Start by marking “The Hitchhiker” as Want to Read:
The Hitchhiker

The Hitchhiker (Point Horror)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  1,177 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Another chilling thriller from master of horror R.L. Stine, creator of Fear Street and the Cheerleaders series. He wants a ride. She wants a thrill. So, in spite of her best friend's arguments, Christina stops to pick up the handsome hitchhiker. He's everything she thought he'd be. And more. Much, much, more. Enough to thrill Christina and Terri . . . to death.
Published January 1st 1993 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Hitchhiker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hitchhiker

Kazzy  Stallwood
Good little story.

R.L. Stine used to be a favourite of mine when I was a kid - obviously through Goosebumps, which, looking back wasn't the most scariest of things ever - but I was a kid! It was scary enough then!

I found this book lying around in an old cupboard a few months ago and tossed it aside, thinking I'd read it. After reading a particularly emotional book already today I picked it up, looking for an easy read. It is an easy read, I'll give you that, but it has enough plot twists, thril
Kris Lugosi
Holy crap, hitchhiking is not what it use to be! I would have been killed three pages in if I were these girls!
Myra Khan
I'm not really an R.L. Stine fan. I was never crazily into the Goosebumps series or Fear Street and the few I tried to read seemed boring and repetitive to me. I expected the same when I started this book, but wow, was I surprised or what. I loved the story and was surprised at various points throughout the book. A great read.
Kelly
I just loved these books when I was a teen! I've reread several of them in my adult years, just for fun, and find that I still enjoy them. I recently grabbed a pile of them from my local used book store and took a few to the beach with me. I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes a couple of times while reading this one, and remind myself to just appreciate it for what it is!
Elena
Embarrassingly enough, I actually liked this.
Olivia
HITHIKER WAS A VERY GOOD BOOK....I REALLY ENJOYED IT.. r.l STINE IS ONE OG MY FAVORITE AUTHORS.....
Jimbo Pantas
FUCK.

--the first word that came out of my mouth once I finished reading the last chapter. I was emotionally paralyzed for a couple of minutes. I couldn't believe it. R.L. Stine is a genius! All the time I was thinking and fearing the supposed antagonist when in fact... Tsk. I couldn't believe I was fooled! And I'm sure as fuck that all who have read this novel feel the same way too.

Let me expound why I gave it 5 stars.

The Plot
A lot of things were really happening in the story. And I like how th
Kim Lauwers
I wanted a quick read and found this in my digital library (60% of the books in that library I got from my neighbour, so i keep finding little treasures here and ther :-) ) Since I liked the Goosebumps and Fear Street series so much as a kid I thought it might be a nice nostalgic trip down memory lane (it's no like I remember any books that I read 15 years ago so little chance of my memory spoiling the story for me)

This book did for me what it needed to do at that moment. It was very easy to rea
Donna
The beginning of THE HITCHHIKER started off incredibly ridiculous in that two teenager girls, maybe 16? One only having a driver’s permit, are allowed to drive from Cleveland to the southern tip of Florida for a vacation by themselves. On their way back they pick up a hitchhiker, which one of the girls starts totally drooling over because things like this happen in real life.

I get it. I need to suspend my disbelief. But one thing I’m learning in my Summer of Cheese pseudo-experiment is that Stin
sunshine
I remember reading this book when I was in year 5 (5th grade).
I absolutely loved it ( and I still do even though It's been 6 years), it was thrilling and I just wanted to carry on reading and reading.

The feeling this book gave me is indescribable, I just cannot describe the way it made me feel. It was amazing at that time reading a horror book, turning the pages to a new mystery, a new thriller.

I read many books of R.L Stine in year 5 and also below that year (they mostly included Goosebump Book
Melissa Namba
I remember reading this one as a kid. I am starting to think that the books not based on Fear Street were a little better than the Fear Street books. The little twist at the end was obviously not a surprise to me this time around because I actually remembered this book. I can't say that about most of the other R.L. Stine books. Like the other books, it is fairly direct and to the point. Not a lot of description going on. Not a book for the literati, but fine for a middle school kid.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
So reminds me of that movie Hitcher.

Just as the title suggests, you have two girls, a hitchhiker, cruising along the road, its not long till they find trouble.

I will say that the ending I didn't see coming, thinking it was going one way but went in an entirely different way. Especially the who done what and who would survive.

Not a bad twist. And something different. Which was nice with most of these reads.

Pretty good. Makes me want to read the books in the series.
Jaimie
Kency
I loved reading R.L Stine as an elementary school student and this is the book that started my R.L. Stine phase. I recommend it to anyone with a thirst for mystery and suspense.
Luis godinez
The book was good it was about a guy who hitched hiked to his cousins house.
He robbed a old mans car and killed him he was on the news but know one found him.
Sarah Chambers
This is excellent point horror twists and turns, is the bad guy really bad? Loads of fun and one of the better point horrors. R.L Stine at his best, Stephen King with fewer pages, loved it.
BookCupid
R.L.Stine knows how to plot a good story with so few pages. The book had its usual twisted ending, and lustful characters. Still remains a favorite.
Feb 04, 2014 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I had forgotten what a good Author this guy was keeps u guessing right till the end. A good book to read if you want something simple and not to tough to get your head round
Melissa
This one was pretty good! Definitely had some great plot twists!

Fasten your seatbelt! It's gonna be a deadly ride!!
Amy Healey
This book was the reason I started to love reading. I can never give this book a high enough rating.
Winson Chin(nese) Chen
In this book, a girl named Christina was willing to kill two of her friends just so she would be the only one to know that she killed an innocent man. If I were one of the two friends, I would do my best to try escaping and calling a police. I would just pretend to be dead after Christina attempted to kill me and then quickly escape.
Zehra
Haven Angel
well ive read this book a bunch of times.
and i never get board.
The plot is great, and the ending twist makes you think that people arnt always who they seem......

just rereadit today 2012 may 16
i read it one day and i still loved it
syazana kamsari
Oh i love horror books...just like this one.Well you cannot just judge people by how they talk and react,the bad ones can just be the innocent looking one...muahahahahah!This story hold a climax till the end...where the truth is really revealed....
M-Tear
Mystery really liked this book!! She loves the characters and the roles that they each play.
Honestly though, it was like plot twist after plot twist, Mystery couldn't believe it when it all came to her!
Recommended, seriously recommended.
Toni King
It was a predictable thriller - 'cause it's a book for teens, and I'm reading it now when I'm 28... so, what did I expect really? Ah, well... another check off of the "books-I-have-in-my-personal-library-that-I-have-never-read" list. :)
Juliet
I so remember reading this book YEARS ago. I just remembered about it the other day. It's pretty good, I liked it. It's a good mystery book, so those mystery lovers, poeple who like things like Nancy Drew, this is a good book.
Elizabeth
Ok I have to say this is one of my favorite books from R.L. STINE and from my list!
I recommend it, I even got some of my friends to read it and they rate it with 5 stars!
wonderful book!
Emily
I was really into horror books in Jr. High. I'm pretty sure I read this one and a couple other R.L. Stine books before he became popular with his Goosebumps series.
Lindsay
I just found this while searching for something else and I forgot how much I loved the R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike books when I was in middle school.
  • The Watcher
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Invitation (Point Horror, #20)
  • Mother's Helper (Point Horror, #14)
  • The Phantom
  • The Waitress
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • The Perfume
  • The Yearbook
  • The Ripper

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Point Horror (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • Prom Dress
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • The Baby-Sitter II (Point Horror, #17)
  • The Babysitter IV
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)