Start by marking “Hocus Croakus (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #19)” as Want to Read:
Hocus Croakus (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #19)

Hocus Croakus (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #19)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  359 ratings  ·  23 reviews
With major renovations going on at Seattle′s favourite B\′9126B, Mary Daheim moves Judith, Renie and the rest of the unforgettable clan to temporary lodgings at a casino resort. But when a magic show results in murder, Judith and Joe are on the job.

Mystery maven Mary Daheim serves up murder and mayhem in this tale of a vacation gone awry at the Stillasnowamish Resort Casin
Published July 27th 2004 by Avon (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Hocus Croakus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hocus Croakus

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. AustinFront Page Fatality by LynDee WalkerPortrait of a Dead Guy by Larissa ReinhartThis Pen For Hire by Laura Levine
Humorous Mysteries
38th out of 178 books — 75 voters
My Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleyBorn in Ice by Nora RobertsThe Perfect Hope by Nora RobertsThe Next Always by Nora RobertsThe Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts
B&B Fiction
46th out of 94 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Carole
Bed and Breakfast owner Judith Flynn and her husband Joe need to find another place to be while renovations to the B&B are being made. An earlier fire and subsequent water damage necessitate extensive repairs. Judith's cousin Renie and her husband Bill have already signed up for a conference in Renie's field of design to be held at a Native American casino so Judith, her husband, her mother and Renie's mother decide to make a vacation of it. Of course Judith, who's always getting involved in ...more
Pam
AUTHOR: DAHEIM, Mary
TITLE: Hocus Croakus
DATE READ: 10/13/10
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS: Mystery/2003/Avon/354 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: #19 in B&B series
TIME/PLACE: early 2000's/Washington state
CHARACTERS: Judith Flynn B&B owner (husband Joe, retired police detective) Renie Jones, her cousin/best friend graphic deisgner (husband Bill, psychologist)
FIRST LINES: Judith McMonigle Flynn staggered out of the car, dumped a foil-lined ashtray, & found herself looking up at
VJ
I read Suture Self (#17) a year or so ago before reading the books in order. Silver Scream (#18) wasn't available at the library, so I skipped ahead. I kinda regret skipping because now I already know kind of what happened, but I still want to read it to see how it all plays out.

This has to be one of my favorite books in this series! It was zany and funny and fun and had plot twists galore. I love how it shows Judith and Joe's relationship finally settling down and proving that they finally hav
Diane Falvey
Really enjoyed this one in the series. It was much more entertaining. The cousins and their husbands went off to a casino on an Indian reserve, which was near to where they have the family cabin by the lake,so as to get away from the major renovations that were underway at the B&B. However, Judith spends her time going back and forth to the city to sort out problems with the renovations while at the same time as trying to find out who killed the magicians assistant. The story has a unexpecte ...more
Susan
A vacation at a Native American casino leaves Judith Flynn bewildered, as her companions, even her closer-than-a-sister cousin Renie, seem obsessed by gambling fever, even after Judith finds a dead body. Husband Joe, now a private detective, alternatively discourages Judith from involvement and encourages her to talk to people. Joe thinks he's going to make Judith stop her investigations, but an unexpected stop leads her to a major revelation.
Betty
Good read. Nothing earth shattering but a pleasant easy storyline.
Michele
I love this series and this one was no different. somehow the characters never get dull and the plots always fresh.
Georgene
****SPOILER ALERT****

After many trials and tribulations at a tribal casino, the murders that were apparently committed turn out to be a prank to keep the lead character busy and un-bored. Oh, PLEASE! Spare me!
Jenn
This B&B mystery had a very different ending than what I was used to in this series. This time the whole family goes in a vacation to the local Indian run casino. This includes both moms and both husbands. As one would imagine, hilarity and murder ensue.
Jessica
Joy
At halfway through I decided most of the characters were too obnoxious for me to finish the book. I flipped through the ending and felt that was obnoxious too. My sampling of Mary Daheim didn't work out well.
Clint
not very impressed at all with this book. characters were not believable and situations they found themselves in not credible. the writing was very confusing at times. definitely not one of my favorites.
Susan
I did not like this book very much. I'm not fond of gambling (no moral reason, just don't enjoy it). I didn't like Renie's personality here. And what is up with Judith's contractor?
Sallie
An interesting twist on the usual murder mystery for this series. There are so many days when I want to react as Renie does to the rest of the world. How freeing it would be!
Rebecca
The POV is a problem here. It is 3rd person. It sorta feels like limited to Judith, but has far too many comments that don't quite fit her POV.
Paula Mullis
I really enjoy this series. It is light and silly. I like the characters. But, the series is a bit formulatic.
Pat Roseman
Part of a very long series. Actually, I got kind of tired of these after awhile and quit reading them.
Monica Johnson
I don't like Mary Daheim's books as well as other author's. Not much to hold you to the story.
Sharon
My very first Mary Daheim - I was hooked....Now trying to find the older books
Tracey
I liked this one. It made me want to run to the nearest casino but I held off!
smalls
A fun quirky book. Good twist at the end.
Dwin
A quick and fun read
Becky
did not like! felt cheated!
Joe (JP) Foley
Joe (JP) Foley marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Wanda
Wanda marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
  • Who's Sorry Now? (Grace & Favor, #6)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Death Loves a Messy Desk (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #3)
  • Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)
  • Hell Hath No Curry (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #15)
  • Murder Can Singe Your Old Flame (Desiree Shapiro Mystery #6)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters Mystery, #2)
  • Swan for the Money (Meg Langslow, #11)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.
After getting her B.A., she wor
More about Mary Daheim...

Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast Mystery, #2)
  • Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #3)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #4)
  • Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #5)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder, My Suite (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #8)
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #9)
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)
Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1) The Alpine Advocate (Emma Lord Mystery, #1) Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast Mystery, #2) Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #4) The Alpine Betrayal (Emma Lord Mystery #2)