Start by marking “The Glass Coffin (Dance with the Devil #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Glass Coffin (Dance with the Devil #1.5)

The Glass Coffin (Kiss Me at Midnight)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  391 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
On the eve of the new year, Rostislav is summoned to a museum to examine a legendary artifact: the glass coffin from a notorious legend about a vampire who fell in love with a human—a legend as false as Rostislav knows the coffin to be, because everyone knows that vampires don't fall in love with their prey.
Published January 16th 2013 by Less Than Three Press LLC (first published January 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Glass Coffin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glass Coffin

Ami

There is a downside of this being a prequel to Johnnie's first case in Dance in the Dark; those who have read that book know that (view spoiler). In addition, the way this short story begins, readers are immediately dropped in the middle -- there is no story how Rostislav and Jesse first met
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.75*
Why? Why are all the good ones so short?
This is the backstory for Jesse the Vampire and Rostislav a human, that appear in Dance In The Dark.
Rostislav is investigating a mysterious Glass Coffin and brooding over his unrequited love to the Vampire Jesse, since everyone knows that Vampires can't love humans and even if they could it is not allowed.
But things aren't quite like they seem.
Arthur
Jan 16, 2013 Arthur rated it really liked it

This is a story about Rostilav and Jesse, friends of Johnnie in Dance in the Dark. (view spoiler) The story took place before that book, so in a way this is an indirect prequel to that book.

Rostilav, a witch that was known to be a spell breaker, was in middle of a personal struggle that started when he hooked up with Jesse, a handsome
Pete W
Jan 17, 2013 Pete W rated it liked it

This is a prequel to Dance in the Dark with the story of Rostislav get tangled with the infamous glass coffin.

The story began and we got dropped right into the middle. Rostislav who had a tryst with Jesse was called to check out the glass coffin and to break the curse. The way the glass coffin was described was magical to say the least.

(view spoiler)
Serena Yates
Feb 12, 2013 Serena Yates rated it liked it
Shelves: gay
Interesting paranormal variation on Sleeping Beauty. We have the sorcerer who is supposed to lift a curse form the glass coffin, and the vampire who is supposed not to love a human. Combine the two, add a villain after the sorcerer's power, and you get quite a fun tale about the power of true love.

Rostislav, the sorcerer, is the kind of man who will not easily change his mind. He believes certain things, and the fact that vampires do not love humans is one of them, and he will not be swayed. Eve
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

This is a must read for fans of Derr's Dance with the Devil series, and takes us back to a group of characters that we haven't seen in a while, the characters from Dance in the Dark, Johnnie, the Dracula Ontoniel, and Johnnie's friends Jesse Alucard and Rostislav the sorcerer. Though Johnnie shows up only in a small part in this story, it is enough to recognize that this story is at a unique place in the series, a direct prequel to that book, before Johnnie's
Lucy
May 15, 2013 Lucy rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Hearts On Fire Reviews

It doesn’t really cover in this book the backstory behind the why a vampire can’t love a human, why it’s so troublesome, but it definitely is. I haven’t read any of the other stories in this world so all the characters were new to me. It’s a short story and I really wish it had been longer because I liked them all very much.

Rostislav is a human, one who was unfortunate enough to sleep with and fall in love with a vampire, Jesse. Jesse is the good friend of a p
Deeze
Apr 26, 2014 Deeze rated it liked it
Shelves: quick-easy-reads
A nice sweet little short.

I loved the uncertainty for poor Rostislav.

Would of loved to of seen just a little more build up with him and Jesse, but it was a short so I had to make do lol.
Julie
Mar 27, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading Kelly Martin's Shattered Fairy Tale Series. The third installment, The Glass Coffin, is another wonderful addition. The story of Trudy Dodsworth and William Haddington is a sad and woeful tale. As with the previous books in the series, it's not a typical happily ever after story.

Unbeknownst to her, Trudy has lived her life in a bubble - she's believed her life to be a fairy tale that simply doesn't exist and reality is unceremoniously thrust upon her. Not only h
Ayla
This story involves characters from the opening of Dance in the Dark. Was nice to get some extra back story on Jesse & Rostislav....and it made me want to re-read Dance in the Dark again. Always a good thing.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by:Lucy
Genre: M/M Paranormal
Rated: 4 hearts

Check out the review at: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Salsera1974
Really, 3.5 stars. The Glass Coffin is a pleasant short story about Rostislav, a human being who is gifted with abnormal powers - sorcery - and his quest to figure out the mystery of the glass coffin, which allegedly holds a human woman who was trapped inside after falling in love with a vampire. According to legend, only a vampire who loved her could release her. Part of the reason that the story takes on the quality of legend is because of the widespread belief that vampires can't love humans. ...more
Julesmarie
Apr 04, 2015 Julesmarie rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, vampires
Interesting story, but it's been long enough since I read the rest of the series that I wished for a little more background on the characters.
Nina
Feb 07, 2016 Nina rated it liked it
3,5 stars.

Of course I liked this. I love this world Megan Derr created. Rostislav is lovely and I really like that in the end, he (view spoiler). And I absolutely, without a doubt, lovelove Johnny (I've been rereading dance in the dark and dance with the devil for the 100th time), and I love seeing him again in this book. But I really wanted this story to be a little longer and the ending is of course an open ending. It's going to take until the first case of dan
Sarina
Jul 19, 2014 Sarina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This title should really be listed as part of the Dance with the Devil series as it takes place in the same universe and even has Jonnie from the second book in it. I really liked this one and the concept of the glass coffin. I love pretty much everything I've read by this author and if you've read anything in the Dance with the Devil series, you will enjoy this one too.

If you're looking for chronological placement, this would come right after the first book Dance With the Devil.
Amber
Mar 09, 2015 Amber rated it liked it
A blink and you miss it kind of short, but still manages to pull it off. Best to read this series in order.
coflo
Jun 12, 2015 coflo rated it really liked it
Still as interesting as other books of this series. But I think it's better to read this one after finishing book 2, or even finishing book 6 in advance.
Yeay Ornay
Mar 30, 2015 Yeay Ornay rated it liked it
Shelves: entertaining
short, sweet and charming. I would have loved for it to have been longer.
Bytchfemme
Dec 17, 2015 Bytchfemme rated it really liked it
Great take on a classic fairy tale.
Milyd
Nov 25, 2015 Milyd rated it really liked it
Aww the end was cute! I want moooore!
Ayanna
Jan 03, 2014 Ayanna rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
...what is the reading order of this series? I mean, I keep reading them out of order and usually, it's sort of okay-ish, but now I'm starting to think maybe I actually have to read them in order...

Still, I eventually remembered vaguely enough to remember who Rostislav was.

I did rather like it, even if I feel like I should be reading it according to numerical order...
Brandilyn
Jan 09, 2016 Brandilyn rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Prism Book Alliance

In The Glass Coffin, we are introduced to Rostislav and Jesse. Both of whom play a role in future installments in this series. It can stand on it's own, but I recommend reading it before or after book 2, Dance in the Dark. Timeline-wise, it takes place during the early part of Dance in the Dark.

For Complete review see Prism Book Alliance: http://www.prismbookalliance.com/?pos...

Steffany
Jul 02, 2013 Steffany rated it really liked it
This book covers the story between Rostiya and Jesse, I love that couple! I was looking forward to read more about them. It's a very short story, and even though is a prequel of Dance in the Dark, I think is necessary to read it first, because it really doesn't explain too much about the universe in which is set.

Alissa
Oct 16, 2014 Alissa rated it liked it
I wasn't sure how to rate this or if I even should. It's obviously backstory for an upcoming book ... or at least I hope it is. New characters were introduced ... so I was quite lost. The story was interesting enough but it wasn't meant to be a "novel" so of course there wasn't much there to sink your teeth into. I hope the characters and the plot line are picked up in one of the later books. Off to the next book ...
Ilona
Aug 30, 2013 Ilona rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, romance, paranormal
The Characters in this short story had a brief appearance in some of the shorts in the last book I read by Megan Derr. I enjoyed reading more about them and the world she has created. I especially liked how she made fairy tales see more like history for the abnormals in her stories. My only complaint is I am still not sure why Vampires don't fall in love with Humans. Hopefully this will be explained in a later book.
ReviewerLarissa
Jan 25, 2013 ReviewerLarissa rated it really liked it
Definitely a good story. I enjoyed reading the short but sweet tale.
Slightly disappointed that it started in the middle of things and left it mostly unfinished. It would be nice to see a follow story or even as part of another story.

Edit: nevermind! I did not know this was a prequel to Dance in the Dark!
blub
Mar 06, 2013 blub rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-fantasy, mm
A nice short story detailing how Rostislav and Jesse from Dance in the Dark began their relationship.
Rissa
I absolutely love this series! :)
This time it's Rostislav and Jesse's story, well, the beginning of their story! ;)
Elske
Mar 25, 2013 Elske rated it really liked it
Wonderful addition to the series:) want more stories for all the lovely side characters!
Kris
Jan 20, 2013 Kris rated it it was ok
A 2-3 read. Disappointed we never got this couple's entire story.
  • A Shadow of a Dream
  • Bad Moon Rising
  • The Case of the Sinful Santa (End Street Detective Agency #4)
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • Battle of Will
  • Frank-in-Love (Frank-in-Love, #1)
  • A Matter of Disagreement (Mechanical Universe #1)
  • Dracones
  • A Cut Above the Rest
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Firebird and Other Stories (Beings in Love Stories #5)
  • Hell Cop
  • A Pint Light (Vampires & Mages & Weres, Oh My!, #1)
  • Lightning Rod (Broken Mirrors, #2)
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com
More about Megan Derr...

Kiss Me at Midnight (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • Feather's Kiss