Start by marking “Fox in Socks (Beginner Books(R))” as Want to Read:
Fox in Socks (Beginner Books(R))

Fox in Socks (Beginner Books(R))

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  40,833 Ratings  ·  975 Reviews
A collection of tongue twisters that is "an amusing exercise for beginning readers."--Kirkus.
Library Binding, 72 pages
Published April 12th 1965 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Fox in Socks (Beginner Books, please sign up.

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Either 1 Star or 5 Stars depending on how many times you've been forced to read it/how many glasses of wine you've had to drink

Palm Springs commercial photography

Any sportsball fans in the house? If so you’ll know that meme is 100% accurate. However, since today is Dr. Seuss’ birthday I’m here to talk about a different annoying sound – that which comes from discovering what the fox says . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

Wrong again, but it’s almost as aggravating. In case you are someone who is
Willow
Dec 10, 2012 Willow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is my favorite Dr. Suess book of all time. That’s because my mom couldn’t read it. I mean...she could read most of it. But when she got to the Bim bends Ben’s broom, she’d start tripping up. Then she’d start to laugh, and she laughed so hard a couple of times tears came to her eyes. I loved my mom’s laughter. Consequently, I used to pick up this book almost every night. I think she hid it for a while.

So can YOU read this out loud?

Bim comes.
Ben comes.
Bim brings Ben broom.
Ben brings Bim broo
midnightfaerie
Aug 02, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is one of our favorite Dr. Seuss books. One of the best tongue twister books I've ever read. We've read it several times and for some reason the six sick part always messes me up. I'm pretty smooth up until then. The more I read out loud to my kids, the more I realize I read ahead. I see a word and digest it, then as I'm saying it out loud, I'm already reading the next couple of words. With this book, that's difficult to do, because I often have to go back a word or two because I've ...more
Peter Meredith
May 30, 2012 Peter Meredith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because Mockingjay was so intellectually vapid and emotionally bland I have to work my way back into books. Thus: Fox in Socks! He's a clever fox you know.
Philip
Mar 29, 2010 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The Seuss I read tonight...

I'm going to start reading this every night. And I'm going to time myself. My new goal in life is to always beat my previous best time. Ambitious, I know. I read it to my daughters 3 times tonight, each time faster than the last. What a rush.

I'll tell you what's messing me up... It's those brooms that Ben and Bim are carring around. They're REALLY bugging me.
King Ævil
Jun 19, 2016 King Ævil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Fox in Socks, Dr. Seuss poses a treacherous, but delightful linguistic challenge for adults and children alike. It is also the only work by the famous children's author prefaced with a warning: "This book is DANGEROUS!" Through a series of vignettes on diverse subjects, Dr. Seuss melds his trademark silliness with near-lethal tongue twisters, including a variant on the infamous "The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick."

Fox in Socks offers lots of opportunities for grownups. Read it in bed w
Faith-Anne
Jan 16, 2008 Faith-Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every child
This book could be my childhood. I remember many evenings that my brother & I would choose "Fox in Socks" for our nightly bedtime read.
Josiah
Mar 27, 2016 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book will either help emerging readers be better able to pronounce potentially confusing words, or it will drive them insane. For me, I happened to experience a little of both! I do remember having fun while this was read to me, though.
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Aah...a classic. It's impossible to read the tweetle beetle bottle battle out loud without dissolving into giggles.
Sergiy
Jul 17, 2016 Sergiy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
paddle battle!
Adam
Jul 29, 2008 Adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: worst enemy
Shelves: evil-kids-books
This is an evil kid's book, for sure. Pick it up and you'll be condemned to a near eternity of grueling tongue twisters. And your kid will love it... Not because it's one of Seuss's masterpieces, but because he or she will enjoy watching you sweat like a hog as you labor from page to page and go purple in the face while you silently (with any luck) curse yourself for buying the thing.

[shelf: evil-kids-books]
Margit Sage
Aug 03, 2013 Margit Sage rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Recommended to Margit by: I would guess my mom bought this one for me...
My favorite book, ever. When I was youngest, I would ask my brother to read it out loud to me. When I was older, I would read it to myself, trying to memorize the rhythmic poetry of the crazy fox's shenanigans. Maybe this is why there's a talking fox in my second novel? Hmm.... pieces of the puzzle fit together.
Anthony Eskridge
I have accomplished many amazing things in my life, and I will be honest, reading this book was one of the hardest of them! If you are up for the challenging rhymes of the AMAZING Dr.Seuss, than this book is for you!
Carter
Feb 01, 2016 Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hard but fun to read because of all the rhyming words. I think all readers would enjoy this book. My favorite part is..."We'll find something new to do now. Here is lots of blue goo now. New goo. Blue goo. Gooey. Gooey. Blue goo. New goo. Gluey. Gluey. Gooey goo for chewy chewing! That's what that Goo-Goose is doing. Do you choose to chew goo, too, sir? If, sir, you, sir, choose to chew sir, with the Goo-Goose, chew, sir. Do, sir." That is REALLY HARD to say! (A special thanks to ...more
Erin
Feb 14, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clearly written on a day in which Dr. Seuss was annoyed by the wild, shrieking, running children who so often inhabit public places, Seuss has here his sweet, cranky revenge.

It's awful to read and it never gets easier, and it never gets less funny to the kid to hear their parent stumble over the words.

"Six sick bricks tick. Six sick chicks tock."

There was no need for that Seuss, none. I control my offspring in public places. Why punish us all?
Kirren Wilson
Oct 23, 2013 Kirren Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going back and reading this as a mum is so different from how I remember this book as a child.
Not a good choice for a very tired mummy!! It slowed me down when I wanted to speed up!! Lots of fun to read. My little treasure loves it.
Diana Godwin
Mar 19, 2010 Diana Godwin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book out loud is torture. Reading it 18 times in a row to a 3 year old is unspeakable. I think he wrote this book as a cruel prank toward parents.
Coach D
Mommy was feeling pretty smug about her tongue twister skills for the first few pages, but things went south quickly.
Lucy
May 29, 2015 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my gramas
Recommended to Lucy by: mom
Dr.seuss teaches us lesons. In this book he teaches us that we,re not dumb no body is.If you can,t read this book aloud your not dumb.
John Yelverton
Mar 06, 2012 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book from the brilliant mind of Dr. Seuss.
Neda
Jan 14, 2016 Neda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really amazing tongue twister :)
Shahrun
Sep 18, 2016 Shahrun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a real tongue twisting, head busting, frantic rhyming story that only Dr Seuss could possible get away with. I love the full colour artwork, slightly more vibrant than his other work that I remember reading, so far...
Molly Decker
Feb 27, 2016 Molly Decker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to find a Dr. Seuss book that I have not yet read in my adulthood, although I’m sure this book was read to me as a young child as my mom absolutely LOVES Dr. Seuss (she wouldn’t like me saying I didn’t remember this one!). It was nice to go back and read a Dr. Seuss book as an adult – it is a whole new experience!

Fox In Socks by Dr. Seuss is a great book to read aloud to Kindergarten and First grade classes. This would be a great book to introduce rhyming words! There were rhyming
Heather
Jul 24, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tribute to Dr. Seuss

Every time I read books by his contemporaries, I die a little inside, just from the tedium. And I imagine him looking at the children's books available, circa 1965, and saying, "no one will ever learn to love books if all there is out there is "Go Dog, Go." I can do this better." And then he did.

He tossed out the "Go Dog, Gos" and the "Are you My Mothers?" of the world and redefined the genre. His books are like gauntlets thrown down to all the other writers.

"I can do it wi
Lorna Beckwith
Jul 29, 2013 Lorna Beckwith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed reading Dr Seuss, I read this with my little brothers the other day and we had a race on how could read aloud the fastes without being tongue tied! Dr Seuss is a word genius who uses the power of words and imagination to create a fun learning space. The story features a mischievous Fox who plays a game with Mr Knox embarking on a funny, frustrating, linguistical journey filled with tongue twisters. Dr Seuss fills his book full of poetic devices, humour and bright ...more
Jacob
Feb 12, 2014 Jacob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Dr. Seuss is definitely the most brilliant children's writer who ever lived! And Fox in Socks is one of his most brilliant ever! It's about Fox in Socks and Knox in Box who try to outwit each other in tongue twisters. For someone like Dr. Seuss, you'd think that he would simplify these tongue twisters to make it more enjoyable for younger children below the age of 4, but nope... what makes Fox in Socks brilliant is that Seuss makes the tongue twisters confusing that even someone my age will say ...more
Michael Hickey
Jan 12, 2015 Michael Hickey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ellie
Feb 26, 2010 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"gooey goo for chewy chewing!
that's what that goo-goose is doing.
do you choose to chew goo,too sir?
If, sir, you, sir choose to chew, sir,
with the goo-goose, chew, sir. Do, sir."

"Luke luck likes lakes. "Duck takes licks in lakes
Luke's duck likes lakes. Luke luck likes.Luke luck takes
Luke luck licks lakes. licks in lakes duck likes"
Luke's duck licks lakes."

"I cant blab such
blibber blubber!!
my tongue isn't made
of rubber.
Mr. Knox. Now
come now.come now
you don't have to be so dumb now......
Shanna Gonzalez
Aug 28, 2009 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-04-08
This is a clever book full of tongue twisters, which can be enjoyed as an easy reader or as a read-aloud. The fox plies his friend Mr. Knox with tongue twisters (each accompanied by a funny illustrated scene) and Knox refuses to try them, but in the end Mr. Knox bests the fox at his own game. Children will enjoy playing with these silly words and silly scenes, all of which are defined by the easy reader's limited vocabulary. It's lots of fun, and this kind of wordplay may help open the mind to ...more
Jacob
Nov 25, 2015 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I normally don't put children's books on this list, but this is one of my favorite books to read to kids. Never mind that it is usually not my kids' favorite to have me read.

The rhymes and tongue twisters in this story are great, and if you pay less attention to the meaning of the words and more to the sounds they make, particularly in the combinations Dr. Seuss creates with them, you can appreciate his true genius. I still haven't figured out how to say the words of the entire book in a way tha
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare
  • Busy, Busy Town
  • On Beyond Bugs (Cat In The Hat's Learning Library)
  • Puff, the Magic Dragon
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • I Just Forgot (Little Critter)
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • Birthday Monsters!
  • Chester the Worldly Pig
  • The Travels of Babar
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both ...more
More about Dr. Seuss...

“When beetles fight these battles in a bottle with their paddles
and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles...
...they call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle
bottle paddle battle.”
1712 likes
“Don't give up! I believe in you all.
A person's a person, no matter how small!
And you very small persons will not have to die
If you make yourselves heard! So come on, now, and TRY!”
47 likes