Start by marking “Pro Bono The 18year defense of Caril Ann Fugate” as Want to Read:
Pro Bono The 18year defense of Caril Ann Fugate

Read Book

Pro Bono The 18year defense of Caril Ann Fugate

In 1958, 19-year-old Charlie Starkweather went on a murder spree that paralyzed Nebraska, shocked the nation, and left 11 people dead. With him when he was captured was his 14-year-old ex-girlfriend Caril Fugate. The question soon arose, was Caril a kidnapped victim, or a heartless accomplice?

Appointed to her case, attorney John McArthur initially accepted the assignment o
Published August 19th 2012 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Pro Bono The 18year defense of Caril Ann Fugate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pro Bono The 18year defense of Caril Ann Fugate

John
Jul 14, 2013 John rated it really liked it
This book tells the story of the 1958 killing spree carried out by Charles Starkweather accompanied by his one-time girl friend, Caril Ann Fugate. Charles was 19 and Caril was 14. It was a tragic story followed by tragic trials in which Charles was convicted of murder and sentenced to die in the electric chair and Caril was convicted as an accomplice and sentenced to life in prison. The tragedy of the trial was that Caril was innocent. At least her lawyer, John McArthur, believed she was ...more
Lynda Kelly
May 07, 2013 Lynda Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
I was interested in this as I love the film Badlands and know the film was loosely based on this case. I've read the odd article over the years and they were always described as a Bonnie and Clyde type couple. However, this book dispels all those myths. The lawyers used real legal transcripts and the fact they KNEW Caril Ann Fugate to put this together, well, the main lawyer's grandson compiled it all in this one handy volume....
It does seem as though Charlie Starkweather did scare her into goin
Sep 30, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
It was for the most part very interesting - the bottom line is why has a frightened fourteen year old been blamed for "failing" to stop Charles Starkweather, when dozens of police also could not end his rampage until the afore-mentioned girl ran to the nearest cop - who did not even realize anything was wrong up to that point, and had not noticed the two men fighting over a gun!

Not to mention, at least 8 of Starkweather's victims confronted or attempted to get away in some way. All were killed b
Tom Schulte
Dec 22, 2012 Tom Schulte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real good followup to Caril, this work by the son of one of an attorney for Caril, this covers the years to her release not in the book by Ninette Beaver. While maintaining her privacy, this does let on she relocated Michigan and entered nursing. Beside having a ringside and lifelong seat to the legal battle, James developed a friendship with the companion of Charlie Starkweather and is able to provide many personal details about her. Also, James goes into some length on films, plays, and book ...more
Ruth
Sep 12, 2012 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did find information in this book that I had not read before about this famous case. The author made his points fairly well, but I did note some editing errors. For example, actor Brian Dennehy's name is consistently spelled Denehy. As of this date, the pictures in the ebook do not load.
I hope people read the book with an open mind and try to judge the case based on facts, not rumors or assumptions. I do have a bias of my own, since Caril attended my church and I did testify at her first parol
Christine Bradbery
Mar 03, 2013 Christine Bradbery rated it liked it
This was a very interesting book! Written by the grandson of the lawyer who represented Caril Fugate. Aside from being an excellent book about the life of a young girl mixed up with a crazy killer, it represents many things that started to change in America. After the killings, people felt they lost their innocence and could no longer keep their doors unlocked. Caril in many ways was one of the first people "tried in the media", definitely a sad trend to begin.
H Will
Sep 22, 2013 H Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazingly well-written and compelling look into a case that captured the attention of the nation half a century ago, but now is largely forgotten. Before I picked this book up, all I knew about the Starkweather case was a single line written by Billy Joel, but Mr. McArthur has taken the saga of Caril Ann Fugate and made an easy to read and interesting book. I literally could not put this thing down.
Judy
Dec 14, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at the legal justice system during the 50's and the role of the media then. Some improvements but the media and rumor still play a big role unfortunately in truth rather then facts in determining events. Guilty or not we will never know but the system failed Caril.
Pat
Jan 21, 2013 Pat rated it liked it
This was an informative book however, I felt it repeated itself over & over. Granted it is based on a trial which I am sure that is why the repeating. Altho it was informative I was glad when I was finished reading it.
Scarlett
Apr 04, 2013 Scarlett rated it liked it
I learned a lot about a case I knew nothing about. If you are not into law this is probably not up your alley. I found it interesting.
Mike
Jul 22, 2014 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
An interesting book not only for the story but also the history of American law. It provided a reminder of how recently the rights of accused criminals weren't protected.
Tasha Montelongo
Tasha Montelongo rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Iris
Iris rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Kismet
Kismet rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2014
MJ
MJ rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Christine Meadows
Christine Meadows rated it did not like it
Nov 28, 2014
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2013
Lori Foote
Lori Foote rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Amber Nore
Amber Nore rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2014
Ross Young
Ross Young rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Diane Adams
Diane Adams rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
Renee
Renee rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
Mavis Kimball
Mavis Kimball rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2013
mysfit
mysfit rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2013
  • Cold Water Crossing: An Account of the Murders at the Isles of Shoals
  • One Mississippi
  • A Good Kind of Knowing
  • Beatrice Munson
  • The Band That Played On: The Extraordinary Story of the 8 Musicians Who Went Down with the Titanic
  • No Place Like Home
  • THE BARREL MURDER - a Detective Joe Petrosino case (based on true events)
  • Witness: The Story of David Smith, Chief Prosecution Witness in the Moors Murders Case
  • Discreet Activities (Vigilante, #6)
  • The Reverse Commute
  • The Gift (Bandit Creek, #8)
  • Free Gift with Purchase
  • Patchwork of Me
I grew up in Lincoln, Nebraska, where I began writing before I could read. In my teen years I became interested in filmmaking and went to New York University to learn filmmaking. After graduating, I moved to Los Angeles to try to succeed in the film industry. After 15 years of ups and downs, I found my way back to my books, and have been writing both fiction and non-fiction ever since.
More about Jeff McArthur...

“Be on the lookout for a 1949 black Ford.  Nebraska license number 2-15628.  Radiator grille missing.  No hubcaps.  Believed to be driven by Charles Starkweather, a white male, nineteen years old, 5 feet 5 inches tall, 140 pounds, dark red hair, green eyes.  Believed to be wearing blue jeans and black leather jacket.  Wanted by Lincoln police for questioning in homicide.  Officers were warned to approach with caution.  Starkweather was believed to be armed and presumed dangerous.” 0 likes