Start by marking “Red Holocaust (Deathlands, #2)” as Want to Read:
Red Holocaust (Deathlands, #2)

Red Holocaust (Deathlands #2)

But the future in a world shrouded in the radioactive red dust clouds of a generation-old global nuclear war depends on finding hidden caches of food, weapons and technology the legacy of a preholocaust society stashed in lonely outposts known as redoubts.

When Ryan Cawdor discovers a redoubt in the bitter freakish wasteland that now passes for Alaska, he also uncovers a

Published November 1st 1997 by Gold Eagle (first published August 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Red Holocaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Holocaust

Joe Stamber
What's wrong with the Deathlands series? Every time a weapon is mentioned, regardless of how often it has been mentioned before, the full name is given along with the ammo it fires. Each time a character is described we also get descriptions of all the weapons he/she is carrying. Now that I'm on the third book (the one after this one) this anal attention to detail is starting to drag. What's it all about?

At the start of this (audio) book were several previews... that's right, previews in an aud
Ana Mardoll
Aug 13, 2011 Ana Mardoll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Deathlands 2: Red Holocaust / 0373625022

Someday, scientists will locate the part of the brain that enjoys Deathlands. I hope so, because I'm curious to know why I like these books. They're full of every trigger warning imaginable -- death, murder, guns rape, torture, bestiality, mutant animals chewing your face off, and painful grotesque radioactive deformities. Fun for the whole family!

However, they're also delightfully campy in a B-movie kind of way. The heroes are fun to laugh at, as well as
Pablo
Feb 27, 2013 Pablo rated it liked it
This book is not very good. And yet I had to read it until the end. It is what it is, if you don't have any expectations. It is a good book to read on the toilet.
Jason King
Apr 04, 2017 Jason King rated it really liked it
This one has it all - a postapocalyptic religious cult, Russian invaders, frozen survivalism. But sometimes it feels like it's too much crammed into one story.
Timothy Boyd
An average apocalyptic adventure story. This one takes a century after the last war and now there are mutants running around the earth. Recommended
Mitchell
Sep 26, 2011 Mitchell rated it liked it
this series is a guilty pleasure of mine..
Scott
Oct 11, 2013 Scott rated it it was ok
This is book 2 (out of 44) in the post-apocalyptic Deathlands series and it's already losing my interest. It lacks the main character Trader from the first book and the prequel (actually book 44 in the series) and instead, we have the generic, perfect, macho, one-eyed swashbuckler, Ryan. Trader was a detail-oriented badass with weakness, wisdom, age. Ryan gets mad a lot and wears an eye patch. Ryan is that guy on Harlequin covers kissing the flowing red-haired girl (Krysty Wroth in this case) wi ...more
Nick
Feb 21, 2011 Nick rated it liked it
For most of the way through the book I was giving this one two stars, and only the ending bumped it up to three as it was fun action-adventure fare with huge explosions and the main antagonist, who I must admit was very well written, got it in the neck.

Directly on the heels of the previous book however, this was quite disappointing. The relationship between the two main characters continues to develop, as expected, however doesn't feel organic or real, and veers at times towards a saccharine tha
James  Love
The story begins in a sort of continuation, from Deathlands #1: Pilgrimage to Hell, with Ryan, Krysty, J. B. and the rest of the gang escaping from "the Redoubt in the Darks" and arriving at a Redoubt somewhere in Alaska.

The premise is the average "shoot 'em" Western as the members attempt to survive in the snowy wastes of post-Apocalyptic Alaska while evading a group of Russian survivors out for blood, while looting and raping whatever is at hand.

This is your basic fun, escapist action/adventur
Cherie
Sep 08, 2011 Cherie rated it it was ok
My ratings system is as follows. One star is GOOD. The book is entertaining, easy to read and you don't want to stop reading because something about the book is compelling you not to. Two stars is GREAT! This time the story is not only entertaining, but highly creative, unique, easy to read and hard to put down. Three stars is EXCELLENT. Here the book has all aspects of one and two stars, but now the book is thought and emotionally provoking. Four is AWESOME. This is the read that is not only cr ...more
Wendy
Aug 07, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Read August 27, 2006

I am really enjoying this series of books. This one follows Ryan and his group after they find a 'redoubt' and end up traveling from the Deathlands to the frozen wastes of what was once Alaska where they face a band of Russian murderers attempting to invade America.

I really am looking forward to more of these books. I have #3 which I plan to read next. I have a couple more on order from PBS to fill out the beginning of the series, although I am still in search of #4 Crater L
Gabriel
Dec 16, 2012 Gabriel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one had some pretty gross mutilation in it along with strong sexual content. However, the story was good and brought in some new antagonists who survived to return another day, I would assume.
Edelhart Kempeneers
Dec 25, 2012 Edelhart Kempeneers rated it liked it
Heel goed geproduceerd (audioboek; met verschillende stemacteurs en geluidseffecten), maar het verhaal is nogal dunnetjes.
Jamie
Jul 27, 2013 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
pretty good.
Jul 27, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
Been reading the series since the 80's. They are just easy reads. Makes you wonder if you could go on knowing the chips are always done and stacked against you every day.
Ray
Sep 28, 2012 Ray rated it really liked it
It was a fairly quick read. I enjoyed the story very much. It was full of surprises and unexpected moves.
John Davies
John Davies rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2012
Deviant Wolf
Deviant Wolf rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Aug 13, 2012
Mike rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Alex Arai
Alex Arai rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Jesse
Jesse rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Scott Gledden
Scott Gledden rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Brad
Brad rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2008
Nupur
Nupur rated it did not like it
Mar 02, 2011
Ricardo
Ricardo rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Ken
Ken rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2014
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2009
  • Tales of the Grand Tour
  • Starfire (Supernova Alpha, #2)
  • All Fall Down (Supervolcano, #2)
  • The Alien Years
  • Holding Their Own II: The Independents (Holding Their Own, #2)
  • Savage Planet (Saucer, #3)
  • Ember (Haan, #0.5)
  • The Fall of Colossus
  • Leviathan
  • Lord Conrad's Crusade (Conrad Stargard, #7)
  • The Silo Archipelago
  • Radiant (League of Peoples, #7)
  • Invasive Species
  • After Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #2)
  • Strange Days (movie tie-in)
James Axler is a house pseudonym used by Gold Eagle Books, the action adventure imprint of Harlequin Enterprises Ltd.

The pseudonym was first used for the Deathlands series, which began in 1986 with Pilgrimage to Hell, co-written by Christopher Lowder (under the pseudonym Jack Adrian) and Laurence James. He went on to write the next 32 novels in the Deathlands series as James Axler before passing a
More about James Axler...

Deathlands (1 - 10 of 126 books)
  • Pilgrimage to Hell (Deathlands, #1)
  • Neutron Solstice (Deathlands, #3)
  • Crater Lake (Deathlands, #4)
  • Homeward Bound (Deathlands, #5)
  • Pony Soldiers (Deathlands, #6)
  • Dectra Chain (Deathlands, #7)
  • Ice and Fire (Deathlands, #8)
  • Red Equinox (Deathlands, #9)
  • Northstar Rising (Deathlands, #10)
  • Time Nomads (Deathlands, #11)