Start by marking “Arthur Meets the President: An Arthur Adventure” as Want to Read:
Arthur Meets the President: An Arthur Adventure

Arthur Meets the President: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Arthur is off to Washington D.C. to meet the President of the United States and recite his winning essay in front of everyone. But a gust of wind blows Arthur's trusty note cards away! Who can help him?
Published September 1st 1992 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published May 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur Meets the President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur Meets the President

Ronyell
“Arthur Meets the President” is one of the books from Marc Brown’s famous “Arthur” series that reflects Marc Brown’s own personal experience in visiting the White House. In this adventure, Arthur wins an essay contest and is invited to talk about his essay at the White House, but unfortunately, Arthur is extremely nervous about presenting his speech at the White House. “Arthur Meets the President” is definitely a heartwarming story about exploring the wonders of the White House and conquering st...more
Andrew
Executive. That's right. Arthur is going Executive, and you're gonna love it. And the whole crew rolls with. Moms. Pops. D.W. And of course, Buster, Francine, and the rest of Mr Ratburn's class head to the nation's Capitol. Also noticed that Arthur and D.W's parents have had another child. I think I see a spin-off series!
Kayla Spohr
This book is about Arthur, who wins a writing contest and gets to meet the president of the United States. He has a speck all prepared, but something happens to it, read to find out!
I would use this book in the classroom with a writing lesson, to explain the is one reason why we write.
Victoria
This book was awesome! Arthur won a contest for his class to meet the President. It talks about how nervous he was to recite his speech and how he was afraid that he was going to forget it all. Children reading this book can relate to those types of feelings when they have to talk in front of the class or something like that. They can understand what it is like to be that nervous. Also, Arthur's family was so supportive. His parents were encouraging him to relax and they tried to calm his nerves...more
Leah Puckett
This book is great to do a lesson on Presidents with. The book includes a variety of different subjects relating to the president such as the different sights in Washington, the White House, and how kids can write to the President. It can also be used to when talking about relationships, brother/sister, or friend/friend.

Learning Experience:
After reading the book, as a class think up a letter to write the president. The teacher would take chart paper and write out the sentences the kids were sa...more
Robert
Arthur needs Toastmasters!

I'm learning I am not a big Arthur fan. The stories are contrived. D.W. seems to rescue the story each time.

Stories that deal with school seem to have an idyllic notion that hearkens back to an earlier time. While this is fiction, the idea that an entire class would just get onto an airplane and travel to the White House stuns me. That would never happen. Ever!

The problem of the story is that Arthur is nervous about reciting his story to POTUS. But that wasn't what the...more
Kimberly Tardy
This book is a fantastic set induction to a unit or lesson on Presidents. The author provides a creative storyline to get the students interested in Presidents. The book disscusses a variety of different subjects relating to the president such as, the White House, diffferent sights in Washington, and how kids can write to the President and get a response. It can also be used to reinforce appropriate letter-writing structure. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to make the subject a little...more
Michelle King
I give this book 5 stars. This book is very entertaining. The story is about Arthur meeting the president. He wins an essay writing contest and he and his entire class takes a trip to the white house. He has some anxiety about reciting his essay to the president. This story would be a great story to turn into a lesson. You can use this story to have your students write letters to the President about how to make the country great. It helps the students think about their individual contributions t...more
La-Shanda
A lesson in civics through children literature
Tracy
Besides the classic "Arthur's Eyes," I think this is probably the best Arthur book I have ever read. The story is well-developed without the plot gaps found in some other Arthur books. I plan to use this book with my students when we learn about being a good citizen. It could also be used with a study of the federal government, or if you are planning to take your child or your class on a trip to Washington, D.C.
For adults--be sure to study the illustrations carefully! There are some details in...more
Ealthafer
Arthurs at it again! And he's meeting the president. I really love Arthur books because the pictures have so many hidden things inside them that help me pay close attention. I would deffintly suggest to read this book to a class before starting a history lesson on the president or before assigning a writing assignement about how to make America Great (because that is what Aruthur has to do) so reading this book would be a good hook. The book also has a couple neat facts about the white house.
Genny Flett
Arthur wins an essay contest and is invited to Washington DC to read his essay to the president. While there, Arthur visits different historical sights and learns about some US history. Before reading his essay to the president, he becomes very nervous. His note cards fly away but luckily he has his sister DW there to help him overcome his fears and recite his essay to the president.

A good book to use when talking about the presidents of the US or to introduce writing letters.
Sally Staples
I read this story to my Kindergarten students for President's Day and they enjoyed it. Arthur wins a contest and his whole class gets to go to the White House in Washington, D.C. Arthur has to give a speech at the White House in front of the President which makes him VERY nervous. When Arthur loses his cards for his speech, his sister, D.W., comes to his rescue and makes everyone laugh which relaxes Arthur so he can continue with his speech. Cute Story!!
Megan
Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-4th
Topic: Presidents
Curricular Uses: Read Aloud, Independent Reading
Reading Level: Transitional
Literary Elements: Dialogue, sequential plot
Illustrations: Simple illustrations that reinforce the text. Typical Arthur illustrations that are in all of the Arthur books.
Additional Comments: Good book that teaches about America. Not one of my favorites, but many children seem to like to read the Arthur books.
Elizabeth Leonard
I loved reading this book. This is a story of how Arthur won an essay contest and was able to go meet the president. He flies to go meet him and gets nervous. This is a great read for a third grade classroom. The pictures are abundant but the book is kind of long to attempt to get a younger student to it and read it. This is a great way to bring up essays in the classroom and you could then hold your own contest after reading the book.
Megan Rowland
For the Arthur lovers, such as myself, this book is good to read during social studies. The class has to write about what they think would make America great. While in Washington, they visit all the famous sites and explain them in ways children would enjoy instead of reading about it in a text book. It has a moral of the story which is we can help America great by helping others.
Pam
I actually liked the tv version of this story much better ... I remember DW getting lost and meeting the president instead of Arthur.
Dolly
Mar 01, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book about Arthur winning an essay contest that takes his entire class to Washington D.C. where he gets to meet the President. It's a fairly typical Arthur story, with the addition of an exciting trip. This edition of the story came with an audiocassette that our girls enjoyed listening to as they followed along with the story in the book.
Leslee Robinson
This book is about Arthur and his classmates trip to Washington D.C. Arthur wins an essay writing contest and he has to give his speech in front of the President. Its a fun entertaining book that also provides a lot of neat facts about our nation's capital. I think elementary kids would love this book and learn some new things as well.
Jenna Spinazzola
genre: picture book

audience: k - 4th

topic: presidents

curricular uses: read aloud, independent reading

reading level: transitional

literary elements: dialogue, sequential plot

illustrations: kind-of boring, but do reinforce the text

thoughts: not one of my favorite books to read to children.
Molly
As a huge fan of the television series, I was greatly disappointed at the lazy and sub-par writing of the books. The illustrations are very poorly done as well (especially if you have older editions of the books). Not good. just watch the show; it's on at seven on PBS every morning.
☆Brittany☆
Apr 30, 2009 ☆Brittany☆ rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
My son loves Arthur so he asked me to check out this book at the library.

The book offered a lot of good facts about Washington and the White House that I think is great for kids to learn. Kids need to learn more about the history of this country. It's good to start them off young.
Lisa
Aurthur wins a contest at school by writing an essay to the President on how he can help make America great.

Aurthur is told that he needs to recite his essay to the President and he worries about being able to remember the words. I won't give away the ending.
Miri
Arthur's class enters an essay contest, and the winner gets to read their speech at the white house in front of the President! When Arthur wins, it's off to Washington, but will he be able to remember his speech in front of so many people?
Liz Todd
Arthur wins a contest and gets to meet the president. Cool little features in which the other students give basic facts about different monuments in Washington DC. DW saves the day by helping Arthur when he was too nervous to speak.
Sharlene Spencer
Arthur has to give a speech to the president. He is very nervous. Read about his trip to Washington and how D.W saves the day.
This book can be used for a text to self lesson or national landmarks.
Shawn Elswick
This book was a good read and it would be a great read for young children. It didnt really have a moral to the story like most childrens book, but I love Arthur and I found it an interesting read.
Karley
Cute story that would be great to read during an election or when discussing the president. Includes many reference of monuments found in Washington. Great illustrations!
Tam
My 9-year-old liked this book a little more than my 4-year-old but they are both interested in the White House right now so it was fun to read a little bit about it.
alice
I would recommend this book to kids through the age of 7-10.I don't that the older kids would want to read a book the now call kiddy books.
  • Froggy Goes to Bed
  • Clifford at the Circus
  • The Berenstain Bears Don't Pollute (Anymore)
  • Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes
  • The Treasure Hunt: A Little Bill Book for Beginning Readers, Level 3
  • Fly Guy vs. the Flyswatter! (Fly Guy, #10)
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Curious George and the Dinosaur
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...
Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur Writes a Story (Arthur Adventure Series)