Start by marking “David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1)” as Want to Read:
David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1)

David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives From God's Word)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  1,167 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
David, unlike any Bible character before him, had the charisma to inspire a great nation. Yet in other ways he was a most ordinary man-often gripped by destructive passion, rocked by personal trag
Published February 26th 1997 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about David, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about David

Jim
May 11, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
David is a man that all persons can relate to. He experience every temptation I know. At least the ones i have face. Even though God called him "A man after my own heart" David committed the most ghastly of sins. Swindoll presents a vivid picture of a man like us all; struggling to do what is right and struggling to hid sin. If you don't want to see your shortcomings, don't read this book. If you want to know human nature and the love of God, READ IT.
Rose Griffith
Nov 23, 2014 Rose Griffith rated it it was amazing
With intermittent reading of the Old Testament, David was an enigma to me. After reading this book, I feel like I know and understand his character, actions and why he is often referred to with the line: David had a heart for God.

Mr Swindoll brings David alive to the reader like a great history professor I once had (James Morrison), bringing his flaws to the fore, not hiding them to make David larger than life. There were times I felt I could identify with his shortcomings and times I simply adm
Rachel
It's taken me 3 years to finally complete reading this book, not because of it's length however – I just get too distracted in my reading habits! It was good to dig back into this book and finally finish it up.

Though David is a well-known and well-loved character of mine it was wonderful getting an in-depth look at his life laid out completely in this way and unbroken, as it often fails to do in church sermons of course. Charles Swindoll takes you verse by verse, chapter by chapter, story by sto
smalls
Feb 23, 2007 smalls rated it it was amazing
This particular book was hard for me to get through. I actually stopped half way through. I think it is because I was comparing David's life to Joseph's life. I read Joseph right before this one. The two are so different. I got very confused with what God was allowing here with the two men. But if I would have continued to read, I would have seen the consequences of David's actions. Even though he was still concidered a man after God's own heart, he had consequences for his sins. It affected not ...more
John Hibbs
Apr 26, 2011 John Hibbs rated it did not like it
I started to diligently read this book but started skimming and quickly realized it wasn't worth my time. This is a watered down version of the real lessons to be learned from the life of David. We have the advantage of knowing how things turn out when we read the Bible and this colors our interpretations of the Old Testament stories, in particular. If you read this book, please do it in the light in which it was written--as a book for beginning Christians who have not given up the baby food. If ...more
James Kim
I love Chuck Swindoll's writing and sermons. This is another very good book. A wonderful way to get to know the person of David, the King of Israel.

The reason this book only gets 3 stars from me is because Swindoll doesn't deal with the final chapter of David's life when he instructs Solomon to get even with David's old enemies. I find that to be a sad chapter to David's life and was curious about how Swindoll would deal with that but Swindoll leaves it out. I would have appreciated his thought
Charles Jr.
Mar 27, 2012 Charles Jr. rated it it was amazing
This book gives us an in depth look at David's life. David was truly a man of Passion and Destiny. What better way to see Romans 8:28 in action than to look at the life of the man that the Bible declares as being after God's own heart. Swindoll's entire book series is great and very helping in providing spiritual insight encouragement through the life of biblical characters. I have read through it 3 times and each time I seem to glean more and more.
Matias
Dec 10, 2012 Matias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exelente! Pocos libros tienen esta mezcla tan profunda, pero a la vez tan práctica. La pluma de Swindoll es sencillamente maravillosa; realmente logra que uno se lance a la aventura del estudio biográfico junto con él, escarbando, gozando, llorando y sufriendo con el mismo David. Sin duda, un libro muy recomendado.
Katie
Sep 23, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I read this one chapter per day as my Bible study. I loved focusing on one person and working my way through a book of the Bible at the same time.
Trooper1048
Apr 25, 2010 Trooper1048 rated it it was amazing
A very good christian book to read.
Justin carpita
Dec 31, 2008 Justin carpita rated it it was amazing
swindoll brings bible charecters to life like noone else.
Tiffany  Ashcraft
Jan 11, 2009 Tiffany Ashcraft rated it it was amazing
i thought it was a great book and it taught me a few things about friendship!
Al Campbell
Nov 22, 2016 Al Campbell rated it it was amazing
What an outstanding book by Swindoll. He captures and amplifies a personal side of David that I have never been able to see in the OT passages of his life. As I read the texts now, it is right there in plain sight. I find myself rereading Chronicles and Kings after reading this book, looking for more clues to the kind of man David was, as well as those people around him. David is such a special biblical character. Declared a man after God's own hear, not by men, but by God...how amazing is that ...more
Jean Cowden
Nov 19, 2016 Jean Cowden rated it it was amazing
I love these book by Swindoll, of the men and women of the Bible. He brings their characters to life. Helps us to understand their motives and why they did what they did. He throws in the culture of the times and lessons on what we should do. Worth reading.
Rob Culler
Dec 25, 2016 Rob Culler rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! A great book to teach through.
Ramonita Rodriguez
Jun 24, 2016 Ramonita Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
What an awesome book on the life of an awesome man after God's heart, Israel beloved king! Totally enjoyed this book, clear explanations, stories and personal recollections by the author. You will be transported to biblical times and will encounter first hand accounts of David's life. You will see young David during his sojourn as a youthful pastor and will learn about his encounters with wild animals, his love and passion for his family's flock and the tender care he provided. Afterwards, you w ...more
Angela Dawn
Sep 25, 2016 Angela Dawn rated it really liked it
David has always interested me because he was called a man after God's own heart. I enjoyed reading this walk through his life, both the good and the sinful and watching David always eventually seek God. The only thing I did not like about the book is a couple of person religious views stated by Swindoll. It is an easy read--great for the simple believer, not for the scholar or preacher. Nice.
Steve
Feb 21, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
Mr. Swindoll does an excellent job of taking us through the life of David. He does not do it in a dry “David went here”, “David did this” way; instead he takes the time to teach us that David was more like us than we realize. Yes, David was a great Godly man but he was in the end just a man facing the same issues we face in our own lives. Mr. Swindoll uses David’s victories and failures to illustrate how we can apply the lessons we learn from David’s life to our own lives. The bottom line is tha ...more
Daniel
Feb 27, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it
Excellent devotional book. Swindoll does excellent work balancing story telling with personal application. A great resource for those who are interested in doing the hard work of fine tuning their character and convictions. Swindoll clearly loves David, and writes with great affection as well as intellectually honest criticism of someone he clearly considers a personal hero.

One stand-out theme of the book is the value of doing the best at what you are given in "a time such as this". David wore
Clara Roberts
Oct 27, 2014 Clara Roberts rated it it was amazing
I thought I knew everything about King David until I read this book. There were so many insights that I had never thought of. Swindoll shows that despite terrible, grievous sin committed by David; David still had "a teachable, humble spirit" when confronted with his sin. David brought on most of his problems by his personal behaviour. In discussing David's polygamy, Swindoll quote Alexander Whyte "Polygamy is just Greek for a dunghill." Truly that was true for David. Lo Dobar is mentioned many t ...more
Jeff
Dec 12, 2011 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-book-list
I highly recommend these biographies by Charles Swindoll. The first one I read was on Paul. Excellent. This one was just as good.

Some take-aways:

* You'll never regret forgiving someone who doesn't deserve it.
* Pray this prayer: "The battle is Yours, Lord. It is Your battle. I lean on You. I give You my skills and abilities, and I stand before You, trusting You." Never forget: The battle is the Lord's.
* A true test of humility is when you pray for God to use others: "Magnify Your name through
Scott Wozniak
Feb 23, 2015 Scott Wozniak rated it it was ok
This isn't really a biography. It does follow the life of David, but each event is used as a jumping off point to delivering a mini-sermon. The jealousy of Saul leads to a sermon on the dangers of comparing yourself to others. And the fact that David wrote many of the Psalms prompts a challenge to use the Psalms more in your personal devotions.

These many sidebars distracted from the story, to the point that we had to catch back up time and again. And then details of his life were glossed over/s
Chad Williams
Jan 04, 2015 Chad Williams rated it it was amazing
I love this series by Chuck Swindoll. I started this book as part of a men's group I was a part of but we never got through it. Looking for my next devotional I worked through the second half myself.

David's life is so full of everything we struggle with. The good and the bad. I personally found Swindoll's 'lessons learned' at the end of each chapter so relevant to my life. After reading this book it is clear to me why God put the story of David in the Bible. We have so much to learn from David'
Bchara
Jan 20, 2016 Bchara rated it really liked it
It is a telling of David's life, where each of David's actions, or the most important of them, is studied from a religious point of view, and used as a meditating platform to learn religious lessons.
The author's way of retelling David's or God's words in a "daily" language did get on my nerves at times, but, in general, his style is smooth, and points out thoughts i would never have figured out reading Samuel books alone. it was a beneficial Easter read.
Little importance was given to historica
Raven
Jul 03, 2014 Raven rated it it was amazing
I do not understand how I have not found Charles R. Swindoll before now.

His teachings are accurate and based completely on the Bible. Swindoll is one of the most humble and most intelligent pastors I have read.

I enjoyed this book so much that I just bought two more books from this series; one on Elijah and one on Paul.

Though obviously steeped in Christianity, these books are not in-your-face preachy nor are they rude or mean. They are intelligent, thought provoking and excellently written.

Go
Darrell
Dec 28, 2012 Darrell rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely brilliant. Swindoll provides us with a probing look into the life of King David, the fearless young man who spent most of his young adult life trying NOT to kill the king and spent his fading years trying to help his own family. But as we meet troubled times in our lives, we can look at his songs and begin to understand who this man was. Thanks to Charles Swindoll for being our guide.
Jody
Feb 23, 2009 Jody rated it it was amazing
This is such a fantastically educational book and yet it seems like I'm just hanging out with someone while they tell me the story of King David. Like a grandpa might tell a child a bedtime story. I'm loving it!

What a great character study of one of the worlds greatest kings...and truth be told he was a very faulted man. I learned a lot about myself through watching him lead, follow God and fall on his face.

Christina
Apr 10, 2008 Christina rated it it was amazing
This book was so awesome. It goes through the whole life of King David. Chuck Swindoll just has a way with telling the story. I learned so much and this book really gave me an easy basis to remember and build on when learning about David's life from other sources or just when I'm reading any part of the bible about or from him.
Kathy
Nov 03, 2007 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-study
David was an extraordinary man, with his intelligence, good looks, literary and musical talents, as a warrior, and as king. He was also an ordinary man dealing with destructive passion and family tragedy. Through all of his life he was a "man after God's own heart". Devotion doesn't mean perfection.
Josh
Sep 12, 2016 Josh rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
What I liked most about this book is that Charles Swindoll takes David, a pretty abstract character in the Bible and writes about him in such a way that you feel like you're getting to know an actual person. He doesn't just talk about the good things in his life; he talks about all of his mistakes. He makes David a real, identifiable person.
  • The Pursuit of Man: The Divine Conquest of the Human Heart
  • Every Thought Captive: Battling the Toxic Belifs That Separate Us from the Life We Crave
  • The Jesus You Can't Ignore: What You Must Learn from the Bold Confrontations of Christ
  • The Body
  • Reaching for the Invisible God: What Can We Expect to Find?
  • The Great House of God
  • 50 People Every Christian Should Know: Learning from Spiritual Giants of the Faith
  • Weigh Down Diet
  • The Epistles to the Colossians, to Philemon, and to the Ephesians (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Art of Forgiving
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • The Epistles of Paul to the Colossians and Philemon (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • The Name
  • Hear No Evil: Marching in the Lord's Army, Fleeing the Devil, and Finding a Righteous Groove
  • What Happens When Women Pray
  • The Lady's Confession (Hampshire Books)
  • Thin Within
  • The Message of Romans: God's Good News for the World
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra ...more
More about Charles R. Swindoll...

Great Lives From God's Word (9 books)
  • Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2)
  • Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)
  • Moses: A Man of Selfless Dedication (Great Lives From God's Word 4)
  • Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives from God's Word, #5)
  • Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)
  • Job: A Man of Heroic Endurance (Great Lives from God's Word Series, Volume 7)
  • Facinating Stories of Forgotten Lives: Rediscovering some Old Testament Characters (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 8)
  • Jesus: The Greatest Life of All (Great Lives Series)

“David was faithful in the first and the third; but being a man of passion, he failed in the second. And even though his wives and concubines increased, his passion was not abated. This king who took another man’s wife already had a harem full of women. The simple fact is that the passion of sex is not satisfied by a full harem of women; it is increased. Having many women does not reduce a man’s libido, it excites it . . . it stimulates it. David, being a man with a strong sexual appetite, mistakenly thought, To satisfy it, I will have more women.” 0 likes
“But if you like shallow lyrics and easy-to-hum-along-with ditties, then you’re not going to enjoy the Psalms. The Psalms are for folks who have decided that music is an art that requires the discipline of keen thinking and a heart that is right before God. It is music for the mature. It is not a superficial statement. There are a few, of course, that are very popular: Psalms 1, 23, 91, 100, and parts of 119. But for the most part, only the” 0 likes