The Soddit: Or, Cashing in Again

The Soddit: Or, Cashing in Again (Cardboard Box of the Rings #1)

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  38 reviews
In the grand tradition of the parody bestseller Bored of the Rings, this uproarious literary spoof follows the Tolkienesque adventures of Bingo "Sac" Grabbings, a rather unremarkable Soddit of Upper Middle Earth. He ventures forth (despite very sore and swollen feet indeed!) alongside Gandef the Coughing Wizard and a band of psoriasis-scratching, who-knows-what's-in-the-pi...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 343 pages
Published September 1st 2003 by Gollancz (first published 2003)

Blak Rayne
Originally published in 2003, I can’t say that The Soddit - tag line ‘If we likess it, then we putss a ring on it…’ written by A.R.R.R. Roberts was a favourite read, or that it was the worst I’ve come across. The deliberate exaggeration of characters, play on names, long-winded explanations and half-a-page-in-length sentences were quite amusing initially and I did laugh on occasion, but then the story became a bit tedious by the end. But, on the other hand, Mr. Roberts addition of droll sarcasm...more
Jen
Any time you read a parody of one of your favorite books, it's hard to judge the parody fairly. That said, this tried; it had enough of a twist that it was a legitimately interesting book on its own (I really like what Roberts did with the dragon and the spiders, for instance) but it fell a little flat in its dependence on the one-liner. And the footnotes--while it's funny to lampoon how overly scholastic Tolkien was, some of the footnotes were just downright silly, and not in a funny kind of wa...more
Tim
The Soddit, a parody of The Hobbit. Like Bored Of The Rings, I haven't read the original yet. I might do so in the future. Anyway, Bored Of The Rings was quite a funny book, all things considered. The Soddit, however, didn't offer that instant satisfaction. It took a while to get or appreciate the (often dry) humour.

Still, after some chapters the magic does begin to work. Obviously it's best to read such a book when you're in the mood for it, when you're in need of a laugh, especially, for examp...more
Ian
As someone who enjoys nearly all types of humor, this book immediately caught my eye when I came across it in some used book store. The silly names of places on the world map, the goofy illustrations (the first one I saw involved our hero, "Bingo," stepping on a solid), and the quirky writing style amused me when I skimmed it, so I bought it for $3. I honestly felt like I had struck gold.

It wasn't until I'd progressed partway through that the reason this book had been abandoned in a used book st...more
Geert Daelemans
A Hobbit with a vengeance

Like every Soddit Bingo Grabbins enjoys a comfortable life and violently attacks anyone who dares to endanger this goal, as long as the opposition is much smaller than him, that is. Indeed Bingo can be a real pain in a dark cave, certainly when one treads on his extremely painful feet. So it is no wonder that when Gandef and his company of brainless Welsh dwarves force him to go on a long and tedious adventure that Bingo is far from happy and never misses an opportunity...more
Mark
It may have come to your attention that on the 20th September 2012 it was the 75th anniversary of the publication of JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit and in particular Bilbo Baggins. Others may be aware of the impending premiere of Peter Jackson’s film version (or at least the first part) in December.

This is, according to the front cover, ‘Absolutely NOT the tie-in to the major films of Tolkien’s classic novel’, though readers who have read The Hobbit may be aware of some aspects of this tale. Mind you,...more
Katy
Jun 01, 2007 Katy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Tolkien (and has a twisted sense of humour)
blashpemy... of the funny sort.
I don't really know quite how to describe this one yet, as I'm only about halfway through... The individual elements of the story are there, nice and comfortable, right where they should be- the details have this dark, twisted spin on them (changing of names, personalities, exaggeration of character flaws, etc.) so that the tale as a whole is only vaguely familiar...
Reading this one almost feels like having a dream about a familiar place where everything is just d...more
Arthur
Waste of your time

The book is so terrible, I cannot believe someone can write such a gibberish. It looks like an author has never been told that his sense of humour is unacceptable. It reminds me of a hopeless guy who cannot master an art of telling a joke and make others laugh. Whenever he tells a joke, other people would smile and nod their heads politely, but never tell the joker how really bad he is. The book lacks everything. It is not funny, it is utterly boring and its so called humour is...more
Lynsey Davidson
I think I only managed about 50 pages of this pointless book and I could not find it in myself to bother reading it until the end. As much as I am a fan of Tolkien's work this book was just dull and I found myself skimming over sentences. Was it supposed to be funny because I barely laughed. I really expected this to be laugh out loud funny but it really did not live up to that. The illustrations throughout were the only redeeming feature of this book.
Utterly disappointing and I am glad that I o...more
Matt
Really enjoyed the book but I feel you have to have the right daft sense if humour and have read the hobbit to really get the full fun factor out of the book!
I would recommend the book as something to read to put a smile on your face and allow you to escape the mundane reality for a a bit! Don't be surprised if you find yourself chuckling out loud as you read it!
Sabrina Van Goethem
Sabrina Van Goethem marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Haley Mathiot
This was a fast funny read. I've read The Hobbit and seen the movie (the old animated one!) and I love the story... and the silliness of The Soddit was delightful.

The reader was fabulous, though a bit abrasive, and at times I couldn't quite understand what words were being said because of a thick accent or voice, but it was all together enjoyable.
Janet
The writing style is exactly the same as in Da Vinci Cod. Maybe that’s to be expected since both were written by the same man, but is Adam Roberts (his “official” pseudonym) really that untalented? The Hobbit and The Da Vinci Code were written in radically different styles, but Roberts doesn’t even attempt to make his parodies sound different.
Sasha Strader
Rare is the book that I really can not read. This book fit that category and ran off with it. Far from the Terry-Pratchett-like mockery that I thought I was getting, this book was full of half-hearted puns and the kinds of jokes a 14 year old boy would make.

In short: don't bother.
Jim Vaden
I only read this because I'm a big Tolkien fan, but it was the worst "parody" I've ever read. With name changes only a vowel away from Tolkien's originals, the story is terribly shallow and the characters are ridiculously foolish. A terrible read...
Bryan Richard
It was definitely different no doubt about that. A spoof of Tolkien's The Hobbit. And as I was reading the last few pages I discovered there is a spoof out about this book. It's called The Spuddit. A spoof of The Soddit. Interesting!
Del de la Mare
Despite myself I rather enjoyed this book.
The jokes, puns and witticisms were laid on rather thick and very unrelenting, but I had to laugh at the Welsh dwarves/dwarfs and the rather effete, Wilde quoting Elves.
Stuart Aken
Disappointing. A great opportunity for some real wit and all we get is puerile schoolboy humour. Such a shame. I'm glad I only paid a quid for this from a charity shop, which is where it will be returning.
Steve Mitchell
To be called a genuine comedy parody, then there should be some actual jokes included that are actually funny; the last couple of chapters just saved this book from falling foul of the trade descriptions act.
HILARIOUS!!!
I love the alternate names given to the characters!
Bilbo, Bingo.
Thorin, Thorri.
Smaug, Smug.
Gandalf, Gandef....and *SPOILER ALERT* hes actually def for half the book.
Morgan Bruyneel
Only enjoyable when you are well-versed in fantasy and science-fiction and even then I say 'enjoyable' by lack of a more accurate less positive and more accurate word.
Aaron
This was a fun idea to do, but I felt that part way through I just wanted it to end. The humour left really quickly.
Alex
Alright; had me smiling to myself at a few points, though I think that Bored of the Rings would be funnier.
Lindsay
This book had some interesting twists on the Hobbit, but it wasn't as amusing as I'd hoped.
Jean Emmerich
Not as good as I thought of after a friend of mine showed it to me.
A little too strange.
Lily E
Not as good as bored of the rings, and more extense, it's still a very funny read.
Aywen
Very funny at first, but soon got a bit predictable. The drawings are very nice! :D
Adrienne
An excellent spoof on Tolkien in the mind frame of Pratchett and Gaiman.
☯Bettie☯
Bingo Sac Grabbins is asked by the coughing wizard Gandef and some (oddly Welsh) dwarves to help them relieve the great dragon Smug of his gold. SF author and Tolkien scholar Adam Roberts has written a parody that is both hilarious and intelligent. With knowing digs at the fantasy genre in general and the mystique that has built around middle earth in particular this will make Tolkien's 21st century readers laugh in a way that BORED OF THE RINGS made his fans of 1969 laugh.

I rolled into this at...more
John somers
Parody of the hobbit. Funny in places, but not great.
  • Barry Trotter and the Dead Horse (Barry Trotter, #3)
  • Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • Apocalypso
  • Colony
  • Terribly Twisted Tales
  • Master of Space and Time
  • Bad Prince Charlie
  • Only Human
  • The New Discworld Companion
  • Wrath of Ashar (The Book of the Kingdoms, #1)
  • There Goes the Galaxy
  • La Guerre des Loups (La Moïra, #2)
  • A Shout For The Dead (The Ascendants of Estorea, #2)
  • Writ in Stone (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #2)
  • A Tapestry of Dreams (Tales of Jernaeve, #1)
  • Shadowrun 15: Burning Bright

Adam Roberts (born 1965) is an academic, critic and novelist. He also writes parodies under the pseudonyms of A.R.R.R. Roberts, A3R Roberts and Don Brine. He also blogs at The Valve, a group blog devoted to literature and cultural studies.

He has a degree in English from the...more
More about Adam Roberts...
Yellow Blue Tibia Jack Glass Stone By Light Alone New Model Army