Silo 4 (Wool, #4)

Silo 4 (Silo 0.4)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  4,253 ratings  ·  256 reviews
There is a legend in their past of an uprising, a war they have learned about, but have learned nothing from

Nobody knows what went wrong. Nobody talks about what happened. Such are the silo taboos.

Now, nearly two hundred years later, the people of the Silo will get a chance to learn more about that distant uprising.

They'll get to start one of their own...
Published February 12th 2013 by Piper (first published December 25th 2011)

Nataliya
Wool stories are getting longer and remain pretty good. By part 4, sh*t is getting real and the story is getting grittier. The action picks up as we get to witness the uprising in the silo and see the comfortable but stifling order and safety unravel. We finally get to see what lies beyond the hills that used to make the boundary of the visible world for the silo inhabitants.

The characters remain well-written and easy to care about. I still love Juliette, she is a kickass heroine who remains be...more
Pavlina
This series is like crack. The first story was okay, yet intriguing and sucked me in. It just keeps getting better and better. I find myslef wondering how the silos were set up and how long the people have lived in them. This installement had me wishing the bad guy would get what he deserves, yet the good guys weren't really acting so good. I cant wait for the next installment.
Jeremy
I feel the need to explain myself. I think this series is absolutely fantastic. I have given 4 stars for the first three installments, so why only 3 stars here? And the challenge is, how do I explain myself without talking about the plot, because really, this is incredibly plot driven. So I guess I do have to talk about the plot.

This installment had many of the things I liked about the first 3 - great characters, introduction of new settings, each with a unique storyline set within the framewor...more
John
I enjoyed #4 just as much as 1-3. Without providing any spoilers, I'll say that you learn a number of interesting things in this installment, but not too much, due to Howey's enjoyable way of parseling facts out while keeping wanting more. Each time the action moves from one scene of the action to another, disappointment at being left in suspense is quickly replacement with the enjoyment of the next scene. No doubt everyone who has read this book is eagerly awaiting the 5th volume, due to arrive...more
CB
Wool #4 begins with a very long and drawn out flashback to when child Juliette went to see a play with her parents. This experience is apparently so riveting that child Juliette falls asleep several times (and consequently, so does the reader.)

The entire point of this very long flashback? Apparently just to inform the reader how Juliette got her name. That's it. If you expecting a parallel between stage directors controlling the actors and IT controlling the residents of the Silo - pshaw. No su...more
David Sven
This book deals a lot with the consequences of the revelations in book three. What happens to Juliette? What will Supply and Mechanical do next? How is Bernard going to try and cover things up this time?

Howey also uses a Romeo and Juliet analogy with quotes from the play at the beginning of the chapters. Our two lovers who never were are obviously Lukas and Juliette - two people from the opposing factions of IT and Mechanical - One appears to die at the end of the last book etc etc.

And we contin...more
Wade McGinnis
My ramblings on Wool 4:

More Juliette! More Juliette! Yep, she's my favorite character by far. But seriously... I enjoyed the book. Not as much as Wool 3, because I'm just enthralled with Juliette and this book meant I was away from her at times. I enjoyed the progression of her story and her interactions with / meeting of Solo and I can't wait to learn more as Juliette does! If that's the author's plan of course. But I think people (me) really like her confrontation of Bernard. I had a hard time...more
Camilla ~ ♥ Sterek ♥ ~
Part 4 in the Wool series.. What to say, what to say..

In this part, we finally get some of the answers to the many questions that have been building up. Enough answers, though? No. Definitely not.

I still haven’t found out why I like this series. Honestly, I don’t know why. Yes, it’s interesting, and I do want to know.. more, but I’m not hooked in any way. And like I’ve said before, I find the tempo of the book very slow, even when they are running, it’s slow! But ok, if I had to run up 139 level...more
Peter Cawdron
Just finished Wool 4, and Howey's growth in the maturity of his writing from book to book is evident... the scene is set for a grand conclusion but without the predictable tropes ruling the day
Jason
5 Stars

The Unraveling continues the story at a break neck speed adding layers of political poison along the way. Juliette is the real star and her story the fuel to Silo 18.

Howey does a great job at adding in the voice of other characters without distracting from this very tight plot line. I loved the unfolding and unveiling of the lies and evil spread from up top.

"“One of my people was taken, and it was the oldest of us, the wisest of us, who intervened on her behalf. It was the weakest and mo...more
Monique
Another amazing story in this series, and more amazing twists. What makes this especially good is that the line between good and evil becomes blurred. I hope there are many more stories to come in this series.
Chelle
With the unraveling, you would think it meant things were coming apart, but it's really just starting to come together.

LOVE. THIS. SERIES.

Can't hardly wait for Wool 5. But, you know, I will.
Jessica
Review to come (hopefully this week)...by far the best Wool book yet...I lovedddd it! Now I must somehow patiently await Wool 5 :*(
Atodee
This kept me on my toes the whole time! Every time I think that it can't possiby get any more thought-provoking, it does!

Jeremy Jones
Can't wait to read Wool 5, Hugh Howey writes with purpose around a well developed plot that keeps you guessing. A great read.
Jane Stewart
Good sci-fi ideas, but lacks character development. Not enough showing. It drags.

OPINION ON THE ENTIRE SERIES:
There are five titles in the series. They are not complete stories. They are sections of one long story. The author published as he wrote. I suggest you buy the Omnibus Edition instead of the individual titles, which will save you $1, as of the date of this review. The Omnibus includes all five titles.

At the end of some of the titles I was angry or frustrated at the cliffhanger endings....more
Chris
Regina
#4 in the Wool series is my favorite, which is saying a lot. 1-3 are well-written dystopia fun, #4 is fantastic. #1, 2 and 3 are each told from the point of view of a new character. #4 remains with a character introduced in 3 but adds a new point of view.

What is so good about these books? The character development, the well written and fully fleshed out story that is both solidly built and fast paced. A world so thoroughly described and carefully written that I believe if I was dropped in a sil...more
Steven van Doorn
This review has spoilers for Wool 1, 2 & 3, but not for book 4.
(view spoiler)...more
Coleen Cloete
So far, my favourite book in the series. I liked the idea of tapping into the minds of the characters to get first hand insight into what they feel, experience and how they relate to the emotional roller coaster ride events has put them on. I wonder how they will be able to portray this in a movie / series. I will certainly be interesting. I almost feel sad that I have only one left to read. How is that possible? I want more.......more... more.....

Juliet's character really came to life in this b...more
Igor
There is no way to write a short review about this book without spoilers included. Simply everything matters, its like chapter in the book where everything starts to fit in. Actually, Omnibus IS like one book with 5 chapters, can't be wrong about that.
Anyway, 5 stars easily and its possibly even better then the first one.
Vince
With Wool 4, Hugh Howey hits readers fast, frequently, and hard with story developments well-grounded in his established context. The action is tense and you'll find yourself rooting for the good guys. In fact, you'll probably lap this up so quickly that you wont even notice that this novella is longer than the previous works.
Jfk111
Absolutely dope! Holy cow! Could barely put any of the books in this series down!

!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that that's out of the way, there's something really cool about Wool. Something as simple as the title of the series brings it out. These books have a sense of warmth and comfort (like wool) that is rare in sci-fi.
Ian
I hesitate to keep rating these "books" one by one. I really should just rate and review the whole five-part omnibus edition when I'm done. But the thing is, I have set my goal at 55 books this year, and last year I only just barely made my 50-book goal, so I need to pad my stats. Is that wrong?
Mark Smith
Man I get sucked in deeper and deeper into this series (feels like level 130 or so)! I love the developments in 2,3, and 4 and the emergence of Jules as heroine plus her attendant strengths and weaknesses- and the people who built her! Okay now, I am new to the series - when can we expect 5?!
Amy
This is such a brutal, yet satisfying series. I like the small size of each installment. These are perfect to read inbetween finishing one book and the release of another book. I like the way events are unfolding in this one and look forward to reading the exciting final installment!
Brandi
Oh, oh! Bittersweet news: the fifth and final (aw) is coming out in February! I cannot wait.

The subtitle for this installment is so apt. Unraveling the mysteries of the Wool world is addictive pleasure.
Joel Margolese
Now we are getting somewhere. The series is gathering an awful momentum. Learning a bit more about the characters motivations and how they are trapped in so many ways. But still, what's with the wool?
SciFi and Fantasy...: The Unraveling *Book 4 Spoilers Only* 19 216 Feb 25, 2014 06:09PM
The Sword and Laser: Discuss Book 4: The Unraveling 28 183 May 23, 2013 12:18PM
  • The Runner
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 2 (Yesterday's Gone, #2)
  • San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.2)
  • The Old Man and the Wasteland
  • Refugees (The Remaining, #3)
  • Trans-Human (Post-Human, #3)
  • Story Time
  • Desolation
  • Arisen, Book One - Fortress Britain
  • We Only Need the Heads (The Human Division, #3)
  • Blue Skies (Atopia Chronicles, #1)
  • The End - Visions of Apocalypse
  • The Annihilation of Foreverland (Foreverland, #1)
  • ORBS
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
I'm the author of WOOL, a top 5 science fiction book on Amazon. I also wrote the Molly Fyde saga, a tale of a teenager from the 25th century who is repeatedly told that girls can't do certain things -- and then does them anyway.

A theme in my books is the celebration of overcoming odds and of not allowing the cruelty of the universe to change who you are in the process. Most of them are classified...more
More about Hugh Howey...
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) Wool (Wool, #1) Shift (Silo, #2) Dust (Silo, #3) First Shift: Legacy (Shift, #1)

“Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one's conscience to get in the way.” 60 likes
“There were certain things, learned so young and remembered so deep that they felt like little stones in the center of her mind.” 21 likes