Start by marking “Hocus Croakus (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #19)” as Want to Read:
Hocus Croakus (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #19)

Hocus Croakus (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #19)

With major renovations going on at Seattle′s favourite B\′9126B, Mary Daheim moves Judith, Renie and the rest of the unforgettable clan to temporary lodgings at a casino resort. But when a magic show results in murder, Judith and Joe are on the job.

Mystery maven Mary Daheim serves up murder and mayhem in this tale of a vacation gone awry at the Stillasnowamish Resort Casin
Published July 27th 2004 by Avon (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Hocus Croakus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hocus Croakus

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. AustinThis Pen for Hire by Laura LevineFront Page Fatality by LynDee WalkerPortrait of a Dead Guy by Larissa Reinhart
Humorous Mysteries
187 books — 100 voters
Born in Ice by Nora RobertsThe Next Always by Nora RobertsThe Perfect Hope by Nora RobertsThe Last Boyfriend by Nora RobertsMy Lady Love by Bridgitte Lesley
B&B Fiction
108 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

The Badger
Jul 24, 2016 The Badger rated it liked it
I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. They generally aren't written in pursuit of a spot on the bestseller list; rather, cozies are written to give the reader a sense of comfort and calm (ironically, by way of murder).

My mom read cozies to escape her three eccentric young daughters and grumpy husband: one daughter, the artist, painted five-foot tall green flowers on the side of the freshly painted rental when she was four; the adventurous daughter asked which way north was, and was found by ne
Maria Shuffit
May 11, 2015 Maria Shuffit rated it really liked it
I picked up this book for part of the 2015 Reading Challenge. I grabbed it at a library sale so I didn't realize till I got into it that it was not the first book in the series. Oh, well, I thought. I'm probably just a book or two behind, no biggie. Well... apparently it was more like eighteen books behind. But that is one of the things that I love about cozy mystery series: yes, they are a series, but most of the ones I've read, you don't have to start from the beginning to enjoy whatever rando ...more
Pam
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS: Mystery/2003/Avon/354 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: #19 in B&B series
TIME/PLACE: early 2000's/Washington state
CHARACTERS: Judith Flynn B&B owner (husband Joe, retired police detective) Renie Jones, her cousin/best friend graphic deisgner (husband Bill, psychologist)
FIRST LINES: Judith McMonigle Flynn staggered out of the car, dumped a foil-lined ashtray, & found herself looking up at
Carole
Mar 14, 2014 Carole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books-read
Bed and Breakfast owner Judith Flynn and her husband Joe need to find another place to be while renovations to the B&B are being made. An earlier fire and subsequent water damage necessitate extensive repairs. Judith's cousin Renie and her husband Bill have already signed up for a conference in Renie's field of design to be held at a Native American casino so Judith, her husband, her mother and Renie's mother decide to make a vacation of it. Of course Judith, who's always getting involved in ...more
VJ
Apr 04, 2013 VJ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I read Suture Self (#17) a year or so ago before reading the books in order. Silver Scream (#18) wasn't available at the library, so I skipped ahead. I kinda regret skipping because now I already know kind of what happened, but I still want to read it to see how it all plays out.

This has to be one of my favorite books in this series! It was zany and funny and fun and had plot twists galore. I love how it shows Judith and Joe's relationship finally settling down and proving that they finally hav
Diane Falvey
Mar 01, 2013 Diane Falvey rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one in the series. It was much more entertaining. The cousins and their husbands went off to a casino on an Indian reserve, which was near to where they have the family cabin by the lake,so as to get away from the major renovations that were underway at the B&B. However, Judith spends her time going back and forth to the city to sort out problems with the renovations while at the same time as trying to find out who killed the magicians assistant. The story has a unexpecte ...more
Susan
Jul 03, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
A vacation at a Native American casino leaves Judith Flynn bewildered, as her companions, even her closer-than-a-sister cousin Renie, seem obsessed by gambling fever, even after Judith finds a dead body. Husband Joe, now a private detective, alternatively discourages Judith from involvement and encourages her to talk to people. Joe thinks he's going to make Judith stop her investigations, but an unexpected stop leads her to a major revelation.
Georgene
Dec 28, 2013 Georgene rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
****SPOILER ALERT****

After many trials and tribulations at a tribal casino, the murders that were apparently committed turn out to be a prank to keep the lead character busy and un-bored. Oh, PLEASE! Spare me!
Helen
May 01, 2015 Helen rated it liked it
I love this series, but so far this is my least favourite. I visited a Native American casino last year, and was quite astonished, but there was too much gambling in this bookLike Judith, I am not a gambling fan, and I was annoyed with supposedly sensible people acting so silly in the casino.
Emilia
Nov 09, 2015 Emilia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cosy-mystery
No way! I got tricked in this one! In a good company, because so did the main character, but still! huh!!! :)
Very fun read, lots of twists and turns and tricks :D
definitely a series to watch for (as this is 19th or so book and for me it was a first. :D )
Joy
Oct 15, 2013 Joy rated it did not like it
At halfway through I decided most of the characters were too obnoxious for me to finish the book. I flipped through the ending and felt that was obnoxious too. My sampling of Mary Daheim didn't work out well.
Clint
Jan 12, 2013 Clint rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
not very impressed at all with this book. characters were not believable and situations they found themselves in not credible. the writing was very confusing at times. definitely not one of my favorites.
Jenn
Sep 15, 2014 Jenn rated it really liked it
This B&B mystery had a very different ending than what I was used to in this series. This time the whole family goes in a vacation to the local Indian run casino. This includes both moms and both husbands. As one would imagine, hilarity and murder ensue.
Jessica
May 29, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok
Rebecca
Oct 07, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: rmr-project
The POV is a problem here. It is 3rd person. It sorta feels like limited to Judith, but has far too many comments that don't quite fit her POV.
Susan
Dec 06, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok
I did not like this book very much. I'm not fond of gambling (no moral reason, just don't enjoy it). I didn't like Renie's personality here. And what is up with Judith's contractor?
Michele
Nov 23, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it
I love this series and this one was no different. somehow the characters never get dull and the plots always fresh.
Pat Roseman
Sep 16, 2011 Pat Roseman rated it it was ok
Part of a very long series. Actually, I got kind of tired of these after awhile and quit reading them.
Sallie
Apr 26, 2011 Sallie rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
An interesting twist on the usual murder mystery for this series. There are so many days when I want to react as Renie does to the rest of the world. How freeing it would be!
Paula Mullis
Sep 18, 2012 Paula Mullis rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series. It is light and silly. I like the characters. But, the series is a bit formulatic.
Margaret
Mar 31, 2016 Margaret rated it really liked it
Daheim is a prolific writer, and inevitably has a formula. Colorful sidekick, grouchy mother, husband in law enforcement. But I enjoy every one, and this one has a couple particularly nice twists.
Jennifer rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2008
Andy Perdue
Andy Perdue rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2011
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2009
Ti'Ata
Ti'Ata rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2008
Roxana Griffith
Roxana Griffith rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2009
Renee'
Renee' rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2015
  • Who's Sorry Now? (Grace & Favor, #6)
  • Murder Can Spoil Your Appetite (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #7)
  • Death Loves a Messy Desk (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #3)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Murder Carries a Torch (Southern Sisters, #7)
  • Murder Walks the Plank (Death on Demand, #15)
  • Grape Expectations (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #14)
  • Shoot from the Lip (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #4)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.

After getting her B.A., she wor
More about Mary Daheim...

Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast, #2)
  • Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #3)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast, #4)
  • Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #5)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder, My Suite (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #8)
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #9)
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)