Start by marking “Marley & Me” as Want to Read:
Marley & Me

Marley & Me

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  366,289 Ratings  ·  13,273 Reviews
John and Jenny were just beginning their life together. They were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy. Life would never be the same.

Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound streamroller of a Labrador retriever, a dog like no other. He crashed through sc
Published 2006 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Marley & Me, please sign up.

Li'l Owl There is a special edition that has been adapted for young readers. Here is the ISBN code. 9780061240331
I know this question was asked quite a while…more
I know this question was asked quite a while ago but I thought you might still be interested in this for your child. (less)

Dave
Sep 19, 2007 Dave rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a mediocre book written by horrible dog owners.

Marley sounds like an amusing guy; but I think pets are like kids - you don't get nearly as much joy from people telling you stories about their kids as you do from watching your own. I have dogs whom I love very much, and often things they do I find to be very entertaining even though others might not derive the same level of enjoyment if I were to tell them all about it. For this reason, there are no parts of the book that are truly funny.
Kristine
Sep 13, 2007 Kristine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers (especially Lab lovers)
This is the first book that has ever, and I emphasize EVER, made me laugh so hard and cry so much. All in one book!

Marley & Me is the predictable and somewhat cliche story about a dog and his owner. If you pick up this book expecting a unique story, put it down and look for something else.

If you pick up this book expecting to learn about how to train your dog, put it down and look for something else.

If you pick up this book wanting to read a touching, but very entertaining story about bein
Rachel
May 08, 2007 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
SO my mom sent me this book because she thought I was all down after a stupid break up, and she wanted to cheer me up. I wasn't really down. I was totally fucking pissed off. I went into reading this book seeing red. Maybe that's affected how I interpreted it, but I really think this John Grogan guy and his wife are complete idiots.

There is no reason to ever buy a dog, ever. Ever. There are dogs dying all over the country because people abandon their animals or neglect to have them spayed/neute
James
Mar 02, 2008 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie
Mar 16, 2008 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sit down and make a list of all the things your dog might do if he was brain damaged. Of course, you're a good person and you love him anyway so write about that. There, you just wrote Marley and Me.

Dixie Diamond
Dec 29, 2008 Dixie Diamond rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: biography, dogs
To be honest, I couldn't even finish this because it was so stupid.

"Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog Owner." For crying out loud--get this poor dog some exercise and a trainer!

I hate books and movies like this: The "zany" antics of poorly-trained, poorly-raised, poorly-managed pets and their self-centered, moronic, owners. I'm always afraid stories like this will encourage other ill-informed, clueless people to adopt dogs they can't handle.

I've owned dogs all my life and never had probl
Valerie
May 06, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog-lovers, people with a soft heart
Recommended to Valerie by: Mom
Ahhh! I loved this book. I laughed, I cried, I remeneniced. I thought about my beloved black labrador, Duff. Just like John said, "They really are they when you need them." Duff was always there for me. Walks down the hill, over the streets, down by the Golf Course, with the sunsetting. Sitting on the couch together watching a movie. Sitting out on the hill, at my sunnyspot on the hill, writing or listening to music. Duff was always there. Sometimes he slept on my bed, but usually he had too man ...more
Donna Bolton
Sep 06, 2007 Donna Bolton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one who has a love and passion for their "horrible" dog.
I loved this book. My now husband bought it for me last year for my birthday. When we had started dating, we found and loved a little mutt named Stella. When she was killed, our world was rocked. We felt foolish for being so upset over a dog. Neither one of us could stop crying for weeks. We didn't even have her a year when she died. This book made us both feel so good becuase it reminded us why we were so devistated. It was not only because Stella was a PERFECT dog. It was that she was there wh ...more
Amanda
Oct 30, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful book. I read this too soon after losing my 10 year old golden Labrador to cancer, so I found it made me extremely emotional. It's very well written and some of the antics of Marley are so typical of a young Labrador! Hilarious, heartbreaking and beautiful, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
Sheila
Jan 31, 2009 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dog-books
This is a book for dog lovers, and for those who have been loved by a dog. The Grogans may not have been the best dog trainers in the world, and they may have made a common mistake of buying their dog from a backyard breeder, but what they did right was they loved their dog, and stayed devoted to him through his whole life, from puppyhood to old age. In this throwaway society, where many people consider pets to be "disposable", to be dumped at the pound when they are no longer a cute puppy, or w ...more
Matt
Jul 21, 2007 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You have to read books your grandma gives your for Christmas. Having said that, Marley's antics were mildly amusing (I guess), but I couldn't see past the fact that the owners were simply moronic. Example: they know their dog goes bananas and tries to claw its way to perceived safety anytime thunderstorms hit, tearing the house to shreds in the process. So what do they do to prevent it from ripping apart the house in the event of a thunderstorm in their absence? They put it in a little dog crate ...more
Dixie
Dec 26, 2008 Dixie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbols mean nothing to him. A water-logged stick will do just fine. A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn't care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his."

I never 'dog-ear' pages in the books I read. I like my books to remain looking as new as possible and I enjoy perfectly pressed paper with no
Jake Doyle
Nov 16, 2015 Jake Doyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oceana2602
Jul 14, 2007 Oceana2602 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog owners
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
'In a world of bosses, you are your own master.'

I rarely ever give 5/5 ratings on a book. Let alone on a memoir. But if I have to be honest, Marley & Me deserves it all. Hell, if I could rate this more than 5 stars I bloody damn would.

This is the first non fiction book that I truly ever find delightful. It was such a joyride. I laughed out loud, snickered, made strangled *squeeeeeee* noises, and even shed a tear or two at the near ending. I'm the most dramatic, soppy reader ever and th
Flor Méndez
El mejor amigo del hombre tuvo una muy buena adaptación en el 2008, y con la lectura (por fin) del libro que inspiró la película completamos este círculo que se cierra en mi vida: ocho años queriendo leerlo y por fin, después de la muerte de dos de mis compañeros de vida, pude hacerlo. Todo llega cuando tiene que llegar, y agradezco seguir creciendo con lecturas como esta y con mis amigos de cuatro patas.
Ryan Marquardt
Oct 17, 2007 Ryan Marquardt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I'm a complete sucker for this book. Yes, some of the anecdotes are things that every pet owners experiences, and are not really that compelling as a result. And some parts of it are more about life with a dog than the life of a dog. It was well written though, and really funny at times. Marley sounds like he was a complete love.

And that is why it was so tough to read the end. Yes, you know how it ends. But Grogan's description of the canine aging process is really accurate. Dogs do live in
Stephanie
Jan 26, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I read two dog books in a row because my book club decided to do this for our February meeting. That said this book made me laugh so hard I cried and then, of course, I cried at the end as one must with all dog books if one loves dogs. I am the former owner of four Marley's--a black Lab, a yellow Lab (pure breed AKC registered and probably Marley's first cousin), a chocolate Lab, and a Lab/Husky/ Wolf mix. They all cost me thousands of dollars in vet bills, household and yard improvements ...more
Glenna
Jan 10, 2009 Glenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fully prepared to give this book 3 stars before I started reading it. (based on seeing the movie) but the book really touched my heart. I laughed and yes I cried. (listening on CD might not be a good idea because driving home from work with your eyes full of tears makes staying in the lines hard)

Because each book we read is affected by the experiences in our lives that we bring to the reading, I'm not sure if someone who has never loved something furry would love this book. It would be int
Asha
Nov 29, 2011 Asha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog-lovers, dog-haters, dog-owners and everyone else
Recommended to Asha by: Goodreads
“A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn't care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his.

Just like Marley, my Golden-Retriever, Alfey is a classic example of the above mentioned fact. All dogs are! One just needs to see.

A Great pie
The Lady Inquisitor
Dec 08, 2014 The Lady Inquisitor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog Lovers
Recommended to The Lady Inquisitor by: The Movie
Quick and adorable reading. I loved the way John Grogan pictured every moment of Marley in his life and the lives of his family: with a lot of emotion and the right amount of snark. (I actually read this book 4 times).

I was reading the other reviews of this book (i should never do this) and i'm seriously baffled. Have you guys really read the book? John was an amazing owner. He was patient to a shocking point. He tried to get Marley a trainer,but the dog only managed to learn at his own pace,and
Keann
Mar 11, 2017 Keann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot, because Marley is so funny and I couldn't even believe that a dog could act like that. It was really sad at the end though, but I which I knew what happened at the end. It kinda left at a cliff hanger. It was a really good book through and I think anybody who reads it will love it. This si what I though about Marley and Me.
Jenny
Dec 25, 2008 Jenny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This guy has a pretty bad case of Precious Snowflake Syndrome. He's the kind of guy who appears to have a pretty average life with a pretty average wife and kids. Lives in an average house. Makes an average wage. But that's all too boring so instead he has to act like he has the Craziest Dog in the World! His dog (and everyone else in his life) is a precious snowflake more beautiful and unique than anything else in the universe.

His dog's digestive tract cleans gold better than any chemical! His
M
Oct 28, 2008 M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hate dogs. Always have, always will. I cannot at all understand the time, energy and devotion that people so willingly dish out to a furry monster who will wreck their home and treat the greater world as one big public bathroom and not even grow to be a contributing member to society and take in their owners in their old age which would at least justify it.
So in that sense I may not be the best person to review this book. I certianly wasn't interested in the premise, which is, couple gets psyc
Bernadette S
Aug 13, 2012 Bernadette S rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

At first glance, John Grogan’s Marley and Me appears to be a “feel good” novel for the dog loving population. However, as an active member of that population, it is a disappointing example of the multiple wrongs many people engage in when raising a puppy.

The secondary title, Life and Love with the World’s Worst Dog would be more appropriate with, Ridiculous Decisions of the World’s Worst Dog Owners as its title. Let me explain. The autobiographical story begins with a young Grogan and his wife c
Eva Leger
I read this years ago and had rated it on here without saying anything. I actually came to the listing because I wanted to note something and noticed I'd said nothing about the story.
This is the dog book of all dog books right? The one that "started" it all.....
This is a beautiful story and even though we have to wade through the "bad" dog books to get to the great ones these days I think dog lovers everywhere have to thank Grogan for sharing Marley with the world.
I'd urge any dog lover to read
Theresa Alan
Nov 05, 2016 Theresa Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is just the kind of hilarious, fun book I like to read, but because I saw the movie, I almost never read books AFTER I’ve seen the movie. For me it’s the other way around: I read the book and see the movie, usually to see how much better the book was.

It’s been a long time since I saw the movie, so I gave the book a chance, and I’m glad I did—the humor and endless comedy was a blast. Marley destroyed countless pieces of furniture and screen doors. He routinely ate things like parts of their
Beth
Nov 10, 2007 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark
Jul 18, 2007 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers, humor fans
I'm a dog person. I see them as basically goofy entertainment accessories most of the time, and every so often a dog will do something to win your heart. However, this is usually a difficult thing to describe completely and honestly to someone unfamiliar with dog ownership. John Grogan has managed to capture in a relatively brief 300 pages all the joy (and sadness) owning a dog can bring to a life, and to a family.

If, like me, you've shared part of your life and living space with a dog, then th
Lynne King
Dec 24, 2012 Lynne King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
I purchased this book on the recommendation of a friend. As I also have a labrador retriever, I was intrigued to see how badly behaved this Marley was in comparison to my own lovable lab, but still inclined to behave badly when it suited him.

There were just so many similarities between the two dogs but apart from that I loved the writing style and, for the most part, it was a great book.

There's one paragraph that just sticks in my mind and I always look at this if I happen to be browsing throug
2015 Reading Chal...: Marley & Me by John Grogan 6 34 Aug 05, 2015 06:43AM
Goodreads Librari...: Cover and other information missing 3 13 May 30, 2015 05:21AM
Do you have the heart to get rid of (old) books? 41 282 Mar 08, 2015 07:13AM
movie vs book 11 82 Feb 08, 2015 12:29PM
  • A Good Dog: The Story of Orson, Who Changed My Life
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
  • Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale
  • From Baghdad, With Love: A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava (Lava #1)
  • Cleo
  • A Lion Called Christian: The True Story of the Remarkable Bond Between Two Friends and a Lion
  • Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog
  • Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon
  • Giant George: Life with the World's Biggest Dog
  • Good Dog. Stay.
  • Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls-- One Flying Disc at a Time
  • James Herriot's Dog Stories
  • Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Discovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence—and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process
  • Dogs Who Found Me: What I've Learned From Pets Who Were Left Behind
  • The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing
  • Huck: The Remarkable True Story of How One Lost Puppy Taught a Family - and a Whole Town - About Hope and Happy Endings
  • Homer's Odyssey
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
John Grogan has spent more than 25 years as a newspaper journalist. Previously he worked as a reporter, bureau chief, and columnist at newspaper in Michigan and Florida. He is also the former editor on chief of Rodale's Organic Gardening magazine. His work has won numerous awards, including the National Press Club's Consumer Journalism Award. His first book, Marley & Me, is a number one inte ...more
More about John Grogan...

“A person can learn a lot from a dog, even a loopy one like ours. Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things-a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in a shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty.” 798 likes
“Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.
It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.”
655 likes