Start by marking “Lando” as Want to Read:

Lando (The Sacketts #7)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  2,673 ratings  ·  72 reviews
One of the great sagas of our time, the chronicle of the Sackett family is perhaps the crowning achievement of one of our greatest storytellers. In Lando, Louis L'Amour has created an unforgettable portrait of a unique hero.

A man never to count out....

For six long years Orlando Sackett survived the horrors of a brutal Mexican prison. He survived by using his skills as a bo
Published August 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published December 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Lando, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lando

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
"Bucket List" Books
240th out of 752 books — 265 voters
The Fight by Norman MailerUnforgivable Blackness by Geoffrey C. WardThe Sweet Science by A.J. LieblingThe Devil and Sonny Liston by Nick ToschesKing of the World by David Remnick
Best Books on Boxing and Boxers
61st out of 102 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Jacob Proffitt
What illiterate wrote these summaries? Do yourself a favor and don't read any of them. They're awful! For one, they all concentrate on the least interesting pieces of the story.

Not that the story is that great, sadly. Lando isn't terribly interesting, really. Indeed, the real story is with his father's past. Which means I couldn't help feeling that we missed all the most interesting bits sticking with Lando rather than stepping back twenty years and following Falco from the beginning.

Anyway, bad
Mike (the Paladin)
Another pretty good L'Amour read. Five foot nine and hugely muscled Lando, another of the Sackett clan sets out from the Tennessee mountains to start a new life. His mother dead his father missing Lando has his troubles. "Pa", Falcon Sackett left a neighbor with 3 sacks of gold for the raising and schooling of his son Lando, but once it seemed clear that something had happened to Falcon and he wasn't coming back the neighbor stole the money, bought land and schooled his own son with the money me ...more
An Odd1
ISBN from 1980
Reviewed before
Grieving his wife, Falcon "Three heavy sacks of gold he passed over to Caffrey .. Care for him well, and every third coin is your own" p 270. But "too much for his principles to bear" p 271. Greedy wife whispers to kill narrator Orlando 11, who punches out their bullying son Duncan, and runs home at 12.

Lando lives five years on own, till arrival of roaming gypsy Tinker, famed for stee
I'm not really into westerns. This was the first one I had read. (I was bored, it was sitting there, so I read it.) It was about like I expected a western to be- stoic protagonist, grizzled heartless bad guys, knock-em sock-em fist fights, a few gun fights, a girl or two, horses... In the end it was entertaining and mostly forgettable.
Entertaing book but not quite up to par with the other books in the "Sackett" series. It's obvious that there was no birth control in the 1870's because if I can just find one more Sackett brother we'll be able to field a marching band.
Michael Kennard
Read most of Louis Lamour's books when I was in my late teens and early twenties. They are important to me as they were some of the first books that got me into the reading habit. For that I shall be forever grateful
Jim Peoples
Really enjoyed Louie L'Amour's newest character, Orlando. I was a little skeptical about how he would develop. Thought he was a little one-dimensional at first. But L'Amour developed him into a believable and likeable character. There's a sympathy and nobility he creates within Orlando. Taking him from the mountainous shack of Tennessee out into the wilds of Texas with only a Tinker for a friend and pregnant mare, L'Amour leads his character on the path to riches, and maybe a reunion with his lo ...more
Not my favorite one. Lando's personality was a little vague, as was the storyline. After finishing, I couldn't really tell you much about him, other than, that's he's big through the shoulders. Kind of a break from the others where the Sackett became like a close friend by the time the story was over.
The hunting for treasure that they never really did get and then the revenge on men that was sort of confused about why they made him was just all a little thrown together.
But Louis sure
Mackenzie Bakker
In this book of the wild west, Louis L'Amour writes about yet another member of the Sackett family. Orlando Sackett, known as Lando, lives in the mountains of Texas, alone since he was twelve, as his mother died at a young age and his father left him with another family. Said family, the Caffreys, took the money left to care for Lando and alienated him so far that he ran away into the mountains. Lando eventually leaves to seek his fortune, and ends up hunting a massive gold treasure left from th ...more
Jeff Dickison
This is not one of my favorite L'Amour tales. For one thing, it's too episodic for such a short novel. Secondly, the father's background story is much more interesting than the main story. Finally, there seems to be no reason for Marsha being involved in the tale. L'Amour is good, this one just doesn't quite live up to his standards.
People sometimes complain that all Mr. L'Amour books are the same. While I don't agree with that I do think there are elements that are generally there. In fact I look for and expect them to be there. I would probably be a bit disappointed if they were not. They were in Lando, and I was not disappointed.
Scott Lyson
Seemed it was just as well a man did not know where he was headed when he was to come only to this - a packet of empty flesh and clothes to end it all. In the end their hatred had bought them only this...only this, and the bitter years between.
Graham Bradley
In true Louis L'Amour fashion, this volume of the Sackett series moves quick, contains plenty of rich detail, and paints a colorful picture of an adventurous time period in American history.

Orlando Sackett is a foster son whose father disappeared years ago. Now that he's twenty, Lando sets off with the local tinker to settle elsewhere. Along the way he makes friends and enemies, then winds up in a Mexican prison for six years (a time period covered in a matter of sentences.) Then things get rea
William Chilton
Grabbed My Imagination

Lando held my attention. Having similar paths, it brought back memories from the Blue Ridge to West Texas, albeit I didn't have to fight.
Ryan Boomershine
My first L'Amour book. Enjoyed his simple (though predictable) narrative style. The man knows how to fit out a hero. Would be interested in reading more.
Steve Cobleigh
Some of the best described fight scenes you can read about. L'Amour had to have been there in mind and body to tell the tale so well.
Garth Mailman
Lando is one of Louis L’Amour’s 17-book Sacketts Series. Orlando Sackett sets out from his Hillbilly Log Cabin in the Blue Ridge to head West in part to escape a blood feud and to escape the family who swindled him out of his Father’s Spanish Gold. We learn about life in the hills, the brigands who haunt the Post Civil War back-country, and the perils of travel along the Mississippi. Distinguishing friend from foes is not always an obvious choice and being an obvious mark is dangerous.

Code of t
A good lesson in the truth that fighting your enemies is sometime necessary, but forgiving them is better in the long run. Only those like Lando are capable of this more courageous act.
Carol and Gary Curtis
The story started slowly but certainly picked up in the second half. The ending sequence was excellent.
My dad taught me to love Louis L'Amour. I love a good western. Lando is the best!
Jason Potrzeba
"Every man wishes to believe that when trouble appears he will stand up to it, yet no man knows it indeed before it happens..."
Interesting but not as good as the rest of the series
This one should really be 3.5 stars. It starts off fairly strong, then seriously lags in the middle. The lag comes as a surprise because, as other reviewers have noted, it has such a strong premise. The search for gold in Mexico should have been much more thrilling but nothing really seems to come of it. After Lando's capture and subsequent imprisonment, the story began to move at a much quicker pace. While there was never any doubt that Lando would payback those who had wronged him and his comp ...more
Anthony O'Brian
Loved this one! Great boxing!
Wade Wells
Louis L'Amour doesn't know how to write a bad book. While a part of the book didn't add up, a minor error, it was entertaining, full of revenge, action, and hand-to-hand, bare-knuckle brawling, and it kept me glued to the pages. The Sackett books are L'Amour's finest legacy in my opinion. I never get tired of reading them, though all his books I've read have been masterpieces. Even Ronald Reagan thought so (interesting to look up: Reagan and Louis L'Amour). Fine western writing if I ever done sa ...more
Another one bites the dust. This wasn't as good as the last two books, but I still liked it.
Dean Deters
One think I like about Louis L'Amour is that he takes his characters seriously, and really lets you learn a lot about them. I also like how his knowledge of the West comes through in his descriptions, and you end up learning some new things. Both of these are true in Lando. And as in most L'Amour novels, there is a mystery, and danger.
AS a die-hard L'Amour fan, this is one of my least favorite novels. Lando's personality is never fully fleshed out. The back cover is incredibly misleading. Just a boring novel. Definitely try one of his others. I would recommend Cherokee Trail, A Man Called Noon, Ride the River, and Iron Marshall to name a few.
Love the Sachette books, just went out and got a few more that I was missing from these, need 3 or 4 more to have a set. Love the book, it was like you are right in it along with the characters. I started and could not put it done. Will start book 1, when done with the current book.
Ryan Mishap
Imagine my disappointment when this was found to have absolutely nothing to do with Star Wars and Billy Dee William's character! Oh well, them Sacketts sure are tough (although I think there is one book about a Sackett who doesn't fight, you see, he's tough in other ways!).
  • The Family Jensen (The Family Jensen, #1)
  • Autumn of the Gun (Trail of the Gunfighter #3)
  • The Spirit of the Border
  • Shadow on the Sun
  • The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1)
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land
  • Sackett
  • Mojave Crossing
  • The Sackett Brand
  • The Sky-Liners
Last of the Breed Hondo Sackett's Land The Walking Drum The Lonesome Gods: A Novel