Start by marking “After Mrs Hamilton” as Want to Read:
After Mrs Hamilton

After Mrs Hamilton

Golden Crown Literary Society Award winner - After Mrs. Hamilton - a twisting tale of sex, secrets, and obsession.

Clo is leading a loveless life as a high class escort for women. She's always had a dream of the ideal partner, but after a bad experience with love when she was young, figures she is better off on her own. Right now, she's supposed to be meeting her best frien
Published November 21st 2012 by Clare Ashton with Kindle

To ask other readers questions about After Mrs Hamilton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Mrs Hamilton

Nikki
This is what I have been looking for in lesfic since I started reading lesfic. This is what I have been wanting to read every time I have been disappointed by so many lackluster romances that flood the market. I felt the same way when I read Fingersmith by Sarah Waters; an almost immediate, desperate need to devour more stories with complicated characters that made me ache with sadness while making me indescribably happy.

If I could I would give it 4.5 stars, so it gets rounded to 5. Any issues I
T
This book was captivating from the start, and ended like a fireworks finale. It's definitely one of the most skillfully written books i've read this year. You learn about one character at a time, and when that character is revisited, you acquire more pieces to the puzzle of their lives and family. For a good part of the book, i found myself having to go back and re-read what i knew of each character up to that point, and i admit i had a difficult time keeping track of whose mother did what, and ...more
Jem
Note: This book is best enjoyed without spoilers. I did not mention any but my review might hint at them. So, read at your own risk :-)

What a small world...no, more like, what a teeny tiny world. You go out into the world, play the field, etc etc. and after a decade or two of fruitless search, frustration and heartbreak, you finally find the love of your life up in ....(beep...sorry no spoilers)

That is the premise of this book. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I love almost everything about t
Loek Krancher
May 02, 2016 Loek Krancher rated it it was amazing
A heart-warming intense and complicated story.

This is a heart-warming romance but not an ordinary sweet romance. Even far from it. It grabs hold of my heart and I couldn't let it go. I went through a whirlwind of emotions. There is a lot of pain, betrayal, lost and love. A complicated story of intertwined families, friendships, consequences and revelations of dark secrets. There happened a lot to mull over. The plot was very surprising. The only thing I found a little disappointing was that the
Just a man's point of view
Achingly beautiful.
I was nailed, riveted in reading. I felt as I need to embrace the characters to protect them from all that suffering. Expecially Clo. Not only her, but expecially her, so sweet, so frail and yet so disperately wanting to live again.
(view spoiler)
But I liked the conclusion. I loved that Clo has been the key to their understanding. Actually even my understanding. I didn't understand Susan's rea
Penny
Jan 07, 2014 Penny rated it it was amazing
Wow. Elegant? Witty? Heavy? Clever? Fierce? There's not enough adjectives to describe this book. Especially bittersweet? I could say that the bitter part goes for the Laura/Susan plot and the sweet to Clo/Fran's, but it would be such a reductionist description. Besides, there's already a whole lot of great reviews on this page.
Parabéns, Clare Ashton!
Corrie
A re-read of Clare Ashton's "After Mrs. Hamilton" has Book Club Buddy Dani suitably blown away. For me, re-reading it has only reaffirmed my love for this book and the author.
Endlesscribbles
Dec 29, 2015 Endlesscribbles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ff-romance
WOW! What a roller coaster ride of emotions and secrets.
Cheri
Feb 19, 2013 Cheri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, lgbtq
Just fantastic. Truly wonderful. Very well written and the twists and reveals were so well done.

I highly recommend this book.
Megzz
Dec 24, 2014 Megzz rated it it was ok
Agirlcandream
Feb 22, 2013 Agirlcandream rated it it was amazing
A pleasure to read. It was nice to have older characters those of us "of a certain age" could relate to and not just the usual beautiful thirty year old heroines. Fran the movie star worrying about her sagging skin made her very real to the reader. Fascinating twists and reveals added depth to the usual girl meets girl, falls for girl, misunderstanding happens followed by great makeup sex formula we too often see in lesfic and romance in general.
Looking forward to reading anything Ashton writes
Maria
Mar 01, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, lgbtq
I am honestly at a loss for words. However, there’s so much to say about After Mrs Hamilton… I just don’t know where to start. I am in love with this book. I could honestly start re-reading it right now. Actually, I feel like I must. I was so eager to reach to end, to connect the dots, to understand what was going… I feel like I might have rushed the reading. I now need to slow down and give Clare Ashton’s words their time because they bloody deserve it.

Speaking of Clare’s words, her writing is
Alena
Aug 04, 2014 Alena rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, fiction
Oh my. What a treat! Not quite unexpected, since everyone is raving, but still. I've put reading this off again and again because often, when a lot of people rave about a book, I'm especially disappointed when it is a) badly written or b) I just can't connect to it for whatever reason.

No worries here. Really well written and not stepping into numerous pitfalls your regular lesfic would have stepped into. That in itself makes me so, so very happy.

I was glad I didn't really know anything about the
poppp
Dec 13, 2015 poppp rated it liked it
I can't give this a higher rating. After the last page, this book left me somewhat annoyed. I know books will always be open ended in a way. But this one was just open. You'd appreciate that in some stories, but not this one. What's the point of spinning all those webs for like 90% of the book and then just giving a half-baked resolution? I don't know. The secrets were intriguing, yes. But the overall explanations and resolution should have been better. I don't know. Maybe I'm just annoyed that ...more
Kathryn
Wow...disfunction abounds and very disturbing at times. Not sure I would read this again.
Carly
Feb 23, 2017 Carly rated it it was ok
I so wanted to like this book because of all the wonderful reviews I read, but this really wasn't for me. The only time I felt the chemistry between characters was the first meeting between Mrs Hamilton and Clo and between Susan and Laura after the party at Helens, other than that I found myself bored with the story and when everything was revealed I didn't really care, I just wanted it to end. I am a fan of Ms Ashtons work but unfortunately this wasn't the book for me.
Regan
"But that, you see, is the dangerous part. All that emotional bonding, all that physical and emotional understanding is too much."

Wise words.

After Mrs. Hamilton was a captivating and suspenseful read. This novel had my favorite formula of the author revealing pieces of the story bit by bit and then the actual reveal is completely different than what the reader had previously guessed. All of the characters were well written and dynamic and I found myself following each storyline attentively.

angie
Feb 02, 2013 angie rated it really liked it
I honestly don't know what to make of this book...at least in some ways I don't. It's wonderfully written with a beautiful love story at the forefront, but the angst and melodrama almost threaten to pull the quality of this book down. Thank goodness Clare Ashton is such a skilled writer and wrestles with taboo issues with such thoughtful delicacy, somehow managing to make the novel anything but a juicy soap opera. The dynamics between characters Clo (an unhappy escort on the cusp of changing her ...more
Hesch Aut
Oct 07, 2014 Hesch Aut rated it it was amazing
What a ride!
Intense - atmospheric - very sensual!

"After Mrs Hamilton" was a surprise. Mysterious from the very beginning to the very end, with a variety of well plotted twists and unexpected revelations. A handfull of young and older women, two important love stories, and the past slowly but surely rocking today's world of the main characters.

I had to get used to the name "Clo", though. I'm a German native speaker and "Clo" is German for "toilet". But that problem was dissolved once I got into t
Lance
I did not finish this book...In fact I did not get very far at all because I have only two absolute no-nos when reading romance or erotica...no rape and if any character is married...no cheating. Mrs.Hamilton is still married to her husband at the start of this book. Since she cheats on him, rule #2 was invvoked and I went no further. Disappointed because the story had promise.

Stephanie
Apr 24, 2013 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Shelves: wont-finish, f-f
Jesus, I read 60% of this book waiting for it to get better, but sadly it didn't. It was rather boring, and hard to follow. I'm guessing that all of the characters were some how connected, but the story was not good enough to keep me interested.

Sorry...
Cheyenne
Feb 18, 2013 Cheyenne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would like to give 4 1/2 stars!
Terry Baker
Dec 02, 2012 Terry Baker rated it it was amazing
Clo’s life isn’t particularly happy. She’s an escort for older women. She also works at a patisserie part time to prevent her clandestine prostitution work being discovered. Clo hasn’t had a relationship with a woman in over ten years. She doesn’t feel she deserves one either. Not after the way her last relationship ended. What secret from the past is Clo hiding?

Where does Mrs Hamilton come in? No spoilers here, but life will never be the same for one of the characters after Mrs Hamilton.

M
Dec 23, 2012 M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: l-books
Wow... Wow...

Having started this book about 36 hours ago, it has consumed me for this entire period. Read this until 2.30 in the morning, then hurried home from work to finish it just now.

What a fantastic read. Well worth it's recent Goldie nomination.

Loved the characters, particularly Fran and Clo.

Loved the way it left you guessing/fearing the entire time (right up to the last page).

Loved the fact that it was likely that all the characters were in some way mixed in this big secret from the pa
Pippa
Aug 21, 2016 Pippa rated it it was ok
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
This was billed as a sexy romance with possible kink. Nope. Not even vaguely. I’d go as far as saying that the marketing blurb misrepresented the book.

And it was dull, falling into tedious for a lot of it.

It started ok, but then just went south. I kept thinking that the character of Mrs Hamilton would come back, but no. There were a bunch of characters who wandered into the narrative, and then wandered out, for no apparent reason. It felt like a poor ensemble piece for much of it.

There were two
Jesper
Jan 07, 2016 Jesper rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f, romance
It was nice. And surprising. And intriguing. And mysterious. And boring. And exciting. And drawn-out. And intense. It was lots of things.

The begining feels quite drawn out. You've got quite a few different point of views, and you're switching between them all the time, which makes the story move very slowly forward, because you're basically reading 2 or 3, maybe even 4 different story perspectives that aren't really entwined yet.

But half way through the book it starts to get really interesting.
Cab
Dec 02, 2012 Cab rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, e-books, drama
This is the second book that I have read written by Clare Ashton and I was not disappointed.

This story which is really two possible three stories that are interrelated, are an amazing example of how people’s lives intersect and the far reaching ripple effect actions and decisions can have. The main characters are Clo, Laura and Susan. I found Laura and Susan’s stories interesting primarily in how it related to Clo. Ultimately, for me the most interesting storyline was Clo’s it was both compelli
Tara
I think this one will stick with me for a long time. I started to figure out early on that all of the characters were somehow tied, but I truly didn't anticipate what the big reveals would be.
M.
Jan 19, 2015 M. rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and although it brought a lot of taboo issues, I thought it had many strong and complex women that could handle it!
Not easy subjects, but dealt with beatifully.
Anne
Thank you, Helle, for my gift! <3 #secretsanta
Mostly Lesfic: After Mrs. Hamilton by Clare Ashton 107 108 Jun 03, 2014 08:06PM
Lesbian Book Club: After Mrs Hamilton, by Clare Ashton 14 76 Apr 09, 2013 12:56PM
  • Mending Defects
  • Ambereye (Garoul, #2)
  • Jericho
  • Hidden Truths (The Oregon Series, #2)
  • Midnight In Orlando
  • Fated Love
  • Gulf Breeze
  • Just Jorie
  • Survived by Her Longtime Companion
Clare Ashton is the author of romcoms Poppy Jenkins and That Certain Something, both number one best-sellers on the Amazon lesbian fiction charts.

She also writes darker romances: the atmospheric Pennance and intriguing After Mrs Hamilton.

Poppy Jenkins won the Rainbow Award for best contemporary romance, After Mrs Hamilton is a Goldie Award winner and That Certain Something was a Lambda and Goldi
More about Clare Ashton...