Start by marking “Arthur Meets the President: An Arthur Adventure” as Want to Read:
Arthur Meets the President: An Arthur Adventure

Arthur Meets the President: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)

Arthur is off to Washington D.C. to meet the President of the United States and recite his winning essay in front of everyone. But a gust of wind blows Arthur's trusty note cards away! Who can help him?
Published September 1st 1992 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published May 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur Meets the President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur Meets the President

James
May 17, 2015 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a little far-fetched. Usually I am completely immersed in what I call "The Arthurverse." I don't ask questions, and everything is highly believable and understandable. This story was just too wacky. All of a sudden we're in the nation's capital? And in the last Arthur book we're hanging out in his tree-house for a Bionic Bunny Fan Club Meeting? No way, Jose. This is fun as a "What If" sort of musing, but I gotta say it because nobody else here has the guts: THIS AIN'T CANON. At least I ...more
Andrew
Executive. That's right. Arthur is going Executive, and you're gonna love it. And the whole crew rolls with. Moms. Pops. D.W. And of course, Buster, Francine, and the rest of Mr Ratburn's class head to the nation's Capitol. Also noticed that Arthur and D.W's parents have had another child. I think I see a spin-off series!
Paiton Larson
Arthur’s teacher announces a contest that the President is holding to his class. Students are to write letters explaining how to make America great and the winner will get travel to Washington DC with their class to meet the president. Arthur wins the contest but is worried the entire week about forgetting his speech. When he finally gets to meet the president, D.W. helps lighten the mood and remind Arthur of his speech.

This book wasn't one of my favorite. There wasn't enough details given for
Jamie Bye
Mr. Ratburn, Arthur’s teacher, announces a contest that the President is holding. Students are to write letters explaining how to make America great and the winner will get travel to Washington DC with their class to meet the president. Arthur wins the contest but is worried the entire week about forgetting his speech. When he finally gets to meet the president, D.W. helps lighten the mood and remind Arthur of his speech. This book obviously goes with the theme of other Arthur books in that it i ...more
Rosa Cline
Very nice Arthur the aardvark book. He is afraid he will mess up his speech he has to remember and say to the President of the United States. He wins a contest and his whole class gets a trip to D.C. The author included facts about places around DC within this children in the story. And instead of DW being the irritating little sister, she is actually the hero of the story helping Arthur out in the end. Wonderful little story.
Steve Holden
This has been among the many books out as a February feature. I grew up with plenty of Arthur adventures, and I have several in my classroom library. This one isn't my favorite. It stays true to the series and characters, but feel it lacks details. A lot of D.C. connections are provided, but it doesn't elaborate for children any of the details or feelings of actually being in D.C.

I'm looking forward to wrapping up this current trend of picture books so we can move on to a new theme!
Ronyell
“Arthur Meets the President” is one of the books from Marc Brown’s famous “Arthur” series that reflects Marc Brown’s own personal experience in visiting the White House. In this adventure, Arthur wins an essay contest and is invited to talk about his essay at the White House, but unfortunately, Arthur is extremely nervous about presenting his speech at the White House. “Arthur Meets the President” is definitely a heartwarming story about exploring the wonders of the White House and conquering st ...more
Johara Almogbel
A) Arthur is one of my favorite cartoons of all time. I still watch it with my mouth hanging open from utter absorption.

... Okay, so maybe I still watch most cartoons with all my attention but still. Arthur's the one I enjoy the mostest.

B) The TV series is based on the books, not vice versa, which is pretty neat. And while I was reading this I could hear everybody's voice as I read out their narrative, which was really fun.

C) DW is surprisingly helpful and nice in this one. Also Francine's wear
Kimberly OutspokenMom
This book is a fantastic set induction to a unit or lesson on Presidents. The author provides a creative storyline to get the students interested in Presidents. The book disscusses a variety of different subjects relating to the president such as, the White House, diffferent sights in Washington, and how kids can write to the President and get a response. It can also be used to reinforce appropriate letter-writing structure. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to make the subject a little ...more
Robert
Arthur needs Toastmasters!

I'm learning I am not a big Arthur fan. The stories are contrived. D.W. seems to rescue the story each time.

Stories that deal with school seem to have an idyllic notion that hearkens back to an earlier time. While this is fiction, the idea that an entire class would just get onto an airplane and travel to the White House stuns me. That would never happen. Ever!

The problem of the story is that Arthur is nervous about reciting his story to POTUS. But that wasn't what the
Victoria
Aug 28, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome! Arthur won a contest for his class to meet the President. It talks about how nervous he was to recite his speech and how he was afraid that he was going to forget it all. Children reading this book can relate to those types of feelings when they have to talk in front of the class or something like that. They can understand what it is like to be that nervous. Also, Arthur's family was so supportive. His parents were encouraging him to relax and they tried to calm his nerves ...more
Leah Puckett
Oct 16, 2012 Leah Puckett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: moods
This book is great to do a lesson on Presidents with. The book includes a variety of different subjects relating to the president such as the different sights in Washington, the White House, and how kids can write to the President. It can also be used to when talking about relationships, brother/sister, or friend/friend.

Learning Experience:
After reading the book, as a class think up a letter to write the president. The teacher would take chart paper and write out the sentences the kids were sa
Michelle King
Mar 28, 2011 Michelle King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this book 5 stars. This book is very entertaining. The story is about Arthur meeting the president. He wins an essay writing contest and he and his entire class takes a trip to the white house. He has some anxiety about reciting his essay to the president. This story would be a great story to turn into a lesson. You can use this story to have your students write letters to the President about how to make the country great. It helps the students think about their individual contributions t ...more
Tracy
Aug 01, 2010 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides the classic "Arthur's Eyes," I think this is probably the best Arthur book I have ever read. The story is well-developed without the plot gaps found in some other Arthur books. I plan to use this book with my students when we learn about being a good citizen. It could also be used with a study of the federal government, or if you are planning to take your child or your class on a trip to Washington, D.C.
For adults--be sure to study the illustrations carefully! There are some details in
Megan
Oct 16, 2008 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-4th
Topic: Presidents
Curricular Uses: Read Aloud, Independent Reading
Reading Level: Transitional
Literary Elements: Dialogue, sequential plot
Illustrations: Simple illustrations that reinforce the text. Typical Arthur illustrations that are in all of the Arthur books.
Additional Comments: Good book that teaches about America. Not one of my favorites, but many children seem to like to read the Arthur books.
Robyn
This story takes the beloved cast of the Arthur animated show and tells the story of how Arthur wins an essay contest and gets to travel to Washington D.C. along with his whole class. There, Arthur learns about our nation's government especially the executive branch when he gets to meet the President. This book is a great way to introduce the concept of government to young students and help them to personally identify with an otherwise abstract and distant concept.
Elizabeth Leonard
I loved reading this book. This is a story of how Arthur won an essay contest and was able to go meet the president. He flies to go meet him and gets nervous. This is a great read for a third grade classroom. The pictures are abundant but the book is kind of long to attempt to get a younger student to it and read it. This is a great way to bring up essays in the classroom and you could then hold your own contest after reading the book.
Kaitlyn Powell
Sep 24, 2016 Kaitlyn Powell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-230
I loved Arther as a child and even today I think that Marc Brown did a great job teaching lessons to children through his books and the tv show. This book would be fabulous to use during an election year or when talking about the branches of government. I would encourage kids to brainstorm ways that they could help make America great or what they would say if they were able to meet the president.
Ealthafer
Mar 31, 2011 Ealthafer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arthur, history
Arthurs at it again! And he's meeting the president. I really love Arthur books because the pictures have so many hidden things inside them that help me pay close attention. I would deffintly suggest to read this book to a class before starting a history lesson on the president or before assigning a writing assignement about how to make America Great (because that is what Aruthur has to do) so reading this book would be a good hook. The book also has a couple neat facts about the white house.
Sally Staples
Feb 26, 2012 Sally Staples rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I read this story to my Kindergarten students for President's Day and they enjoyed it. Arthur wins a contest and his whole class gets to go to the White House in Washington, D.C. Arthur has to give a speech at the White House in front of the President which makes him VERY nervous. When Arthur loses his cards for his speech, his sister, D.W., comes to his rescue and makes everyone laugh which relaxes Arthur so he can continue with his speech. Cute Story!!
Genny Flett
Arthur wins an essay contest and is invited to Washington DC to read his essay to the president. While there, Arthur visits different historical sights and learns about some US history. Before reading his essay to the president, he becomes very nervous. His note cards fly away but luckily he has his sister DW there to help him overcome his fears and recite his essay to the president.

A good book to use when talking about the presidents of the US or to introduce writing letters.
Jenna Spinazzola
genre: picture book

audience: k - 4th

topic: presidents

curricular uses: read aloud, independent reading

reading level: transitional

literary elements: dialogue, sequential plot

illustrations: kind-of boring, but do reinforce the text

thoughts: not one of my favorite books to read to children.

Interest Level
Reading
Civics and Government
The Presidency
Leslee Robinson
This book is about Arthur and his classmates trip to Washington D.C. Arthur wins an essay writing contest and he has to give his speech in front of the President. Its a fun entertaining book that also provides a lot of neat facts about our nation's capital. I think elementary kids would love this book and learn some new things as well.
Megan Rowland
Jan 21, 2012 Megan Rowland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arthur
For the Arthur lovers, such as myself, this book is good to read during social studies. The class has to write about what they think would make America great. While in Washington, they visit all the famous sites and explain them in ways children would enjoy instead of reading about it in a text book. It has a moral of the story which is we can help America great by helping others.
Dolly
Feb 28, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book about Arthur winning an essay contest that takes his entire class to Washington D.C. where he gets to meet the President. It's a fairly typical Arthur story, with the addition of an exciting trip. This edition of the story came with an audiocassette that our girls enjoyed listening to as they followed along with the story in the book.
Miri
Nov 15, 2013 Miri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arthur
Arthur's class enters an essay contest, and the winner gets to read their speech at the white house in front of the President! When Arthur wins, it's off to Washington, but will he be able to remember his speech in front of so many people?
Liz Todd
Arthur wins a contest and gets to meet the president. Cool little features in which the other students give basic facts about different monuments in Washington DC. DW saves the day by helping Arthur when he was too nervous to speak.
Lisa
Feb 06, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Aurthur wins a contest at school by writing an essay to the President on how he can help make America great.

Aurthur is told that he needs to recite his essay to the President and he worries about being able to remember the words. I won't give away the ending.
Kayla Spohr
This book is about Arthur, who wins a writing contest and gets to meet the president of the United States. He has a speck all prepared, but something happens to it, read to find out!
I would use this book in the classroom with a writing lesson, to explain the is one reason why we write.
  • Fox and His Friends
  • Biscuit's Day at the Farm
  • Mushroom in the Rain
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Partners
  • America: A Patriotic Primer
  • Roses Are Pink, Your Feet Really Stink
  • How To Catch A Heffalump (Disney's Pooh)
  • The Berenstain Bears Go Back to School
  • Chicken Little
  • Groundhog Gets a Say
  • Angelina and Henry
  • Dinner with OLIVIA
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...

Arthur Adventure Series (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Chicken Pox: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Teacher Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Underwear (Arthur Adventure Series)