Start by marking “Scissors: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Scissors: A Novel

Scissors: A Novel

Based on the life of the great short-story writer Raymond Carver, particularly his last ten years, Scissors is a funny, compassionate, and convincing portrayal of the creative life: its compulsions, rewards, and frustrations, and its affinities with tragedy.

Raymond is a writer whose life is fraught with personal and creative struggle. His first marriage, to Marianne, is in
Published August 13th 2013 by Nan A. Talese (first published August 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Scissors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scissors

M. Sarki
Dec 10, 2015 M. Sarki rated it did not like it
Total crap. Do not believe a word of the hype and blurbs regarding this book. A middle-school child could have written this, and still come across with more of the truth in his fiction than Michaka coyly managed. It is not surprising to me that devotees of Lish have completely ignored this book. If it were any good there would have been some sort of outrage. A novel easily discounted for its poor attempt at copying important literary lives and a hopelessly failed attempt at exhibiting them on ...more
Tony
Jun 20, 2013 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting if underwhelming fictional account of life of Raymond Carver, dealing particularly with Carver's relationship with his editor Gordon Lish. Lish (Douglas in this book) was known to have made drastic cuts to Carver's stories before publishing them, hence the title. Author Michaka actually created four short stories written by the fictional Raymond that are part of the narrative. Translated from French.
Shannon
Sep 07, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
Michaka uses such a unique style, I was drawn in quickly. The quick changes in perspective kept my attention and made for a quick read. He really puts Carver's priorities in the spotlight, a fresh perspective. Seeing the contrasts between writer and editor in such a format is intriguing.
Diana
Aug 17, 2015 Diana rated it really liked it
On audiobook, a really splendid audio production, with four excellent readers.

I'm the target market for this book. In college I had a whole seminar on Raymond Carver, the writer this book is (fictionally speaking) about. I've read everything he's written, and I wrote about a lot of his stories, so I remember them really well. I read with fascination the New Yorker article that came out in 2007 about Carver and his editor, Gordon Lish (a very important character in this book). So I ate this up, a
Aug 19, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I have loved Raymond Carver since I was seventeen and picked up _Another Path to the Waterfall_ and _Where Water Comes Together with Other Water_.
Scissors was a very interesting novel. It was cut up into small segments, all with the first person views of Raymond, his two loves, and his editor. (However, why Michaka changed the names of his wives, I really don't know.) Additionally, there were three short stories written not by Carver, but by Michaka in the style of Carver.
Overall, I really enjoy
Jodi
Jul 10, 2013 Jodi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scissors is unlike any other book I have read. Based on the life of Raymond Carver, the author writes the novel in snippets, thoughts and short-stories. And it works! I was captivated from the start. The book wrapped itself around me and didn't let go. When I finished reading I felt adrift, alone and mourning the book's finality.

This is the book that will have me reaching for it again and again in the years to come. I highly recommend the read.

Disclaimer: I received an ARC of "Scissors" by the
Rachel
Jan 04, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers, short-story fans
This was an enjoyable, if sad, read. I picked this up at my local library after reading one of Carver's stories in one of my college classes. As the author states, the characters and events is only very loosely based on Carver's life and the short stories were entirely of his own invention. Keeping this in mind, the book was very clever and well-written. If you enjoy stories about authors, this is a nice short book. (view spoiler) ...more
Sheryl Martin
Nov 22, 2015 Sheryl Martin rated it it was amazing
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads. I loved it. It does take a while to get used to. The writing style is really unique, something I at least had never seen before. But once I got used to that, the story was amazing. I couldn't put it down. And I love the way the author intermingles the written short stories to further the plot. All in all, a great book that I would recommend to anyone looking for something fresh and exciting.
Doubleday  Books
Aug 29, 2013 Doubleday Books rated it it was amazing
"[An] empathetic exploration of an author's soul, his allegiance to his writing above all else, and the increasingly painful submission to his editor that eventually leads to a breaking point ... Like the best literary homages, Scissors evokes a craving for the original — and, in this case, further consideration of the aesthetic questions at the heart of Carver's published work."—NPR
Rachel
Jan 05, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Well written story of Raymond Carver told by his current wife, former wife and editor. The format builds a very rounded view of a imperfect artist and his editor. I enjoyed and would read something by her again.
Lene
Feb 05, 2015 Lene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The style of writing was fun, and the characters were interesting in a way that I haven't read before. I enjoyed it, and as a creator I feel like I learnt something from this book. It was a quick read, and worth every minute spent.
Audrey
Sep 17, 2014 Audrey rated it liked it
I wanted to give 3.5 stars. And I think if I had read Raymond carver I would have given in 4 or 5. Nonetheless, interesting window into relationship between writer and editor, and surrounding relationships as well.
Fiona
Dec 04, 2013 Fiona rated it liked it
i liked the multiple perspectives, as they each voiced their present whether together or apart frm each other. nicely built and undone relationships. convincing!
Joan
Aug 30, 2014 Joan rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
If you've read Raymond Carver, you will find this interesting especially his relationship with his publisher. Short, easy read.
Molly Voorheis
Apr 15, 2016 Molly Voorheis rated it it was amazing
Life is art, then becomes art again. Michaka novelizes Ray Carver's struggle with alcohol, writing and marriage/family--not an easy trio. Memories from the Creative Writing Department at Syracuse.
Patricia Geller
Oct 18, 2013 Patricia Geller rated it really liked it
A novel based loosely on the authors take on Raymond carver, his life and his work. Inventive, compelling and it made me want to actually read more about carver and reread his work.
Shelly
Shelly rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2014
Notthatkate
Notthatkate rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Gisele
Gisele rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2014
Shannon Gould
Shannon Gould rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Dan Nielsen
Dan Nielsen rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2013
Michael Nabozny
Michael Nabozny rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Livia
Livia rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Mugren Al-Ohaly
Mugren Al-Ohaly rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2014
Emilie
Emilie rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Janice
Janice rated it did not like it
Dec 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Red Dragon
  • The Summer of Lost Soles
  • After the Dawn: A Family Affair Novel
  • Tantra (The Anu Files, #1)
  • What Changes Everything
  • Elsewhere, California
  • The Other Room
  • The Fifty-First State
  • Stupid Children
  • Choosing Glee: 10 Rules to Finding Inspiration, Happiness, and the Real You
  • Seeing Through the Eyes of My Papa's Heart
  • What Happened - Where Did I Go?
  • The Sad Passions
  • The Roving Tree
  • Outside the Gate
  • Reckoning at Harts Pass
  • Shadow of the Piper
  • Uncommon Youth: The Gilded Family, Go-Go Life, and Gut-wrenching Kidnapping of J. Paul Getty III