Start by marking “Murder In the Synagogue” as Want to Read:
Murder In the Synagogue
read book

Murder In the Synagogue

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  6 reviews
On Lincoln’s birthday, 1966, a young man stood on the bimah of a multi-million dollar synagogue in suburban Detroit and, confronting his audience of 700 with the Colt .32 revolver he would soon use to commit murder and suicide, he announced:

“This congregation is a travesty and an abomination. It has made a mockery by its phoniness and hypocrisy of the beauty and spirit of
ebook
Published July 2nd 2012 by TLC Media

To ask other readers questions about Murder In the Synagogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder In the Synagogue

Dan
Reading a book like this is something that is difficult to describe. There's no fiction involved, it's a relatively straightforward reporting of the life and death of a tormented young man and the man, truly more of a symbol, he killed in a murder suicide. I have a vague recollection of this event - I was 8 years old at the time and it happened in a neighboring community - mostly I recall news reports and discussion at our local temple - not with any detail, just that it happened. The book is we ...more
Teresa Collins
I finished Murder in the Synagogue several days ago and I'm still at a bit of a loss at how to review it. It is fascinating, intimidating, heartbreaking, and frustrating all at the same time. The book is the story of the murder of Rabbi Morris Adler by Richard Wishnestsky and Richard's immediate suicide. When these events took place I was a young 14 year old girl, more concerned with Herman's Hermits and the Beatles than what was going on in the world around me. Yet Mr LoCicero's writing easily ...more
Leigh Clemons
I am not a big fan of true crime books. I find most of them to err on the side of sensationalism, and the authors tend to exhibit a good deal of bias in presenting "the facts" of the case that is off-putting. However, I found LoCicero's recounting of the circumstances surrounding this 1966 murder/suicide to be fairly balanced and objective. He refrained from making overt pronouncements until the epilogue, which allowed the reader to digest the information presented and come to his/her own conclu ...more
Deb Novack
After reading this book I can not understand why the publishers tried to suppress the sales on this story. It is factual and truthful. This tells the story of a young man's descent into mental illness, it also tells what happens when no one in his family does nothing until it is to late. I have sympathy for both his family and the family of Rabbi Adler.

I also am going to read Squelched: The Suppression of Murder in the Synagogue.
Christoph Fischer
"Murder in the Synagogue" by T.V. LoCicero is a meticulously researched work of non fiction about an act of terror/ violence in a synagogue in 1966, on the day of Abraham Lincoln's birthday in June.
LoCicero tells with descriptive accuracy and astonishing objectivity the life of the perpetrator Richard Wishnetsky, a 23 year old Jewish man, by using eye witness accounts and explaining the socio-cultural, religious, ethnic and personal background of Wishnetsky and his generation.
It was this section
Vanda Bromwich
A very interesting book giving an insight into the Jewish way of life and the importance of education to the Jews. It tells the true story of the murder of a Jewish Rabbi by a very bright young Jewish man whose insanity caused him to shoot the rabbi before turning the gun on himself.
Susan Skinner
Susan Skinner marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
April Krause
April Krause marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
יואל דוידי
יואל דוידי marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Kayla Boesche
Kayla Boesche marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Aliza
Aliza marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Ida
Ida marked it as to-read
Sandi
Sandi marked it as to-read
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Cristina Sanchez
Cristina Sanchez marked it as to-read
Edward Solano
Edward Solano marked it as to-read
Roger Dearborn
Roger Dearborn marked it as to-read
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Clarissa Facundo
Clarissa Facundo marked it as to-read
Danelle
Danelle marked it as to-read
Sheila Chandler
Sheila Chandler marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
  • Unanswered Cries: A True Story Of Friends, Neighbors, And Murder In A Small Town
  • Escaping the Arroyo
  • Killer Nurse
  • Death Trap
  • Restless Souls: The Sharon Tate Family's Account of Stardom, the Manson Murders, and a Crusade for Justice
  • Savage Spawn: Reflections on Violent Children
  • Learn to Tie a Tie with the Rabbit and the Fox: Story with Instructional Song
  • Lost Girls
  • Sleep My Darlings: The true story of a mother who killed her children in cold blood
  • Have a Nice Weekend
  • Slices
  • Love is a Promise Kept
  • Murder in Little Egypt
  • And They Called Her Spider (Bartleby and James Adventures - Galvanic Century - Book 1)
  • High School Substitute Teacher's Guide: YOU CAN DO THIS
  • Zack & Zoey's Alien Apocalypse -or- Alien Busting Ninja Adventure (Z&Z Book 1)
  • The Shifters of 2040 (Shifter Evolutions, #3)
  • Letters from Wishing Rock: a novel with recipes (Wishing Rock, #1)
T.V. LoCicero has been writing both fiction and non-fiction across five decades. He's the author of the true crime books Murder in the Synagogue (Prentice-Hall), on the assassination of Rabbi Morris Adler, and Squelched: The Suppression of Murder in the Synagogue. His novels include the coming-of-age story Sicilian Quilt, the romance When A Pretty Woman Smiles, and the crime thrillers The Car Bomb ...more
More about T.V. LoCicero...
The Obsession (The Truth Beauty Trilogy, #1) The Disappearance (The Truth Beauty Trilogy, #2) The Car Bomb (The detroit im dyin Trilogy, Book 1) Squelched: The Suppression of Murder in the Synagogue Admission of Guilt (The detroit im dyin Trilogy, Book 2)