Start by marking “Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia, #1)

Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  3,024 Ratings  ·  449 Reviews
It isn't true love until someone gets hurt.

Sam’s a new man. Yes, he’s still too tall, too skinny, too dorky, too gay, and has that unfortunate addiction to romance novels, but he’s wised up. His One True Love is certainly still out there, but he knows now that real life is nothing like fiction. He’s cultivated the necessary fortitude to say “no” to the next Mr. Wrong, no m
Published January 14th 2013 by Riptide Publishing (first published January 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Too Stupid to Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Stupid to Live

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**4.5 stars**

I just adored this fluffy, delicious romance! So sweet, just what I needed.

It was a blast revisiting the men from Whitetail Rock and FINALLY seeing Sam's happy ending. I have been rooting for him ever since I read about his character in Nik's books. I love that Anne Tenino put a geeky, awkward twink in her book. So many m/m books that I read just have two hotties (in the traditional sense) getting it on. There is a whole spectrum of types and I'm glad she explored something new.

And
julio
Mar 11, 2013 julio rated it liked it
Recommended to julio by: Kimberly
This one's way fun.

Nice long stretches of a-chuckle-a-page writing; a goodhearted romance; a gay ashton kutcher with a harlequin addiction.

To my mind, Tenino knocked it outta da paaaaaak.

Good stuff!
~Lynn~
Jan 18, 2016 ~Lynn~ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-challenge
I desperately needed some sweet fluff in my life and this story really hit the spot leaving me doing a happy sigh...

Sam... Sam describes himself as an unattractive, tall, gangly, too skinny, romance novel loving nerd who is waiting for his prince/future husband to sweep him off his feet. He has a lot of insecurities about his body. He has an awful ex who body shamed him which has only made his insecurities much worse.

Ian... Well Ian is that macho type who is a bit emotionally stunted but is wor
Susan
Jan 24, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it

I’ve been on a roll with books that are FUN and make me SMILE and SWOON.

New-to-me author and a book I knew nothing about, a terrible title, and a meh cover. Here goes…

LOVED IT.

Sam & Ian are FANTASTIC together!

Sam – young, gangly, sweet, unsure of himself, plain joe, reads romance novels (how much do we love him?), suffers from verbal regurgitation, obsessed with the nether-regions (how much do we love him?)

Ian – newly out, gorgeous, buff, man-slut, looking for love if he can figure out what
Vio
It was just okay for me, I did feel as if it was trying too hard and much too clever for its own good. The best part for me was Sam and the kinky kilt fantasy, a dreamy scene, very hot and sexy. I am sure I will be the odd one out again.
Meli Mel *Ty and Zane's Creeper*

♥♥♥ 4.5 Romancelandia Stars ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

'It isn't true love until someone gets hurt'

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

This story was so cute and entertaining. I loved the characters in this book!! It was just plainly awesome.

We have Sam who is pretty darn adorkable. He's tall and skinny, loves to read romance novels, and dreams about finding his very own Highland Laird. I loved this guy so much. He was super sweet, and even though he
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

This book was SWEET, and it was FUNNY, such a lovely combination. I was laughing aloud even as I was swooning.

Slightly geeky, gangly, romance-novel-obsessed Sam meets his handsome laird on a rugby field. Too bad Sam's "future husband" wants nothing to do with him. Sam just isn't Ian's type. Ian, a firefighter until an accident left him injured, is a manly man and wants to date guys who are like him. He doesn't go for twink cute, not that Sam's a twink, not really; he's too awkward, tal
Mandapanda
Nov 21, 2012 Mandapanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
Reread on 20th June 2013. Enjoyed it just as much and I was able to pick up on some things I missed out on the first time. I'm sure the scifi romance novel Sam talks about is Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair. One of my all time faves. Great to see it mentioned here.

Original review:
Fun story from the Whitetail Rock 'verse.
Self-confessed TSTL Sam finds the man of his dreams in the conflicted ex-firefighter, Ian, who is only just blundering his way out of the closet.

Sam totally steals the show
Td
Jan 12, 2013 Td rated it it was amazing
Ha! I must express my admiration to an author who takes a lot of romance novels tropes and cliches, lets you KNOW blatantly she's doing it and effortlessly weaves them into a fun, delightful story. Even the couple of minor niggles that made the futile attempt to become bothersome were quickly stomped into submission...GO AWAY! Sam and Ian were awesome, sweet and hot together, the rest of the characters were great, I found the story entertaining from beginning to end. Ooohh, I'm feeling all warm ...more
Bev
Jan 17, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it

4.5 stars for me, a total keeper. I loved it, so romantic (well, except for the gay bashing bit obviously!!)  photo images17_zps20029d42.jpg

Sam was a geeky, awkward, gangly type of guy, but such a sweetie, whose passion seemed to be romantic books (nothing wrong with that at all), and who hadn't been in love with anyone - had sex with them yes - thus far and was looking for 'the one'. He seemed to think he'd found him when walking across a playing field one day, and an amazing guy came running towards him, wearing a kilt [i
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
Jan 21, 2013 Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fun gay story lovers
Recommended to Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog by: Riptide Publishing
~~~

If I told you that Sam is adorable and Ian is hot that wouldn't begin to describe these two MC's. Sam is intelligent, insecure, ridiculously introspective and brave. Ian is huge, built, gorgeous and confused.

I don't know who's head I enjoyed being inside of more; Sam is funnier, but Ian is so messed up about Sam. It's just a wonderful thing to see. I don't want to spoiler anyone, but there is something about watching a big, hunky, hunk of perfection brought to his knees by someone...unexpect
Heller
Jan 09, 2013 Heller rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely delightful. I loved it.

It's not imperative but before reading this I'd really recommend you read the two free short stories in the Whitetail Rock series before reading this one:

Whitetail Rock
The Fix

You get a real feel for the characters of Nik and Jurgen who play a big part in this book, Nik especially. You're also introduced to Miller who has a significant part as well.

I loved Nik in this story. I loved his friendship with Sam and how wonderfully snarky and delicious he wa
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

I've been excited to read this one for a while now ;) Okay, not only because I love Anne and her books, or because I really liked Whitetail Rock and The Fix, but mostly because I loved Sam so much in those stories and couldn't wait to see him get his own HEA. And come on, a character who is admittedly secretly in love with romance novels having his own book called "Too Stupid to Live"? That's gotta be awesome!

We first met Sam in Whitetail Rock with
Jenni Lea

re-read 4/15/16

I'm just gonna go ahead and bump this up to 5 stars. I forgot how much I loved Anne Tenino's writing. This book was exactly what I needed. Time for a binge!

*******************************************

I love Anne Tenino's books.

They are adorable and funny.

She is awesome!

And nobody better say anything to the contrary.

*glares protectively*
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
3.5--A Bit Too Cheesy--Stars!

And I hated the nicknames.....kiddo? Squirrel? Laird bear?

But on the plus side there was lots of hot sex so....

Sam and Ian are polar opposites. Sam being obviously gay and more of the skinny, twink type and Ian being less obviously gay and more of the brawny, rough type.

Sam was a bit too feminine for my liking.

A but too sensitive and girly.

Ian, in the words of Sam was a....."completely adorable idiot". He's pretty emotionally retarded. He's always just had hoo
Susan
Nov 21, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
Sam is a sweet, awkward, funny guy. He doesn’t think much of himself due to previous experiences, but if he could choose someone to be interested in him, it would be a Highlander from one of his romance novels.

Like this one.

Or this one.

Or this one.

Or perhaps this one.
description

It could also be this one.
description

When he bumps into Ian, Sam knows he has found his Highlander. But Ian shoots him down and tells Sam he is ‘not his type’. Awful awful Ian.

But Sam and Ian seem to keep bumping in to each other since Ian’s c
Sheziss
This book is soooooo cute!

My first with Anne Tenino.

It seemed a typical romance book but it’s not. In fact, it’s one of the less predictable plots I’ve ever read in m/m. I didn’t know what to expect from the MC and had no idea what I had to stick to. There is not a weird story line, just the opposite. The tale is something “ordinary” and based on real life.

I’m just so used to fictitious plots I lose the gasp of reality. On one hand, that’s exactly what I want to read, something different from r
Vivian
Mar 25, 2013 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-contemp
Funny, this book should have driven me insane, but I actually really, really liked it.

Sam was a sweetie, totally adorable and lovable. Ian's a bit of a dick, but he works through and yeah...his sorry ass is lucky that Sam is as idealistic and forgiving as he is. Dolt! They're really hot together and ain't that the truth about relationships--so often it is the mismatched pair that makes the best couple.

Anyway, my hesitations and generally huge no-no of a MC discussing books especially romance b
Amy
Jun 28, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was so much fun to read, I loved it!!! Sam is a skinny, gangly, socially awkward guy who has a pretty low opinion of himself thanks to his former boyfriend. He’s studying to be a writer and loves to read romance novels. He is cute and charming and I loved being inside his head. His inner monologues are hysterical!

Taking a shortcut across the rugby field to get home from school, Sam quite literally runs into Ian, a big, muscular, former firefighter. Sam asks him out (the first time he’s ever
Heather C
Jan 13, 2013 Heather C rated it really liked it
Sweet, snarky story with a lotta hot sex! Seriously, I lost count of how many times Ian and Sam got naked, but it was all creative, kinky and different so I never got bored...surprisingly! I even loved the light BDSM.

I really loved Ian and Sam and all the secondary characters. I even felt bad for the asshole Tierney (hope he gets a story).

My biggest problem with the story was the main characthers' names. They just didn't match their character IMO and I kept getting them confused. In my head, Sa
Macky
I was looking for something to read that would be easy on the brain, lighthearted and a bit of fun. Apart from a bit of a ' darker ' moment towards the end, this book was exactly what I needed. I've read the two free short stories that introduce the characters but I don't think it matters if you read this as a standalone - if you do want to read them check out her website. I really enjoyed the dynamics between Sam and Ian. Sam loves Romance Novels and yearns for his own romantic hero to sweep hi ...more
Shelley
4.5 Stars.
OMG! … This book! Why didn’t I read it ages ago?!

That cover! That’s why. Sorry book, but you look so super cheesy and clichéd and silly, I just rolled my eyes at you and moved along.
Ha! Yes book, you can raise your eyebrow at me – I’m shallow and fickle like that and I judged you. But you should have been predictable, when you were actually just what I needed. You were my breath of fresh air and a ray of sunshine on a rainy day. Don’t roll your eyes at me; I can do cheesy too, so I
Stacia (the 2010 club)
2.5 stars. Adult review for erotic content.

...and the first book of the New Year was just shy of the mark.

Picky Bitch strikes again. Some days I really hate my frequent inability to get on board the happy "everyone else loves it" bandwagon. The only thing about this book that made me happy was the humor, which was the sole reason I rounded up, not down.
"Are you in the closet again?"
"What? I've never been in the closet."
Sam did his best to keep his voice calm and level. "Did you slam yourself i
Mandy*reads obsessively*
4.45*
I really liked Sam in the Whitetail stories and was happy he finally gets his man.
Sam, the romance reader (I'm totally with you on that one Sam) is looking for his Prince Charming, or maybe more like a really hot highlander and is literally run down and shot down by him.
He runs into Ian at a party later on and discovers Ian his highlander is Jurgen's cousin ( Nik's BF from Whitetail Rock).
They start what might be called a relationship even if it's actually more than that, but Ian wouldn't b
Kaje Harper
Mar 07, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, light, comfort-reread
This is a cute, sweet, light story. There is Sam, a romantic novel-reading grad student with self-image issues, whose past relationships have left his heart battered but still hopeful. And Ian, an ex-firefighter who has left behind a life in the closet to start something more real, without any idea of how to start. Both of these MCs are good guys, working through their hesitations and misconceptions, and make the reader want to offer hugs and support.

There is a lot of hot sex, with a very ligh
Gina
Dec 28, 2013 Gina rated it really liked it
This was a delightful, funny, light read! This was also my first Anne Tenino book, and it won’t be my last.

Starting this one I expected a funny, light read. And I expected to find hot steamy scenes, and yes they are here as well (actually a lot of them). And to my happy surprise among the steamy scenes one included a kilt wearing highlander laird! Ok I love role-playing scenes, I think they are fun and hot! Especially when I read books that have D/s roles in them, role-playing can add lightness
☆ Todd
Jan 14, 2013 ☆ Todd rated it really liked it
There was just something about Sam and Ian that I really loved in this book.

Yes, at times they were both definitely 'too stupid to live', but their internal monologues affirming to themselves just what dumbasses they were actually being was very funny and refreshing.

This one had my undivided attention from start to finish, which doesn't happen very often.

Highly recommended, in spite of (or maybe because of) the fact that you just want to smack the crap out of them every 3 or 4 chapters. : )
Heidi Cullinan
Jan 06, 2013 Heidi Cullinan rated it it was amazing
Totally loved this. You should all read it. I'm rereading again in about ten minutes.
Monika
Dec 27, 2012 Monika rated it it was amazing

4.5 Stars

OMG!!! If you want to read a totally funny, sweet, romantic story that will have you laughing out loud and completely falling in love with the MC’s then you should read this.

Sam’s shy and awkward ways and his love of reading romance novels (especially Highlander one’s) made him completely endearing to me. What person at some point in their lives wouldn’t have loved to have one of those strong strapping heroes from a romance novel sweep them off their feet and fall madly in love with th
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
Read 01/20/2014
Re-read 04/02/14

I decided to read this again after finally reading the two previous books. I loved this even more now that I get a few references from the other books. I adore Sam. I loved his romance novel addiction (I can relate). It took me a little to warm up to Ian, but he and Sam were perfect for each other.

Re-read 12/08/2015
Re-read probably 12 (at minimum) additional undocumented reads
Re-read 11/18/2016 I hope I never tire of this book.
re-read 2/11/2017
  • Dirty Laundry (Tucker Springs, #3)
  • Tell Me It's Real (At First Sight, #1)
  • The Party Boy's Guide to Dating a Geek (Clumsy Cupid Guidebooks, #1)
  • Screwing the System (Screwing the System, #1)
  • How to Raise an Honest Rabbit (Granby Knitting, #2)
  • If It Flies (Market Garden, #3)
  • The Good Boy (Boy, #1)
  • Bad Boyfriend (Bad in Baltimore, #2)
  • Calling the Show
  • Slam!
  • Shy
  • Disasterology 101
  • Glitterland (Glitterland, #1)
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe
Catalyzed by her discovery of LGBTQ romance, Anne Tenino left the lucrative fields of art history, non-profit fundraising, and domestic engineering (in that order) to follow her dream of become a starving romance author. For good or ill, her snarky, silly, quasi-British sense of humor came along for the ride.

Anne applies her particular blend of romance, comedy, and gay protagonists to contemporary
More about Anne Tenino...

Romancelandia (3 books)
  • Billionaire with Benefits (Romancelandia #2)
  • Untitled (Romancelandia #3)

“It isn't true love until someone gets hurt.” 3 likes