Start by marking “Brute” as Want to Read:
Brute

Brute

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,376 ratings  ·  285 reviews
Brute leads a lonely life in a world where magic is commonplace. He is seven and a half feet of ugly, and of disreputable descent. No one, including Brute, expects him to be more than a laborer. But heroes come in all shapes and sizes, and when he is maimed while rescuing a prince, Brute’s life changes abruptly. He is summoned to serve at the palace in Tellomer as a guard ...more
Published December 3rd 2012 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Brute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brute

Lola
“Y-you're a giant because an ordinary man's body is t-too small for what you are.”

3.5 stars. And the award for the sweetest main character goes to…BRUTE! (Ironic, isn’t it?) Indeed. Brute is an amazing and selfless person. Always there to help, without being asked to and not claiming any reward afterwards. Yet, he saved the life of a prince and had been given a post at the palace, as the guard…of a traitor. One every person fears and can’t stand to be close to. Brute, kind and wonderful Brute,
Ami
You’re a giant because an ordinary man’s body is too
small for what you are.”
(Chapter 15, excerpt belongs to author)

Sometimes a powerful book comes without having to shout its existence, without having to offer actions and fireworks, without having to throw the characters to emotional or physical obstacles. Sometimes a powerful book comes with a quiet sigh, compelling tale, and unforgettable characters. This is what "Brute" means to me...

Brute was simply one of the gentlest character I encounter
Giulio

Dear GR friends, friends of friends, lurking followers and so on.

May I have your attention, please?

stop

Stop googling pics of hot men.

Stop swooning over Marco’s steamy gifs.

Stop whatever you’re doing and give this wonderful book a chance.

You’ll find yourself lost in a marvelous world full of sweet giants, blind sorcerers, clumsy princes and smart kids. You’ll smile over a heartwarming tale of true love and heroism. You’ll be transported in the kingdom of Tellomer, were even ugly giants can find frie
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**Audible edition**

4 stars for the book, 5 stars for the narration, 4.5 stars overall! This was an excellent listen!

Just from those first moments of the audiobook sample, I knew it would be a hit for me. K.C. Kelly did a gorgeous job narrating Love, Like Water, so I had the utmost confidence that he would kill this one. And he did. With a rumbling bass for Brute and a perfect stutter for Gray, the narrator nailed it.

I happen to have a tender spot for stutterers, so listening to K.C. Kelly narr
Mona
He'd learned a long time ago...
That wishing was useless.
description

Brute lost his parents at a young age...and from then life has been difficult. Abused by his uncle, bullied by other children, Brute grows up knowing his life won't be easy. His seen has ugly, a monster and at times an abomination.
People always assumed he was stupid anyway.
But people only see whats on the outside, and not Brutes beautiful heart...and his need to simply be wanted.

description

After some unfortunate events, Brute finds himself in a new
Susan

Wanna know what I love?

I love Brute.

I love the gentle giant with the HUGE capacity to care for others.
I love the simple man who's been forced to survive a hard and lonely life but doesn't let that impact how he treats people.
I love the strong and brave man that does everything he can to save his love.
I love Aric.

"Brute" is set in mythical/fantasy times in lands unknown...and is about a 7.5 ft tall man named Aric with a heart of gold, a prince who shows him appreciation and generosit
Ingela
Full review written January 7, 2014

4.3 Stars - Emotional and very nice about a real old-fashioned hero

Brute is such a beautiful fairy tale about a wonderful gigantic, and fantastic good hearted, hero. I really, really enjoyed this lovely story and it showed me how strong grand love is and how brave a person that no one believes in can prove to be.
“Y-you're a giant because an ordinary man's body is t-to small for what you are.”

I always LOVE these old-fashioned fantasy romances. Stories with g
Lisa

4.5 Stars!

I simply do not have the time to write a review for this book at this time. However, trust me when I say that Brute was such a wonderful book. I fell absolutely in love with the gentle giant known as Brute. This book was unique and definitely melted my heart.
SheReadsALot
Sep 07, 2013 SheReadsALot rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Owners of beating hearts; People in need of restarting their unbeating hearts
"It's always good to have a giant or two looking after you."

Words so true, especially if that giant is Brute aka Aric aka the current tugger on my heartstrings.

How to describe Kim Fielding's "Brute"? It's a sort of fantasy featuring a gentle giant among men, Aric/ Brute. He's seven and half feet tall, ostracized, abused (emotionally and physically), scarred and never knew any kindness. His father was a thief, his mother took the easy way out and left poor young Aric on his own in a cruel world.
Heller
4.5

Fantastic fantasy story about a giant of man who everyone perceives is a brute because of his size and looks when in fact he is loving caring man. He's injured saving the life of a prince and is offered the job of caring for a blind prophetic prisoner.

This story just killed me in some places. Heart wrenching stuff here, I really loved it. There's some really solid fantasy world building here. Great characters and dialogue. This was so close to a five star read for me but the ending wasn't as
Gina
Once upon a time in a land far far away, where magic exists there was a man who lived a lonely and abused life.

In fact the villagers where he lived didn’t even call him by his name. They called him Brute, that’s how they saw him as a large, dumb, strong, disfigured beast only good for labor. Aric (Brute) is alone in the world, both of his parents dead he is merely existing. Until one day the prince comes to inspect the work and falls over a cliff, Brute rescues the prince and his life changes……

MiʂħүJѻ
ETA 6-9-14: After due consideration, I just promoted this book to my favorites shelf.

So not what I was expecting. The "there's someone to love everyone" theme was done so well here. The love story was sweet and emotional. The writing was fluid. The paranormal elements were subtle enough that I didn't feel like I had to stretch my imagination to believe the story.

Thanks Dani for picking this book for one of our Old & Moldy reads. I look forward to cleaning out more of my bookshelves with you.
Tiya Rosa
I'm self-centered, sullen, and frequently rude, so it's usually a toss up when I read about someone so pure and good. Either I want to scoop their eyeballs out and just go Hostel on their holier than me asses because who are they kidding with their Mary Sue-ing and Gary Stu-ing - people are not that fucking kind; or I want to self flagellate and curl into a fetal position because I'm a horrible person and I deserve horrible things.

This book is all in the latter category. I went through it alter
Cory
I love rooting for the underdog and that's exactly what I was doing in this whole book!

Where do I start?? First off, Brute was such a lovable giant with a heart as big as he was. He was mistreated and still had a heart of gold. I absolutely fell in love with him. The way he was with Gray was so sweet and it just made me want great things for him.

This was a story of selfless love. Neither Gray nor Brute (which isn't his real name by the way) had a selfish bone in their body. Each damaged in thei
Shelley
3 Stars for the story.

5 Stars for Brute.

Overall a 3.5 star but I'm round up for the giant.

Fantastical fairytale story. Heartbreaking, bitter sweet reading with an oh so satisfying conclusion.
I really liked this one, and I have to be honest and say it was because of Brute - the gentle mistreated giant.

Loved him, absolutely everything about Brute endeared me to him. There is nothing you can say against Brute without me killing you. I will defend him viciously against any and all who dare.

A wonde
Kaje Harper
This is a lovely M/M romance set in what is very definitely a fairy-tale mood and story arc. Brute/Aric is a wonderful, slightly larger-than-life character, in more ways than one. He is kind, patient, strong, smart if uneducated, compassionate, restrained... and lonely. Gray, the prisoner he is set to watch, and whom he gradually befriends, is a perfect foil, a man whose treatment has been so harsh that he needs every ounce of the caring and support Aric gives him. The fact that Gray gives back ...more
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Buddy read off the Old and Moldy shelf with Mish.

Kim Fielding never disappoints. She paints fantasy worlds that we can dip into and believe. Brute was at once heartbreaking and sweet. I loved the idea of two lost souls finding each other. I do wish we had seen more of the passion between them, but there was was more than enough tenderness to make me believe in the love between Aric and Gray. If this has been lingering on your shelf, read it. You won't regret it.
Sonia ~I want MARCO back & Ricky Roman's One and Only in an alternate universe~
I wrote a big-ass and lovely review for this wonderful book but goodreads stole it from me and I'm really sad :((

So I'll just recap really quickly:

"Brute" is a fabulous and amazing fairytale about kindness, self sacrifice and love. The world building is EXTRAORDINARY and I loved every minute (word) of it.

You're going to fall in love with Aric and Gray,two broken men who save each other..

“Th-thank you, Brute.”
“It’s not my name.” He clearly was no master of his own tongue.
But Gray only tilted hi
M
I'm a secret sucker for the redemptive power of love (but don't tell anyone) and this book has that in spades. Lots of people have written gorgeous reviews about this fairytale love story with damaged heroes and perfect love and I don't feel like there's much I can add. It was a beautiful story, with a lovely, rich world. I think my decision to give it 5 stars has lot to do with how even when it descended into sappiness, I still really enjoyed it. Absolutely recommended.
Sofia
May 21, 2014 Sofia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sofia by: Giulio
Shelves: favourites

When I was little we had a great armchair placed in our loggia in which I used to curl up with a book and spend many an afternoon (or a day). In this armchair I felt safe and lost in another world, a world full of dappled sunlight, the buzzing of bees and stories. When my parents threw away the armchair, I lost a part of my childhood. Reading this book reminded me of that kind of feeling, of sunlight, warmth, good story, lost in that world and I loved it and cried for that armchair all over agai
oceankitty
Within an overly large and ugly shell lies the gentlest, most caring and sweetest soul. Brute hasn't much going for him. The people of his village treat him badly, he is friendless and poor, set to hard and mindless labor because everyone thinks he's stupid.

Then one day something happens that changes everything and Brute sets out on the journey of his life. On the way he finds not only friendship and new skills but self acceptance and love.

The world Kim Fielding has created leaped at me from th
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Only 7% but really liking the voice of this story so far

It's really slow at parts but not bad. I didn't really care about him walking around the city window shopping with the kid. And stuff like that just seems like unnecessary filler.

I'm still liking it but its really repetitive. Keeps saying te same things over and over. About his mom, his uncle, the village people. And about his whore house visits. And I that's not bad enough there's now a flash back to him visiting the whore house. Which i
DaisyGirl
5.0 Stars

Wow. This book proves, once again, why Kim Fielding is one of my MOST FAVORITE authors. I want there to be some parenthetical information after this book's title (e.g., Brute #1) because I want more of HIM. I need to revisit with these characters. How are he and Gray doing? Where did they end up going? Can we come with!?!? How are Alys and Warin? What happened with Friddy and Maud? What's the haps in the palace? Please, please, please, please! I'm having withdrawals. I need more Brute!!
Simsala
Beautiful, well written fairy tale in a vivid fantasy setting.

Great reviews here I mostly agree with but with a crying eye.
I liked the story very much and I would have even loved it if Gray hadn`t been blind.
Falling in love with ugly, golden-hearted ox Aric (Brute) with wide open eyes would have made Brute a truly outstanding read for me.
Deeze
I was thinking of deleting a star for this book but after thinking it over I realised the problem was mine and not the books. The story telling and the world created deserve the full 5 stars.

While reading this one my emotions were put through the wringer. The cruelty, be it intentional or simply in ignorance really tore at me.

Brute is the kinda guy that if you just took the time to talk to him you would see he is a wonderful human being. Sadly, as in too many cases, his size and looks stopped
Jenni
Combine action, adventure and angst. Mix in the most lovable, unassuming anti-hero you've ever met. Stir in a vulnerable love interest. Sprinkle with magic. Bake at 350, and voila: you're ready to sink your teeth into Brute.

Set in a medieval fantasy world, Brute is a story about a lonely man finding his way through the hardest of times. When Brute steps in to save an injured prince, he's rewarded for his effort with a seemingly cushy job at the palace taking care of a mysterious prisoner named G
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
3.5 stars. The starts off really well. Brute is such a sweet thing who doesn't appear to have a mean bone in his overgrown body. Once Brute meets and starts caring for Gray. The story then slowed down a bit for me at this point but then thankfully picked back up. The last 25% I just wanted answers and couldn't get them fast enough. There are a few twists and surprises and a sweet ending.
Lena♥Ribka

The book has a high rating.
Everybody like it.
People who has a totally different book taste than me LIKE it.
People whom I trust with a book taste LIKE it.
Almost all my GR friends LIKE it.
Except me.

So...it is not a book, it's me.

The book is good if you like a sweet fairy tale fantasy.
You'll enjoy it. You'll be excited. You'll be in love with the characters and the plot.
Unfortunately I'm not a fan of THIS kind of fantasy.

=> It's my fault:
*I didn't read a blurb- maybe I should start to read it
Feliz
This book reminded me of how real artistry always looks playful and effortless even at its most intricate. This is how this book read, easy and effortless like a juggler's performance and still captivating like a tightrope act.
The narrative flowed smoothly, sometimes poetic, sometimes tinged with gentle humor, painting the setting and the characters alike in colorful, vivid pictures. The hard facts of life weren't glossed over, even drawn out in stark black-and-white at times, but there was no
Irina

Brute is one of the best fairy tales I've ever read.

While reading it, I kept thinking that if we've had more stories like that for older children and teenagers, where two men fall in love and sacrifice everything for each other, the new generation might grow up accepting and understanding homosexuality better.

There's so much goodness in this book. Aric is an unforgettable character that sets a perfect example. He's a giant with the heart as big as the rest of him. And his beauty is in kindness
Dreamspinner Press: Brute by Kim Fielding 2 91 Dec 06, 2012 07:16AM
  • Thick as Thieves (Thick as Thieves, #1)
  • Truth in the Dark
  • Nor Iron Bars a Cage
  • The Lodestar of Ys
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • Bloodraven
  • Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1)
  • Ethan, Who Loved Carter
  • Dream (Aisling, #2)
  • Dragon Slayer
  • Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Song of Oestend (Oestend #1)
  • Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)
  • Bone Rider
  • Black Blades (Rifter #3)
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
Kim Fielding lives in California and travels as often as she can manage. A professor by day, at night she rushes into a phonebooth to change into her author costume (which involves comfy clothes instead of Spandex and is, sadly, lacking a cape). Her superpowers include the ability to write nearly anywhere, often while simultaneously doling out homework assistance to her children. Her favorite word ...more
More about Kim Fielding...
Speechless (Speechless #1) Good Bones (Bones #1) Guarded The Tin Box Treasure

“Don't you d-dare say you're ugly or stupid or worthless. Don't you dare! Y-you’re a giant because an ordinary man’s body is t-too small for what you are.” 17 likes
“it seemed to him that no matter what evils a man had committed, making him suffer purely for the sake of suffering was pointless. It didn't undo the harm he had wrought; it didn't please anyone or improve anyone's life.” 6 likes