Tarnished Amongst the Ton

Tarnished Amongst the Ton (Herriard #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The Secret Life of Miss Phyllida Hurst

Having survived the scandal of her birth with courage and determination, the beautiful Phyllida has reached a precarious balance within the ton. And in just one moment Ashe Herriard, Viscount Clere, blows her world and her carefully made plans to pieces.

Brought up in vibrant Calcutta, Ashe is disdainful of polite London society, but so...more
Published April 23rd 2013 by Harlequin (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Tarnished Amongst the Ton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarnished Amongst the Ton

Elusive Hope by MaryLu TyndallSurrender the Heart by MaryLu TyndallVeil of Pearls by MaryLu TyndallResurrecting Cybele by Jenifer MohammedThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson
Why we don't dress like that? (Part 7)
28th out of 106 books — 14 voters
The Golden Dynasty by Kristen AshleyWildest Dreams by Kristen AshleyDark Lover by J.R. WardFantastical by Kristen AshleySuddenly Royal by Nichole Chase
Royalty In Romance
137th out of 210 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

Rane

A continuation of the Herriard family series, we pick up with Anusha and Nick's son Ashe as he swims a new current of the ton and finding a woman in Phyllida who he finds fascinating and mysterious and wonders what she's hiding..?

Louise Allen wins me over yet again with 'Tarnished Amongst the Ton' picking up years after 'Forbidden Jewel of India' Nick and Anusha are not Marquess and Marchioness of Eldonstone and journey they haven't wanted to travel. Now along with their son Ashe and daughter...more
Susan
Very good book. Phyllida has worked very hard to overcome the stigma of her birth. To the people of the ton she is her brother's illegitimate sister but mostly accepted because her behavior is above reproach. They don't know that she has a secret life that she uses to pay the bills for herself and her brother. She has accepted that she will never marry and has made her own plans for her future. Ashe's arrival in London opens her eyes to feelings she never thought she'd have, but also reminds her...more
Rosemary Morris
Tarnished Amongst the Ton, set in the Regency, is Louise Allen’s enthralling sequel to Forbidden Jewel of India set in India in 1788 which I have already reviewed.

Nick and part-Indian Anusha, now the Marquess and Marchioness of Eldonstone, are reluctant to leave India, but duty calls so they depart with their son and daughter, handsome, charismatic Ashe and charming, innocent Sara.

At the docks Ashe meets Phyllida Hurst, a lady tarnished by her birth, and with many secrets involving her struggl...more
Ladysatel
Tarnished Among The Ton by Louise Allen

Phyllida Hurst leads a secret life. On the surface she is sister to Gregory Hearst, Earl of Fransham, a profligate spender. Phyllida also owns a shop called The Cabinet of Curiosity, calling herself Madame Deaucourt. It is with this shop she makes the money for her and her brother to live in reasonable circumstances. No one in the Ton knows of Phyllida’s venture into commerce, it just wouldn’t do for them to associate with a person of a shopkeeper.

When Phyl...more
Carrie Olguin
DNF.

I fear I may be jaded after reading over 500 romance novels. Other readers may find this story more interesting. But not me. I read halfway through chapter seven before my eyes refused to remain open.

The heroine is the bastard daughter of an earl whose parents married *after* her birth. Apparently she was raped when she was seventeen by the first villain of the story - a gaming hell owner and basic, criminal, all-bad-without-redeeming-values bully.

By day (when the heroine *feels* like it) sh...more
Julie Bonello
Spellbinding historical romance is what Louise Allen does best and in her latest dazzling Regency tale, Tarnished Amongst the Ton, this hugely talented award-winning author has penned an unforgettable story readers will not want to miss!

Miss Phyllida Hurst is a born survivor. The unfortunate circumstances of her birth might have made her a pariah in certain social circles and her brother’s unfortunate penchant for the gaming hells of London might be causing her many a sleepless night, but the un...more
Stevie Carroll
Just when I'm feeling jaded about everything, Louise Allen manages to cheer me up, this time with a continuation of the Herriard's story. This time it's the next generation at the forefront as Nick and Anusha travel to England to claim Nick's inheritance and find suitable partners for their two children. Of course none of them are really prepared for English society, but nor is the ton prepared for them. Throw in Phyllida and her unconventional household (not to mention her dark and complex past...more
Steph N
One star for including a male lead of some color (half British, half Indian) instead of the usual British aristocrat. Otherwise, I'm embarrassed to have read it. Typical romantic nonsense. Easy, mindless read.
Rosie
i am so weak for royal love stories.yes i am.whatever their title may be, dukes, earls, counts, i love them all.and okay, there are so many green-eyed characters in these type of stories too.
Annie Burrows
a satisfying sequel to the earlier India set tale of the Herriard family
Harlequin Historical
Miniseries: The Herriard Family
Category: Historical Romance
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Herriard Family
Category: Historical Romance
Kassie
Enjoyed this book...would recommend.
Heinz Schiffner
Heinz Schiffner marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Jennifer Parker
Jennifer Parker marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Juhi
Juhi added it
Jun 29, 2014
Cary
Cary added it
Jun 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

This author also writes under the name Francesca Shaw.

I have had my nose buried in a history book - fact or fiction - for as long as I can remember, but even more important to me are the places and the objects that conjure up the past. My first attempt at historical fiction...more
More about Louise Allen...
Virgin Slave, Barbarian King The Lord and the Wayward Lady (Regency Silk & Scandal, #1) Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady Practical Widow to Passionate Mistress The Officer and the Proper Lady (Regency Silk & Scandal, #7)