Silo 3 (Wool, #3)

Silo 3 (Wool #3)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  5,111 ratings  ·  322 reviews
The silo has appointed a new sheriff. Her name is Juliette, and she comes not from the shadows of deputies, but from the depths of the down deep.

But what does being a mechanic have to do with upholding the law? And how will she be able to concentrate on the silo's future when she is surrounded by the ghosts of its past?

Before she can even settle in, the whirring gears of t...more
Published January 15th 2013 by Piper (first published December 4th 2011)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Amazing, freaking amazing. Now that all that world building is out of the way, the author can focus on the plot. And what a plot it is, there's mystery brewing in the silos, suspicion of a greater force at work causing a line of deaths that constantly keep happening..

Great commendations for Hugh Howey's work, a short, concise, lyrical masterpiece. Even the most mundane parts of everyday life is painted beautifully, placing you right there in the desolate life of being trapped in a silo. Each of...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
Wool : The Circle of Life at Warp-Speed.

Wool : Where Knowing is NOT Half the Battle

Wool : Ignorance Really is Bliss

Wool : Proving That You're Never as Smart as You Think You Are

Not only have my questions gone unanswered, but now I have new questions. Thanks Mr. Howey, I appreciate it. I don't even know if that's sarcasm coming out or not.

This series of shorts is one big mind trip. I have no idea how so much is packed into so little space; it's quite crazy. But come ON - is anyone going to catch...more
David Sven
And the plot thickens in this 3rd book of the Wool Omnibus as Juliette suspects foul play in the latest deaths in the Silo. Things just aren't adding up and IT seems to be at the heart of it.

Fantastic tension and suspense and a pretty amazing revelation at the end. Howey continues with his knitting terminology in the titles. In knitting, "casting off" is where you tie of the loose ends when you've finished your knitting session so that the creation you are working on doesn't unravel. Tantalisin...more
Nataliya
As the story expands, the world of Wool gets more fleshed out and more fascinating. I love Juliette; it is very nice to see a well-written female character by a male author (it happens way less often than I'd like). The writing is crisp. The atmosphere in the silo is bleak and suffocating, the tension is palpable, and the suspense builds up constantly. The pacing is great, and the action picks up nicely from the previous installment. The tone is quite different from the first novella, the one th...more
J.R.
The Wool series keeps getting better and better, with this installment bringing the series into full five star range. Three books in, there is only so much you can say in a review at this point... the people who like the series will continue to like the series and the people who haven't read the series will go check out the reviews for #1/#2. Suffice it to say, this is my favorite book in the series thus far and I eagerly started in on Wool 4 the next day without skipping a beat. In general, I'v...more
Peter Cawdron
Love it, especially the ending...

Wool is science fiction in the human sense, asking "what if?" a small colony survived for hundreds of years beyond some unimaginable Armageddon, isolated underground in a silo? What rules for life would they need to maintain? What challenges would they face from the past? What new social controls would there be to maintain order and keep people in place? And how would the natural effervescent of mankind rise up against that?
Jason
5 Stars

This was probably my favorite book in the series. In this third novel, our real main hero is finally fleshed out. She is an amazing, strong, and smart woman named Juliette. She is a Mechanic / Sheriff / Mechanic ... and more. Her dedication to the workings of the machines of the Silo, and thus the people of the Silo make her a natural star.

I loved how her story quickly spirals into chaos. With it we are given more back story, additional characters, and possibly some romance too. The polit...more
Kay
As with all other Wools before this, the narrative was engaging, the world building was evocative, and the plotting was deliberate. Nothing felt forced or contrived. Also, as with the previous Wools, the tone of this novella was unique. The language was more direct and deliberate, compared to the Wool 1's haunted feel or Wool 2's more reflective tone.

My only criticism is that I didn't connect with the main character as much as I did in the two previous books. Despite her hard working nature, I...more
Cass
This book nailed it. It could (almost) stand alone as a book. The last few lines are enough to make it a classic in my view. Brilliant.

... It still has a stupid name.
Kaila
This review is also available on my blog, Stumptown Books.

Now this gets back into what I loved about Wool 1. We start off knowing how it is going to end, and just like in the first book, I simply had to know what was going to happen. We learn more about the insidious IT department after a whirlwind investigation that leaves us with another cleaning imminent. The last line has assured that I will be a FAN4LYFE and I can hardly wait to pick up Wool 4 to see what happens. Don't stop after Wool 2 (w...more
Igor
Wool 3 puts us back in action after somehow slow and more describing Wool 2. Don't get me wrong, it's not like the first one, starts a bit slower as we get to know how Jules handling her new sheriff role but then we are getting back to where Allison and Holsten have been, finding out whats happening.
Wool 1 gave us some answers (at the end) but Wool 3 elaborates it just a bit more to keeps us on our toes... do you wanna see how deep the rabbit-hole goes?
Profundus Librum
A második részért finoman szólva sem voltam túlzottan odáig, ám ez szerencsére a harmadik részre jobbára megváltozott. Az események most is a második rész után szinte rögtön folytatódnak, az előző kötetből már megismert szereplőkkel. Az eddigi stiklik, öngyilkosságok, fura események elkezdtek összeállni, és lassan kirajzolódik előttünk egy jóval nagyobb méretű és sötétebb összeesküvés képe, mint amire eddig gyanakodtunk. A regény végre mozgalmasabbá, sokkal izgalmasabbá, már-már tényleg félelmet...more
Edmund Davis-Quinn
The Wool Omnibus may end up being one of the classics of science fiction. I started this then left it behind. The end of Wool 3 is beautiful, heartbreaking and amazing.
CB
Another WOOL novella, another pastiche of dystopian tropes sprinkled liberally with the hackneyed cliches from generic procedural TV series.

Here's all the plot action in a nutshell:

Juliette takes over as Sheriff.

Juliette sticks her pretty little nose where it doesn't belong.

Juliette meets cute a boy in the cafeteria. And not just any boy: one who conveniently works in IT and just happens to chart stars. Aw, talk about your heavy handed star-crossed lovers' reference.

Juliette gets fired by Obvio...more
Sam
First off I hate to give bad reviews but this isn’t really a bad book just an OK one. So here goes with no spoilers I promise. I was in the middle of book 3. When I asked myself do these characters ever get any depth before they die? Are the most basic, obvious motivations all the bad guys can muster? Or has the silo somehow bred out any intelligence and suspicion? I can now answer that question. Nope what you read is what you get.

Book 3 was aptly named casting off because that is exactly what...more
Nathan
Each book brings a freshness to the story. It's weird how well this is done. It's not just the view and voice, but there is a natural, almost logical flow of genres as well.

Some of that kind of detail comes up later in the series. There _should_ be a "logical" flow of genres. That actually plays out as a plot point in a very meta-compositional way.

This book is a murder mystery book. It's still the same sci-fi, dystopian work that the previous books were, so the murder mystery has the oppressive...more
Chip
OK - the rubber meets the road here. From the beginning of this episode I had a hunch as to what was going to happen and even though the ending of the episode vindicated my beliefs, it did so in a way that has left me wanting more. I have a feeling that the next few books in the series are really going to pick up.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have the next book to read. I'm a bit afraid now though, is the series done yet? Or, am I going to race ahead and suddenly come to a screeching halt on a cli...more
Chelle
Love the knitting metaphors in the titles, by the way. In knitting, you really don't know how a project has turned out until you cast off and can hold it up free of the needles.

With each installment of Wool, a character (or two) are cast off, and a character or two are picked up and carried along. It's taking shape, the patterns are flowing. Even though it seems a short distance between a character's introduction and their eventual demise, I feel a pang of grief at their passing. And move on to...more
Althea Ann
As many people are aware, the ‘Wool’ saga began with an eponymous, self-contained short story.
The subsequent four sections in ‘Wool’ are not so self-contained. They’re all longer, and they’re all really ‘chapters’ rather than independent stories. Chronologically, they follow the events of the first section, and follow a growing conflict within the silo between the Mechanical group and the IT group. As with any story that deals with hidden knowledge and old secrets, there’s a gradual reveal whic...more
rameau
So this is why serialised fiction sells on Amazon. I'm sorry but it's not working for me.

After the first one, these two novellas (that I got when they were free last year) feel like overly long chapters of a longer story. Howey might have done better plotting and writing a full length novel after the first story than keep adding these short stories and later slapping them together into incomplete omnibus packets.
Leslie Lee Sanders
Wool 2 and Wool 3 should have been combined into one book because more interesting things happens in Wool 3 than the previous. I really liked this one. I wished Lukas was more involved with Jules. I wish there was a little more romance to the stories overall as well. However, great story! It should be apparent, I can't stop reading about this interesting place and the characters.
Marion
Loved It! Did you get a Kindle for the holidays? Or if not, a Kindle app will do. Read the first pages of the Wool series on Amazon. I did and was instantly hooked. I downloaded Wool 4, but have yet to start it. Just like a fine wine I am saving it for the right occasion. Because I know once I start it there will be no putting the Kindle down until I savor every last drop!
Coleen Cloete
So the plot thickens.... I enjoyed the third book in the series and with this one it did feel like another "layer" of the plot was revealed. The new characters coming from this novel also leaves you with an anticipation to see how they will be develop / evolve in the next book. Cannot wait to start reading the next one. Must say, the TV series is a great idea.
Amy
Really, 3-1/2 stars. This one had more excitement and elicited more feelings than the previous installments. While I still don't understand why Juliette had daddy issues, she was an interesting character. The story angered me often but also had a lot of heart. The beginning was a huge shock. The ending was fabulous.
Gertie
Another great installment in the series. In this one we get to know Juliette a bit better, as she begins to unravel some mysteries of the silo, and the machinations of its inhabitants.

This one ends on a forehead slapping jaw-dropping cliffhanger (which is why I have to stop writing now so I can go start reading #4).
Rizwan
So I have been on a science fiction bender recently, and though its not my favorite genre, I have enjoyed each and every book I have read. The trick seems to be picking the right book. Who knew? :P

As for the latest installment of Wool and the life inside the Silo - this picks up immediately after the last story and deals with the consequences of the murder of the Mayor, and the other nefarious dealings of Bernard, the IT chief. And the rise and fall of Sheriff Juliette as she uncovers the horrif...more
Sonja Arlow
I read Wool 3 at lightning speed and must say that this instalment has the best protagonist of the bunch. This author has the gift of ending with such great cliff-hangers that one can’t not buy the next instalment.
Ben Belchak
Wool 3 is now my favorite of the series. Wool was full of little mind-twisters, and really left you thinking about life and our society. Wool 3, however, just completely blew my mind. Excellent!
{eri}
The story and character of Juliette are great with an ending that leaves you wanting more. The time it took to dive into the next volume was minimal but still a painful wait of minutes!
SciFi and Fantasy...: Casting Off *Book 3 Spoilers Only* 23 221 Feb 22, 2014 06:49AM
The Sword and Laser: Discuss Book 3: Casting Off 40 238 May 26, 2013 11:31AM
  • The Runner
  • The Sky Used to be Blue: a Silo story (Karma)
  • Greatfall: The Complete Novel
  • San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.1)
  • The Observers (The Human Division, #9)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 2 (Yesterday's Gone, #2)
  • Blue Skies (Atopia Chronicles, #1)
  • The Old Man and the Wasteland
  • Trans-Human (Post-Human, #3)
  • Click-Clack the Rattlebag
  • Going Dark (Silo 49 #1)
  • The Demon You Know (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom #4.5)
  • Fractured (The Remaining, #4)
  • Desolation
I'm the author of WOOL, a top 5 science fiction book on Amazon. I also wrote the Molly Fyde saga, a tale of a teenager from the 25th century who is repeatedly told that girls can't do certain things -- and then does them anyway.

A theme in my books is the celebration of overcoming odds and of not allowing the cruelty of the universe to change who you are in the process. Most of them are classified...more
More about Hugh Howey...
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) Wool (Wool, #1) Shift (Silo, #2) Dust (Silo, #3) First Shift: Legacy (Shift, #1)

“She rubbed the charcoal letters with her fingers, transferring some of her friends' black thoughts to herself.” 1 likes