Start by marking “The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  202,540 ratings  ·  20,491 reviews
A brilliant debut mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide. After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

Then John
Published April 30th 2013 by Mulholland Books (first published April 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Cuckoo's Calling, please sign up.

Madonna Valentine A lot of writers use a different name for different book sub-genres. Ruth Rendell writes under Barbara Vine when she is writing one of her…moreA lot of writers use a different name for different book sub-genres. Ruth Rendell writes under Barbara Vine when she is writing one of her "psychological" novels. It is so the reader knows what kind of novel they can expect. Barbara Vine novels are different in style to Ruth Rendell novels. (less)
Marisa I've just listened to the part where Lucy tells Strike he should have married Tracey, so you're right. I also remember earlier when Strike was talking…moreI've just listened to the part where Lucy tells Strike he should have married Tracey, so you're right. I also remember earlier when Strike was talking about a picture (I think?) of some people from the army and Tracey was in the picture. He made a comment about how Tracey had married a mutual friend and had at least one kid now.(less)

Emily May
Feb 3rd 2014 - Extra things you should know:
1) This is a negative review. If you are looking for reviews that confirm what you are already certain of (that JKR can do no wrong) here are some examples of positive reviews for you - 1, 2, 3.
2) I used some Mary Poppins gifs to make my point in this review. It seemed funny at the time. If you find MP gifs stupid/annoying/beneath you, then please feel free to go to the reviews I linked before.
3) I will no longer reply to comments saying I am stupid
Jason
UPDATE 2: This is my final review of the book. Most of what I included in my preemptive thoughts is here, so you don't have to read this whole... thing.

Potential television series title #21: LONDON STRIKE

Alright, let’s address the hippogriff in the room: finding out that J.K. Rowling published a book under a pseudonym is something that I had I expected might happen post-Potter (and, embarrassingly, searched for), but when the question was brought up as to whether or not she'd write under one,
Jane Stewart
Dull & tedious. I was frustrated with the style of writing. There’s no action. It’s all conversation. I wanted it to be over.

COURTROOM STYLE CONVERSATIONS - TELLING NOT SHOWING:
Private eye Strike is investigating a death. Throughout the book Strike has long conversations with many different characters. It felt like a courtroom, asking witnesses 30 or more questions one right after the other. Many of these were discussions about what “might have happened. For example “I don’t think he would h
Nataliya
“He had never been able to understand the assumption of intimacy fans felt with those they had never met.”
I'll venture a guess that J.K.Rowling is not a stranger to this feeling. Propelled to household-name fame for her lovely gift of imagination, she gets to experience the uglier side of fans' adoration - the side that comes with suffocating hard-to-meet expectations and stifling atmosphere of demanding hype. Is it any wonder she'd look for a respite in releasing a book under a pseudonym?

And
Susan
This is a wonderfully entertaining new crime debut, which although it contains nothing amazingly original, works really well. Firstly, there is the main character, Cormoran Strike - a wounded war veteran, with a troubled past, damaged love life and financial woes, which see him sleeping in his office when we first meet him. Strike has left the army, which provided him with the structure and home life his mother never could, and set up as a Private Detective. The only problem is, a lack of paying ...more
Namratha
A first-time author who goes by the unassuming name of Robert Galbraith comes out with a mystery novel called The Cuckoo’s Calling . The book receives favourable reviews and is wholeheartedly accepted by the fraction of the populace that reads it.

And then (and this I borrow from reliable old Wikipedia), the Sunday Times scratches it’s stubbly chin and wonders how a first-time author with a background in the army and the civilian security industry, could write such an assured debut novel.

So, af
Raeleen Lemay
SOLID.

It was a bit too long for my taste (I feel like it could have had a little less dialogue and such), but I really liked the characters! Strike and Robin all day.
Alejandro
I like detective novels and I am a fan of J.K. Rowling, so when I found out that this "Robert Galbraith" was a pseudonym of Rowling, I thought that it was the perfect combination of elements that I have to read the book as soon as possible.

I have to admit that in good amount of the book I wasn't enjoying it so much. I was feeling it too slow, and nothing exciting was happening, since Cormoran Strike, the detective, wasn't doing much just asking questions to each witness and the events was gettin
Richard Denney
Dec 04, 2013 Richard Denney marked it as to-read
Did J.K Rowling out herself that she was the author of this book using a pen name or did someone else do it? I'm pretty sure she would have told the world if she WANTED people to know she wrote this, obviously she wanted the old feeling of people not knowing who the author is and now I feel bad for her. I'll read this eventually but I'm not shitting my undies looking for a copy.

UPDATE:

yup, she didn't want her secret out yet:

"I had hoped to keep this secret a little longer," JKR said, "because be
Mohammed Arabey
رواية ستــأســرك من مشهد البداية
بالنسبة لي فقد أعادت ذكري حادث شبه مماثل احزنني جدا والكثير من محبي السينما المصريه..حادث مقتل السندريللا
حيث تبدأ الاحداث في لندن بوفاة نجمه عروض ازياء"موديل" شهيرة أثر سقوطها من شرفة منزلها في الساعات الاولي من صباح شتاء لندن القارص بأحد الأحياء الراقية
يتزاحم المصورون علي جثتها لتصويرها لأخر مرة، كما تزاحموا عليها دائما بحياتها

جارتها تؤكد إنها سمعت صوت احد ما يتشاجر معها ثم رأتها تسقط..-وتكافأ جارتها بصورة صغيرة لها علي استحياء مع صورة النجمة بكل الصحف والمجلات
Jane Walker
I'm a bit puzzled by the rave reviews. It's okay, but a fairly run-of-the-mill detective story. A private eye with a silly name solves a murder mystery, and there is a long exposition at the end of the how and why. The characters are quite well drawn, and the writing is competent, but I wouldn't seek out any further books with the same star.

I didn't know, when I reviewed this, that it was written by J K Rowling! But it doesn't change my view.
Mohammed Arabey
It'll Hunt you from the very early beginning...
description

A famous model star fall off the balcony to her tragic death..the paparazzi gather around her body just as they did when she was alive..
description
Her neighbor assert that she heard her arguing and shouting with a man "The Killer" right before seeing her fall.
The police declare that she have lied ,the DNA prove there was no stranger there..All the evidence and investigation declare she was alone.
The result was as the police guess it was clear from the beginni
Jon
Check out Scott Reads It! for reviews, giveaways, & more!

When it was revealed that J.K. Rowling had written a novel under the pseudonym, Robert Galbraith; I knew I had to read it. Rowling filled my childhood with magic, intrigue, and beauty with her Harry Potter series so I was eager to read her sophomore adult novel. It angers me how Rowling was betrayed by a friend who had revealed that she was the genius behind The Cuckoo's Calling. Every cloud does have it's silver lining and now, mi
Amanda
16 Jul' 2013

Full confession:
Pfft yeah, I totally did grab this after I heard it was written by JK Rowling?

Mostly because I hadn't even heard of this book prior to the news. But the blurb itself makes it sound like my type of novel on a cold, rainy day, regardless of the author.

Look, I'd like to pretend as if I were one of those people who wouldn't give a limp banana that Rowling wrote this book. I'd love to have the same level of self-restraint to cringe my nose in disgust and walk away f
Sharon
For me 5 stars, I stumbled on this by accident and glad I did..

Strike ia a Cornish ex-military policemen, based in London, at a very low point in his life, Strike is sinking fast. I loved his clever, sharp stubborn character, especially the prickly ebb and flow relationship with his quick witted sidekick secretary Robin.
The other plus for me was the twisty, story line, I did not guess who did it at all! was rather shocked in the end but in a good way, having just read 2 out of 3 of the Larson Mi
Gail
Two words for this: simply stunning.

Cormoran Strike is my new hero. What an absolutely fantastic character Robert Galbraith has created. I just love everything about him, his size, his lovely caring attitude and his fearless quest to uncover the truth of the apparent suicide of Lula Landry, supermodel.

Coromoran is hired by Lula's adoptive brother, John Bristow, to investigate her death as he doesn't believe she committed suicide, albeit the Police do and have ruled it so. There is also the very
Robin (Bridge Four)
After reading The Casual Vacancy I had decided that I probably wouldn’t read any of her adult fiction books. I didn’t expect it to be like Harry Potter but I really wasn’t expecting it to be more of a character study and it was really bleak. I was depressed after reading it. I mention this because I didn’t have very high hopes going into The Cuckoo’s Calling and therefore I am pleasantly surprised.

This is a pretty straight up who-dun-it. There isn’t a lot of action or anything like that it is an
Karen
Into every crime fiction reader's life something like THE CUCKOO'S CALLING should sneak. Quietly delivered to the front door, unheralded (apart from a blurb comment from Val McDermid that should make you sit up and pay attention), decorated with a nicely atmospheric cover, with a blurb that doesn't quite telegraph exactly what is about to happen.

But you know it when it is happening. A feeling that this is exactly the sort of book that you've been looking for. It's the sort of book that makes you
Michael
I root for this author to make a successful genre break from fantasy to mystery. The plot is clever and the characters wonderfully drawn, but the slow build-up and a bit of overreaching in the prose kept my overall pleasure level at about average. I am eager to see this novel grow as a series and have confidence it will do so.

It seems fitting that just as a favored literary mystery writer, Kate Atkinson, moves into fantasy, this favored fantasy writer makes an excursion toward literary mystery.
Kat O'Keeffe
Fantastic writing, wonderful characters, and a very clever & compelling mystery! Video review to come in the next few days! :)
Harini
The moment I came to know that this book was written by JK Rowling my reaction was something close to –

description

Frankly, would I have picked this novel up if I hadn’t learnt that this was written by JK Rowling? I don’t know. The cover isn’t eye catching and the blurb sounds like run in the mill.

On a cold night famous super model Lula Landry plunges to her death. After initial speculations of murder, the police rule the death as a suicide. But Lula’s brother, John Bristow refuses to accept that his sister
D.G.
**4.5 stars**

The Cuckoo’s Calling is an excellent mystery with intense characters, beautiful imagery and an intricate plot that expertly melds the consequences of fame, psychological issues and questions of race. Before you continue reading, I’ll point out that this is a MYSTERY. If you don’t like the genre, you will probably not like it even if you are a great fan of Harry Potter. As the description points out, this is a mystery in the classic vein so there are no serial killers. Most of the bo
Robert
This ain’t Harry Potter. For those of you who may have such expectations looming in the back of your mind, even as you recognize that J.K. Rowling wrote it under a pseudonym, and that it’s a mystery, and that it involves a war veteran PI, and that there are no wizards or classrooms or dragons or Quidditch matches or He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named…yeah, you have to set those expectations aside. Otherwise, your disappointment level will spike off the charts, and you’ll toss your Kindle or hardcover edit ...more
Carmen
May 29, 2015 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Carmen by: Library
This book was amazing.

I say that without any stars in my eyes regarding J.K. Rowling. I read Harry Potter, yes, but only once - years ago when it came out. I enjoyed it, but I certainly was no fangirl. This is for the best, because I am judging this book on its own merit.

The characters are amazing. Of course the reader ends up loving the protagonists: Cormoran Strike and Robin Ellacott, but Rowling's talent also shines through strongly in all her supporting and side characters. She did an amazin
Mith
I'm going to be honest here - I hadn't even heard of this book until the Internet went crazy over the reveal that Jo wrote it.

Two things -
a) Jo wrote this.
b) It's a whodunit involving a private eye.
So, naturally, I simply HAD to read it.

Somehow, branching out (again) and writing a crime-mystery novel seems natural for Jo (because, come on, who saw that Peter Pettigrew plot twist in PoA coming, amirite?). Not surprisingly, she manages to pull it off with panache. For those of you who have read T
Ferdy
3.5 stars - Spoilers

Even though I didn't have high expectation for The Cuckoo's Calling, I was still excited to read it. I knew it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as Harry Potter but I wanted to give it a chance anyway. Thankfully, I did (mostly) enjoy it, I only had a few issues with it.

-I wasn't that hooked on the mystery itself, it was kind of predictable and cliched. It didn't help that it was centered on the rich and famous. There's nothing really endearing about rich people and their pro
Jessica
Dear J. K. Rowling,

If you want to continue to write Cormoran Strike mysteries under the name Robert Galbraith, you have my blessing. I will refer to you strictly as Robert, or Mr. Galbraith, if you prefer. I will send you cookies. And my firstborn. I never thought I could love a detective as much as I love Hamish MacBeth. I was wrong, and I'm sorry. I love Cormoran Strike with all my heart and soul. I am shipping him and Robin so hard right now. SO HARD.

Please write more adventures for Cormoran.
Will M.
I'm one of the millions who read Harry Potter, and loved it. I'm not one of those who bought this novel and expected a Harry Potter-like theme. The synopsis is very clear that this is going to be a crime novel, so don't expect something else. J. K. Rowling even hid her identity just so that people would read this and give their honest opinion of the novel. I'm going to do that right now.

The Cuckoo's Calling is just like any other crime novel. With its main character in a financial crisis, and
Lynne King
Titles of books always continue to fascinate me and I soon found out what the “cuckoo” referred to in this book but still it’s actually quite a tantalizing title and what better than to add two poems here that I found in a little gift book of mine entitled “Seasons in the Meadow” by Karen Sullivan (a pity that it’s not on GRs as it’s a gem with its “appealing collection of verse, prose, pictures and snippets of country wisdom celebrating changing seasons in the countryside – deep in the heart of ...more
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
This novel begins slowly. I actually almost put it down but then I thought it's JK Rowling-give it a chance.
Cormoran Strike is a down on his luck private detective. He has a famous father who he has no contact with, his live in girlfriend and he split up, he is living in his office, no money, one leg..the list goes on. He doesn't play the pity party though. It's just statements of life. He actually doesn't like people finding out those facts.
He takes on a client who believes that his supermode
  • A Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway #5)
  • Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5 )
  • W is for Wasted (Kinsey Millhone, #23)
  • I Hear the Sirens in the Street (Detective Sean Duffy, #2)
  • Mr. Kiss and Tell (Veronica Mars #2)
  • Tamarack County (Cork O'Connor, #13)
  • Flaskepost fra P (Afdeling Q, #3)
  • Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs #2)
  • Seven for a Secret (Timothy Wilde Mysteries, #2)
  • Beastly Things (Commissario Brunetti, #21)
  • The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2)
  • Death Without Company (Walt Longmire, #2)
  • Out of the Deep I Cry (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #3)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Broadchurch
  • The Honey Guide (Mollel, #1)
  • Dead Scared (Lacey Flint, #2)
  • The Summer of Dead Toys (Inspector Salgado #1)
This is a pseudonym for J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series and The Casual Vacancy.

NOTE: There is more than one author with this name on Goodreads.
Robert Galbraith - Marine Biologist

Rowling was born to Peter James Rowling, a Rolls-Royce aircraft engineer, and Anne Rowling (née Volant), on 31 July 1965 in Yate, Gloucestershire, England, 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Bristol. Her
More about Robert Galbraith...

Cormoran Strike (3 books)
  • The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2)
  • Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3)
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) The Silkworm: Two-Chapter Extract Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3)

“How could the death of someone you had never met affect you so?” 217 likes
“The dead could only speak through the mouths of those left behind, and through the signs they left scattered behind them.” 147 likes