Start by marking “Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1)

Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  2,889 Ratings  ·  408 Reviews
Cara Devon has always suffered curiosity and impetuousness, but tangling with a serial killer might cure that. Permanently.

1861. Cara has a simple mission in London – finalise her father’s estate and sell off his damned collection of priceless artifacts. Her plan goes awry when a killer stalks the nobility, searching for an ancient Egyptian relic rumoured to hold the key t
Published February 14th 2013 by Curiosity Quills Press (first published February 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Nefertiti's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nefertiti's Heart

A.W. Exley
Nov 22, 2012 A.W. Exley added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
I wrote it, so I'm kinda biased :)
An ancient artefact, a kick arse heroine, a serial killer & a bad boy Viscount, sexiness, airships and pirates - what more could you want?
Anne Odom
Quick warning - this book contains triggers for those who have experienced physical and sexual abuse.

Overall, the book is a fun read if you enjoy a romance with a pushy male lead who swoops in and rescues the female lead in her times of duress. If you are more of a "female-kicks-ass" fan, you might not like this tale so much.

What I liked
-------------------
* The steampunk world - well crafted with many creative mechanical elements subtly included in the regular every-day way of things.
* Well-craf
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Don’t be fooled by the description for this book. It has little to do with steampunk or mystery and everything to do with romance. I don’t like romance so it was a big turn off for me. I was expecting a fun steampunk adventure with a strong female character but what I got was LOTS of romance. Talk about being misled!

The sexual content of the book should definitely be mentioned in the description and I really think no book depicting the repeated rape and beating of an underage child should come
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
Free on Kindle: July 23, 2016. Apparently, this is steampunk lite and heavy on the romance, with some possibly controversial topics. Read my friend Sarah's review to see if you may be put off by it. I'm a masochist when it comes to books, so I'm going to give it a try. What can I say.
Steven
I took a chance requesting this one from Netgalley, and it was WELL worth it.

This is a fun romp through a Victorian-era London, with the steampunk technological twist. Likeable characters, an intriguing mystery, and a vividly described (and brought to life) world made this a 5 star for me.

Cara Devon's father was NOT a good man. At the age of 14, after some seriously rotten events (that are revealed over the course of the book), Cara bolts and doesn't return until 7 years later after the death of
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
AMMP Buddy Read with Venecia & Preethi!

So I admit I skimmed a bit toward the 2/3 mark. Maybe part of it was because I'd put the book down for a few days in order to read Fairest, but I think it had already lost some of my interest before that point, unfortunately. The romance didn't interest me at all; I'd gone into this book expecting something akin to an Indiana Jones adventure with a bit of steampunk thrown in, and the book seemed unable to decide whether it wanted to be that with a kicka
Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕
I lurk over at the Goodreads Writer's Group every now & again & I was impressed with some of A.W's comments & her attitude to writing. & she is a Kiwi - bonus. & this particular book was free on my Kindle - for the win!

I liked the realisation of a very different Victorian England & the story itself was a fast paced read. In spite of her horrific past I never became fond of Cara & found some of her actions & motivations bizarre. I did quite like Nate though.

I've ne
Marijan
I'm not sure how to rate this book. First half was interesting, the romance didn't get in the way too much, and then...there was too much romance,not enough adventure and mystery was solved too quickly. I guess 3.5 going on 3.
it is a well researched and skillfuly written book, though.
AudibleQun
Apr 07, 2015 AudibleQun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting 19th Century Mystery

This book had a lot of different elements (steam punk, adventure, "archeology," etc.), but overall it was a murder mystery. I found the story very enjoyable, though it did read a bit like a Mary Higgins Clark novel. That is, I knew who the killer was halfway through the story and the loose ends information was given via character explanation at the end of the book.
Beth
Cara Devon has suffered her father’s whims and paid a horrible price. Now he’s dead and she must reface her past, return to London and the society that sat idle and watched while she was so badly misused. She is a survivor. She escaped her abuse and nothing will get in her way now. Cara is determined to sell off all her father’s precious collection and leave London and her past behind her forever.

Viscount Nathaniel Lyons wants Cara’s artifacts. He wasn’t prepared for the spit fire that shot his
Jaid
Aug 01, 2013 Jaid rated it liked it
I was very torn about how I felt about this book. I enjoyed the murder mystery aspects immensely. I also was very intrigued by the way author weaves in aspects of Steam Punk Fantasy without letting it bog down descriptive narrative. An unfortunate failing in many steam punk or sci-fi novels in my opinion. The story line is creative and has just enough twists to keep you hooked without becoming garbled. Over all a thoroughly entertaining murder mystery in a unique setting.

Where I get very conflic
Feminista
Mar 04, 2015 Feminista rated it it was ok
Shelves: steampunk
Writing style was not too impressive. A bit abrupt...

The plot was also unrealistic. The heroine was supposed to be this strong woman with an abusive past. But then she becomes weak for the hero. The first time she visits the hero at his home, a near stranger to her, he tells her to take a bath and change her clothes and she does, with no resistance. She tells herself she needs a bath. Well maybe don't take it in a stranger's home.
Dragana
First thing that attracted me to Nefertiti's Heart was the title. You may not know, but I am crazy about Egyptian history and mythology, so as soon as I heard Nefertiti - I had to read it. The second thing that I liked was the cover art. That steampunk heart looked so awesome, I just had to know how A.W. Exley merged steampunk and Egypt into one. Robot-mummy Nefertiti? One can only hope. :)

My realistic expectations that I will like Nefertiti's Heart were, honestly, pretty low. I never heard abou
Amy
Edited on May 22, 2015
After reading The Iron Duke, and seeing how much more inclusive a steampunk romance can be, I had to come back here and change my rating from a 4 to a 3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I vacillated between giving this 2 stars and 4. Obviously, the higher rating won out.

There are things about this book that can absolutely make a reader hate it. Things like a magic penis that (view spoiler)
Diantha Jones
Nov 16, 2014 Diantha Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ORIGINALLY POSTED TO DJ'S BOOK CORNER

Steampunk is quickly becoming one of my favorite genres. I’d had my eye on this book on Amazon for months (look at that beautiful cover!), so when the author appeared on the Masquerade Crew site, I was like WHAAAA??? Let me get Nefertiti’s Heart! She gave it to me, and I tried to hold off, but like I said, I’ve been eyeballing this book for forever.

The beginning is intriguing and I immediately liked the main character, Cara. From the jump, we learn that she’s
Lauren
Neferitit's Heart
4 Stars

After the death of her father, Cara Devon inherits his collection of priceless artifacts. Her plan is to locate and sell the hidden antiquities, but soon discovers that she is not the only one searching for them. A deranged killer is hunting amongst the daughters of the nobility for an ancient Egyptian relic rumored to hold the key to immortality and Cara realizes that she must find it before she becomes the next victim.

An entertaining mix of mystery, romance and treasur
Stephanie Kaye (In Wonderland)
This review was originally posted on In Wonderland My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this book! I was a little hesitant to pick it up for reasons I will never understand but I am so glad I did because I thoroughly enjoyed this and am really itching to get to the rest of this series!

Things that I really enjoyed:

All of the Egyptian-ness within it! It was great to hear about some of these artifacts and the Egyptian elements were wonderful!
I really loved the mystery that went with this. It wasn't jus
Talia
Aug 15, 2016 Talia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cara returns to London after her father's mysterious death due to being bitten by an Egyptian asp. He had been an avid collector of rare artifacts, so Cara wants to find and sell the artifacts and be rid of her harsh childhood home for good. But when young women similar to Cara's station in life start being found murdered with a key jammed into their hearts, Inspector Fraser thinks Cara is involved somehow and warns her not to leave London. In the meantime, Cara makes an arrangement with the das ...more
Ella Carmichael
Jun 30, 2016 Ella Carmichael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It passed my 2 main criteria. It was enjoyable, and it kept me hooked right up to the final word. I really like the lead characters, and they are portrayed in such a way that the reader genuinely wants them to succeed. I found the romance a little off-putting, but that's because a) it was unexpected and b) I am not what one might describe as a true romantic. There is such sizzling heat between the main characters that it's not advisable for anyone who has just been through a breakup to read this ...more
Robyn
Jun 01, 2015 Robyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I enjoyed this but thought it was a bit thin. That being said, I know it's a series so quite a bit of time ended up being spent on character & world building. I enjoyed Cara as a heroine but didn't think she was entirely believable (and I think her past would be difficult for some readers). Nonetheless, it was witty and I suspect I'll plunge back into the series at some point. 3.5 stars.
Bill Tillman
Oh this tale started out so very well, only to fall into adult sexuality. Not my cup of tea, but really great steampunk.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
First I want to send a big thank you to Curiosity Quills who, after I mentioned not being able to read the galley I received due to computer issues and having it expire on me, sent me an e-copy. I was completely surprised by this and their kindness has definitely left it’s mark. Now on to the review.

Nefertiti’s Heart is a delicious mix of historical romance, mystery and steampunk with an ever so slight sprinkle of fantasy. I originally snatched this one due to the name and the added steampunk el
Angie
Feb 26, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing
This book blew me away. Suspense, mystery, romance, and the added element of steampunk injected with some mythology. It was exactly what I was looking for when I carelessly typed steampunk into Amazons search bar praying and hoping something decent would pop up for once.

Cara was an amazing character, right from the get go I was dying to know what her story was, and with any great book it was giving to me in increments. Keeping me biting at the bit for more and surprising me with different inform
Valerie
Feb 19, 2017 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-challenge
Considering I am not a big fan of steampunk, I was pleasantly surprised with this novel. The gadgets and such were there, but this book has strength of the characters and the plot. Will most likely buy and finish the series.
Deborah
Jan 31, 2014 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Despite being a life long fantasy addict, this was my first experience of a steampunk novel, and I loved it. I will certainly be reading more, starting with the next book in this series.

I rated this book at 4 1/2 stars; a really enjoyable, gripping read that I’d happily recommend. The writing is filled with vivid imagery and flows beautifully, I was drawn inside Cara’s head from the word go and couldn’t wait to find out where she was going next. The characters were all highly individual, especia
Alexandria
Hmmmm..I wanted to rate this book higher but I had a serious problem with the story. So the plot consisted of the oh so generic template of "mystery murders" where we have a killer on the loose and of course our heroine has to find/defeat/stop said killer. We've all seen it before, if not a hundred times, and it tends to get old. Usually I find books with this particular theme off putting, but every now and then an author is able to add an extra twist or spice that keeps me interested.

Unfortuna
Holly Eller
May 08, 2013 Holly Eller rated it it was amazing
I was insatiable in reading Nefertiti's Heart! This was only my second steam punk book and this book is downright amazing. The descriptions in the story make you feel like you are Cara and that your life is literally turned upside down. While I was reading, I was tossed into her world of danger, lies, secrets, and treachery. Sometimes I was Angry for Cara, sometimes I was Angry with Cara, sometimes I loved with Cara, Sometimes I cried with Cara, Sometimes I cried For Cara, and I felt like I ran ...more
Ann M. Noser
Feb 19, 2015 Ann M. Noser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since this was the very first steampunk novel I ever read, this whole Victorian/steam-machine/attention to wardrobe detail was new--and very intriguing to me.

To contradict some of the other reviews, I liked how the author mixed up the romance with the mystery. I did predict ahead of time who the villain actually was, but the author deftly kept the characters in confusion until the final scenes.

I'm not a romance reader, and generally skip or skim any sex scenes, so be fairly warned--this is not
  • His Lordship Possessed (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #2)
  • Chasing the Star Garden (The Airship Racing Chronicles, #1)
  • Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • Fate War: Alliance
  • The Moonstone and Miss Jones (Paranormal Investigator, #2)
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • A Study in Silks (The Baskerville Affair, #1)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
  • The Diabolical Miss Hyde (Electric Empire, #1)
  • Storms of Lazarus (Shadows of Asphodel #2)
  • Clockworks and Corsets
  • Peacemaker (The Flash Gold Chronicles, #3)
  • His Clockwork Canary (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #2)
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale (Stormy Gale, #1)
Books and writing have always been an enormous part of my life. I survived school by hiding out in the library, with several thousand fictional characters for company. At university, I overcame the boredom of studying accountancy by squeezing in Egyptology papers and learning to read hieroglyphics.

I write fantasy historical novels from my home in rural New Zealand.

I send out a newsletter a maximum
More about A.W. Exley...

Artifact Hunters (4 books)
  • Hatshepsut's Collar (Artifact Hunters, #2)
  • Nero's Fiddle (Artifact Hunters #3)
  • Moseh's Staff (Artifact Hunters #4)

“Are we immortal?" he paused in his exploration of her skin.

Mischief shone in her eyes. "Want me to shoot you and find out?”
6 likes
“do you tell if someone is immortal?” she whispered. “You kill them, and see if they get up again,” he answered, always pragmatic.” 1 likes