Start by marking “The Labyrinth of Osiris” as Want to Read:
The Labyrinth of Osiris

The Labyrinth of Osiris (Yusuf Khalifa #3)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  578 ratings  ·  105 reviews
Since they last met, life has moved on for Yusuf Khalifa of the Luxor Police and Jerusalem detective Arieh Ben-Roe. About to become a father for the first time, Ben-Roi finds himself investigating a gruesome murder in Jerusalem's Armenian Cathedral. The victim, a journalist named Rivka Kleinberg, had been researching an article into the Israeli sex-trafficking industry. Wh ...more
Published 2012 by Atlantic Monthly Press

To ask other readers questions about The Labyrinth of Osiris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Labyrinth of Osiris

Kate
Paul Sussman, journalist and archaeologist, brings the cities and deserts of Israel and Egypt to life. Combining police investigations with historical puzzles, the complex and deeply layered stories are set within the context of the cultural and religious conditions that mark these societies. This fourth novel reunites previous characters Arieh Ben-Roe, a detective in Jerusalem and Yusuf Khalifa of the Luxor Police and their own deeply personal and involving stories are played out alongside thei ...more
Abdelfattah Qabel
كاتب صهيوني بأمتياز يحاول دمج الكيان اليهودي (إسرائيل) فى مجتمعنا من خلال ترسيخ مبداء انهم بشر والمصريين بشر والمشاكل بيننا سياسية. كما انة يخيل للقارئ ان بناء علاقة مع شخص من الكيان اليهودي شئ طبيعئ لا ضرر فية.
Patrice Hoffman
*Won through a Goodreads Giveaway*

This is the first novel I have read by the late Paul Sussman but it will not be the last. Although it's saddening that this collection of stories involving Yusuf Khalifa and Arieh Ben-Roi, I look forward to reading the other two books that preceded this one.

The story is told in such a atmospheric and descriptive manner that it's hard not to feel like I'm in the deserts of Egypt or on the streets of Jerusalem. I thoroughly enjoyed the pace of this novel as well.
Flora
I'm a third of the way through and thoroughly enjoying it. The brilliant and very real characters, the gripping plot that excites set amongst the heartfelt personal lives of Khalifa and Ben-Roi. Another fantastic read. Some very poignant bits in view of Sussman's tragic death, so sad to think this will be the last in the series.
Marisa
Really interesting book! Lots of facts, history and current politic through the World. Really liked it and makes me sad that it ended.
Gaby
Страхотна книга с много вълнуващ сюжет! В нея няма житейски мъдрости и дълбоки размисли, но нима всяка трябва да цели това?
Трета от поредицата с главен герой египетския полицай Юсуф Халифа, в която водеща роля има и израелският му колега Ариех Бен Рои. Именно с убийство на журналистка в Арменска катедрала в Йерусалим се завързва историята. А разследването му вади наяве разкрития за секс трафик, мултимилионна корпорация, мъртъв археолог, древна златна мина, чието име носи и заглавието на романа,
Nuno Magalhães
Aug 20, 2014 Nuno Magalhães rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fãs de thrillers
Shelves: thriller, own
Está aqui um thriller muito interessante e absorvente para quem gosta de histórias de crime e subsequente investigação policial. Neste livro, o autor desenvolve, numa narrativa bem construída e estruturada, a investigação de dois crimes aparentemente sem relação ocorridos respetivamente em Jerusalém e Luxor, no Deserto Oriental Egípcio. À medida que as investigações são desenvolvidas separadamente por cada um dos detetives, Ben-Roi e Khalifa, o autor vai desenvolvendo a narrativa, alternando ent ...more
Mel
Despite receiving this as part of the Transworld Historical Reading Challenge, this book is set firmly in modern times beginning with a murder in the Armenian Cathedral in Jerusalem and stretching back to the death of an Egyptoglist in the 1930 in Luxor. This an intrigue crime thriller set in one of the most complicated areas of the modern world – Jerusalem and Luxor with two detectives from very different cultures and backgrounds working at different elements of the mystery.

The characters are
Kate
Interesting book. I found the plot rather too complicated woven with too many strands to follow, but I liked the protagonists very much. The detectives are an Egyptian and an Israeli, friends though working for different forces in different countries, with great character development and background- very human and likeable.

The plot involves big international business, politics, toxic waste dumping and resulting well poisoning, cyber sabotage and environmental protest, archaeology, smuggling of
Bob
I am not sure I really liked the book. If I had, it would have been a 5 star. It is that well written. The plot method of jumping around in time and space is not one of my favorites. One thing you learn from this book is what a wretched place the middle east is in which to live. Very few of the characters are anyone you would want to know. Reminds me of the current crop of Scandinavian titles. Miserable people in a miserable place having miserable things happen. However, this is better written t ...more
Cheryl Carpinello
Two things I was hate when reading: Finishing a book I want to keep reading and having to haul out the kleenex.

Paul Sussman's The Labyrinth of Osiris is one of those books. Sussman provides readers with fast-moving intricate action, characters a reader must cheer for, exotic settings, suspense, and one h*** of an ending! If this is what you look for in your reading, I recommend all of Paul's books.

Sadly, The Labyrinth of Osiris was his last before his untimely death. Such a loss to the literary
matteo
I flew through the four-pack of Sussman books, and now I am sad that there are no more. These are the books I keep hoping Steve Berry will write. They are modern-day Indiana Jones. I love the Egyptology, the archaeology, the history. The mysteries are fascinating, and the stories are engrossing. The characters are well written and have depth, which is unusual for a historical mystery thriller. The setting is fun, different, and contemporary. Sussman knows his subjects. I ate these books up, and ...more
Stuart
Read as one of a group of archaeological mysteries, I enjoyed this very much, the first book I have read by Paul Sussman. It features a pair of detectives, one Israeli, one Egyptian, who improbably have worked together before and do so again in a mystery that starts with the murder of a journalist in Jerusalem’s Armenian Cathedral, and expands to encompass many kinds of international crime.
The book keys off the murder of the investigative Israeli journalist, called Rivka Kleinberg. Detective Ar
Sabrine Faragallah
Great reading for travel. I picked this only on account of the sources of positive reviews printed on the cover and did not want a let down like the last paperback I read by Tom Knox.

It was a long read but the story had a great pace, well developed although slightly stereotypical characters, and a solid plot. It was a highly entertaining mix of white collar crime, vice, murder, and history and I would recommend this for anyone looking for a good fiction to read during a very long flight.
you ness
آخر روايات بول سوسمان ( الصحافي و عالم الآثار الخبير في الآثار الفرعونية) و آخر حلقة في سلسلة '' الضابط يوسف خليفة ''..
الرواية جاءت واعدة كسابقاتها، تشويق..اثارة..رعب..حبس انفاس..خيال خصب..معلومات غزيرة..وصف دقيق جدا
صراحة رواية متقنة بشكل كبير، لكنها تركت انطباعا سيئا لدي بسبب نهايتها الماساوية بموت احد ابطال القصة و كذلك طابعها الحزين منذ البداية
ايضا لم يعجبني تقديم صورة عن التعاون العربي الاسرائيلي الذي بدا في رواية '' آخر اسرار الهيكل ''
لكن تبقى روايات جميلة و انصح بقراءتها
Ricky
This is a great book – the plot is wonderful, it has twists and turns that keeps you hooked throughout. The characters are raw and believable in their struggle to solve the many intricate clues that get thrown into the plot - as one door opens another door shuts. This is an amazing storyline that surprises you at different junctions. Paul Sussman was a very talented writer and I feel very saddened that this will be his last book after dying this year.
Curt Hopkins Hopkins
Maybe the best book I've read all year. You don't usually come across detective novels that make you want to cheer and also cry. This one does. It's the last novel in Sussman's series featuring Jerusalem Senior Detective Arieh Ben-Roi and Luxur Police Inspector Yusuf Khalifa. Not a moment of sentimentality or squishy multi-cultural hugging. Just humans. After you finish it, check out a bio of Sussman. It'll break your fucking heart.
Kreem
في تقديري؛ الشخصي؛ أن هذه الرواية؛ هي أفضل رواية كتبها الكاتب/ بول سوسمان؛ وكانت آخر رواية؛ كتبها المؤلف؛ قبل وفاته؛ في حادث مأساوي؛ قبل حوالي سنتين تماماً؛ أي يوم 31 مايو 2012م..... وبذلك نفتقد الحبكة، والمخيلة، والإثارة؛ التي عشتناها؛ مع بول سوسمان.... ربما أقول أني أفتقده؛ منا أفتقد الكاتب الرائعة/ أغاثا كريستي... هذه الرواية؛ عبارة عن مجموعة ألغاز؛ تكاد تجدها؛ في كل صفحة من صفحات الرواية؛ التي تبدأ بمقتل صحفية؛ في مدينة القدس؛ وفي محاول لمعرفة قاتلها؛ تتشابك خطوط القضية، وتتوسع؛ لتصل إلى مصر ...more
Carole Sinclair-smith
Great book and I am so sorry that I have finished it and left the wonderful characters. How sad that we shall not be enjoying any more wonderful books from Paul Sussman. I have visited Egypt twice and toured the Valley of the Kings and the wonderful temples along the Nile with an Egyptologist and this book brought the whole area alive for me again.
Marc
His final novel is his best. Starts with a murder and then takes the reader from Israel to the deserts of Egypt to the States-with trafficking, mining-he delivers characters with such depth-the reader cares for the good guys & loathes the bad. Thank you, Paul Sussman...every story you wrote, stayed with me. I recommend all his books.
Sofy
حسنا انهيتها ...
وأحببتها كذلك ..

كانت تجربتي الأولى مع بول سوسمان لقد استغرقت مني الصفحات المئة الأولى ثلاثة أيام لم أكن أجد رابطا بين مايحدث , وتعدد الشخصيات والأماكن بعثت فيًّ السأم والضجر وشعرت أنني حقا في متاهة وكنت أفكر في التخلي عن قراءتها أكثر من مرة (إلا أنني لم أعمد الى هذا العمل مطلقا في حياتي مهما بلغت درجات الملل او السوء ) ..
حسنا وعندما تجازوت ال 100..بدأت أفكاري بالتجمع والترابط وأصبحت أبحث عن خيوط وروابط للقضية وكأنني بطلة من أبطالها (كما هو الحال دائما ) وبِتُ لا استطيع أن أغفل عن
Khaleel Datay
Brilliant. A fantastic story filled with so many twists and plot complexities it keeps you guessing all the way. Sussman turns a murder mystery into a treasure hunt, a fast paced thriller, political commentary and just one enjoyable read. Sussman's passing last year is a great loss to the writing world
Mike Patterson
Absolutely excellent. Great characters to care about. Places to think and dream about. Written so perfectly I was in awe. Truly a pleasure. Now I shall have to read the other three.
Keith
This was a great read. 'The Labyrinth of Osiris' had well crafted and interesting characters incorporated into an intelligent plot. My sympathies go out to his family over his passing.
Florinda
Este livro é mais um bom exemplo de como histórias desconexas (a morte da jornalista Rivka Kleinberg - que investigava tráfico sexual de mulheres em Israel - e o envenenamento de poços de água egípcios) acabam por se revelar uma história única.
É Arieh que agora pede ajuda a Yusuf, o mesmo Yusuf que, entretanto, foi obrigado a mudar de casa, perdeu um filho e que deixou de ter no seu lar um refúgio feliz.
Vemos a sua batalha para se erguer emocionalmente correr paralela ao enredo e vemos que Arieh
Sara Kharroubi
This book is one of my favorites it's so compelling, once you start reading it u can't put it down, I mean I got sooo attached to detective Areih's character his charms , his intelligence and his absolute devotion to his job.
The plot is brilliantly put together to keep us thinking on our feet, I mean put a murder in Jerusalem with and ancient one in Egypt and connect them to a labyrinth in the dessert somehow leading to a big ass corporation and you have a never ending suspense .
Towards the endi
Mário Bessa
Gostei bastante do livro que é muito emocionante e empolgante (li em apenas cinco dias). Foi a primeira obra que li do Paul Sussman. As personagens são bem construídas e profundas. Senti falta de um glossário que existe no fim do livro (versão portuguesa) mas que, distraidamente, só o vi a meio da leitura! É o meu estilo de livro por isso estava como peixe na água e a classificação é claramente influenciada pelo meu gosto pessoal. Um mergulho no médio oriente e sua cultura riquíssima. A história ...more
Robert
Probably best of all Paul Sussman' s books. well weaved story just such shame the last
Audrey
This is the third book now reading the first, really enjoyed this.
Manreet Someshwar
Aug 07, 2012 Manreet Someshwar is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Manreet by: The Financial Times
I am currently reading this book, 15% through - very atmospheric!
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • The City of Shadows
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • The Demon Code (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #2)
  • The Death Relic (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #7)
  • Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)
  • The Tower
  • The Roswell Conspiracy (Tyler Locke, #3)
  • The Mask Of Troy (Jack Howard, #5)
  • The Templar’s Quest (Caedmon Aisquith, #3)
  • Out of Time (J.D. Stanton #3)
  • House of Acerbi (God's Lions, #2)
  • The Blood King Conspiracy (Matt Drake, #2)
  • The Salem Witch Society
  • The Babylon Rite
  • PLAZA: An Archaeological Thriller
  • Havoc (Philip Mercer, #7)
  • Kitty Peck and the Music Hall Murders
He was educated at Merchant Taylors' School and St. John's College, Cambridge, where he won a Joseph Larmor Award and a boxing blue. His novels have been translated into 33 languages and are set mainly in Egypt, where he worked for many years as a field archaeologist, notably with the Amarna Royal Tombs Project in the Valley of the Kings. Among other finds, he unearthed the only items of pharaonic ...more
More about Paul Sussman...

Yusuf Khalifa (3 books)
  • The Lost Army Of Cambyses
  • The Last Secret Of The Temple
The Last Secret Of The Temple The Lost Army Of Cambyses The Hidden Oasis The Final Testimony of Raphael Ignatius Phoenix Death By Spaghetti