Start by marking “1301: The Marquis (The 13th Floor, #1)” as Want to Read:
1301: The Marquis (The 13th Floor, #1)

1301: The Marquis (The 13th Floor series #1)

Life after Hell isn't more exciting than watching football and fixing a busted pipe. Once a powerful demon, Marc enjoys his quiet existence and a good cup of coffee. With big ambitions to gain his master's favor, a trickster demon named Vetis shatters Marc's peace and vows to deliver Marc's head to the fires of Hell. Not before he destroys everything Marc cares about, of ...more
Published December 9th 2012

To ask other readers questions about 1301, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1301

★Moonrise Books
Oct 10, 2014 ★Moonrise Books rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-favorites
Once the Grand Marquis, and a nobleman within Lucifer's court, Marc is now just a mere shadow of the demon he used to be. An outcast, even by Hell's standards, he lives a relatively quiet life, along with the other residents of the 13th floor. All things considered, he has adjusted to his new life, and even feels happy sometimes, enjoying the simple pleasures afforded to the humans...like coffee. Oh, and spending time at the neighborhood cafe, where he can chat with the lovely Mae.

Marc knows th
Chrys Fey
Jun 30, 2015 Chrys Fey rated it really liked it
Marc is the self-proclaimed landlord of the 13th floor in an apartment building in Carmine. The residents of the 13th floor are far from ordinary.

Marc used to be the Grand Marquis, Lucifer's favorite demon. When Vetis, a low-level demon, comes to Carmine to kill Kiren, a vampire and tenant of the 13th floor, Marc intervenes. Now Vetis wants Marc's head and all he holds dear: the city of Carmine and Mae, a woman with a bright spirit. The only way for Marc to defeat Vetis is by becoming the demon
Zarah
Feb 16, 2016 Zarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting start to a new series of novelettes. (It's also a stand alone. I think each story is a different resident of floor 13.) I liked the idea and the characters. I especially appreciated that the heroine was a mature woman. But I thought the writing itself was only so-so. It was heavy handed and somewhat repetitive. But I'd be willing to read another if I came across it.
Cherie
Dec 07, 2012 Cherie rated it it was amazing
THE MARQUIS by Christine Rains is a brilliant start to a new paranormal romance novellas series!

Marc saved his friend, but he incurred a demon’s wrath by doing so. Now Vetis wants to show off he has the guts to take the Marquis’ head and his city. Marc would do anything to save Carmine, especially since his favorite cafe owner Mae Hopkins lives there. Without her, the world would be a dim place. But Marc has to decide whether losing his humanity by becoming the demon he once was is worth it or n
Linda
Feb 25, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Marc, a demon known as the Grand Marquis in Hell, is living the quiet life of retirement as a handyman in an apartment building. He also serves as protector for his fellow tenets of the 13th floor. His greatest pleasure now is a cup of coffee from his favorite café around the corner owned by Mae Hopkins. “The dame has a lovely smile, but it's her heart and soul that shine bright.”

When a trickster demon named Vetis shows up in Carmine all hell breaks loose when he vows to take Marc, or just his
J.L. Campbell
Feb 27, 2013 J.L. Campbell rated it it was amazing
STORYLINE: Marc, a powerful demon in retirement is being hunted by Vetis, a lesser demon with aspirations of greatness. If Vetis has his way, Marc will be back in residence in Hell, but Marc has other plans.

Marc is a mature individual, intent on minding his own business. When trouble comes looking for him, he has no choice but to fight the enemy. If he does nothing, the city he’s adopted and the woman he loves will be destroyed.

Mae is the woman who catches Marc’s eyes. She’s kind, sweet and ye
Colette
Great start to a new series. The best thing about this series is that even though all the books are intertwined, they each make great standalone books. They are also fast, easy reads that can be done in one sitting. I think what I liked most about this one was that it told from a males pov, and was a great introduction to the series.

Marc is a demon, and he used to be Satan's right hand man. However, that was a long time ago and he's lost most of his powers. He's quite happy about that and the b
Scott
Jul 23, 2015 Scott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book is about a demon who walks away from his life as a servant of Hell and settles in a small town, where he lives with other supernatural beings attempting to be normal. I felt that this was a different take on the TV show Being Human, where supernatural beings live as roommates in an attempt to be more human. Although the story is more about the demon then the other beings, each revealed in their own book, the story seems to imply that they are turning their collective backs on their ...more
Summer Ross
Mar 24, 2013 Summer Ross rated it really liked it
Shelves: entertainment
Rains opens her novella with a terrific hooking line, “Marc still had the power to smite new demons. Just barely.”

Right away I was drawn in by the supernatural curiosity of my heart and the author blanketed me in a powerful story of a mature love and the internal struggle between light and dark.

Marc, the main character in book one of her 13th Floor series, is well thought out and has a dark twisted side that wants to rear its head despite the human morality that has opened up his heart to a swe
Graeme Ing
Feb 04, 2013 Graeme Ing rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
This is a superb story with a simple but powerful what-if: What if a greater demon from Hell (Marc) hung up his horns and brimstone, settled down in a quiet town and fell in love with the owner of a cafe? Sounds cozy until another demon shows up, determined to destroy everything that Marc cares about.

This is just what you'd imagine if two demons from Hell started fighting in a modern day town. Plenty of evil, destruction and fire. Rains does a fantastic job showing Marc's anguish, as he's forced
Medeia Sharif
Mar 24, 2013 Medeia Sharif rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Marc is a retired demon taking care of the tenants of the 13th floor of his building. He once was the Grand Marquis, but he left hell for a quieter life. Also, he regrets the bad deeds he did years ago.

Getting along with his tenants and falling in love with Mae, a coffee shop owner on his block, make it seem like normalcy is attainable, but it's really not that easy. Vetis, a younger demon, is in town killing people and ruining city structures. He's after Marc and wants to drag him back to hell.
Melissa Maygrove
I normally don’t read novellas or serials, but after seeing the cover of The Marquis and reading about the concept of the 13th Floor, I just *had* to try it. I wasn't disappointed. Not only is the writing very good, but the installments are being published rapidly enough that I’ve been able to keep up with the story without forgetting what happened before (one reason I avoid series). Still, I hope the author will consider publishing these as a collection once the series is complete.

The writing:
Julie Flanders
Jan 09, 2013 Julie Flanders rated it it was amazing
The Marquis is an excellent start to the 13th Floor series. Marc, the former Grand Marquis, is an intriguing and complex lead character, and I loved his romance with Mae, who runs a coffee shop near his home. It was so refreshing to read a love story about more mature characters, and Mae is an especially welcome heroine. A down-to-earth woman who doesn't look like a supermodel and even has some grey in her hair, Mae is a great complement to Marc as he struggles between his demonic nature and his ...more
T.B. Markinson
Nov 20, 2013 T.B. Markinson rated it it was amazing
What a great start to a series. Marc, is a demon, who used to be known as the Grand Marquis. Now he wants a quiet life and to be left alone. Unfortunately, an enemy wants to destroy him and hits Marc where it hurts. Marc’s enemy goes after his friends and the woman that Marc loves. It’s refreshing to have a romance between older characters. Mae, the love interest, is a special lady. She’s kind to others, has some gray hairs, and doesn’t take crap from anyone. Marc is conflicted about his past ...more
Lisa Lopez
Jan 31, 2014 Lisa Lopez rated it it was amazing
The book cover may look a bit dark and ominous, but do yourself a favor and read this book. I am now a Christine Rains fan. Each character is different. So many times authors stick to the same outline for their books. Boy meets girl, girl is insecure, boy doesn't understand, there is drama for no reason than lack of communication. Even in paranormal books that recipe stands true. But not here. Even the heroes in this book have issues but not the drama queen club writing most romance novelist use ...more
Rosanna Leo
Mar 19, 2014 Rosanna Leo rated it really liked it
What a great start to a new-to-me series. I very much enjoyed this tale of Marc, a man who used to be Hell's powerful demon, the Marquis. He has left Lucifer's employ and now resides in a sleepy town, content with his not-quite-human life. And he is very happy with lovely Mae, the owner of the local cafe. However, when one of Hell's minions decides it might be a lark to challenge the Marquis, Marc's beloved town becomes a supernatural battleground. Should Marc give into his demonic tendencies to ...more
Jeff Chapman
Jan 18, 2015 Jeff Chapman rated it it was amazing
A former demon from Hell, Marc is leading a quiet life as a caretaker of supernatural misfits in a strange apartment building. He even has a girlfriend of sorts, a sweet woman with a bright soul who runs a coffee shop. Marc's quiet life goes to hell when an old acquaintance shows up demanding Marc's head as a trophy. Everything Marc loves is soon destroyed or in danger of being destroyed. Marc has to fight, but the only way to do that is to revive the dormant demon within. Will love and ...more
Nick Wilford
Feb 11, 2013 Nick Wilford rated it it was amazing
The Marquis is an excellent, fast-paced starts to what looks like a very promising series from Christine Rains, which follows the paranormal inhabitants of the 13th Floor. The author keeps the action moving on an almost constant basis, yet also allows for great character development with retired demon Marc seeming all too human in his relationship with cafe owner Mae. Once the stakes are raised and Mae is put in danger, you won't be able to stop reading until you reach the epic conclusion.
Angela Brown
Mar 15, 2013 Angela Brown rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure how Christine Rains managed to do it, but she squeezed the perfect villain, a Hellboy-of-a-hero and a fantastic heroine into such a short read with an ending that I truly enjoyed. Each character was given ample time on page and space to breathe and become characters to cheer for...or against (Vetis, I'm looking at you!)

I am now a fan of The 13th Floor and must find out more.
H.G. Estok
Nov 09, 2014 H.G. Estok rated it it was amazing
Can an escaped-from-hell demon find absolution? Darker and grittier than Rains' FEARLESS, this tale gripped me from the start. I liked the noirish setting and enjoyed the dynamic between Marc and Mae. The action and dialogue are well-written, and every chapter ends with a cliffhanger-type ending that made me want to keep reading. Rains is an author to watch.
Anna Abner
Feb 03, 2013 Anna Abner rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of any writer that can cram that much paranormal goodness into a novella. The Marquis starts fast and never lets up. Marc, an ex-badass demon, has to destroy another badass demon in order to be happy with his heroine. Christine Rains knows how to go big when it comes to action and emotion. If you like fast-paced supernatural stories, you've got to read The Marquis.
Jossie Solheim
Oct 05, 2013 Jossie Solheim rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the 13th floor collection and it was good. The Marquis was an intriguing character, who was really well developed given the fact that this is a nice short read. Mae his love interest is also a really nice character and I found myself routing for them both in this short but action packed little story.
Mindy (Naughty Book Snitch)
Probably more of a 2.5 star read for me. Very interesting story with your hero as an outcast deamon from Hell. I think this is listed under romance and it really should be under young adult. There is no sex and only one kiss. Still not too bad for an Amazon freebie.
Alex Cavanaugh
Jan 20, 2015 Alex Cavanaugh rated it it was amazing
Christine Rains knows how to write tight prose that draws you into the story quickly. She moves the story a quick pace while developing characters to their fullest. I really liked the character of Marc and the (literal) demons he battled. This is a satisfying story of redemption.
Roimata Paoo
Jan 21, 2014 Roimata Paoo rated it liked it
This was the first dark book I have ever read. It's safe to say that it just not for me, although the writing was excellent and the characters portrayed well, I personally could not handle it. That said, I continued to read the first bit of the alpha and am contemplating reading that.
Tammy Theriault
Feb 27, 2013 Tammy Theriault rated it it was amazing
loved loved loved the book! it wasn't over the top with the supernatural theme, but perfect in every way...i read and finished it in less than 24hrs! can't wait to continue the series
Heather M. Gardner
Jan 02, 2013 Heather M. Gardner rated it it was amazing
Great start to what I hope will be a very interesting series. Enjoyed the characters. The 13th Floor is going to keep us on our toes.
Michelle
Aug 13, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short

And sweet. Nice characters, good plot. I would recommend this book, and I am going to be getting the next in this series and hopefully it is just as good as this one.
Janna
Jun 12, 2014 Janna rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, paranormal
liked it more than I thought I would. actually gonna try the rest of the series. I really like how they are short stories, less than 100 pages
Melissa M Weldon
Melissa M Weldon rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • That Fatal Kiss
  • Polar Night
  • Pop Travel (Pop Travel, #1)
  • Little Boy Dead (Boystown #0.5)
  • Honesty (Mark of Nexus, #2.5)
  • Secondary Characters
  • The Black Madonna (Roundheads and Cavaliers, #1)
  • The Lord of Twink's Bottom
  • Sweet Giordan, Please Remember (Hearts in Reverie #1)
  • Sebastian's Journal
  • Cassastar
  • Incubus (The Incubus Saga, #1)
  • Chalk Butterfly: The Complete Trilogy
  • A Duchess in Name (The Grantham Girls, #1)
  • More Than Just a Good Book, A Novel
  • Cover Me Boxed Set: The Complete Trilogy
  • Rescued by Love
  • Enslaved in Shadows (Shadow Unit, #1)
Christine Rains is a writer, blogger, and geek mom. When she's not playing games with her son, she's playing games with her friends. She has four degrees which do not help at all with motherhood but make her a great Jeopardy player.

Christine has several novellas and short stories published. She's the author of the paranormal romance series, The 13th Floor. She is a member of Untethered Realms and
More about Christine Rains...

The 13th Floor series (5 books)
  • 1302 - The Alpha (The 13th Floor series, #2)
  • 1303 - The Dragonslayer (The 13th Floor series, #3)
  • 1304 - The Harbinger (The 13th Floor series, #4)
  • 1305 & 1306 - The Oracle and The Vampire (The 13th Floor series, #5)