Start by marking “The Gatekeeper (The Keepers: L.A., #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Gatekeeper (The Keepers: L.A., #0.5)

The Gatekeeper (The Keepers: L.A. 0.5)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  499 ratings  ·  52 reviews
ebook, Harlequin Nocturne
Published November 1st 2012 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Gatekeeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gatekeeper

Morgan Wyatt
The Gatekeeper by Heather Graham written in Phillip Marlow gumshoe style is well worth reading, even though it is a prologue disguised as a novella to the Keeper series. You have the jaded detective who is keeping Las Vegas safe from evil doers. The beautiful dame involved works in a nightclub. There is a bad guy, a very bad guy. Did I mention that Saxon, the detective is Elven, or that the dame is part werewolf?

Nope, Saxon is not dealing with werewolves who find every excuse to run naked throu
Cyndi Delia
I'm really excited about this upcoming series of books. The Gatekeeper is a short e-book only novella to give the reader a taste and what a tasty little bite it is.

I have to give Heather Graham credit for writing such a great story in just a handful of pages. Not many authors can do it with such success. It was fast paced and fully developed with great characters.

There's just enough here to whet your appetite for the December release, also by Heather Graham, Keeper of the Night.

Don't miss this
Dianne
Heather Graham did a nice job introducing the reader to a new series with this short prequel that focused on a Las Vegas elven detective, Saxon Kirby, searching for a supernatural killer and part werewolf, Calleigh, a woman searching for her missing sister. Their chemistry works well as they join forces in their quests, which appear to be the work of the same group.

Although intentionally short on pages, each page was crammed with story and the foundation for this new series! The characters were
Irene
UPD: Loved it the second time as well!

Jan. 13, 2013:
The Gatekeeper by Heather Graham is a prequel (I think so) for the future series by several different authors. It gives readers as glimpse at the universe, or rather a bit futuristic LV, where there are a lot of different creatures. And these aren't just common vampires and werevolves. Here we can also see an elf and I think some other fantasy creatures are mentioned.

To tell the truth I think it's the first book, which is not fantasy, that has
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Well, this was a good start. It could have been better if longer. Everything was so rushed. Blink and the crime is solved and the main characters are in love. I went in knowing this was a prequel novella; but it was too rushed.
Janet Juengling-Snell
I download this book because it was free, and to my surprise, to find out that it is a branch off of Heather Graham's The Keepers Trilogy.

I totally fell in love this that trilogy and am now looking forward to this new series.
Jackie
Book Synopsis

Elven detective Saxon Kirby is under pressure to find out who left a gnawed body at a Las Vegas tourist attraction. He already knows what is responsible: a werewolf. The Keeper of the Vegas werewolves is supposed to control his charges, just as Keepers have kept vampires, shifters and other paranormal races in check for over a century. But the local Keeper is weak and there is nothing to stop the murderous wolf--except Saxon.

Saxon's investigation leads him to Calleigh McGowan, a
Kathy Davie
The prequel to The Keepers L.A. paranormal romance series. The couple focus is on Kirby Saxon and Calleigh McGowan with the story taking place in Las Vegas.

This copy was provided by the publisher, Harlequin.

My Take
Oh brother, this was a touch dorky and much too dramatic, always on highly revved. I don't know if Graham did this on purpose to keep readers reading, or if it's just how it turned out. She keeps the action flying so fast that I barely caught who was what. I'd like to see what Graham c
Jessica
I usually like grahams work a lot but I was somewhat disappointed by this one. it was decent enough the eriting and characters were all solid. but for me it lacked that essential spark and so I was kinda bored with it. and the relationship between hero and heroine was too fast and too hokey. it made me want to gag. if I got the first full book in the series I might read it to give her the benefit of the doubt but I wouldn't goout and buy it based on this. definitely won't read again
Shirley
Don’t let my rating sway you. I really did like this novella. It was packed with action, good writing and just enough romance to keep it interesting. I think my only issue was that there was SO much packed into this short read. There were also a lot of characters and paranormals introduced. The power and mythology of each was unique and The Gatekeeper did lay enough foundation to make me want to grab the first book in the series to see exactly where The Keepers: LA takes readers. Since that’s pr ...more
Jenny
This was a short story which is part of The Keepers series which melds mystery romance with the paranormal world of elves, leprechauns, vampires, etc. Elf Saxon Kirby is a Las Vegas policeman who is tasked with solving the disappearances & murders which may lead to the werewolves. The writing was good, but I'm not sure if I was comfortable in this "land."
Shannon
Note: shelved as paranormal-romance and romance-Harlequin just to keep it in logical place for series/publisher but this novella follows a crime/mystery at it's core and doesn't have a lot of romantic elements to it. It does introduces the reader to the world which includes Elven, werewolves, vampires and their keepers and this book is set in Las Vegas.
Pam
I absolutely love this book. I love the eleven race the characters interesting. it did read like Heather Graham suspense type books. not dark at all I found nocturne not as dark as some paranormal I have read.
Angel **Book Junkie**
****************** Stats **********************
Hero : 4 Heroine : 3 Peak Factor:4 Plot:5 Writing:5
**********************************************
Overall Star rating: 4.2

I have not found an author even close to Sherrilyn Kenyon or J.R. Ward when it comes to paranormal books. I loved this prequel and will be reading the rest of The Keepers series very soon. I loved the action, suspense, and I also love the ending with Saxon and Calleigh. This book is intense and keeps you on your toes from the begi
Sara
My first book by Heather Graham, and I don't think I will be reading another one anytime soon. I didn't really care for this story, or the writing.

This was about Saxon. He works for the police, and is investigating a couple murders and disappearances. They live in a world full of supernatural characters. Too many different types is not always a good thing. He is an Elven and he is mostly investigating the werewolves. I can't say too much because it is a short book, but there is a little instant
Melissa Jackson
I enjoyed this short read. The only negative is I wished it was a longer story. I'm looking forward to the series!
Nicki Markus
This book just didn't quite add up for me. It is a prequel to the first book in the Keepers:LA series, so I read this hoping for some insight into the series before reading book one.

The story was okay, but it never fully gripped me and I was particularly underwhelmed by the romance aspect which suddenly jumped out of thin air towards the end in a forced and unbelievable way when the characters had shown no previous emotion in that area.

Overall, I just didn't see the point to this novella as, h
Mare
2 stars? 1.5 stars?
Saxon Kirby is a Vegas detective trying to determine if werewolves are to blame for a recent increase of deaths & disappearances.
A lot is going on in this short novella. almost too rushed. I'm more then likely not gonna finish this series.
Kelly
Enjoyable, although I was expecting more romance. The world is intriguing. Honestly, though, there was almost too much going on for the length of the story. Sill, it was a nice little diversion.

This book was a free Kindle download I picked up 12/11/12 for the Why Buy the Cow? reading challenge.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Amy Softa
Complex new world to explore. I think I have more of the books from this world/series in print. Will have to continue this series for sure. It reminds me of Kim Harrison's Series as well as The Dark Hunter Series. This one is good for people who want more story and less sex than many of the paranormal series seem to revolve around. Well written, full of action and good pace.
Kathie (katmom)
This one was free. I have just read THE KEEPERS #1, so decided to check this one out.

It is really short, and could have answered a few more questions than it did, but it was fun.

Since I had read #1 first, I did get what they were talking about a bit more than someone who may have found this one first.

Those Elven, I like them. And I definitely need more of them!
Trudy Powders
This is a short prequel to an exciting new four book series started by Heather Graham.We are introduced to "The Keepers" Men and women in charge of supernatural beings in their citys.In this story we are introduced to Saxon and Calleigh who are both looking for Calleighs sister.Saxon is made a keeper and is put in charge of all the keepers.And so it begins...
Caro
Pretty good although it was short (a novella). I liked the characters, suspense, mystery, a little window fogging and all of it written well. This got me interested in the series and I'll be looking out for these books now. The fight at the end was pretty good too. The end was a great lead-in for what's to come and whets the appetite. Ready for more... Enjoy
Deyanira Villalta
The creatures that make up the old world underground that has survived for so many generations and centuries need to be kept in line otherwise mankind can be in grave danger. The Keepers of there own kind are essential in maintaining the balance between, Leprechauns, Werewolves, Vampires, and who knows what else is out there that we don't see...
Gerd
Jan 19, 2013 Gerd rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebook
Enjoyed this one a lot.
It's a fast paced, noirish action romp that reminded often of The Other People, by Pat A. Brisco.

A free fifty page eBook novella that effectively wets the appetite for the upcoming novels.
Cathleen
It is never disappointing to pick up a book written by Heather Graham.

The Gatekeeper is another good read in this series. Saxon is elven and a cop. The story opens with a bloodbath. Nineteen dead and forty-nine hospitalized. This story is a paranormal/mystery read that is fast paced and well written.

Nancy Hammond
not too heavy on the romance, more about a club of werewolves attempting to gain their independence from their handlers. A very short story that builds and builds then ends rather abruptly. I guess it will be continued in a sequel novella. I would recommend to read; it is a quick and easy read.
Ciara1973
I didn't know that this is a short story. The characters were flat and had no depth. I didn't feel any connection between the H and h. The mystery was also boring, lacking any kind of suspense. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. This was more of a quick read and time filler.
Erin
This book was o.k. If it had been longer I might have felt a connection with the characters. As it stands I don't think I will be reading the series. Unfortunate because I think this book is the make or break for a lot of readers that got the book as a free ebook.
Nov 29, 2012 Sarah marked it as wishlist
Why is it that so many series novellas aren't available in the UK kindle store? I don't even mind if I have to pay for them but it just really irritates me when my only option is an epub file from the publishers website - I can't read epub files!!! :o(
  • Keeper of the Shadows (The Keepers: L.A. #3)
  • Keeper of the Moon (The Keepers: L.A. #2)
  • Dark Wolf Rising (Bloodrunners, #4)
  • A Taste of Romance
  • Dark Moon (Moon #10; Decorah Security #1)
  • Legacy of the Witch (The Portal, #0.5)
  • Bloodstorm (Heart of a Vampire, #1)
  • A Dragon's Seduction (The Gatekeepers, #1)
  • Light This Candle
  • Cowboy with a Cause (Cowboy Cafe #3)
  • The Wolven (The Keepers Trilogy #3)
  • Wraith's Awakening (Para-Ops, #0.5)
  • Already Home (Sons of Chance #6.2)
  • NightDrake
  • Handsome Bastard (Ancient Blood, #1)
  • Cat Snips
  • Harlequin Holiday Collection: Four Classic Seasonal Novellas
  • Marcus Wilding: Duke of Pleasure (Dangerous Dukes, #1)
Also published as Heather Graham Pozzessere and Shannon Drake.

New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Heather Graham majored in theater arts at the University of South Florida. After a stint of several years in dinner theater, back-up vocals, and bartending, she stayed home after the birth of her third child and began to write, working on short horror stories and romances. After some tria
More about Heather Graham...

The Keepers: L.A. (4 books)
  • Keeper of the Night (The Keepers: L.A. #1)
  • Keeper of the Moon (The Keepers: L.A. #2)
  • Keeper of the Shadows (The Keepers: L.A. #3)
  • Keeper of the Dawn (The Keepers: L.A. #4)
Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2) Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) Ghost Shadow (Bone Island Trilogy, #1) Haunted (Harrison Investigation, #1)