Start by marking “Four Hour Chef” as Want to Read:
Four Hour Chef

Four Hour Chef

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,676 Ratings  ·  300 Reviews
The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life builds upon Timothy Ferriss's internationally successful "4-hour" series by transforming the way we cook, eat, and--most important--learn. Ferriss, nominated as one of Fast Company's "Most Innovative Business People of 2007" and Forbes magazine's "Names You Need to Know in 2 ...more
Paperback, First, 672 pages
Published November 20th 2012 by Amazon Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Four Hour Chef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Hour Chef

The STREAM TONE by T. GillingMath Geek by Raphael RosenFour Hour Chef by Timothy FerrissReinventing Dell by Heather SimmonsStartup Communities by Brad Feld
Books for web geeks
2nd out of 43 books — 6 voters
The Time Machine by H.G. WellsSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutFear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. ThompsonWhat Makes Sammy Run? by Budd SchulbergDeath with Interruptions by José Saramago
100 Great Books To Read In A Lifetime
52nd out of 69 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Audrey
Jan 02, 2013 Audrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What's up with this guy? I'm the type of person who loves information, loves an arcane tip or shortcut to "success", but this guy is hard to take. Within one volume he purports to teach mastery in cooking, language acquisition, fire building, wilderness survival, shooting, knife skills, and more.
I teach 4 year olds. Occasionally there's a child in the class who does not play well with the other children, preferring to interact briefly, sometimes destructively, with objects. He cannot listen bec
Andrea
Apr 14, 2013 Andrea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Timothy Ferriss is a web entrepreneur and motivational speaker. His previous book is the Four Hour Work Week. I can't speak to the first book, but in the case of this one, "four hours" appears to be a metaphor for a much longer unit of time.

Nearly every recipe in this book is bewildering. I feel like this would be a good cookbook if you wanted to copy someone else's eccentricities -- one of which is needlessly complicating otherwise simple procedures. Each recipe is laid out over 2-3 pages, wit
Filip
Dec 02, 2012 Filip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note: don't let my rating discourage you, this is a great book. I just couldn't get full value out of it because I'm a vegetarian (thus eliminating the hunting/butchering/meat curating bits and most of the recipes) and already know my way around the kitchen.

Hours and dozens of copied notes later, it is certain - Tim Ferriss has done it again.

This book is informative and visually stunning. It's a result of relentless research, experimentation (as always), and countless hours spent with world-cla
Jason Reed
Apparently I'm not smart enough to understand this book. I'm a college educated guy, fairly decent cook, reader of all things chef/food.

People give this book 5 stars, but for what? It's a whole lot of nonsense about a whole lot of other things besides cooking. He does a lot of plugging for his other books he's written while telling us how to reinvent the wheel with lots of menial everyday tasks. And every once in awhile, he talks about cooking.

I don't get it. And with the way he writes the boo
Timothy Kenny
Nov 20, 2012 Timothy Kenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been waiting a long time for this book. I wanted to know, most of all, how much was about cooking, and how much was about learning. Interestingly, it breaks down to about 20% learning, 80% how to cook. 80-120 pages are dedicated to learning, and the rest is about how to learn to cook, with anecdotes, quotes, and stories about learning sprinkled in. That being said, the 20% on learning is very good and Tim has some great learning strategies to add add to your repertoire.

This review is focu
J.F. Penn
Nov 30, 2012 J.F. Penn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm a long-time Tim Ferriss fan and my life has been changed by all the books, so buying this in print and Kindle format was a no-brainer for me. I'm not disappointed! The meta-learning information is an entire book in itself, and for anyone interested in self-improvement it is a must-read. Breaking skills down into component parts, understanding the aspects that are under-appreciated, understanding stakes. These skills can transform something you want to learn into something achievable in a muc ...more
Reynolds
Dec 14, 2012 Reynolds rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ferriss is more of a curator than an author. His last exhibition/book: The 4 Hour Body, was a more successful collection of ideas and theories. The 4 Hour Chef feels more scattered and thrown together. His claim that you can become "world class" (which he arbitrarily defines as top 5 % in the world) at any skill in 6 to 12 months is ridiculous. Ferriss has stated in interviews that he thinks the 10,000 hour rule is totally bogus. The only problem is, it's been backed up time and again in study a ...more
Rachel
Jan 30, 2013 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Far and away the worst cookery book I have ever seen, wrapped up in endless reams of irrelevant, self-aggrandising name-dropping, and rehashed anecdotes from his website and previous books.

Despite his insistence to the contrary, I can't say as I've ever had any trouble following a recipe or finding a basic cookery book assuming I have obscure kitchen gadgets to hand. Never, that is, until his bewildering list of "must have" items nobody in their right mind would expect to find in a domestic kitc
Mike Vardy
Dec 28, 2012 Mike Vardy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Timothy Ferriss’s latest book isn’t so much a guidebook on how to become a chef in 4 hours. It’s more about getting to an expert level at a variety of things in a short period of time using a variety of techniques. From learning to build a fire by thinking in reverse to learning how to cook a gourmet meal in less time than ever before, The 4-Hour Chef has a lot packed into it.

Ferriss is definitely a larger than life figure. I had the opportunity to watch him facilitate his 4-Hour Life creativeLI
Joe
Dec 13, 2012 Joe rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Another great book by Tim. I've now read the entire book and tried 5 recipes so far which were all lovely. I feel that a dinner party is a realistic prospect, this coming from someone who with the exception of breakfast only ever cooked for himself, unless it was a frozen pizza or some equally easy oven/microwave dish.

The sections on language learning are very interesting to me as someone who wants to learn Hindi. I would recommend the book to anyone and if you like Tims other books you will not
Pete Williams
Nov 26, 2012 Pete Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How I Heard About The Book...

Like most people, I knew about this books pending release via Tim (and his blog) ... but it was Ryan Holiday that hooked me up with a pre-release advance copy of the book to check out prior to publication ... so I had something to chat about with TIm when he came on the PreneurCast show.

The Lesson/Argument in Three Sentences...

Essentially the book is about deconstruction and learning, wrapped up in a chef's apron. Tim has done an exceptional job via his blog and fi
Vago Damitio
Some fun info and techniques and a lot of expensive gear and bragging,
December 1, 2012
By Vago Damitio

First of all. I liked the book and I recommend it. It's fun and Tim Ferris shares some really great techniques and information. It took me about a week to read it and during that time I've made about ten of the recipes and they were good. Plus, I learned some great cooking 'tricks' which was what I was hoping to get from the book.

Personally, I would have preferred that the book stuck to that. H
Seth Martin
Nov 13, 2013 Seth Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-hold, nonfiction, food
i have bounced around this book a lot. the "META" and "DOM" sections of this book are worth the 5 star rating alone.

the book is more than a simple cook book it is a skill training system with cooking as the medium to show the reader how it is done. i am way more excited about learning language and speed reading now that i feel there is a way to stop the constant memorization.

that said: if you are looking for a cookbook this does a fantastic job describing every detail you need to find your way
Kris Irvin
Apr 28, 2013 Kris Irvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I was not interested in a huge chunk of this book. I don't particularly care to know how to shoot a deer, and I don't really wanna forage in the wild or make dinner in a hotel sink. And chemistry gives me indigestion. So I skimmed at least 50% of the book.

The other half was pretty interesting. I liked the beginning, but I thought it was a little info-dense. Someone with ADHD (like me) might get confused and well, I really want to recreate Ferriss's "learn a language in 8 hours" thing but I don'
Beth
I just skimmed this book and read the sections that interested me - mostly recipes. This is the 3rd book by Ferriss - following the 4-Hour Workweek and 4-Hour Body. I loved his first book (about finding ways to hack your worklife to be more efficient using the 80/20 rule, etc.). The 4-Hour Body was different - all about Ferriss trying various things to improve his health following sometimes yet unproven theories. That book talked a lot about adopting a slow-carb diet. In the 4-Hour Chef he conti ...more
DeAnna Knippling
A fun, light read for a, I don't know, ten-pound book.

This book isn't going to make you a zen master or anything. But it's thought-provoking, and makes use of the best information on any given subject. You're not reading about "how to cook" as much as you're reading "the story of how I cut through a bunch of b.s. and learned that this is a pretty reliable way for most people to learn how to cook."

How do you do that? Ask the experts, basically, the right experts, not the "naturals" but the ones w
Dan
Apr 26, 2013 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bizarre, disjointed, full of the strangest mix of good ideas and complete nonsense, well thought out plans and odd misinformation. It was like he just connected his word processing program to his brain and let it spew and didn't worry about whether it made sense, was in any particular order, or had anything to do with the ostensible topic of the book. As to becoming a "four hour chef" he admits upfront that that's not going to happen, figures on a longer stretch, claims he's going to show you ho ...more
Miriam
Mar 11, 2013 Miriam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think you have to have ADHD in order to follow this book. I wouldn't recommend it to a novice cook or an experienced chef. None of the recipes looked appetizing. Some of the hints, like how to remove the skin from garlic and how to cut and onion were well done with pictures for each step.

I received this as a goodreads first-reads giveaway. If I had seen this in a bookstore, I wouldn't have bought it.
Jenalyn
Jan 20, 2013 Jenalyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed, not read. Over 600 pages of WAY too much information that has absolutely nothing to do with cooking. The author definitely seems full of himself.
Fiona
In a lot of ways, this book is a gold mine. In other ways, it's cocky as hell. Part pep talk, part treatise on meta-learning, part cook book, part bragging. I keep coming back to bits and thinking they're great, and next year I fully intend to test the "how fast can you learn a language enough to hold a decent conversation?" bit - or maybe I'll have a go at learning to play chess in a way that isn't completely slapdash.

The book is massive - 600 big, colourful pages - and split into five sections
Feb 08, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
This was a very odd book and while it covered quite a wide range of material, it really didn't cover any of it very well. I was interested in his supposed method of being able to become "world class" at anything in just a few months, but he didn't cover it in a manner that most people could actually replicate...unless they happen to also have huge amounts of cash, free time and an ADHD diagnosis.

I was most interested in the chef parts as I really enjoy cooking but am definitely an amateur and am
Amy
Mar 04, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sentient beings
Shelves: food, how-to
I have learned that whenever Tim Ferriss swoops in on his flying thingamajig, it's best to climb aboard, because we're in for a wild, unpredictable, and unforgettable ride. This book is thus far the pinnacle!

Some of the more negative reviews seem to hinge on the fact that this is not, in the purest sense, a cookbook. He goes over many recipes and techniques, but this is a book about learning, using the medium of cooking and food preparation as the means to that end. I love the very Tim reassuran
Serge Pierro
Having read Ferriss's previous work, "The 4 Hour Body", I was looking forward to seeing what he had in mind for "The 4 Hour Chef". Unfortunately this tome didn't measure up to the excellence of the other one. For one thing, he uses examples from his previous book. Why the redundancy?

Having a deep interest in the culinary arts, I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but this book is at best geared to the complete novice. Not bad info, it's just that it is available elsewhere. However there are some in
Hannah
Jan 05, 2013 Hannah is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in the midst of the second chapter of this book, titled DOM. Although I consider myself 'Intermediate' as a cook and chef (and the book is geared towards absolute Beginners who fear the kitchen), I've cooked TWO dishes and absolutely loved the results. It has definitely lit fire under my feet to keep me reading the roughly 650 pages of Rule-at-Life motivational anecdotes that normally might not grab my attention for pleasure reading.

I enjoy the humor of Timothy Ferriss, and if all he says a
Bryan Smith
Like other people have written here in the comments, don't let the fact that I gave it 3/5 stars discourage you from reading the book, it's entertaining and useful. However I expected more from Tim and think he could have done better. I think he lost be when he was going if on his "manly men" detours but I understand that he wanted to make a book for people that don't see themselves as ever being comfortable in the kitchen.

I read it, underlined what was useful for me and don't need to be upset
Brian
Jan 26, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book inspired me to start cooking. I have been cooking every Monday for all my friends for several months now. Monday has become one of my favorite days of the week, when I share food and drink with many loved ones. It's also been really stressful, but I find it well worth the rewards of spending quality time with great people.

The book itself is often bizarre and goes off-topic constantly. The recipes often don't work, and leave me wondering if he's ever tried them himself. Tim is insanely
Biblioworm
Автор явно одаренный, но с большими "странностями".
Книгу он написал в 2012, когда ему было уже 35, а такое ощущение, что читаешь путанные мысли одаренного подростка, который не состоянии концентрироваться на одной теме, и с энтузиазмом везде тыкается любопытным носом.

Я приветствую, когда человек до конца жизни сохраняет любопытство и энтузиазм, это очень здорово.
Работая в IT-компаниях, и сам являясь очень замкнутым человеком, я давно привык, что одаренность всегда неизбежно соседствует со "стран
Filip Ligmajer
page 39 | location 594-598 | Added on Sunday, 13 July 2014 15:59:31

It brought to light the most important lesson of language learning: what you study is more important than how you study. Students are subordinate to materials, much like novice cooks are subordinate to recipes. If you select the wrong material, the wrong textbook, the wrong group of words, it doesn’t matter how much (or how well) you study. It doesn’t matter how good your teacher is. One must find the highest-frequency material.
Anna
Mind. Blown. This is the first "4-Hour" book that I've read, but definitely not the last!

Timothy Ferriss said that it was a book not so much about cooking, but what you learn *through* cooking. And, of course, he's right. :)

I already knew how to cook before picking up this book, I'd taken a few culinary classes, and even took a few culinary school tours to see if I truly wanted to become a professional chef. I didn't.

So my takeaways from the culinary parts of this book were in the joy and passio
Manintheboat
Jul 29, 2013 Manintheboat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think I read a New Yorker article about this dudebro? Yeah. Repellent then, time has not been kind.
This book is marginally about cooking, but only if you eat meat and reject carbs and can kickbox. My foot is broken, and I'm hypoglycemic, and my husband eats little meat. I think my husband can kickbox, but his main source of fuel is cantaloup, and this book is anti-cantaloup.
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine books 2 13 Mar 05, 2015 05:41AM
  • The First 20 Hours: How to Learn Anything...Fast
  • Foodist: Using Real Food and Real Science to Lose Weight Without Dieting
  • Modernist Cuisine at Home
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom for Work & Life from 50 Landmark Books
  • The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen
  • Think Like a Chef
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends: New Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show
  • Transcend: Nine Steps to Living Well Forever
  • Body by God: The Owner's Manual for Maximized Living
  • The Casserole Queens Cookbook: Put Some Lovin' in Your Oven with 100 Easy One-Dish Recipes
  • The Runner's World Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose Weight, Run Better, and Race Faster
  • Fresh Happy Tasty: An Adventure in 100 Recipes
  • Perfect Health Diet: Regain Health and Lose Weight by Eating the Way You Were Meant to Eat
  • Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas
Tim Ferriss is author of three #1 NYT/WSJ bestsellers: The 4-Hour Workweek, The 4-Hour Body, and The 4-Hour Chef. He is also a start-up advisor specializing in positioning, PR, and marketing (Uber, Evernote, etc.). When not damaging his body with abusive sports, he enjoys chocolate, bear claws, and Japanese animation.
More about Timothy Ferriss...

“It is possible to become world-class, enter the top 5% of performers in the world, in almost any subject within 6-12 months, or even 6-12 weeks.” 6 likes
“Age doesn't matter: an open mind does.” 6 likes