Start by marking “Escucha Means Listen” as Want to Read:
Escucha Means Listen

Escucha Means Listen

From the mowing of the lawn to the splish-splashing of rain puddles, Talia Aikens-Nuñez’s bilingual picture book Escucha Means Listen introduces toddlers and babies to the sweet sounds around them.

Take a journey through the world—just listening. Escucha Means Listen helps children discover sounds around them in English and Spanish.
ebook
Published November 30th 2012 by Musa Publishing (first published November 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Escucha Means Listen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escucha Means Listen

Renee
Jan 07, 2013 Renee rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
My son (6) and I read and reviewed this book as part of the Escucha Means Listen Blog Tour. Full review is posted on http://MotherDaughterBookReviews.com. We received a free copy in exchange for our honest opinion.

SON SAYS:

This book is about a girl who speaks English and Spanish. I liked the pictures and the cover. I liked the one with the lightning. I noticed that two of the pictures were the same – the one of the girl with her finger on her lips. That was my least favorite one because the lips
Melissa
Jan 02, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings on January 11, 2013.

Escucha Means Listen is a delightful children's book that will teach children and adults alike basic Spanish words. There are several different fun sounds for readers to hear, and learn the words for, including the sounds of the lawn mower, sounds of squirrels running through the trees and bells ringing in the tower. The book is well illustrated with bright and cheerful pictures. Each of the Spanish words has it'
Katie
Dec 21, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully illustrated children’s book, I love how the little girl looks and acts like a typical child. All the sounds that are mentioned are normal sounds found around the average neighbourhood.

Follow the little girl listening to all the sounds around the yard, from buzzy bees to dogs barking, from storms to jumping in puddles.

My five year old son and two year old daughter loved listening to and looking at the pictures. Such a delightful little book that teachers children to escucha
Heidi
What a cute book! This is a fun way to teach children about sounds as well as Spanish and English terms for those sounds. The illustrations are bright and cheerful and illustrate the words perfectly. One of my pet peeves is when the illustrations don't match the texts. That is not a problem here. The only thing that would have made it better would be a pronunciation guide for those who don't speak Spanish. Other than that I can recommend the book highly as a fun way to introduce children to the ...more
Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf
I love the concept behind this cute little picture book! I personally think it is a great idea to expose children to as many cultures and languages as possible when they are young and still little sponges welcoming in knowledge. I also love nature and adored most of the sounds that the little girl heard:) The sprinkling of Spanish was just enough to expose little ears to a new tongue and teach a few fun words without overwhelming and the illustrations were extremely colorful and fun and lent a g ...more
Pragya
Jan 04, 2013 Pragya rated it really liked it
I found Escucha Means Listen to be a very cute little book that makes for a perfect read for toddlers and babies to learn new words and discover different sounds. Each page has a picture to engage their attention and the children will enjoy saying out loud the sound words.

The colorful pictures will help them make sense of the word and it can also be used to help familiarize them with words in Spanish and English.

Overall, a wonderful book for babies.
Andrea
Jan 04, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it
I thought this was such a cute book! I read it with my five-year-old, and we had a good time learning how to say different phrases in Spanish. The illustrations were great too. This is a fun children's book that is definitely worth reading with your young kids.

My only hang-up was that I wasn't sure if I was pronouncing the Spanish words correctly. Thanks to pronunciation sites online, you can hear the correct pronunciation, but a pronunciation guide in the book would be great.
Mary (BookHounds)
MY THOUGHTS
LOVED IT

This adorable picture book with just the right amount of words gets across a wonderful bilingual story. I can imagine reading this one out loud to a young person and imitating all of the sounds in the story. I read this on my iPad and the quality of the images were spectacular. This little book packs a big punch as far as learning opportunities since it covers two languages and even works in sounds. I really enjoyed this book.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
5 star book that is not only educational, but beautifully illustrated with an amazingly engaging story! I love that I can learn along side by children while reading a fun children's book. I highly recommend this bilingual gem!
Sue
Jan 02, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing
Review to follow
Bea
I love when childrens books are available in languages other than English or in multiple languages such as this book. They introduce children to other languages and cultures, build their vocabulary and language skills and can assist in providing much needed diversity in a classroom. Working in a toddler room, with children who speak American, Hindi, Spanish, and Mandarin, it can be a challenge finding appropriate books.

"Escucha Means Listen" is written primarily in American English. Each page ha
Sher A. Hart
Jan 14, 2013 Sher A. Hart rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
I wish I had kids around when I read Escucha Means Listen. I thought it was a cute book with fun illustrations. I'm picky about art, and I liked the color contrasts, focal points, and highlights. My favorite was the light coming through the leaves.

As for the text, it made a great way to teach Spanish along with good listening skills. However, I know very little Spanish and have forgotten most of my high school French, so I'm still not sure I got the words right. I would recommend a pronunciation
Amanda Miller /A Bookaholic's Fix: Feeding the Addiction
This is a cute book. The story focuses on the sounds that children hear in the world around them: bees, birds, trucks, rain... As you can see from the excerpt above, the English translation for the Spanish words are in parentheses after the word making it easy for the children (and parents) to learn the words in both languages.

I personally love bilingual texts like this. It gives some children the opportunity to celebrate their heritage and others the chance to increase understanding of the worl
Jinky
Dec 17, 2012 Jinky rated it liked it
Here is a book that provided introduction to few simple Spanish words translated to English. As a picture book, it was geared to be read to young children to learn particular words through a theme ...What do you hear? (see excerpt below). Having such a theme made this book move smoothly. Also, the illustrations were exceptionally appealing and easy on the eyes (kudos to illustrator, Dina Ashraf Hemi!).

I did have a couple of qualms. One was the answer to what was making the "Vrrr! Vrrr!" sound .
Margie aka The Bumble Girl
Jan 30, 2013 Margie aka The Bumble Girl rated it it was amazing
Escucha Means Listen is an adorable children's picture book that is in English and Spanish. And whether your native language is English/Spanish, this is a wonderful fun book to introduce another language to your child.
The book emphasizes on listening carefully to the things we hear outside. It is a great way to get your child to pay attention to the world around them - learn to really listen, especially to the words that are being read to them; and they will easily be able to picture the sounds
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Babies and Toddlers will have fun reciting English to Spanish or Spanish to English sounds. Adults will enjoy watching and listening to their little ones learn a new language while they listening to common sounds that exist in every day life. The colorful images depict the words that are being read and recited. Kids love to repeat commercials and things they hear other people say why not encourage the sounds they hear. Looking at the images of birds, animals, trucks, and more the child in no tim ...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
Jan 18, 2013 Dena (Batch of Books) rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
More reviews on my blog: Books for Kids
I always love seeing books that involve or teach another language. My kids enjoy reading them and learning new words. Escucha Means Listen is a fun book to read for that reason. There are a lot of Spanish words in this book that you don't see in other children's books. It was fun to learn the words for things that are around us all the time.

There is no story going on here, just a girl experiencing the world around her. The way it is written is engaging, an
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Jan 08, 2013 Aimee (Getting Your Read On) rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-for-review
My kids are too old for picture books now so I don't get to read them very often. This is a book I would've loved to have read to them.

I love the basic introduction to some words from the Spanish language. The Spanish language is so pretty. Because I am not fluent in Spanish and can remember very little from my two years in high school Spanish, I wish the book had a pronunciation guide for parents in the back so I knew I was saying the words correctly.

The pictures are simple and have pretty co
Heather
Dec 31, 2015 Heather rated it liked it
The illustrations are colorful and absolutely lovely. The story is a cute one about what a child might hear throughout their neighborhood. It gives youngsters – and their parents – a bite-sized introduction to learning Spanish words and phrases. The story is cute and told in a manner that kids will just love. I know this because I read it to my own kiddos (the youngest is 5), and they approve! :-)

The only improvement I can think of would be to have a pronunciation guide so parents get it right w
Ruth Hill
Jan 13, 2013 Ruth Hill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, 2013-reads
Another wonderful kid's book with beautiful pictures and simple-to-read words. This is the perfect book for introducing English and Spanish at the same time to your little kids. I mean preschool age, maybe even kindergarten. Experts say that the best time to teach kids another language is right as they are learning their first language. The words are in both Spanish and English, and the picture illustrate the story wonderfully. You certainly couldn't find a better book for use in a regular class ...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Mar 02, 2013 Erik This Kid Reviews Books rated it it was amazing
A girl listens to the world around her. What she hears and sees is told in Spanish and English.

I have a special interest in bilingual books and I LOVED this one! I am trying to learn a different language (I am taking French and Latin classes) and my sister, Josie, is taking a Spanish class. Even though books like this one are meant for younger kids, they are great for older kids (like me) who want to learn words from other languages. The illustrations are great and I like the idea of the girl ju
Disincentive/Feta
Jan 08, 2013 Disincentive/Feta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
EXCERPT AND GIVEAWAY: http://disincentive-reviews.blogspot....

I should write it at the beginning - I don't speak Spanish. At all.
Escucha means listen is a cute illustrated book for children. I think it's an amazing way to learn some words in easy and funny way. Words are taken from daily life, for example: neighbor, little birds, rain.
Illustrations are big (almost whole page) and in my opinion - they are really pretty.
Esucha means listen teaches kids to be quiet for a while and think about wo
Rae Ryans
Jan 03, 2013 Rae Ryans rated it it was amazing
This sweet story gives young children and new readers a bilingual approach to the everyday sounds. Written in both Spanish and English, we follow the sounds our children hear daily, and are curious about, but present the questions and answers in both languages.
Overall we loved the colorful illustrations the story offered and we loved the bilingual aspect. Introducing children to different languages and cultures at an early age will always get an A+ in my book. I recommend this story for bilingu
Teresa Kander
Feb 06, 2015 Teresa Kander rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for introducing children to a second language. It takes sounds that are familiar and presents the words for them in both English and Spanish. The pictures are bright and colorful, and the words on each page are minimal. The only thing that would have made it better would be a pronunciation guide for those who don't speak Spanish.I plan to share it with my five year old grandson, and am sure that he will have me reading it again and again.

**I was given a copy of this book in
Bj Gaskill
Jan 13, 2013 Bj Gaskill rated it really liked it
I read this to my five year old daughter and she really enjoyed it. Grant you I'm a bit rusty on my Spanish, but I was surprised that I still knew how to pronounce every word....GO MOM!
My daughter really enjoyed the vivid pictures that went along with each line of this short little story. She was able to a simulate very easily which is a great helper when you are trying to teach anyone a new language...let alone my daughter is still trying to read a lot of words.
We both really enjoyed this story
Monica at The Readathon
Feb 27, 2014 Monica at The Readathon rated it really liked it
This is a very cute picture book! The illustrations are bright and colorful, and the little girl is darling. She takes the reader on this journey of sounds, and it's fun to compare the English to the Spanish. I think it's great that it teaches some Spanish words and sounds. I read it to my 5 year-old daughter and she said she liked it! I definitely recommend this book. You may read my full review on my book blog: www.the-readathon.blogspot.com.
Beverly
Jan 12, 2013 Beverly rated it it was amazing
I loved this e-book. I am an elementary school librarian at a school that has Spanish as one of our specials classes. I am always looking for good, engaging books to help supplement the Spanish curriculum. This is an excellent book for our students, especially the younger ones. Children will enjoy the colorful illustrations and the combination of English/Spanish text. The "listening walk" the young girl takes also makes this story an excellent fit for our kindergarten curriculum.

All in all this
Maureen Timerman
Jan 08, 2013 Maureen Timerman rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
The bright color illustrations of this book will draw your little one in.
Then the writing will keep their attention. First in English and then in Spanish.
My Grandchildren loved the words, and practiced them in Spanish..."Los perros (the dogs)"! And we happen to have 3 dogs, so lots of practice.
They also were giggling with some of the pictures.
This is a really nice book, and very educational to have for the little ones, they pick up the language fast!

I received this book through I Am A Reader, No
Vanessa Kings
Feb 18, 2015 Vanessa Kings rated it it was amazing
Being Spanish my native language, I find this book incredible helpful to teach young children both, English and Spanish, and to help them to combine them, creating mixed sentences that will be needed to understand the world as it is nowadays. It is sweet and funny, with beautiful illustrations that give the book a special touch making it unique.
I think every kid that is surrounded by a multicultural environment will benefit from this book, and so will their parents. A definitely must-read.
Reading in Black & White
Jan 12, 2013 Reading in Black & White rated it really liked it
Escucha Means Listen is such a cute and entertaining picture book. I do not have any children but am a preschool teacher so I am constantly looking for books that will keep the children's attention yet also teach them a lesson. Escucha Means Listen fits that criteria as it is a very fun way to introduce the children to the Spanish language. I would recommend this to all parents and early education teachers.
  • Dying to Run
  • A Hard Act to Follow
  • Rise of the Fire Tamer (The Wordwick Games, #1)
  • Showstoppers (Emily Castles Mysteries #2)
  • Finding the Baby Jesus
  • Daisy: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
  • Take My Heart
  • First Time: The Legend Of Garison Fitch
  • Alaina Claiborne (British Agent, #1)
  • Bring Down The Furies (A Quint Mitchell Mystery - Book 2)
  • Butterflies And Moths
  • Poppy the Proud
  • Jack Templar and the Monster Hunter Academy (The Templar Chronicles #2)
  • Lion vs. Rabbit
  • Gracier
  • Churchill's Tale of Tails
  • The Storyteller's Candle/La velita de los cuentos
  • Reaper's Novice (Soul Collector, #1)
Talia Aikens-Nunez wanted to be a meteorologist, a politician and a lawyer. It was raising her bilingual children that inspired Talia to write multicultural children’s books. Her family loves nature so much that she and her husband vowed that they will always try to live close to water, so now they live on a river in Connecticut.
More about Talia Aikens-Nunez...