Start by marking “The Marriage Barter (Orphan Train, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Barter (Orphan Train, #2)

The Marriage Barter (Orphan Train #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Mission: Children

Rounding up a gaggle of orphans isn't Wyatt Reed's specialty. Still, the bounty hunter is being paid handsomely to bring these children from Evans Grove to the next town. And then he sets eyes on one pigtailed, pint-sized complication, and the beautiful widow who needs his help.

Charlotte Miller's marriage lacked love, but at least it gave her the right to
Published May 7th 2013 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Barter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Barter

Tonileg
Western Historical clean romance with a damaged man for hire that has a good past that finds love with a sweet recently widowed lady that wants to adopt a little girl from the Orphan Train.
I recently listened to 'Stuff you missed in History class' podcast on the history of the Orphan Train which is a bittersweet story of good and bad choices forced on children in the 19th century America. Which I highly recommend to people that might want to know more.
So marriage of convenience plot that grows t
Joyce
What a sweet, gentle romance! This historical Christian romance takes place in 1875. An orphan train was robbed en route to its final destination of Greeneville. The orphans are taken in by the nearby town of Evans Grove. Many of the orphans have found loving families ready to adopt them but Wyatt Reed has been hired by an overly eager Greeneville to bring the orphans to their original destination. Charlotte Miller has taken in one of the orphans but is now widowed. As a single woman, she is no ...more
Janine

"The Marriage Barter" is the second book in the series "Orphan Trains". I thought the segue from the first book to the second was pretty good especially since they were written by two different authors. I sure hope that the third book picks up from the end of this book for I am a person who wants resolution and happy endings for all. I know that others say the ending is abrupt but I am really hoping that is because more is going to play into the next book.

Wyatt Reed is a man with a past, and now
April
I really wish that I could do half stars on the rating scale. I would have rated the book at 3.5 if I could have done so. At the beginning of the book, I had a difficult time connecting to the characters because I was a bit frustrated with their inability to communicate in any meaningful way. However, by the end of the book, I was very taken with the characters and their stories of faith and survival. In the end, I am glad that I read the book, but I do wish that it had drawn me in a bit quicker ...more
Pegg
A classic frontier story of; woman needs a husband and the nearest available guy will have to do…with a serious twist when the lives of a group of orphans are at stake. The story is built around the true history of the Orphan Train that ferried children from the cities back east to the frontier. Some of these children were adopted into loving families while others became little more than slaves.

In The Marriage Barter, Wyatt Reed and Charlotte Miller combine forces to ensure that Charlotte can ke
Rashika
wonderful story of once was. beautifully written. loved the play into relationships.
good read.
Barbara
This second book in the Orphan Train series is a good one. Intrigue and danger, romance, and sweet children all make it delightful. The characters of Sasha, Wyatt, and Charlotte are wonderful; each grabs your heart in a different way, and Charlotte and Wyatt change and grow so much during the course of events that transpire. The female antagonist from the first book is also in this one, but the mysterious "villian" in the story masterminding the evil was a little bit predictable. Orphan trains f ...more
Alana
great heart-warming story. loved the relationship between wyatt/sasha and charlotte's determination to keep them both. addtionally, the historical view of life as an orphan train rider was an interesting aspect. it showed the good and bad realities some children faced when they boarded the trains.
i hope in the next story the search for the other orphans will be included and who will mr brooks turn out to be? will wyatt be able to find jakob?

***SIGNED***

(Recieved free through Goodreads First R
June
The orphans have arrived and half of them have found new homes but nobody expected someone to question the legality of it all. Was the contract between the Orphan Society and Greencille broken? Wyatt has come to collect the children and a hefty fee that will let him move on with his miserable life. But Charlotte and the other towns people don't want to give up the children they have come to love. Rules, rules and more rules.
Janis Kay
I think that of all 3 couples, Charlotte and Wyatt are my favorite. She's not afraid to voice her beliefs and he never has a dull moment because of that xD They are both very independent characters and this gives their bond the extra strength for when he took off to find the other orphans:) And Sasha is just the icing on the cake><
Harlequin Historical
Miniseries: Orphan Train
Category: Inspirational Romance
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Orphan Train
Category: Inspirational Romance
Chantelle
Chantelle marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Krystal G
Krystal G marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Lydia
Lydia added it
Oct 28, 2014
Kylie Nix
Kylie Nix marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
MAFO Read
MAFO Read marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Connie Steckel
Connie Steckel marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Love Inspired His...: The Marriage Barter giveaway 2 13 Apr 26, 2013 02:17PM
  • Family Lessons (Orphan Train, #1)
  • Their Frontier Family (Wilderness Brides, #1)
  • Roping the Wrangler (Wyoming Legacy #2)
  • Winning the Widow's Heart
  • Mail-Order Holiday Brides: Home for Christmas\Snowflakes for Dry Creek
  • The Hand-Me-Down Family
  • Marriage of Inconvenience
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • The Horseman's Frontier Family (Bridegroom Brothers, #2)
  • The Governess and Mr. Granville (The Parson's Daughters, #2)
  • Groom by Arrangement
  • Loving Bella (Charity House, #3)
  • The Preacher's Bride (Brides of Simpson Creek, #5)
  • Unlawfully Wedded Bride
  • Healing the Soldier's Heart (Brides of Waterloo, #3)
  • An Honorable Gentleman
  • An Inconvenient Match
  • Marrying the Major (The Women of Swan's Nest, #4)
Christine Johnson grew up in small-town Michigan, where tales rise taller than old-growth forest. God blessed her with a love of story, which thus far has led to two RWA Golden Heart® award finals and publication with Steeple Hill’s Love Inspired Historical line. When not at the computer keyboard, she loves to explore God’s majestic creation.
More about Christine Johnson...
Soaring Home The Matrimony Plan All Roads Lead Home Legacy of Love Groom by Design (Dressmaker's Daughters, #1)