Fungi

Fungi

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A collection of fungal wonders...and terrors. In this new anthology, writers reach into the rich territory first explored by William Hope Hodgson a century ago: the land of the fungi. Stories range from noir to dark fantasy, from steampunk to body horror. Join authors such as Jeff VanderMeer, Laird Barron, Nick Mamatas, W.H. Pugmire, Lavie Tidhar, Ann K.Schwader, Jesse Bul...more
Published December 1st 2012 by Innsmouth Free Press

To ask other readers questions about Fungi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fungi

M Griffin
Fungi, edited by Orrin Gray and Silvia Garcia-Moreno, collects about two dozen weird and fantastic stories focused on the theme of fungus, including mushrooms, molds and a whole related class of bizarre life forms.

I expected mostly dark tales of decay and derangement, but many of the tales here turn out to be lighthearted, whimsical, even silly. Whatever one's preference in terms of tone, Fungi undeniably contains a healthy measure of strong genre fiction. Whether due to my own predisposition t...more
Jessica
This was very fun to read. It always seems so difficult to rate a collection of various writers, though, because it never fails that there are stories I really love and others that just seem standard, even almost uninteresting, so I think of this as a high three (since we don't have out-of-ten ratings). I liked that a spec poem was included at the end. Overall, I enjoyed reading it and would probably pass it along to someone I thought would like this kind of thing.
Frances
A much wider range of stories than I was expecting. You've got some classic fungus/body horror and some sad tales of personal darkness, but there's also Victorian bio-engineering, weird Westerns, dark comedy, science fiction that puts the mushrooms in a very different role from what I was expecting, high fantasy (the old stuff), cross-sections of neighbourhood life that take a dark turn, mind-altering alien invasion, poetry...

I'm sitting here looking over the table of contents, and I really don'...more
A.C. Wise
In the interest of full disclosure, I do have a story in this anthology. That aside, I highly recommend picking up a copy. As a physical object, Fungi is gorgeous. Above and beyond the cover art, which initially drew me to the anthology, the hardcover edition has lovely interior illustrations reminiscent of the work of Mike Mignola, and overall there's something very pleasing about the way the book's layout, which is not something I would normally notice. The stories are strong throughout, offer...more
Muchandquick
First: look at that cover art. Isn't it amazing?

Second: This is a strong anthology. It would be a lie to say I enjoyed every story, but for each story I disliked there were two other stories I really enjoyed. There is a wide spread of stories from humorous to haunting, fantastic to riffs on alternate realities, and damn near everything else in between.

Third: Look at that cover art. Then get this book and read it.
Kate Sherrod
Not a dud in the bunch, but some stories did stand out. Find out which on my blog.
Justin Steele
I’ve said before that original anthologies are usually a mixed bag, and for the most part that remains the case. Therefore, it’s a special thing when one comes out that manages to be great throughout. Innsmouth Free Press, a Canadian “micro-publisher”, has already produced some quality anthologies. Historical Lovecraft and Future Lovecraft both have a spot on my bookshelf, and were quite satisfying. Fungi, their latest anthology, stands as their best work yet.

The brilliant cover by artist Olive...more
Jason
An enjoyable collection of fungi-themed, weird tales featuring many well-renowned strange fiction writers (Jeff VanderMeer, Molly Tanzer, Laird Barron, among others). What surprised me most, however, were the pieces by authors whose names were a bit less familiar. Two pieces in particular: "Last Bloom on the Sage," by Andrew Penn Romine and "Dust From a Dark Flower," by Daniel Mills stood out to me as exemplar tales of fungal woes.

"Last Bloom" concerns a train heist set in the Weird & Wild...more
Aaron
Excellent anthology from Innsmouth Free Press that centers around fungus great and small. While there are many stories of the Lovecraftian variety, the anthology also includes tales from Steampunk, Western, Fantasy, and other genres I couldn't begin to put a name to. While there were some of the stories that didn't particularly grab me, none of them struck me as a black mark. Personal favorites include "Goatsbride" by Richard Gavin, "Hyphae" by John Langan, and "Dust From A Dark Flower" by Danie...more
Chadwick Ginther
Yes, I do have a story in this collection, but speaking for everyone else's work, this is simply a stunning anthology. Too many great stories to call out individually, and Bernie Gonzalez's art in the limited edition hardcover is so cool! I'd have read this anthology even if I didn't have a story in it, and I don't even eat mushrooms.
Eric Orchard
The vast majority of the stories here are amazing. I found the ones that interested me most were either the ones with fantastical world building or creepy horror. The subtler stories felt like lost opportunities. Several times I was pleasantly surprised by the tone or approach of a story.
Frank Errington
Fungi is a new anthology from Innsmouth Press edited by Orrin Grey and Silvia Moreno-Garcia. First let me compliment the brilliant cover art from Oliver Wetter. He does a very nice job of capturing the spirit of what lies between the covers of this anthology.

As I read the 27 stories in this collection I found my response to be as varied as the stories themselves. There were some I loved, some I was lukewarm about and others that I just didn't care for at all.

The anthology starts with "Hyphae" a...more
Jon
A large, eclectic collection of short stories that relate to fungi in one way or another. From the expected Lovecraftian-style horror, to altered states of consciousness, fairy tales and even humour - there’s a huge variety of themes on offer here.

However, not every story worked for me, and I probably only really liked around half of the anthology. The stories I did enjoy were really very good, though.
Xander
Really just restating my while-reading review: a real mixed bag. Some are awful, some are amazing, I wish less of them felt the need to go HEY THERE'S THIS LOVECRAFT GUY HAVE YOU READ HIS STUFF WINK WINK.

Overall a decent read.
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Dreaming Johnny
Dreaming Johnny marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Glenda Keeler
Glenda Keeler marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Loveblind
Loveblind marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Rainbowsplatters
Rainbowsplatters marked it as to-read
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Jayme Allen
Jayme Allen marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
James Maier
James Maier marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Lenny Rahaman
Lenny Rahaman marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Badseedgirl
Badseedgirl marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Iqra
Iqra marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jennifer Perguson
Jennifer Perguson marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
  • The Mammoth Book of Monsters
  • Ghosts by Gaslight: Stories of Steampunk and Supernatural Suspense
  • North American Lake Monsters: Stories
  • The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories
Orrin Grey is a skeleton who likes monsters. When asked, he claims to mostly write oubliettes.
More about Orrin Grey...
Never Bet the Devil & Other Warnings Mutagenesis The Mysterious Flame Iron Kingdoms Excursions: Season One, Volume Three Black Hill

“He was born of a human-fungal love affair that shook the court of Onddo. His mother was a human, a princess of the court, by the name of ‘Agatha’. His father was the notorious pirate captain, AGARICUS AUGUSTUS — THE PRINCE.” 0 likes
“His father was captured shortly after by the AMANITA PHALLOIDES and executed horribly.” 0 likes