Start by marking “The Collected Poems” as Want to Read:
The Collected Poems

The Collected Poems

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The works of this scholar, poet, dramatist, travel writer, political activist, and soldier who died in the Great War at the age of 27.
Published June 1st 2007 by Echo Library (first published January 1st 1916)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Poems, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Manny
I live in Cambridge, England, and Rupert Brooke is our local poet. To be absolutely correct, he's Grantchester's local poet; Grantchester is a picturesque little village about a mile and a half up the river from Cambridge proper. We often walk there on Sunday, and have a cup of tea and a scone in the Orchard, which used to be one of Rupert's favorite haunts. They remember him well, and have even a room that serves as the Rupert Brooke Museum. Admission is free.

If you've never heard of him, don't
Lysergius
IF I should die, think only this of me;
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware, 5
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less 10
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her s
Kevin
I had this book for at least ten years before I read it. I picked it up at a used-book store when I was sweeping the place for poetry books. I'm sorry I waited so long. Brooke is the best new (to me) poet I've come across in a long time. I've always known I'd come to the Georgian poets eventually, that true stock of poetry from the good old tradition, the thread that was sadly cut off by the Great War in Europe and the realms of poesy. Modernism ruined the matter and meter of poetry, killed its ...more
Liz
Stands the Church clock at ten to three ?
And is there honey still for tea ?

I always thought these lines were written by John Betjeman, well that shows you that I really don't know anything about poetry! They're the last lines of 'The old Vicarage, Grantchester' by Rupert Brooke.

I enjoyed the language and style of the poems, but very few have stayed with me now that I've finished. There's one entitled 'Jealousy' that I liked, mainly for its honesty, bitterness and rye humour.

Brooke's poems are
Dec 14, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: helpless romantics
Recommended to Jennifer by: my mother, deborah crombie
My mother and I are very fond of Deborah Crombie's series of mysteries; one references a Brooke poem at the beginning of every chapter. I remember very well the sunshine coming through the windows at our old apartment in San Francisco; and the gleeful and almost shy look on her face, when Mom presented this volume. My copy is worn, clearly well-loved by someone in the past, the dark on the corners rubbed away with long use and part of the spine torn away. It's one of those books that I turn to w ...more
Marti Martinson
Rupert looked much hotter than his poetry, but the ones I did like I really liked. The rest: meh. He did, however, have a rather biting wit about the "fluid" nature of love and relationships. "Grief, not grievances", as Robert Frost suggested. His attitude to WW1 was not as critical as Wilfred Owen, and I think that is why I prefer Owen's poetry. Still, the PDF was a free, public download so I can't complain about the price. I do suggest that the WW1 poets be read.
Janice
I gained a love of poetry from my Mom, and reading this volume made me wonder why I read poetry so seldom these days. Many of these seem so simply written, but have an elegance that speaks to us all.
John
The stars are more for the memoir than the poetry which is all wild-eyed and rhapshodic. The Soldier is remarkable but stands alone.

The memoir, by Marsh, is fascinating. Again, the impression one gets of Brooke is of someone who couldn't move without having a life changing, mind altering experience. But what lingers is the death, not only of Brooke, but of so many of his circle. You have a real impression of the scale of loss produced by World War One.
Jim
Although I often like Brookes, this collection did not improve my estimation of him; the poetry is fine, especially when read individually, but together they seemed to lessen his skill, as similar rhyming schemes popped up frequently, and he seemed to have a limited range of interest. Perhaps something in me wasn't ready for it. Still, I will always love his "Heaven," one of my all-time favorite poems, most likely to forever remain in my top ten favorites.
Patrick Gibson
All suddenly the wind comes soft,
And Spring is here again;
And the hawthorn quickens with buds of green,
And my heart with buds of pain.

My heart all Winter lay so numb,
The earth so dead and frore,
That I never thought the Spring would come,
Or my heart wake any more.

But Winter’s broken and earth has woken,
And the small birds cry again;
And the hawthorn hedge puts forth its buds,
And my heart puts forth its pain.
Merinde
Meh. I started reading this in the most serious way possible but it just wasn't sustainable. I really did try, but I the line Heart, you are restless as a paper scrap/That’s tossed down dusty pavements by the wind got that one Katy Perry song about plastic bags in the wind stuck in my head and it was all downhill from there on...baby, you ain't a firework.
Paul Taylor
Brooke was a great talent with his works being in definite phases like the book. Forever remembered for the Old Vicarage at Grantchester and The Soldier his work lacks the visceral power of Owen, Rosenberg, Blunden or the wit and irony of Sasson but he provided a template for the other war poets to follow.
ivan
Breathless classical poetry that gets darker and more radical toward the end. Rupert Brooke, born of a high English family, likely queer, emotionally destabilized by Virginia Woolf, enlisted in the British navy for Gallipoli but died of a mosquito bite -- there was a lot to inspire him.
Ricky
These are wonderful poems that cover a wide range of subjects which includes love, war, nature and much more. Brooke is a talented poet and an intelligent thinker, he deserve his status as a true great.
Angi M
I like Rupert Brooke mainly for one line in 'the Soldier' that says "in that rich earth a richer dust concealed". I just love that. It applies to everything.
Dayna Smith
A collection of poems by the magnificent English poet who died, too young, in WWI. His poetry is powerful and moving. A must read collection.
Plaimont
True, Brooke is sentimental and tends to moon about, but he's not quite as horrible as I had expected.
Gypsie Holley
Jun 25, 2008 Gypsie Holley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all that have a love of poetry.
I love old poetry books. My favorite two poems in here were "Doubts" and "The Calling"
Samantha
I love him, he's my favourite poet. A tragic loss at such a young age.
Cher
Amazing English poet, very inspirational, one of my favorites of his time.
He is my favorite poet of all time. I love the lost generation.
Charlotte
My favorite poet, sentimental, passionate and incredibly insular.
Danielle
how do i love thee? thy poetry is nothing less than brilliance.
Christina
His poetry and his short life are so moving.
Kelly Linzey
1915 1st ed. was destroyed in the flood.
Douglas Wilson
Not sure it was this edition. Good poetry.
George Mead
Brilliant, lean poetry. Haunting.
Danielle
his death was certainly my loss.
Nov 20, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer by: deborah crombie
My WWI poet boyfriend.
  • The Poems Of Wilfred Owen
  • The War Poems
  • Love, Death, and the Changing of the Seasons
  • The Penguin Book of First World War Poetry (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)
  • The Collected Poems
  • The Collected Poems of Rudyard Kipling
  • Poetical Works
  • Selected Poetry and Prose
  • My Alexandria
  • For Hearing People Only: Answers to the Most Commonly Asked Questions About the Deaf Community, Its Culture, and the "Deaf Reality"
  • Selected Poems
  • The Works of John Donne (Poetry Library)
  • Palgrave's Golden Treasury
  • Facts About the Moon
  • Hunger’s Brides: A Novel of the Baroque
  • Collected Poems
  • Crossing Open Ground
  • Quite Early One Morning
Rupert Chawner Brooke (middle name sometimes given as Chaucer) (3 August 1887 – 23 April 1915) was an English poet known for his idealistic war sonnets written during the First World War, especially The Soldier. He was also known for his boyish good looks, which it is alleged prompted the Irish poet William Butler Yeats to describe him as "the handsomest young man in England."

Brooke was born at 5
More about Rupert Brooke...
1914, and Other Poems The War Poets: A Selection of World War I Poetry (a selection of poems from Rupert Brooke, Edward Thomas, Siegfried Sassoon, Ivor Gurney, Isaac Rosenberg and Wilfred Owen, all with an active Table of Contents) Lithuania Rupert Brooke & Wilfred Owen Selected Poems Poetical Works

“You gave me the key of your heart, my love;
Then why did you make me knock?”
21 likes
“I said I splendidly loved you; it’s not true.
Such long swift tides stir not a land-locked sea.
On gods or fools the high risk falls–on you–
The clean clear bitter-sweet that’s not for me.
Love soars from earth to ecstasies unwist.
Love is flung Lucifer-like from Heaven to Hell.
But–there are wanderers in the middle mist,
Who cry for shadows, clutch, and cannot tell
Whether they love at all, or, loving, whom:
An old song’s lady, a fool in fancy dress,
Or phantoms, or their own face on the gloom;
For love of Love, or from heart’s loneliness.
Pleasure’s not theirs, nor pain. They doubt, and sigh,
And do not love at all. Of these am I”
8 likes