and self-serving. Minima
Jesse
This book was well thought out, very well written, and easy to read.

JFM breaks down the book into ten chapters, each of which are essentially a collection of blog posts, or essays, surrounding each topic. I found this format made the book very easy to read and gave it a nice flow. I was able to glide seamlessly between essays as well as between chapters.

Some of the gems:

"Eventually the frustration turns into reward; the pain becomes pleasure."

"Once I jettisoned the superfluous stuff in my life,
Ed
Awesome bite-sized advice on minimalism and what works for them

What I love about Joshua's style is he doesn't really tell you what to do. This isn't a self help book. It is what works for him, and why. Take it or leave it, but is you leave it, you need a really good alternative or a good reason as to why it doesn't apply to you, and then you need to double and triple check you aren't just rationalizing.

Highly recommended.
Andrew Lee
Couldn't finish as it was too repetitive. Very self important and painfully earnest.

You also have to question taking advice from people who spent a large part of their life believing that money was the route to happiness - have they not experienced a human childhood on the planet Earth? The "money isn't everything" motif is one of the most common themes in every form of storytelling through out history. To discover this in their late 20's is amazing.
Renae
Thought-provoking

This book isn't so much a "how-to" guide to become a minimalist, but more a look at his journey to minimalism. It mentions fellow minimalists of which I've read their books/journey. This collection of essays (blogs) is among the best and gives a fresh perspective to an often misunderstood lifestyle. I can't wait to read more of his writing.
Amy Walters
Although I've been following the minimalists blog for a fair few months now I really enjoyed this collection of essays.

He comes across as humble, self assured and comfortable in himself. I enjoy the way he writes on minimalism and I've spent the last 7 months minimising my own families stuff and I find supportive material to read like this very helpful.
Elaine Lee
Promising but premature. I think this memoir could've benefited from more time living minimally and writing. It reads like a conversation with a friend who just came back from a vacation and was telling you all about it. I like the ideas; I think presentation suffered.
Kjirstin
A collection of essays (blog posts, for the most) about a minimalist lifestyle. The author has some interesting insights -- I liked the idea of living without goals -- and some of the stuff is things you've heard before, but it's all thought-provoking and good for stimulating discussion and perhaps some lifestyle changes.

Personally, I'm not so sure I'm into "radical minimalism" but I'm definitely partway down that path. Call me a mesimalist, perhaps.

I'm curious how he's going to feel about some
Jonathan
If one takes this for what it is - a collection of Millburn's popular essays - then we can accept the repetition found as a result of multiple years of writing. Different stories and/or thoughts sometimes require a detail found in other stories to make the blog post (or essay as Millburn calls it) a complete work. That said, it might have been more beneficial to provide a title more suiting to what the book indeed is; a collection of essays. They are well written (with the exception of a few unn ...more
Karen
This took me quite a long time to get through because I had to take it in very small doses, as reading it in bigger chunks just reminded me how very repetitious it was. The author acknowledges this in the beginning of the book and offers some explanation about how that will help get his message across. I think it's more a matter of he didn't want to have to do too much editing of these essays, most of which I got the idea had been previously published on his website. I really need to find a bett ...more
Emily
Definitely thought provoking and inspiring, in some ways. Always thought provoking. I won't be tossing all my books anytime soon, but I will be come more intentional about what I keep.
Chiara
hammered my mind into loathing crap. highly recommended. first and only minimalist book i read and need.
Michele
I'm wanting to simplify my life and this book, albeit short, was just the shot in the arm I needed.
Katrina Holman
This is a series of blog-style essays about minimalism.

I really appreciated the fact that the author spends a lot of time focusing on the mindset of minimalism rather than the steps toward minimalism. There are some basic steps mentioned in the book, but the author is sensitive to the fact that minimalists share common attitudes rather than lifestyles.

After reading this once, I feel a lot more comfortable with minimalism and myself; conveniently, this is one of those books that can be read mult
Pequete
Although I knew some of the content of this book through the author's blog The Minimalists, the majority of it is new material. It makes you think and reassess your life choices and encourages you to change what you think should be changed, by focusing on daily action instead of trying to move the whole mountain at once. The book is written in a simple and concise style and although dealing with a "serious" subject, it also has a great deal of humor. Above all, you can see it is an honest accoun ...more
Juusi
A bit repetive but an inspiring read on hard-core minimalism.
Renee Axtell
This is a collection of blog posts from theminimalists.com coauthor Joshua Millburn. I was not previously aware of the blog, so I enjoyed reading it. (If I had already been a follower of the blog, I would have been disappointed.) I have been a reader of voluntary simplicity literature since I was in college in the early 90s, so nothing said in the book was really new to me, but it's nice to have the encouragement that a book like this can give you, that you're not alone. The book is well written ...more
Guy
you just HAVE to read this book. nice going Joshua
Rian
This is a light read but I wouldn't recommend reading it straight. I lost count of the number of times "corporate job" was mentioned. Towards the end, I just rolled my eyes every time I encountered it.

I guess with minimalism once you get the idea, it's just the same thing throughout. I have read Minimalism: Essential Essays and have enjoyed it. It made me think. It started my journey towards simplifying my life. But with this one...well, I liked the parts which were different, with no mention o
Crystal
I am assuming this is basically an abridged version of one of his books. If so, I enjoyed the swiftness of it. The short chapters (essays) made it a quick and easy read. It touched on and introduced me to minimalism and while I do want to delve more deeply, I don't really have to to be able to apply it right away in my own life. I can think of a ton of people who would benefit greatly from reading this book.
Jake McCrary
As a collection of essays that have (almost all of them) been published on the website http://www.theminimalists.com/. These selected essays are a good way to gain insight into how Millburn thinks and his approach to achieving happiness.

Book touches author's views on minimalism, living a meaningful life, and much more. There are parts of this book that may encourage you to take a step back and reflect.
Evan Decker
Even though it can be repetitive at times (which the author warns about from the start), this book is inspirational and life-changing. It offers a very different perspective on life and causes the reader to re-evaluate their life, the decisions they make, and what they value.
Sherri
Great philosophy - many of the ideas are ones I already believe. Unfortunately, minimalism is not easy to put into practice with kiddos. I will begin to implement some of the ideas in this book, but it will be a long time until I get to minimalist nirvana.
Rob
Refreshing. Although I don't agree with Millburn 100%, I think his perspective on life is rare and valuable. Although he does not seem to be a Christian, I think that many of his values are compatible with and desirable for those following Jesus.
Michelle
An excellent "primer" on minimalism and the transition to a minimalist mindset. I particularly liked the grouping of the essays as a way to highlight foci/themes in his overall work.
Marek
As minimalistic as it gets. Collection of blog posts on minimalism. As much as I like the content /ideas behind the "book" its form makes it difficult to get engaged.
Nancy Beach
It was a quick, easy read. Left me motivated to cut the time wasters out of my life and get busy doing what I want to do with my life.
Priti
A great collection of the essays on the blog, and a good platform to dive off of in exploration of the philosophy of minimalism.
  • Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify
  • The Little Book of Contentment: A Guide to Becoming Happy with Life and Who You Are, While Getting Things Done
  • Creating Your Personal Life Plan: A Step-by-Step Guide for Designing the Life You've Always Wanted
  • Disobey
  • God Is Not a Christian: And Other Provocations
  • Simplify: 7 Guiding Principles to Help Anyone Declutter Their Home and Life
  • The Minimalist Woman's Guide to Having It All
  • You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too
  • Ros
  • Soul DNA: Your Spiritual Genetic Code Defines Your Purpose
  • My Year Without Matches: Escaping the City in Search of the Wild
  • Minimalist Living: Decluttering for Joy, Health, and Creativity
  • Born to Win: Keeping Your Firstborn Edge Without Losing Your Balance
Joshua Fields Millburn left his corporate career at age 30 to become a full-time author. His essays at TheMinimalists.com have garnered an audience of more than 2 million readers.

Millburn is the bestselling author of three fiction and four nonfiction books and has been featured on CBS This Morning, ABC, NBC, FOX, NPR, CBC Radio, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, New York Times, Forbes, Elle Canada,
More about Joshua Fields Millburn...
Everything That Remains: A Memoir by the Minimalists Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life Minimalism: Essential Essays Simplicity: Essays Falling While Sitting Down (Short Stories)