Start by marking “Stained” as Want to Read:
Stained

Stained

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  708 Ratings  ·  146 Reviews
An intensely powerful account of a teen, bullied for her port-wine stain, who must summon her personal strength to survive abduction and horrific abuse at the hands of a deranged killer.

Sixteen-year-old Sarah Meadows longs for "normal." Born with a port wine stain covering half her face, all her life she's been plagued by stares, giggles, bullying, and disgust. But when sh
Published October 1st 2013 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Stained, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stained

Jubilation Lee
I ran into kind of a conundrum with the last book I read by this author, where I thought the entire story was totally over the top, and then I realized it was based on aspects of the author’s own over the top life, and then I didn’t know how to rate it and I was all kerfluffled.

But I decided to give Stained a try. Despite the fact that it apparently continued to be semi-based-on aspects of the author’s own life. Because the cover looked awesome. And the plot sounded interesting.

And friends… fri
Roxanne Kade
Jul 29, 2013 Roxanne Kade rated it it was amazing
This is a very dark and harrowing story of one girl's strength and will to survive.

Sarah is a brave, sweet girl who is forced to face a cruel and unwelcoming world, day in and day out. She wants nothing more than to be normal; to be one of the Beautiful People, but the devastating turn her life takes will show her that behind the beauty can lie a monster.

My heart was in my throat for most of this story. I can only imagine how terrifying it must be, not knowing if you will live to see another da
Claudia
I read this in July as an advance reading copy and couldn't review...NOW I can! Woohoo.

Cheryl Rainfield is one of the bravest people I know. She has faced some of the most harrowing events anyone could...as a defenseless child. She creates characters who find themselves in similar kinds of peril, and she uses her own horrors to bring reality to her books.

Stained...that's how Sarah feels. The port-wine stain that covers part of her face deeply affects the way she is seen by others and how she se
G. Cribbs
Oct 23, 2014 G. Cribbs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Cheryl Rainfield is an amazing human being. I love her to pieces. I have read SCARS, HUNTED, PARALLEL VISIONS, and now STAINED. All four books are incredibly well written, true-to-life and realistic teen fiction. But there's an air of realism that cuts through the pages, reaches out from the book as you hold it, and grips you like no other YA books I've read. Hands down, I am in awe of Cheryl's remarkable writing, and accessibility. And with STAINED, Cheryl has raised the bar once again.

I met Ch
M J
Sep 17, 2013 M J rated it it was amazing

July 5th I tweeted, “Best welcome home greeting. ARC copy of Stained by @CherylRainfield I’m jumping up & down with joy. Putting all others away #summerreading”, and I read with barely a pause. As I finished the book I did so holding my breath. There was no way I was going to be able to write a review.

The protagonist, Sarah Meadows, felt too personal. She felt too real, and honestly that scared me a little. So I sat on my copy of Stained and waited for
Abbe Hinder
I feel bad about review this book because of my mixed feelings towards it. The message it's trying to get across gets there, loud and clear. Yet, there are so many things that I just couldn't overlook since this is a novel telling a story that might be fictional, happens to people all over the world. Before getting to the things that disappointed me, I want to say that Cheryl Rainfield did make me uncomfortable and she did make me remember that my life could be worse no matter the situation that ...more
Reeda
Dec 04, 2013 Reeda rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, young-adult
An emotional YA novel dealing with the abduction of a 13 year old girl, Sarah, who gets bullied at school because of a port wine stain on her face and how her ordeal makes her accept herself for who she is. The author deals well with the pain the girl feels because of her birth defect and the strength she finds within herself despite her confinement. I also fell in love with Nick, the "nerd" who secretly loves Sarah, and his tenacity for not wanting to give up on her. Recommended.
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
It had a very powerful start, putting us in Sarah's shoes, showing how it feels to have such a prominent stain on her face. She is tormented and she feels like no one gives her the chance to see who she is besides someone that is not physically perfect.
I liked the dual perspective and getting to know Nick. He is nerdy and he is kind so I automatically was cheering for him even though he knew that she didn't see him like that. He saw past her face, and found her beautiful anyways. He thinks sh
Suzanne
Nov 22, 2013 Suzanne rated it it was ok
The bullied are often chosen by their tormentors for something that marks them as different from the herd. Something screams prey to those who make themselves predators of their own species, and in Sarah’s case it is a facial port-wine stain. Everyone, save three others who see their own share of mistreatment—two of them fat, one boy and one girl, and the other a lesbian—treats Sarah horribly. The very day that she was scheduled to do treatments to lighten her stain and a financial disaster befa ...more
Brianna C
Nov 30, 2014 Brianna C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, edelweiss
4.5 out of 5 stars
received via Edelweiss and HMH Books For Young Readers in exchange for an honest review

"Behind me, I hear another burst of giggles. I know it's about me and Nick. Purple stain and doughboy. They don't care that he's kind, smart, and good natured, and sort of cute in a soft, chubby way, with messy, sandy hair that's always falling into his eyes and a quick smile. All they see is his weight and his social awkwardness, just like they only see my face and how alone I am."

Wow. I've
Kaitlin (Reading is My Treasure)
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

Source: I received an e-arc of this book through Edelweiss in return for an honest review. Thank you to HMH Books for Young Readers for letting me read it!

(For this review, I decided to divide the things that stood out to me and put them under headlines describing the topic.)

This book was . . . incredible. Scary. Inspiring. It wasn't light, fluffy, or easy to read. It was packed with powerful messages of strength and inner beauty. It's a story worth every second of your
Cheryl
Oct 29, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Perhaps I am stronger than I think. - Thomas Merton

"Stained" is an excellent book, telling the painful story of Sarah Meadows. Sarah is 17 years old and has grown up with a large port wine birthmark on her face. She's had to call on her inner strength to put up with the rude comments, stares, and bullies all her life. But now she's been kidnapped and really must call on that strength to make it through this horrendous experience alive and sane.

The story is told in the alternating first person vo
Katy
Mar 21, 2014 Katy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who need to learn to be their own hero
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon Vine
Book Info: Genre:
Reading Level: Young Adult
Recommended for: Those who need to learn to be their own hero
Book Available: October 1, 2013 in Hardcover, Kindle, and Audiobook formats
Trigger Warnings: bullying, kidnapping, sexual assault, rape, attempted murder, reported murder

My Thoughts: “Sometimes you have to be your own hero.” That is the lesson Cheryl Rainfield has said she tries to show in all her books. I'll admit to being a Cheryl Rainfield fan—I have liked all of her books I've read to dat
Lorca Damon
Sep 22, 2013 Lorca Damon rated it it was amazing
Cheryl Rainfield has done it again. As one of the powerhouse young adult authors who championed the #YASaves hashtag on Twitter, a cause that was taken up by authors and readers alike who felt that powerful teen literature had helped them survive high school and shaped them into the adults they are today, Rainfield often writes about the characters and topics that teen readers hunger for but that the adults in their lives want to pretend aren't real.

In this latest work from Rainfield, who has op
Tez
Nov 02, 2013 Tez rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Where do I even begin with Stained? First, I’d like to say how I hands down loved this book. I read it in less than a day. The story was completely gripping and it plays on the emotions the way Fault in Our Stars by John Green. If you loved that book, you’ll most likely love this one. I do have a few warnings for anyone thinking about picking up this book. While I applaud Rainfield’s use of showing Sarah overcoming her victim mentality to save herself and the ones she loves, I caution readers be ...more
❤♥♔Nia♔♥❤
Nov 11, 2013 ❤♥♔Nia♔♥❤ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who read scars and stereotypical teens, as well as teens
I loved it.
She really came down deep and you could tell that it was all from the heart, personal in a way.
I didn't like the beginning so much and the end felt somewhat rushed but that's NOT changing my view.
And the suspense! My heart was beating the last 30-50 pages. I just kept turning page after page, guessing what would happen next.
The point is, I felt like I was there, just watching, and that made me feel... scared, I guess.
THE GUY IS CRAZY! I'd be terrified out of my mind if I was with him!
Llyr
May 30, 2014 Llyr rated it it was amazing
This novel was heartbreaking, thrilling and I could not tear myself away. I think everyone should read this book no matter what your background.
Ryan
Oct 03, 2014 Ryan rated it it was amazing
I love this book, its amazing the way Sarah talks it seems like she is just lie me!!
A girl name Sarah is an outcast and she gets bullied. She plans to get surgery to make her prefect. Her parents have to tell her to not to got after something happened at his work. She goes to school and a new boy came to school. Sarah rates him out of a 10 an 8. He wares all black, Sarah talks to him then he invites her to his house. That is where all the craziness happens.
Brittany Kane
Jun 20, 2014 Brittany Kane rated it did not like it
I felt that this book was incredibly hard to get through. The characters seemed flat and didn't feel like real people. I found myself rolling my eyes more than anything. I was detached most of the time. I caught myself on several occassions saying "That's not how a person would talk."

I did like a lot of the descriptive writing. I really could see the scenery, but not much else.
Sherry
Jun 27, 2014 Sherry rated it it was ok
Wisteriouswoman
Jul 24, 2014 Wisteriouswoman rated it did not like it
This is a book I will probably forget. It wasn't very well written and the plot didn't hold up.

In comparison the book about imprisonment that haunts me the most was The Girl in the Box. That girl doesn't escape. I'll never forget it because I wonder about the girls in the real world that are never found. Stained makes a more empowering book that gives hope. Which seems to be an important message that the author wants to get across.

The book jacket for Stained states 'Sometimes you have to be yo
Jun 23, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Summary:
Sarah has been bullied her entire life because she was born with a wine colored stain on her face. This birthmark has haunted her entire existence. Even though her parents have supported her through everything then can, she can be difficult to get along with because of what she sees as her deformity. Her best friend Nick and her get into a fight and she runs away only to get abducted by a psychotic killer. While abducted, her tormentor attempts to make her feel like death will be a relea
Rondy
May 16, 2014 Rondy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
"Stained"

well that was a read !

i liked this book but at the same time i hated it !

only because it touch me on so much levels because i understand Sarah and i could feel her pain and the loneliness she felt.

i liked this book because its a book that needs to be out there for people to read !! we have all seen those missing kids poster all over every store you go to you see them and am sure no one ever stop and think about them.I i know i didn't i would just pass by them and never think about it.L
Jen - At Random
Apr 14, 2014 Jen - At Random rated it it was amazing
I won this audiobook from the author but that in no way affected my review.

Stained was the first audiobook I listened to and I was instantly hooked. I’m hooked on audiobooks and more importantly I was hooked on Stained. It only took me an evening and part of the next morning to listen to the entire book which was almost 8 hours. Cheryl’s writing is so powerful. She broaches very difficult subjects like kidnapping and bullying, but she always manages to infuse a sense of hope into her books.

The t
Jazzy
Jan 19, 2016 Jazzy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Amazing, tearful, and heart-pounding, gripping novel that I have read so far in 2014.

Our main character seventeen-year-old Sarah, torments herself by putting pictures of beautiful people that she considers normal because they have something she longs for; a normal, perfect face. Born with a port-wine stain covering half her face, she is bullied, giggled at wherever she goes.

She creates a comic hero Diamond, an almost Alto ego for Sarah who she wants too be a stronger person who does not put up
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This was a powerful and emotional story about the strength most people carry within them. Sarah sees herself as weak and deformed, yet must find the inner strength that others see when they look at her in order to survive a terrifying ordeal. Not just survive, but overcome.

I was blown away at the sheer amount of emotion the book generated. I haven’t read a Cheryl Rainfield book before, but you can bet I will be reading her other books now. This book was full of raw emotion. I couldn’t put the bo
Medeia Sharif
Sep 05, 2013 Medeia Sharif rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Sarah was born with a port-wine stain on her face. It’s plagued her whole life, with bullies and strangers treating her differently because of its prominence on her cheek. All she wants is surgery, but her family’s financial problems prevent that from happening.

One afternoon, after feeling abandoned by her best friend and being tormented by a group of boys who ganged up on her, Sarah is abducted. Her kidnapper locks her in a room with no way out and wants her to believe she’s a burden to others
Stephanie
My Summary: Sarah has grown up knowing she wasn't anyone's idea of beautiful. With a large port-wine stain covering half her face, she knows that whenever someone looks at her, it's all they see.

One day, when Sarah is on her way home from school, she's abducted - and the key to her survival may just be her birthmark. Because it's given Sarah strength to fight her entire life, and strength is exactly what she's going to need to escape her psychotic captor.

My Thoughts: This novel pulled me in and
Jo
Aug 07, 2013 Jo rated it really liked it
This took awhile to get going, but once it did I could not put it down. There were some chapters that could have been eliminated in the middle or condensed, but overall it was a fantastic book. This book had so many angles to it. I can really see it being used in a book club for older teens or for victims of abuse. There is a lot of mature content that is disturbing - needed for the story, but disturbing. But this books tackles abuse, psychological trauma, and bullying in a real and honest way. ...more
  • Dancing with Molly
  • Brother, Brother
  • What We Become (Those That Wake, #2)
  • The Cutting Room Floor
  • Wish (triology Faerieground, #1)
  • When the Stars Threw Down Their Spears (The Goblin Wars, #3)
  • Anywhere but Here
  • Broken
  • The Last Good Day of the Year
  • Positively Beautiful
  • No Angel

“When something that’s a part of you causes you so much pain–pain others inflict–you obsess about it.” 13 likes
And I'm still alive. That's what I have to focus on. Because I want to live. Even now I can't let myself give up. And that's something I didn't know about myself before - that I have such dogged determination and strength. That I can be completely focused on a goal and work long past what I thought my endurance was, when I have to.” 12 likes