The Strix (Bag of Tricks, #1)

The Strix (Bag of Tricks #1)

4.6 of 5 stars 4.60  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A cursed amber amulet unearthed in Pompeii flings Arcona into a past life of witchcraft, bloodshed, revenge, and sexual slavery to the cruel Master of a gladiatorial school. This violent parallel world is populated with “Slayers,” blood-drinking immortals devoted to the gods of war and mayhem.

As a Strix, or malignant witch, Arcona once used sex and blood rituals to create...more
Published July 17th 2012 by Loose Id LLC

Linda
Visiting Salem with her two friends, Arcona didn't want to go into the Silvermoon Scrying Shoppe, but to keep from being teased she did. She was a west coast historical researcher and didn't believe in magic, withes, and supernatural oddities. When witch Casey asked her to pull out a piece of amber from the bag of amber, she pulled out a piece. Since she told her two friends to leave without her that she would return to their hotel after she made her wish and threw the amber into the sea, but as...more
Elizabeth Morgan
If you haven't read this book be warned; this review contains possible spoilers.

Being a fan of mythology and history I was intrigued by the blurb for this book. I personally adore reading about the way the world once was and what different civilisations believed and how they lived. I also very much enjoy seeing what writers do with such knowledge.

For me, The Strix had it all; the gritty truth and violence of the Roman era, magic, sex, the supernatural, reincarnation, and love. From page one you...more
A.R. Von
I really got into this story once I fully understood what was going on with Arcona. There was love, action, sex, magic, history and more within and it’s a read that any paranormal, erotic and romance reader will enjoy to the very end as long as none mind a small scene of F/F and some anal play.

The time frame of the story goes from present to the past frequently, explaining what has happened in the past and what’s happening in the present. Two souls, one that has walked the planet for longer tha...more
Jasmyn
The Strix was something new and different - a creature that I hadn't read about before. An evil witch that creates a race of vampire-like creatures, Arcona was not a very nice person in her past life. Tyr was one of her Upir Likhyi (no clue how that one is pronounced) and is dead set on vengeance. Too bad he falls in love first. Now the two of them must fight for their lives against the other Upir Likhyi that want Arcona dead and see Tyr as just another step in the process.

I loved the flashbacks...more
CaroleDee
Wow, I guess I didn't read the blurb well enough, I honestly thought going into the Strix that I was in for a light and fluffy erotic romance, boy was I wrong. What I got was an epic tale of slavery, witchcraft, betrayal, revenge and ultimately forgiveness. I fell in love with the characters and their plight and can't remember a time when I was rooting more for a happily ever after.

*Be aware that there is plenty of brutality shown in flashbacks, but those scenes are necessary for an understandin...more
Beckey
Review was sent to BTS
Nancy Jones
Nancy Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
dksport03
dksport03 marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Stephanie Parent
Stephanie Parent marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Jennifer Prescott
Jennifer Prescott marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Young
Young marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Gema-lou
Gema-lou marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013
April
April marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Mikaela
Mikaela marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Kristie
Kristie marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Valorie
Valorie marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Lynette
Lynette marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2013
Therese
Therese marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2013
Ollie
Ollie marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2012
Sofia Wren
Sofia Wren marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2012
Sarah added it
Nov 28, 2012
Amber grew up reading sick and twisted murder mysteries. Romance was for little kids and their fairy tales. One day, after her grandmother died and she inherited a boat load of romances, Amber found a new genre to love. Then she discovered erotic romance and found her calling.

In the summer, when not creating sexy, seductive stories, Amber can be found at the ocean or floating around in her pool, w...more
More about Amber Skyze...
Claimed by Dragons (Bag of Tricks, #2) Adrift Gettin' Lucky (Cougar Challenge, #16) Out to Protect Ignited