Start by marking “Puritan Portraits: J.I. Packer on selected Classic Pastors and Pastoral Classics” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Here one of the leading authorities on the Puritans, J. I. Packer introduces us to their rich theology and deep spirituality. Packer gives us profiles of John Flavel, Thomas Boston, John Bunyan, Matthew Henry, Henry Scougal, John Owen and Stephen Charnock and two closer portraits of William Perkins and Richard Baxter. The writings of the Puritans continue to profoundly rew ...more
Published November 14th 2012 by Christian Focus (first published September 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Puritan Portraits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puritan Portraits

Dave Jenkins
Feb 18, 2013 Dave Jenkins rated it really liked it
The Puritans are rightly regarded as some of the greatest theologians the Church ever produced. With men like John Flavel, Thomas Boston, John Bunyan, Matthew Henry, Henry Scougal, John Owen and Stephen Charnock among others it would be hard to overstate the case that this was one of church history’s brightest periods of time. In his new book, Puritan Portraits leading evangelical theologian Dr. J.I. Packer writes to help introduce us to the Puritans rich theology and deep spirituality.

Dr. Packe
Mathew
Jan 21, 2013 Mathew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
The title says it all--portraits. This book contains a collection of portraits written as introductions for reprints of Puritan works. They were collected as a sketches for each of the authors with additional material supplemented (introduction to Puritan theology and two additional authors sketched at end).

To know the Puritan emphasis, we must first understand true evangelical devotion,

Whatever the reason, the fact is there, and our idea of devotion appears foreshortened. Once it signified adhe
Timothy
Jan 26, 2013 Timothy rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
A Puritan Primer and Pastoral Guidebook

"In former days,preaching and devotion were seen as correlates--faithful Bible teaching fed hearers with truth to trust, digest, and live out,and faithful Christians looked for,and longed for, didactic displays of biblical thought and teaching by which to shape their self-management in both living with God and relating to family, friends, colleagues and other human beings." (J.I. Packer)

It is this truth, set against the backdrop of "the slimmed down, man-c
Clint Letterman
Jan 25, 2013 Clint Letterman rated it it was amazing
For those who are familiar with the life of J.I. Packer, publishing another book on Puritanism should not surprise. In my opinion, the greatest impact of this English theologian’s life has not been his works, but rather his relentless desire to reintroduce this generation to the Puritans.

With this emphasis established, Puritan Portraits is out of the same mold. In the prologue, Packer states clearly the authorial intent of this 192 page book, stating, “I ask my readers to think from the outset o
Trisha
Jan 28, 2015 Trisha rated it really liked it
There's no avoiding Packer's ecumenical leanings in this book as he waffles on the Puritan view of Roman Catholic theology. Thankfully, it's quite brief and his passion for the Puritans and their writings makes this an edifying introduction to godly men like Bunyan, Boston, Baxter, Henry, and more.
Jacob Aitken
Decent intro. Much shorter and easier than his *Quest for Godliness.* The section on Baxter was worth the price of the book. Some of his chapters didn't seem to go anywhere (the one on Matthew Henry) and I never really labeled Thomas Boston as a Puritan.

There was a lot of repetition in the sections on Boston; that's okay, I suppose, since it is good material and it reinforces the content. While Packer really loves Perkins, he wastes no time, and yea, seems to go out of his way in taking pot sho
Dennis Bills
Jul 19, 2015 Dennis Bills rated it it was ok
Not impressed. A random collection of previously written overviews of various puritans. Very little unifying theme. Good information as far as it goes. But seems like a lazy product by the publisher capitalizing on the author's name.
Min Lee
Mar 03, 2015 Min Lee rated it liked it
Good intro to puritan authors
Michael Locklear
An excellent book with Packer reviewing 9 books of seven Puritan authors. Plus, Packer writes about two more Puritans, William Perkins and Richard Baxter. A small book that is well worth the read.
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Iris Selena
Iris Selena marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Keith A
Keith A rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Rusty Johnson
Rusty Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
David Clifford
David Clifford marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Darla
Darla marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Chris Boyd
Chris Boyd marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Nate
Nate marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Tom S Miller
Tom S Miller rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Wolf Mc
Wolf Mc is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2015
Harriet Johnston
Harriet Johnston rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Nathan Long
Nathan Long is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What do J. I. Packer, Billy Graham and Richard John Neuhaus have in common? Each was recently named by TIME magazine as among the 25 most influential evangelicals in America.

Dr. Packer, the Board of Governors’ Professor of Theology at Regent College, was hailed by TIME as “a doctrinal Solomon” among Protestants. “Mediating debates on everything from a particular Bible translation to the acceptabi
More about J.I. Packer...

“I love his threatenings as most just ...” 0 likes
“Christ had the good of souls in his eye.... When you preach, let this be your design, to seek to recover lost sheep ... to get some converted, and brought in to your Master.” 0 likes