Kennedy's Last Days: The Assassination That Defined a Generation

Kennedy's Last Days: The Assassination That Defined a Generation

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  51 reviews
On a sunny day in Dallas, Texas, at the end of a campaign trip, President John Fitzgerald Kennedy is assassinated by an angry, lonely drifter named Lee Harvey Oswald. The former Marine Corps sharpshooter escapes briefly, but is hunted down, captured, and then shot dead while in police custody.

Kennedy's Last Days is a gripping account of the events leading up to the most no...more
Published June 11th 2013 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Mark
I don't agree with much of what O'Reilly has to say, but I have to admit that he writes a thorough, engaging book. This is a younger readers' companion to his adult bestseller, and a title that should be in every school library. Very comprehensive and straight-forward, with excellent research and resources.
Claire
A good summary of "Killing Kennedy". Adapted for young adults, or adults like me that want to read the book but are short on time!
Keeganw
The authors main idea in this book is to inform people around the world about who JFK really was. The setting in this book varied from the battle field to dinner with his family. This book is more of a book about facts about JFK and his assassin which means it does not have a perspective of a person. This entire book takes you through most of president JFK's life. It also takes you through the life of Lee Harvey Oswald, Kennedy's assassin. This book all lead up to the assassination and what happ...more
Kimberly
It’s 1961. On TV is a talking horse named Mr. Ed. For 50 cents, you could go to the movies and see Disney’s newest movie, 101 Dalmations. Fruit Loops cereal was new, and James and the Giant Peach was a best-selling book. The Blackhawks beat the Red Wings to win the Stanley Cup. And a candy bar costs 5 cents.
On January 20, 1961, the country witnessed his inauguration as our 35th President. And less than 3 years later, they would witness his assassination.
But what happened during the 2 ½ years he...more
Richie Partington
Richie's Picks: KENNEDY'S LAST DAYS: THE ASSASSINATION THAT DEFINED A GENERATION by Bill O'Reilly, Henry Holt, June 2013, 336p., ISBN: 978-0-8050-9802-0

"And the night comes again to the circle studded sky
The stars settle slowly, in loneliness they lie
'Till the universe explodes as a falling star is raised
Planets are paralyzed, the mountains are amazed
But they all glow brighter from the brilliance of the blaze
With the speed of insanity, then he dies."
-- Phil Ochs, "The Crucifixion" (1965)

As we c...more
Gerald Kinro
I read the author’s “Killing Kennedy” before this one, and therefore cannot give this a higher rating. Much of the prose used in this version is the same, however. This book is a more condensed version of the Kennedy assassination. He gives background information on what made Kennedy so popular and then went into the events that led to that fatal November day. This one is more like a large “Life Magazine” article with many wonderful pictures. The detail is not as great as in “Killing Kennedy.” O...more
Steve Howes
I probably would have given this book a somewhat higher rating had I not already read the author's previous book, "Killing Kennedy" which I thought was pretty good. This book is a "Reader's Digest' version of the first one and if you have read it, I wouldn't bother with this one. However, if, like me, you are intrigued with the Kennedy Assassination and lived through it, this book might be a good way to refresh your memory; especially since this year is the 50th anniversary. On the other hand, t...more
Red
It was interesting to hear about Kennedy's brave military service. I had assumed he & his family all rode rich Daddy Joe's coattails. I now understand Kennedy's connections to the Boston mob. However fellow Catholic O'Reilly shows Kennedy in an ultra positive light being the 1st Catholic to be elected as the U.S. President.
O'Reilly fails to explain that with Kennedy's back injury and constant excruciating pain how did he manage to entertain all of his girlfriends at the Whitehouse while Jack...more
Michelle Neuwirth Gray
I really enjoyed reading this book. It had a nice parallel between what JFK and Oswald were doing during the same time frame and then leading up to the assassination. I also liked all the photos that were included in this book.
Boyd Dart
A really good book! Informative yet easy to read with lots of great photographs and other visuals. The book really explores Lee Harvey Oswald and the assassination of JFK. I felt like I learned a lot in an entertaining way.
Lauren
I actually enjoyed this book quite a bit. With all the photos and illustrations it ends up being a very quick read. It's adapted from Bill O’Reilly’s Killing Kennedy. I enjoyed O'Reilly's Killing Lincoln so when I saw this on sale at Costco, I grabbed it. Despite all that's been written about the Kennedy assassination, I still learned new details about both Kennedy and Lee Harvey Oswald. I also appreciated that it stuck to facts and didn't go down the conspiracy road for which, quite frankly, I'...more
Cherie Reeves
I don't necessarily agree follow Bill O'Reily, but I certainly enjoy his books. This one does not disappoint. Story leading up to Kennedy's last days,
Heidi
This adaptation of O'Reilly's "Killing Kennedy" is meant for young people and as such it covers the events leading up to the day our 35th president was assasinated with adequate depth to satisfy any teen inquiry. From the background on the military exploits of both Lee Havey Oswald and John F. Kennedy to the failed invasion of Cuba at the Bay of Pigs and the aftermath of the death of JFK, this book is full of tidbits that will be previously unknown to many readers. I would've liked to have seen...more
Kristi Jo
This book was very descriptive. It is na good book to read if you like history. I LOOOOOOOVVEE HISTORY AND JFK
Linda Wells
Kennedy's Last Days is a well-written book that describes President John Kennedy'srise to the presidency,the years of his presidency and events leading up to his assasination. The story of his bravery as a PT boat captain in World War II is included as well. This unbiased account of our youngest president allows the reader to see the man inside the political office and a look at his private life as well.
From his bravery in WWII to facing the Cuban missile crisis, he served with distinction and g...more
EParkinson
I absolutely loved this book. I cannot express enough how much emotion it invoked from me. I kept wondering "What if" throughout the book trying to figure out how our country would be different if JFK had lived. I cried quite a bit too, especially thinking about Jackie Kennedy and her children after the loss of her husband. Although I was not born yet when JFK was president, I wish I could go back in time and experience the "Camelot" years. The use of images and pictures throughout the book only...more
Pam
After reading Swanson's book on the same topic (for young adults) I found that I liked Swanson's book better though both books offer some different information. This starts out a little slow and dry but picks up rather quickly. O'Reilly does help one understand the anguish Kennedy felt over the Bay of Pigs and the Civil Rights Movement. The assassination receives a good amount of attention and offers the horrific feelings the family must have felt. I was not crazy about the info on the author at...more
James
I enjoyed the book....quick read.

Was actually looking to read the book that this was adapted from -- Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly, but the pictures and other pieces of media in this version were a nice addition.

What I found most interesting were some of the background details on Oswald. That he had a wife and children was something I never expected, and his motivations as laid out in the book were interesting to learn.
Heather
Overall, I thought this book was well done. It was engaging and I when I finished it, I felt I had learned something - which is what I'm looking for on a nonfiction book. I had three minor issues with the book though. Personally, I didn't care for the present tense in much of the writing. I found the rather many afterwards a bit distracting and I was mildly disappointed that while the author alluded to the conspiracy theories that still dour round the shooting, he did not a address them head on....more
Michelle
Good summary of killing Kennedy. A little bit of new info also.
Holly Procida
A super common topic for people of my parents' generation is "Where were you when Kennedy got shot?" I can relate to the World Trade Center Crisis as a similar "World Changing Event." This book gives fascinating backstory on his killer as well as valuable insight into the actions and reactions of important people immediately following the assassination. I was able to preview the "Newseum" display in Washington DC this spring. The Kennedy family is so elegant and tragic.
Timothy Clark
I just read a amazing book.Kennedy's last days by Bill O'Reilly.It starts out with JFK crashing a plane. Then he get's into politics. I like that they give a little bit a his day in the oval office. I love that they told us what he did in the morning. I didn't like that it was slow at the beginning. One of the strength is that it had a lot of information.

If you like informational books you will love this book. Or if you something about the presidents.
Kristi Bell
I really liked this young adult version of the adult version of "Killing Kennedy" by the same author. This book had lots of illustrations and was easy to read. I think Brett would even like this book although some things would be a little over his head. Some people may think that it is redundant to read both books, but I love reading about JFK (I did my term paper on his assassination) and I read it very quickly.
Mark Adamo
This book made me more knowledgeable about one our most famous presidents, but it was too factual and didn't suck me in as I had hoped. There was no real plot. The book was mostly "First he did this, then this happened...," but I did like finding out how the whole assassination went down. This was a very quick read because there were so many pictures (which helped with the facts) and the words were fairly large on the page.
Kaitlyn
I thought Kennedy's Last Days was a good book because it gave me information that I never knew before and it had a lot of pictures of the time so I can visualize it. The only catch is that it is rather confusing. Enjoy^^
Jared
some great photos. Adorable photo of JFK Jr. when he was three. Love the two part book idea.
Loretta
Nothing new here. I read "Killing Lincoln" and really liked it. This one didn't tell me anything new. I am glad I got the book with the additional pictures because I enjoyed them.
Melissa
Really interesting, quick reading with great pictures. However, although seeming factual, I have to wonder if the parts about the assassination were conjecture in some places. It was kind of one-sided, presenting things as absolute fact, when all of the questions were never truly resolved.
Barbara
I'm not a huge nonfiction fan, but this book was great! It's so well-written - you feel like you were there. It inspired me to read other things about Kennedy and explained some things in history that I had heard of but didn't really know about.
  • Hand in Hand: Ten Black Men Who Changed America
  • Becoming Ben Franklin: How a Candle-Maker's Son Helped Light the Flame of Liberty
  • "The President Has Been Shot!": The Assassination of John F. Kennedy
  • Searching for Sarah Rector: The Richest Black Girl in America
  • Rather Outspoken: My Life in the News
  • Eruption!: Volcanoes and the Science of Saving Lives
  • Courage Has No Color: The True Story of the Triple Nickles, America's First Black Paratroopers
  • Imprisoned: The Betrayal of Japanese Americans during World War II
  • The Book of Blood: From Legends and Leeches to Vampires and Veins
  • After Camelot: A Personal History of the Kennedy Family--1968 to the Present
  • Jump Cut (Seven, #3)
  • The Giant and How He Humbugged America
  • The War within These Walls
  • The Finest Hours: The True Story of the U.S. Coast Guard's Most Daring Sea Rescue
  • Lincoln's Grave Robbers
  • Listening In: The Secret White House Recordings of John F. Kennedy
  • The Nazi Hunters: How a Team of Spies and Survivors Captured the World's Most Notorious Nazi
  • The Kennedy Men: 1901-1963
Bill O'Reilly is an American television/radio host, author, syndicated columnist, and political commentator. He is the host of the cable news program The O'Reilly Factor. Prior to hosting The O'Reilly Factor, he served as anchor of the entertainment program, Inside Edition.

O'Reilly also hosts The Radio Factor, a radio program syndicated by Westwood One, and he has written seven books.

More about Bill O'Reilly...
Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot Killing Jesus: A History A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity Culture Warrior