Start by marking “Shake Down the Stars” as Want to Read:
Shake Down the Stars

Shake Down the Stars

Romantic saga which follows the fortunes of three beautiful friends as they prepare themselves for the turmoil of World War II.
Published March 1st 1989 by St Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Shake Down the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shake Down the Stars

Beth
Aug 10, 2009 Beth rated it it was amazing
This is the story of three very different girls from a small village in England, and their experiences in WWII. This is the very best of the saga genre. I absolutely loved this book, and can't recommend it enough. It's a very good novel. It does go into the war experience, but it's mostly about the three girls, and their experiences during the war. They all fall in love and marry, but each of them goes through quite difficult periods and personal growth.
Kathleen Resendes
Jan 07, 2011 Kathleen Resendes rated it really liked it
Read others by Donnelly and like the detail she gives her stories. 1939 to 1945 in war torn England tracing the lives of 3 friends as they try to survive the war. Kept me riveted. I felt as if I was the one running for the air raid shelter.
Bernie
Oct 13, 2012 Bernie rated it really liked it
The title of Frances Donnelly's book, "Shake Down the Stars," is one of the best titles I've seen - ever! That's what drew me to this tale of three women from the English village of Musgrave, all at different levels of society. Their lives meet and separate and intertwine throughout World War II, sometimes companionably, sometimes rancorously, and sometimes surpisingly. Each of their career and romantic destinies differs greatly from what they and the reader expected.I read all 642 pages of this ...more
Gerrigray
Jul 19, 2012 Gerrigray rated it really liked it
Read this for Book Club. During World War II old social constrictions and privileges were shaken up. This novel is the story of three young women from the same village but each from a differnet strata of society. They follow their own stars to find new and independent lives in a changing world. Because they are from the same village their destinies are intertwined a way that would not have happened before the war.

Out of print but worth the hunt for a picture of women in England just before and d
Samantha L.
Jul 25, 2013 Samantha L. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
A new favorite. This was recommended since I liked The Shell Seekers and the Cazalet chronicles, and it was right on the money. I really loved the different aspects of living during WWII that each character represented. And, as many times as I've read books set in WWII, this is the first time I remember a scene being set in an air raid shelter. Wonderful read.
Beth
Apr 29, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Totally cheesy WW II romance novel. So of course, I love it.
Follows the lives of three girls from the same English village through the war. I find myself rereading passages when I need a comfort read.
Tetty
Apr 09, 2012 Tetty rated it it was amazing
This is a real favourite book of mine. I first read it many years ago and I've read it several times. The book is about the lives of 4 girls as the war unfolds. The storyline is about the different directions that their lives take during the war and afterwards. I'd highly recommend it.
Rae
Apr 06, 2008 Rae rated it liked it
A romantic saga in which three women are caught up in pre and post WWII England. Each of the women chooses a different course i.e. school, marriage, farming and business. The historical details of London bombings and blackouts in the city are very moving. Fun escapist fiction.
Carissa
Great book. Complex, well-developed characters and plot. Follows three women in their experiences throughout WWII and how they respond to the great impact on their lives.
Ginger Griffith
Aug 10, 2015 Ginger Griffith rated it really liked it
Enjoyed setting London 1939-1945, story of three women, their friends, families and lovers.
Coco
Jan 10, 2014 Coco rated it it was amazing
I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book.

It was so emotional and beautiful, wow. Really worth it.
Denise Lowe
Apr 07, 2008 Denise Lowe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern-lit
Engaging story of women from different classes in pre-WWII England, and the way the war changes their beliefs and attitudes about life, love, class, and propriety.
Elina
Elina rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2015
Judith Teggelaar
Judith Teggelaar rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2010
Linda C
Linda C rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2012
Schaxu
Schaxu rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Ann Durbin
Ann Durbin rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2010
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2015
CLM
CLM rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2009
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2012
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2013
Katherine
Katherine rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2011
Rebecca Carlsen
Rebecca Carlsen rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Jane eckersley
Jane eckersley rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2017
  • Land Girls
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Saplings
  • The Castle on the Hill
  • Homing (Williamsburg, #7)
  • Fires in the Dark
  • Mrs. Tim Carries On
  • Taboo
  • Henrietta's War: News from the Home Front 1939-1942
  • Good Evening, Mrs Craven: The Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes
  • Abandoned and Forgotten: An Orphan Girl's Tale of Survival During World War II
  • Dreaming in Color