Start by marking “The Great Gatsby and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Great Gatsby and Other Stories

The Great Gatsby and Other Stories

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  520 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Published 2012 by Monti Publishing & More (first published 1925)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Gatsby and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Gatsby and Other Stories

Nyome Boyd
I absolutely love this book! I love the sarcasm in the writing and the way that the protagonist just kind of floats around between the different "worlds" not really belonging anywhere .... just observing life from different perspectives and striving to fit, but just never quite getting there.

In the end everybody tries so hard.. but never really gets what they were looking for.

And Gatsby himself... What an interesting character for Fitzgerald to create... I can't decide if his notion of Daisy is
Luisa
The Great Gatsby:
Although at some points a choppy and confusing writing style, the wonderfulness of the story and criticism of wealth and of the "Age of Jazz", is worthy of a 4 or 4,5 stars rating for this book.
People complain that they couldn't identify with the characters, but then again, who now can when the times have changed so much? What I found truly amazing was the criticism to society and to the carelessness of the rich and affluent, and even to the newly rich, striving so hard to becom
Realini
The Great Gatsby by Scott F Fitzgerald
Wonderful book

The Great Gatsby is one of the best books ever. In fact, according to the Modern Library list of best 100 books of the 20th century, it is the second best, bested only by Ulysses.
This is the third time that I have read this fabulous book.
What struck me all the three times that I have been though these pages is its simplicity. The story seems a bit farfetched, only at one point, but then coincidences do happen and it is the only “extraordinary „
Avtar Priyadarshan
"One of the finest novel of the 21st century", this is what they said. Surely they were no nincompoops and i picked this book. A small read of around 150 pages but nonetheless entertaining. The message i got from this book is that all the people in this world are selfish and the ones who are not, people think them to be mad or crooked for they cant fathom that good people can even exist.
Ariel
I hated it. The longest one hundred something pages I ever read. I didn't like the author's writing style AT ALL. He just kept subtly criticizing everything and it got on my nerves...also his descriptions tended to be on the long, wordy, and boring side.
Steve Goodyear
Fitzgerald makes beautiful sentences which drew me in and were a pleasure to read. He also told an interesting story with very interesting characters, none of which were predictable. I really enjoyed this book.
Jessica Pendergast
F. Scott Fitzgerald is an amazing author, and this book is definitely a must read. His characters are witty and well developed. I would definitely recommend it!
Brianne
I love this book. Maybe it isn't love and instead a tender curiosity. I have yet to see the movie in fear that I will be highly disappointed. Good read.
Janna
a) The Great Gatsby

The first 60 pages were too slow for me that I nearly gave up. NEARLY. Because I hate leaving a book unread halfway. I struggled quite a bit but Chapter 4 onwards, it started to pick up & I'm like "NOW we're talking!"

Nick, the narrator, was excellent. I felt like I was with him witnessing every event unfolding in front of me. For Gatsby, I love him. It's unfortunate that he was delusional & there were times when I just wanted to yell, hug, do whatever to wake him up to
Michelle Johnston
The Great Gatsby is a story based in the 1920s in New York City after the war. The main character Nick moves to NYC and lives next door to the wealthy and much talked about Jay Gatsby who is mostly known for his wild parties and other unfounded rumours that surround the rich and famous. The story is based around Nick and a group of young men and women he meets and their life and love affairs.

I had to really try to envisioned how it must have been in those times because the book didn't describe i
Jto The
Re-read the Great Gatsby, and reminded of how incredible of a book it is. Ironically, we live in a vapid generation that may not like the book for the way it portrays them, the extravagant parties, the low morals, constant search of pleasure, fake personas and vapid friendships. Not only is his writing style fantastic, and he has a way with words, but the story itself is sublime. Well crafted to show how the choices we make affect our lives, and cause us to think of the life we are leading. In t ...more
Corinne
This book was flawless. Gatsby's character was incredibly intriguing, and I found myself wishing I could hop into the book and join in with Nick and Gatsby and Daisy. I found myself laughing at parts, and almost in tears in other parts. The ending broke my heart, but I won't give any spoilers! This book is also great if you want to learn new vocabulary. When I first started reading this book, I had to read it with a dictionary beside me because the first few chapters were full of great new words ...more
Vanessa
I feel like this book has been over-hyped. The story moved slowly and, in my opinion, was without much substance. It is written in first person, but it often seems as though the narrator has information that he should not know, therein providing the feeling of omniscience. Suffice it to say, I didn't particularly enjoy the writing style.
The author also goes off on tangents that don't really seem to move the story along in any significant way, making the 154 page story seem far longer than it ne
Elena
Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" is truly an outstanding read. I don't care what anybody says, but any media surrounding this story has no affect on how I feel about this book. I could almost feel the writer's passion on every page. His use of description paints a beautiful picture and he strikes the perfect balance between humour and sentiment throughout the story. You can tell it was clearly thought out to the very last sentence. It was a bit of a slow start but the further you read the more im ...more
Kristie Robillard
Sometimes I just don't understand why certain books/writers become famous and are considered "must reads". While I definitely enjoyed this work to "Tender is the Night", I just can't get behind it. I feel like there's almost something... But it just never quite gets there for me. The only emotion I had was at the end, but throughout I really couldn't care less about these boring, empty characters. Not only that, but I find Fitzgerald's writing style very choppy and hard to read. I was almost nev ...more
Neah
Nov 05, 2014 Neah added it
Switched to this addition because goodreads wouldn't accept TGG as a part of the reading challenge
10/14/14
Audrey-anne
The Great Gatsby was my favourite book ever. The other stories are great, very well written.
Sophia
Don't get me wrong, I love the Great Gatsby, but there was just something about his short stories that made me rate this version lower than the novel alone. After hearing so many different voices of praise for his short stories, I expected the ones in this book to be outstanding and leave me in the same way that Gatsby did. The plots of the ones selected were probably the weakest of his work, and most were so dry I forgot about them (whoops).
Sonja
Never cease to be amazed by the genius of this man's work.
Fernanda Márquez
Beautiful!!!
Courts
The story itself was quite intriguing but I couldn't bring myself to rate The Great Gatsby higher than three stars because I didn't form a connection to any of the characters. I also found the writing to be somewhat disjointed.

I'd still recommend this novel to others as I do believe it's a classic that you need to read at least once. The Great Gatsby certainly does have a unique feel to it which one would either embrace or reject completely.
Cody
Began this book about two weeks ago, finished it tonight (Jan 22, 2013) - it is not the longest read ever but it is quite enjoyable. Really didn't see what, if any, ending this would have, but it is wrapped up nicely and somewhat shockingly.

I've started to call everyone and everything "old sport". There's really nothing that can be said about this book that hasn't been said already. So read it, enjoy it or don't. I did. Take care.
Katie Bullock
So it turns out that you have to read it again to realize ITS FRIGGIN BRILLIANT. I'm loving teaching it, and the kids are glued too.
Kim Lo
The Great Gatsby is a novel worth reading. The characters are fantastic and its a quick, direct and engaging read. Although the style of writing didn’t appeal to me as much as others, it was still quite entertaining. The additional short stories were pretty fun to read as well.

Full review here: http://klling.wordpress.com/2013/08/1...
tinabel
It really is as good as everyone says.

I didn't imagine that I would dislike Daisy Buchanan as much as I did - it's definitely not a work in which you love all of the characters. I'm not even sure that I liked Gatsby himself so much. Nick Carraway, Fitzgerald's wonderful prose, and his depiction of the excesses of the rich during the Jazz Age, are the novel's saving graces, making it a beautiful tragedy.
Ishita
While "The Great Gatsby" itself was interesting, I found it hard to get through the other short stories included at the end. The themes that seemed to be unique to Gatsby, were repetitively used in almost all the short stories, and took the charm of Fitzgerald's main work away, for me. However, there were a few funny moments and flashes of inspiration, and overall made for a pleasant read.
Catherine
First time I read this many moons ago in high school I didn't like it. All I remembered was that it was about stupid rich people. The second time reading it, I can now admire it's imaginative diction and how vividly 1920's America comes to life. In the end, it's still about careless, stupid rich people. Saddening.
Vanessa Ricci-Thode
It's a well-crafted book, but difficult to enjoy when all of the characters are terrible. They're awful people on purpose, but that doesn't make them easier to stand. Fizgerald does a great job with the symbolism, and that's part of how the book is crafted. Well-written but nothing to get excited over.
Lanette
I felt so bad about this book. I know it's a classic, yada yada...but it was so sad to me. Life just seemed kind of hopeless for these characters. I can appreciate the intent for writing it, but not my favorite read.
JJ
Jul 15, 2011 JJ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to JJ by: English Teacher
I've read The Great Gatsby about 10 times, and it "gets me" each and every time. It was one of the best things I had ever read at the age of 15 and it continues to be one of my favorites still.
  • Ghost Stories
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes / His Last Bow (Collector's Library)
  • Ladies Almanack
  • Dead Girls, Dead Boys, Dead Things
  • The Major Works (Oxford World's Classics)
  • The Art of War/The Prince
  • The Short Stories of Saki
  • Lovers in the Age of Indifference
  • Le feu dans le ciel (Les Chevaliers d'Émeraude, #1)
  • The Gourmet Club
  • Haggopian and Other Stories (Best Mythos Tales)
  • Hana-Kimi (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 2: Includes vols. 4, 5 & 6
  • The Golden Legend
  • Batgirl, Vol. 6: Destruction's Daughter
  • The Follower
  • A Man in Uniform: A Novel
  • クレイモア 24 [Kureimoa 24] (Claymore, #24)
  • Batgirl/Robin Year One
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...
The Great Gatsby Tender Is the Night This Side of Paradise The Curious Case of Benjamin Button The Beautiful and Damned