Start by marking “Once More to the River: Family Snapshots of Growing Up, Getting Out and Going Back” as Want to Read:

In "Once More to the River," Erasmo Guerra writes a moving account of his boyhood on the Texas-Mexico border.

An award-winning novelist and journalist, Guerra explores present-day political and cultural realities, and recounts the shattering loss his family suffered when his teenage sister was murdered.

Told with lyrical prose and a reporter’s ear for the “Tex-Mex” languag
Paperback, Print Edition, 70 pages
Published November 16th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published July 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Once More to the River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once More to the River

AthleticStilletto
Jan 11, 2013 AthleticStilletto rated it it was amazing
Knowing she's in heaven doesn't bring her back or seal over the grief, ever, does it.

Followers across the intersection. She floated away in a violent way -- does the river take you closer?

Literary snapshots that evoke a keen sense of sadness.

Born on and returning to a border, both with mother along for the ride.

Many other borders to cross, all described in a beautiful and hauntingly familial context. True stories of love and life shared with us by a writer
Nibra Tee
Apr 19, 2013 Nibra Tee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one sensetive book. It made me smile and broke my heart. Such gentle writing style Guerra has. Although it has socio-political elements, like what it was like (for him) having to straddle between being an American and a Mexican, it also has a slight touch of feminism, like a diminutive butterfly perching on one's finger but doesn't demand. I particularly remember the glowing pages that detail the tragedy that shook the core of his life and his family, and how deep a wound it really was.
Nianna Gustovich
Aug 21, 2016 Nianna Gustovich rated it it was amazing
Once More to the River: Family Snapshots of Growing Up, Getting Out, and Going Back is a collection of short non-fiction stories by Erasmo Guerra, a former Rio Grande Valley native. The five stories included in the collection are told from an adult point of view and recall his personal experiences in the Rio Grande Valley as both child and adult. Moreover, they are a tribute to the hardships of Rio Grande Valley life and present a stock typing of the people who reside there.

The first story in th
Aaminah Shakur
Jan 01, 2013 Aaminah Shakur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mix of laughter & tears, this short book is brilliant and beautiful. I read it in one sitting but I will be contemplating it much longer. Guerra has a special gift in his writing and shares painful memories in a very honest and sensitive manner. One of the deepest aspects of the book (though there are many) is in his frank discussion of how many of our cultures limit opportunities for girls out of a protective interest and how that not only stifles them but ultimately fails in its ...more
Lawrence Everett
Guerra's stories of his upbringing as the middle child in a Mexican American family in Texas made me laugh, cry, and grind my teeth. The most impressive aspect of the collection is his ability to share the hilarity and heartaches without falling prey to self-pity. Highly recommended.
Connie Lewis
Connie Lewis rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Bilevich
Bilevich rated it did not like it
Apr 09, 2015
Charles Rice-Gonzalez
Charles Rice-Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
Libretto
Libretto rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
Thalia
Thalia rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2014
Irma Cardenas
Irma Cardenas rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Susan
Sep 06, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up in Mission, TX...these stories are authentic and I wanted more
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2012
Cristina
Cristina rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2011
Edgar Sandoval
Edgar Sandoval rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2013
Risha
Jan 05, 2016 Risha rated it liked it
I kind of had a mild attack when his sister's murder was announced.
San
San rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2012
Jason Howard
Jason Howard rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2013
Beatriz
Beatriz rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Lichen Craig
Lichen Craig rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2013
Richard Yañez
Richard Yañez rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
Carla Villarreal
Carla Villarreal rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2013
Abraham Garza
Abraham Garza rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Michelle Geaney
Michelle Geaney rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2013
Laras
Laras rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2013
judy monihan
judy monihan rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Margo
Margo rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2016
Lina Suarez
Lina Suarez rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
Dan Trevino
Dan Trevino rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
  • A Tongue in the Mouth of the Dying
  • Bordering Fires: The Vintage Book of Contemporary Mexican and Chicana and Chicano Literature
  • Daddy Lenin and Other Stories
  • City of a Hundred Fires
  • Loving in the War Years
  • In My Family/En mi familia
  • Las Mamis: Favorite Latino Authors Remember Their Mothers
  • Emplumada (Pitt Poetry Series)
  • Antonio's Gun and Delfino's Dream: True Tales of Mexican Migration
  • The Mariposa Club
  • Somebody To Love
  • Changing Pitches
ERASMO GUERRA is a Lambda Literary Award winner. His nonfiction stories have appeared in The New York Times, Texas Monthly, The Texas Observer and aired on NPR.

He is a member of the Macondo Writers' Workshop, headed by Sandra Cisneros. Born and raised on the Texas-Mexico border, he now lives in New York City and drinks too much coffee.

Find me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ErasmoGuerra...
More about Erasmo Guerra...

“No, pos, de nada,” the Mexican said with the typical humility that has always bewildered my American need to take credit.” 0 likes