Start by marking “The Undead: The First Seven Days” as Want to Read:
The Undead: The First Seven Days

The Undead: The First Seven Days (The Undead #1-7)

A deadly infection spreads across Europe.

The Undead Series: A terrifying account of one man desperately struggling to survive this harrowing event.
Kindle Edition, 1, 826 pages
Published November 12th 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Undead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Undead

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
53rd out of 1,091 books — 2,630 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
188th out of 1,423 books — 3,955 voters

More lists with this book...

Dave Farmer
Apr 16, 2013 Dave Farmer rated it it was amazing
My journey of discovering better than average ebooks by amateur writers has been a somewhat hit and miss affair. I've read a fair number of appalling attempts at fiction by people who should stick to only writing birthday card messages. I keep on reading in the hope of finding evidence that some amateur writers can in fact write, and write well enough to keep me turning the page.

When I stumbled across The Undead: The First Seven Days I was intrigued by the title, for me anything undead is worth
Kevtm
Jul 09, 2014 Kevtm rated it did not like it
Absolutely hated it, and this comes from someone with a huge weakness for zombie novels.

The dialogue is just terrible. As a test, drink a shot every time the protagonist calls someone 'mate'. Wake up on the floor covered in urine and realise that you've only finished one chapter.

I won't even discuss the 'plot'.
Vaira
Jun 03, 2014 Vaira rated it it was amazing
Brilliant epic zombie story. Very well written with great humour and wonderful characters. Highly recommend to any zombie or post apocalypse fan.
David Nelson
Jul 30, 2016 David Nelson rated it liked it
More like a 3.5...

So I keep reading that Haywood is an 'amateur writer', something which I never quite get my head around as by now he's got about 20 published books. I'll come back to that.

Basically this is a zombie outbreak story which is told in a pretty straight-forward, no-frills way. Nothing too arty or weird; just following one person's story and focusing a lot on the fighting and battles - It reads like a zombie B Movie. I happen to really like zombie stories though, particularly the out
Elizabeth
It isn't often I give a book a five star rating, but this was so genuinely fun to read that I couldn't help myself.

This is a collection of the first seven books in an ongoing serial, which I didn't realize when I bought the book. I was happy about it, though - YAY! to reading it all at once.

By far, the most amazing part of this book is the relationship between Howie and Dave. Utterly believable but utterly unique at the same time.

A close second is Howie's evolution through the book, which isn't
Julie Greig
Be prepared to loose time!
Get settled and start ordering the next seven books or - how lovely to compile the series for us - the next weeks worth of the teams adventures.
Each book can be read on it's own but to really get to grips with the depth of the characters it is best to get them in order.
LOVE them all :-)
Freedom
Aug 21, 2016 Freedom rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT ALL...(check all my updates for my reviews for each day) laughed, cried, went through every emotion imaginable...READ THIS READ THIS READ THIS!!!
Noriko
Feb 05, 2016 Noriko rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, zombies
This review is written for audible.co.uk:

(Am I allowed to post reviews from another site? Because I listened to this as an audiobook)

What made the experience of listening to The Undead the most enjoyable?

I think what drew me into the series at first was, 1) the protagonist being an Everyman and a normal guy, and 2) the fact that it is set in England - something I don't see a lot in zombie audiobooks quite often. When the book starts, we're introduced to our main protagonist, Howie, who quickly
Shana Festa
Jan 01, 2014 Shana Festa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies, best-of-2013
Let's start this review off with a big WOW! The Undead series is nothing short of amazing. I read the entire thing in a mere four days and was sad to see it end. It shocked me to find the series has yet to be picked up.

RR Haywood spins a tale of Mr. Howie, a night shift grocery worker as he fights off the wretched undead and meets some pretty awesome people along the way. Howie first teams up with Dave, a fellow co-worker at the store. Dave is a killing machine, methodical and devoid of social
Nick
Aug 27, 2013 Nick rated it really liked it
This is a fast paced and fun book. It's a serious zombie book, but with a touch of "Sean of the dead" style humor that makes it just a little bit special.

Theres a lot not to like. The fight scenes are a bit repetitive - and often unrealistic (2 guys ploughing into a horde of zombies every hour or so with a couple of knives and and axe, and coming out completely unscathed?) . The concept of the virus being intelligent and consciously evolving itself made me irrationally annoyed because again thi
Steven
Mar 26, 2016 Steven rated it liked it
Like a lot of people, I like the Walking Dead and have been looking for a similar quality novel to read. Saw the 5 star reviews for this and got the first seven days collection. There are no spoilers about characters in this review, by the way.
For me the book was a little disappointing, mainly because there is plenty of detail about the fighting etc but little in the way of character development. I also think it shows up that it was written as seven separate "day" novels and so the same sorts of
Ian
Oct 07, 2014 Ian rated it did not like it
Despite being a huge fan of classic old zombie movies and thoroughly enjoying The Walking Dead comic and TV series I've never felt compelled to try out zombie fiction. Due to the tremendous amount of five star reviews I thought I'd give this a go.

It's terrible. I've no idea what the intended age range is, I'd probably have loved it in my mid teens, but as a forty something adult I'm looking for a lot more plot. Well, any plot would be nice. I've given up on it a quarter of the way through, the s
Aug 13, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
When I start reading a book, I expect to have a wonderful time all the way through it. If it's a zombie novel, I obviously expect lots of zombies and tension. As rare as it might be, this book turned out to be all that it promised; very fast-paced, entertaining and funny, It is definitely not high literature for elevated souls, but it's written in a very convincing way with sometimes repetitive dialogues that bring more reality to the plot.
There was just one point I didn't quite understand whic
S.L. Figuhr
Aug 18, 2013 S.L. Figuhr rated it liked it
I picked this book up from the suggestion of another reader and enjoyed it very much. The author's unique view of the zombie virus made it different enough from all the others to add variety. The main character undergoes quite the personal transformation from the beginning of the book to the end.

All the people he meets along the way just adds to the enjoyment, and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series. The only problem I had is that the characters are more like rob
Stu
Jan 05, 2016 Stu rated it liked it
It's not bad, it's just lacking in depth. The 'rules' of the universe aren't consistent - people infected from tiny, miniscule amounts of the virus, yet others are put in situations where they'd clearly be infected. Later in the work we start getting bits about 'watching out for cut knuckles' etc. so I think Haywood belatedly realised it would have to be explored, but it was a bit late.

Due to Kindle Unlimited I'll happily finish the series, but it's a shame they aren't just that little bit bette
Madalyn
Mar 18, 2016 Madalyn rated it really liked it
Cracking zombie book, loved the relationship between Howie and Dave and the pacing and action was relentless (good relentless). One star off for the constant gay jokes, yeah I get that blokes like these like a bit of banter but they got repetitive and juvenile, at one point I actually thought is this author homophobic - still, that aside a bloody good story and the writing seemed to get better and better as the story progressed. Really fascinating giving the infection a voice and personality too
Kat Jenkins
Jun 29, 2015 Kat Jenkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this after listening to a free short story from Audible.com. If you like zombie fare, this is great, though somewhat gorier than many others I've read. Haywood goes on and on when he's describing gory things, and while it's a little excessive (and really, really gross) the overall story makes it tolerable.

I listened to it as an audio book, and Dan Morgan's narration is fantastic.

I'm well into book 2.
Marshall Mutch
Jun 02, 2014 Marshall Mutch rated it it was amazing
Best zombie book i have read,have read most of your zombie e-books on your list,there are some great authors,but Richard is head and shoulders above most of them.Tired of the same boring Undead,want a mix of something old and new,he takes it to a new level,funny,wonderful storyline,characters which would make the Walking Dead cry,if you are only going to buy one author it has to be Richard.
Jeff
Jan 24, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it
This zombie apocalypse story is divulged as a serial. Each book covers a day in the new-life of our heroes. The feel of this book is almost comic, like Shawn of the Dead. We come across unbelievable characters who seem to be clinging to their old life as if the cannot accept the world has changed. Perhaps this will change as time moves on. The story seems stifled by awkward moral dilemmas.
Kaye Kelly
Apr 07, 2016 Kaye Kelly rated it it was amazing
Brilliant british zombies

These books are a great read. I have read hundreds of zombie books and this one is well up there in the bests. The relationship between Howie and Dave is great to read the banter is hilarious. Good humour, generous amounts of gore all in the great british isles!!!
Anita Benjamin
May 31, 2016 Anita Benjamin rated it it was amazing
This ENTIRE series (so far, more coming) is EXCELLENT! The writer, R.R. Haywood, does an excellent job of keeping you in suspense and giggling at the antics of the characters. The idea of his zombies in unusual and compelling, making you wonder why THEY will do next. Looking forward to Day 20!!!
Dan Deluca
Mar 21, 2015 Dan Deluca rated it it was amazing
Great Zombie Story

The story, you've heard it all before... But that's just how it starts out... It begins to change and become very original.. Also... The characters are pretty awesome.
bernice
Jun 16, 2016 bernice rated it it was amazing
Wow

I am beyond impressed with this series! I'll be totally honest, I started out a little sceptical but by page 3, I was caught hook, link and sinker! I love everything about this Author and this book series and can not recommend it more.
Onto 'The Second Week' Woo Hoo
jacqueline  tee
Jan 16, 2016 jacqueline tee rated it it was amazing
Very Good

Enjoyed this one, finding it a good read and enjoyed the cake and coffee I may even see if their more book from this author
Rodney George
Apr 02, 2013 Rodney George rated it it was amazing
This one started off a little slow but I found myself unable to put it down. Love the characters in the story. Great book.
simon
Jan 27, 2016 simon rated it it was amazing
Great.5 out of 5.

Awesome book look forward to more.
Very well written you really feel for the characters.
Would recommend to everyone who likes a bit of Gore with their Gore.
Gill
Jul 18, 2014 Gill rated it it was amazing
Great enthralling book, from a dull supermarket manager to Zombie killer supreme Howie adapts wonderfully
andrew bell
Dec 11, 2015 andrew bell rated it it was amazing
Bloody riveting

Can you imagine that world ending Haywood does and brings you into a world turned upside down and gives entertainment to the readers
Sianee Tapp
Feb 04, 2014 Sianee Tapp rated it it was amazing
5 stars just isnt enough. this fast paced action packed series is incredible! edgy funny and so completely gripping. I LOVE IT!!!
Jacob Jensen
Jacob Jensen rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
  • Season of the Dead
  • A Taste of You
  • Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time
  • Cure (Strandville Zombie Series, #1)
  • Rise
  • Bad Blood (Double Dead, #1.5)
  • 900 Miles (900 Miles #1)
  • Dead Again (The Zombie Diaries #1)
  • The Zombie Wilson Diaries
  • Evolution (LZR-1143, #2)
  • Contagion: A Novel of the Living Dead
  • Trudge (Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Boat
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • The Reawakening
  • After (The Phoenix Curse, #1)
  • Zomblog (Zomblog, #1)
RR Haywood was born in Birmingham, England but has spent most of his life living on the beautiful south coast. He has had a passion for reading for as long as he can remember.
One of his favourite genres is Post-Apocalyptic fiction and he has worked his way through every book he could find. Some were great and some not so great and what he wanted was a minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day det
More about R.R. Haywood...

The Undead (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Undead Day One
  • The Undead Day Two
  • The Undead Day Three
  • The Undead Day Four
  • The Undead Day Five
  • The Undead Day Six
  • The Undead Day Seven
  • The Undead Day Eight (The Undead #8)
  • The Undead Day Nine