Start by marking “A Secret Proposal (Secret Brides, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
A Secret Proposal (Secret Brides, #1.5)
Preview

A Secret Proposal (Secret Brides #1.5)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  27 reviews
After reading a scandalous pamphlet entitled SECRETS OF A WEDDING NIGHT, Miss Amelia Templeton cried off from her engagement. But her mother is set on seeing her daughter land a peer before the end of the Season. Amelia will do her duty. This time she has a list of the oldest, and most titled men in the ton who are looking for a wife. She'll marry one of them. But first sh ...more
Published January 1st 2013 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about A Secret Proposal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Secret Proposal

Melody May
Originally posted on What I'm Reading

I hope y'all had a nice day yesterday. If not, I'm sorry. Anyways. Yesterday I finished A Secret Proposal by Valerie Bowman. I must say I really enjoyed this story. So, here we go:

The last time we saw Amelia Templeton, she kind of was a little bit rude to Lily. Partly because Lily basically took away Colton from her. Yeah, I know not sporting, but always fair love and war, right?

Well, Amelia reemerge after a couple months and determination to find a husband
Valerie Bowman
Aug 31, 2014 Valerie Bowman added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this novella because I just couldn't leave poor Amelia hanging and I could NOT allow Lily to act so badly and not apologize and do right by her. Girl power!
PY
description

YES. ME. THAT. SMILE.
Practically my reaction after reading the book.

(view spoiler)
Kristen
Perfect quick read for a cold winter weekend! Really saucy and fun. I loved that you did not have to know the background of Amelia and Lily in order to enjoy this racy romp (though I do and highly recommend reading Secrets of a Wedding Night to find out)! Well executed, to the point and I don't feel like I was left hanging, as so many novella's can do. Enjoy!
Maria
Valerie Bowman has quickly made it to my auto-read list. With this fun debut series, her stories make me smile and laugh. For my full review: http://bit.ly/18ZOGoR
Ashlyn Macnamara
Another fun bit of a romp from Ms. Bowman. I'm glad Amelia got her story and her man and that she was able to make amends with Lily and Devon.
Selena Fulton
Great story! This author did not disappoint me.
Melanie
It is such a pleasure and a relief when an author decides to give one of her secondary characters a second chance at love. In this short and definitely sweet and sensual novella, Valerie Bowman does just that. She revisits Amelia Templeton, a naïve girl of only eighteen that was engaged to the hero of her début novel ‘Secrets of a Wedding Night’. I, for one, was very happy she did because despite her behavior in that novel, I liked her.

We finally get a better picture as to Amy’s character and th
Sally Kilpatrick
This is a short read!

It's also the perfect little story to read while making supper.

Amy plans to marry an old man with a title to make her mother happy, but she wants to know what a wedding night *should* be before condemning herself to such a fate. Fortunately, her late brother's friend is just the perfect candidate. . . and he owes her a favor.
*MariaA*
The guy on the cover, took my breath away!! oh boy;) the chiselled jaw with a cleft in the chin! Yo mamma LOL!

photo hot_zpsbb6c87c1.gif
Chriscilla Quintana
Awesome storyline. I did't care too much for Amelia in Secrets of a Wedding Night but, I grew to like her in this book. Great job, Valerie.
Marie
Loved it Valerie, can't wait for the next one!
Helen
A great novella I really enjoyed this one
Cari
Great novella! Loved the couple and the story!
Claudi
Short but good!
Thenia
My review for this short story somehow disappeared, so I'm writing a new one a few weeks and books after reading it.. I remember that I liked the story and the two heroes' relationship both at first and later when it turns romantic.

Amelia is the good girl who always does what her mother wants her to do in a vain effort to please her. Thad is her late brother's best friend and someone her mother accuses for his death. The two keep a letter correspondence for years before having to stop because of
Joy
I found the story quite amusing and it's impressive how a short story came to tell the reader a lot.

We met Amelia Templeton in the first book and we'll read some "behind the scenes" of what happened when she cried off her engagement to the marquis. It's sad how she needed to be the one to be perfect and she always comes up short. Her parents are never satisfied with whatever she does and she's still under her mother's control.

Reuniting with Thad Hammond did wonders for her, and for him as well
Limau Nipis
What happened to Miss Amelia Templeton after she broke off her engagement with the hero of Secrets of A Wedding Night?

She realised she need an old husband, so that the old bloke could die quickly and then she can be free from her overbearing mother.

She need a lesson about the acts after marriage, and ask for the help of the deceased brother's best friend, Mr. Thaddeus Hammond.

This is a delightful novella and a quick read.
Jen
This tells the story of Amelia Templeton, the woman who cried off marriage from Colton in Secrets of a Wedding Night. Yearning to learn the real secrets of a wedding night, she turns to her late brother's best friend with a scandalous proposal.

It was nice to read Amelia's story -- I felt a little bad for her in Secrets of a Wedding Night. I have to say, just in general, I find it hard to adjust to the shorter romance novella style of novels. I prefer the richer, more in depth look at things a fu
Kalinya

Characters were well-drawn and in keeping with the time - and for me that has become a HUGE plus in recent weeks; but there was something about the heroine that sort of left me ambivalent. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, I need to be able to see heroes and heroines as someone I would like to know and be friends with - for me, that is the acid test. I couldn't quite make that connection with this heroine.

I did feel for Thad, though.

This one is sufficiently different to the rest to warr
Barbara
Amelia was so scared of a wedding night she broke her engagement to a peer. Now her mother is forcing her into another engagement. She turns to her brother's best freind, the one who was responsible for his death, Thad. She asks him to give her a wedding night because she trusts him. Very predictable but worthwhile for the $$.

novella which follows Secrets of a Wedding Night
Eliza
Average novella that has a sound plot line but unfortunately is rushed with missed opportunities.
I never understand why authors insist on writing a novella when the story can be so very much more with a little room to grow.
Penny
I love that the writer is giving stories to the minor characters, but it just feels like she is skipping parts to make this a novella.
Mokona
4.5/5 stars
Carey
Carey marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Rose Henry
Rose Henry marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright
  • With This Kiss: Part Two
  • The Perks of Being a Beauty (Ugly Ducklings, #3.5)
  • Sweet Madness (Veiled Seduction, #3)
  • The Courtship (Windham #0.5)
  • To All the Rakes I've Loved Before (Honeycote, #1.5)
  • Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • In the Barrister's Bed (Regency Barrister, #2)
  • Undone (Fiery Tales, #4)
  • Christmas Brides
  • And Then Comes Marriage (Worthington, #2)
  • The Earl with the Secret Tattoo (House of Brady, #1.5)
  • Ten Reasons to Stay (School For Heiresses, #2.5)
  • Desire Wears Diamonds (Jaded Gentleman, #6)
  • The Trouble With Being a Duke (At the Kingsborough Ball, #1)
  • The Earl in My Bed (Forgotten Princesses, #2.5)
Valerie Bowman is an award-winning author who writes Regency-set historical romance novels aka Racy Regency Romps!

Valerie’s debut novel was published in 2012. Since then, her books have received starred reviews from Publisher’s Weekly, Booklist, and Kirkus. She’s been an RT Reviewers’ Choice nominee for Best First Historical Romance and Best Historical Romance Love and Laughter. Two of her books h
More about Valerie Bowman...

Secret Brides (6 books)
  • Secrets of a Wedding Night (Secret Brides, #1)
  • Secrets of a Runaway Bride (Secret Brides, #2)
  • A Secret Affair (Secret Brides #2.5)
  • Secrets of a Scandalous Marriage (Secret Brides, #3)
  • It Happened Under The Mistletoe (Secret Brides, #3.5)
Secrets of a Wedding Night (Secret Brides, #1) The Unexpected Duchess (Playful Brides, #1) Secrets of a Runaway Bride (Secret Brides, #2) The Accidental Countess (Playful Brides, #2) Secrets of a Scandalous Marriage (Secret Brides, #3)