Kitty in the Underworld (Kitty Norville, #12)

Kitty in the Underworld (Kitty Norville #12)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  1,540 ratings  ·  186 reviews
As Denver adjusts to a new master vampire, Kitty gets word of an intruder in the Denver werewolf pack’s territory, and she investigates the challenge to her authority. She follows the scent of the lycanthrope through the mountains where she is lured into a trap, tranquilized, and captured. When she wakes up, she finds herself in a defunct silver mine: the perfect cage for...more
Mass Market Paperback, 305 pages
Published July 30th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Kitty in the Underworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitty in the Underworld

Cstillsquare
I've hung on with this series for a while now, but this one is it for me.

Kitty in the Underworld is boring. Seriously, seriously, boring. A solid third of the book has no dialogue (followed by inane dialogue with crazy people), and Kitty's inner thoughts on Regina Luporum are not enough to sustain my interest. To huge detriment, her trusty cadre of sidekicks aren't in 98% of the book. Ben, when he does appear, is still his awesome lawyerly husband self. Cormac is still Cormelia. Plot-wise, almos...more
Spiderorchid
This series needs to end or to shift focus.

I still liked this book, it's not bad. But in comparison to the earlier novels, it's boring.

In my opinion, there are two problems:
1) The story arc about the Long Game has been going on for a long time (this is vol. 12) and really needs to be resolved.
2) The main character, Kitty, is no longer interesting. Don't get me wrong, she's a good character, but there is no suspense. She's developed as a person, her career is as good as it can be, she's in a stab...more
DMS
Aug 07, 2013 DMS rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Zeenat
Summary: Dux Bellarum, Roman, has hurt a friend, and Kitty is worried about what they can do to stop them. When there are unknown weres in her and Ben's territory, Kitty goes to check it out. She is kidnapped, but can't stay angry for long because they know how to stop Roman. Will they succeed?

Review: I am a champion for the Kitty books. I think Carrie Vaughn is a superb writer. But this book was just a big letdown.

I like her characters. Kitty continues to grow and in this book she starts to see...more
Yodamom
It all started with a lion, a were, a witch and an ancient vampire.

Kitty gets herself were napped and discovers her captures are a rag tag group of delusional cultists. Or are they ? They drug her, cage her, treat her like a wild creature keeping her away from her pack and her life. She only wants to run. Stories keep her interested. The stories they share are muddled, but perhaps hold some hope ? Does she risk it all or does she run while the running is good?

I really enjoyed this edition to the...more
Jeff
For the very reasons that I loved the last book in this series, I left this book with a feeling of 'meh'.

Many of these urban fantasy series have a big overarching story line and a big bad that must be defeated. I admit to usually not really not enjoying these series' when they do focus on the big bad, preferring the more self-contained or, dare I say it, mundane, adventures.

Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series definitely has a big bad. However, I find that it is when Ms. Vaughn focuses on this...more
cathepsut
Kitty is kidnapped and spends most of the book talking to herself. The rest of the time she talks to a bunch of totally unbelievable characters. Not much plot, suspense or action. I was mildly bored throughout most of it. I skimmed a lot in the middle. If story telling is your thing and a lot of of mythology lessons, this might be for you. If I wasn't dead set on reading the next book in the series, I would have thrown this against the wall. Hard.

I hope that Vaughn has not permanently lost the p...more
Jeffrey Grant
I’m not sure exactly what it was about this book, but it didn’t grab me as much as the others have.

I think it’s because Kitty seemed to act uncharacteristically passive and illogically here. I mean, she’s always been non-confrontational; it’s a defining characteristic, but up till now she hasn’t acted willfully stupid in most cases I can remember. Specific gripes are in the spoiler, and unfortunately they make up most of the review:

(view spoiler)...more
Margo (http://redlightfictiondistrict.blogspot.com)
Book provided to reviewer in exchange for a fair review.

Summary – 3.5 stars
Kitty in the Underworld by Carrie Vaughn continues the storyline of Kitty the werewolf's fight against uber villain Dux Bellorum, also known as Roman. This time Kitty is kidnapped by a group who plan to use her in their own fight against Dux Bellorum, and held captive in an abandoned silver mine. It's somewhat reminiscent of Kitty's House of Horrors only the supporting cast is neither as sympathetic nor as much fun to hat...more
Kristin
Writing: 4
Story: 2
Satisfaction: 3

I was a little disappointed by this book. A little more light is shed on who Roman is and his backstory but other than that, not a lot happens. Usually Vaughn is great at writing strong side characters but everyone introduced in this book came across really flat to me.

Ben goes away on a short business trip and Kitty catches wind of some kind of were-animal in her territory. She goes tracking to find out who's come uninvited into Denver but is kidnapped and finds...more
Cat
Not one of her better books. I think this whole concept would have been better as a short story or at the most as the beginning of a novel to set up the second part. The base idea of the story was good. Kitty gets kidnapped by other supernaturals to play a role in a plot to kill Roman and bring an end to the Long Game. However, the story just felt dragged out and the mythological tales, while interesting, almost felt like filler. The we need to get the book to a minimum length sort of thing.

Ove...more
Chris
This installment is much better than the last one. The plot flows better; there is a sense of peril, the Long Game story arc moves along. It even makes me not get upset about the seemingly step back with Hardin.
In a fantasy novel about a werewolf that is peppered with humor, Vaughn also raises some moral questions (timely considering what has been in the news this week) questions about what to when confronted by evil. Additionally the use of the avatars is well thought out. Considering the prev...more
Darcy
I liked this one, but it was missing something. Of course Kitty gets in trouble, that is what happens to her, but this time she is taken away from her everything she knows, she spends most of the book with her captors. This is what I think is missing, Ben, Cormac, and the pack. They have become such a big part of what Kitty does that it seems weird to not have them around but for bit parts.

I did like all the new things that Kitty learned about Roman and the long game. I’m not sure if any of it w...more
Sandra
Kitty is kidnapped by a crazy bunch of people who hate Roman, Dux Bellorum, as much as she does. They hide out underground in a silver mine and the claustrophobic and scary atmosphere created by Ms Vaughn was well done.

The various mythologies intertwined in the story, including Persphone and the Underworld contributed to the feel.

But I missed Ben and Cormac/Amelia who only bookended all the action. I'm sure if we had some alternate chapters of them frantically trying to find Kitty, it would have...more
julia
Linda
This was a novella trying very hard to be a full novel but not succeeding. There simply wasn't enough to this story to stretch it out as much as it was. Little was accomplished, little revealed.

I'm still invested in the outcome of this series, but this book was a disappointment.

Hobart
I'm a little surprised at my rating for this one -- not that Vaughn's not more than capable of writing a four or five-star book -- but based on my reactions while reading which were definitely not favorable. But my reactions were strong enough -- based on the claustrophobic note frequently struck here, and how much I cared about what Kitty was doing/going through -- that I knew Vaughn had delivered. Hadn't necessarily written the book I wanted/expected, but she got the job done very effectively....more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Wow, I’m not quite sure where to start with what I want to say…. I love Kitty Norville. She’s always been a fresh change in a sea where the paranormal series blend together as they always have the same thing to say. The books in this series are always original in plot and there is usually an interconnected storyline or bad guy that drives them forward. That being said, I may just be done reading it.

I’ll try to explain why. Kitty lost the spark for me. In the past few books we haven’t gotten muc...more
Kathy Davie
Twelfth in the Kitty Norville urban fantasy series and revolving around Kitty, a werewolf radio talk show host.

My Take
Normally, I enjoy the Kitty stories. Vaughn makes them fun and informative. This one? Not so much. It caught the informative bit as Vaughn delves into various Underworld myths, but how it related to the story was weak. It seemed more of stretch than anything else.

The basic premise of the story was good, but its execution bit the big one. I can't believe Kitty didn't play to her...more
Lynne Cantwell
I'm always interested to see how an author of a long-running series keeps her stories fresh. This is the 12th outing for Vaughn's Kitty Norville, a late-night radio talk show host in Denver who also happens to be a werewolf. I absolutely loved the first book (she had me at Denver and radio -- the shapeshifter thing was a bonus) and I have mostly enjoyed the others (the book set in Las Vegas didn't really grab me). But when you get to dozen outings with the same, uh, pack, you might begin to have...more
Kaje Harper
I enjoy this series and will continue to read it, but this one felt like an extended episode without much movement or development in either overarching plot or characters. It could have been trimmed a lot, and made part of a book with other things happening. I still like Kitty, though, and will look forward to her next, hopefully less isolated and static, adventure.
Michaela
For start I have to say I love love love Kitty Norville series! Read all 13 books in the row, could not put it down.
Brilliant writing.
However this last book, Kitty in the Underworld seemed fairly weak in comparison to previous 12 books.
Not as good as the others.
But still will carry on reading this series, can't wait for next book!
Tasha Turner
Enjoyed as usual. Didn't have as much humor or action as previous books but the plot continues to thicken in the long game. The book is mostly Kitty, not much of the gang. My biggest complaint was the number of times food and water and being hungry was mentioned. We see how kitty is evolving as a person.
Shara
It's enjoyable and a fast read, prose-wise, but the plot itself grated on me, with very little actually happening. Still, movement was made in the Long Game, so it's good to see that storyline moving forward, bit-by-bit.
Liv
To say that I was disappointed with this particular Kitty Norville installment would be an understatement.

I never thought that I'd say this about a Kitty novel, but honestly, it was absurdly BORING!!!

After the last book in the series, which I thought was only worthy of a "meh" rating, I wasn't actually actively looking for the next Kitty book. I happened to see this at the library so I borrowed it, thinking that may be there'd be more going on in Kitty's life.

But no, I was sorely mistaken. It w...more
Eleanor
"Then we waited." ...................And that's the last line?

Oy. That said, an odd kind of book to read. It took me ages to get through, because reading the parts about Kitty trapped in the mine, confused, worried, half-starved, made me depressed to read, because I couldn't come to any conclusions either. Usually I can tell what the author wants the reader to think from throwaway adjectives and metaphors and other writing style things. And in the world of the book, that's what's *right*. You ca...more
***Dave Hill
The latest Kitty Norville installment is another departure from the norm, focusing almost entirely on the titular werewolf, who's been captured and imprisoned by a mysterious quartet seeking her assistance in their war on the common enemy of Dux Bellorum, the master vampire trying to take over the world.

The psychological effects of the whole setup are deeply unsettling for the protagonist, who battles claustrophobia, rebellion against imprisonment, a desire to help in the effort, and wavering di...more
Owlcat Mountain
I don't use star ratings, so please read my review!

(Description nicked from B&N.com.)

“As Denver adjusts to a new master vampire, Kitty gets word of an intruder in the Denver werewolf pack’s territory, and she investigates the challenge to her authority. She follows the scent of the lycanthrope through the mountains where she is lured into a trap, tranquilized, and captured. When she wakes up, she finds herself in a defunct silver mine: the perfect cage for a werewolf. Her captors are a myste...more
Melissa
Usually I enjoy Kitty stumbling around trying to figure the best way out of a situation thrust upon her. This time, however, I was quite frustrated with her. She became stuck in a situation in where she was the one with the greatest amount of knowledge but with the least amount of influence. I don't see Kitty actually choosing that situation. She did and so my frustration with her rose.

The action was quite good and engaging, but I had a hard time with the players in this situation. I just didn't...more
  • Box Office Poison (Linnet Ellery, #2)
  • Black Arts (Jane Yellowrock, #7)
  • Possession (Greywalker, #8)
  • Undead to the World (The Bloodhound Files, #6)
  • Forsaken by the Others (H&W Investigations, #5)
  • Dead Man's Deal (The Asylum Tales, #2)
  • Shattered Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #6)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)
  • Bitten By Deceit (Hadley Werewolves #1)
  • River Road (Sentinels of New Orleans, #2)
  • A Stroke of Dumb Luck (Colbana Files, #0.5)
  • Forbidden Fruit (Corine Solomon, #3.5)
  • Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain, #3)
  • Tempest Reborn (Jane True, #6)
  • Ritual Magic (World of the Lupi, #10)
  • Haunted Moon (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #13)
  • Lust for Life (WVMP Radio, #4)
Vaughn was born into a military family and has lived all over the U.S. She received a BA from Occidental College, after which she went on to work too many jobs to count until she went back to school to receive her MA from University of Colorado at Boulder. She currently lives in Boulder, CO.
More about Carrie Vaughn...
Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1) Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville #4) Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville #2) Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville #3) Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)