Start by marking “Death on Deadline” as Want to Read:
Death on Deadline

Death on Deadline (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  1,254 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
To save his favorite newspaper, Nero Wolfe steps into the crossfire of a tabloid war.

Master sleuth Nero Wolfe’s small circle of friends is limited to his assistant, Archie Goodwin; his chef, Fritz; and Lon Cohen, the head man at the New York Gazette. Cohen knows more about the city’s power structure than any man in Manhattan, and for years, he happily passed Wolfe informa
Published November 13th 2012 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Death on Deadline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death on Deadline

John Yeoman
Jan 30, 2015 John Yeoman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, this novel does it! Goldsborough trots out the familiar tropes - Wolfe's irascibility, Archie's backtalk, the stagey denouement scene à la Poirot, etc - but this time his craft work is excellent. My fingers itched to annotate every paragraph. Seamless scene transitions, inventive body language, plus a thousand creative ways to say 'S/he scowled'. And a last-chapter twist that's genuinely a surprise. It works.
Stephen
Oct 24, 2014 Stephen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Adam Graham
Robert Goldsborough's 2nd Nero Wolfe novel began poorly but improved to mediocrity by the end.

Wolfe is concerned that a Scottish newspaper baron with a reputation for sensationalism will purchase the Gazette, Wolfe's long time ally and source of information. Wolfe sets out to prevent it. However, when one of the principals in the Gazette is killed and everyone else thinks its suicide, Wolfe concludes that it's actually murder and sets out to prove it.

The book has one upside. Compared to the last
Mike
Dec 14, 2012 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Standard Nero Wolfe. This is the first Nero Wolfe novel I've read that wasn't written by the series creator Rex Stout, while I've never been more than a casual reader of the original novels (hardly an expert on the subject) this addition to the series does seem to touch on all the Wolfe standards. The brownstone, the gourmet food, the orchids, the enigmatic, eccentric genius that is Nero Wolfe and the wisecracking that is a signature of Archie Goodwin.

It's been sometime since I've read any of St
Ed
Sep 27, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 in the Goldsborough continuation of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series.
Praise for the series being true to the Stout originals is well deserved. This quarter century old novel does have a rosy view of the finances of newspaper publishing, a view which doesn't stand the test of time. I did note a few internal inconsistencies though: On p.22 Archie is quoted a rate of $32,932 for a full page ad in the NY Times and later on the same page has "a cashier's check drawn for the twenty-nine-grand-plus" (p
Tristan Macavery
This book is the second in a short series of Nero Wolfe novels penned by fan-and-Wolfe-expert Robert Goldsborough, after the death of the original author Rex Stout (and authorized by Stout's estate). In it, Wolfe and Archies's long-time friend, New York Gazette reporter Lon Cohen, brings to Wolfe's attention a potential tragedy: The vaunted Gazette may be sold to a sleazy tabloid-monger named Ian MacLaren (possibly a slam at Rupert Murdoch). Wolfe spends over $30,000 to place a full-page ad in t ...more
Will Pfister
I read 'Archie Meets Nero Wolfe' by this author some time ago. It was an OK novel but not at all Wolfian. This book has an altogether different problem. It is a lousy crime. Overall it captures the essence of Wolfe with a few exceptions, as when Archie refers to a woman as a hooker, which he would never do. It is altogether too chatty between Archie and Nero without the pithyness, but hey Rex Stout was a genius so, to come close is an achievement. Despite this I found myself immersed in the stor ...more
Theodore Kinni
I keep saying that I'm done reading Nero Wolfe mysteries, but then I fall off the wagon. Goldsborough did a pretty good job channeling Stout in this one. I did find one error, tho: in this book, Goldsborough says that Saul Panzer met Wolfe after Archie met Wolfe; in his new prequel, it's the opposite - Saul knew Nero first. You know you've read too many books in a series when you start pointing out this kind of stuff.
Linda Smatzny
Jan 17, 2015 Linda Smatzny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book featuring Nero Wolfe written by Robert Goldsborough. The case is the death of the principal owner of the Gazette, the paper that Wolfe always gives his story to. At the start of the case, Nero has no client but goes ahead anyway. The story was short with little time between the death and the reveal of the guilty party. The book was a quick and easy read.
Tim Wilkinson
A good story. Goldsborough captures Archie's voice pretty well. I found it a little hard to get used to Archie and Nero in the eighties but they stay true to character and I got used to it towards the end. I think that if I had started the Goldsborough books after reading the Stout books in order it would be a little easier to take in.
James Saunders
Death on Deadline

An excellent book. Not a Rex Stout clone, however, it is able to stand on its own. There are a lot of similarities but there are some substantial differences. Most of the differences are in the phrasing. It is the closest that anyone is going to get. I did enjoy the book and recommend it.
Harry Addington
Feb 24, 2016 Harry Addington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the resurrected Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin mystery series. This one centers on the Gazette where Lou Cohen works. Starts off with no client, no fee and no murder but Wolfe is investigating as he considers the newspaper a friend. Soon there is a murder, a client snd a fee.
Carolyn
Sep 23, 2014 Carolyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Disappointing after I enjoyed the first one so much. Archie came off as cheap and brash and not too smart which really ruined the whole book despite the good plot premise, b/c Archie's voice is the soul of the series.
Cutty
Aug 15, 2015 Cutty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read the original Rex Stout books but was a huge fan of the TV show with Timothy Hutton. Reading this book brought the characters back to life for me! On to the next one!
Pat
Jun 15, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like these Nero Wolfe books. I was surprised when I realized that I have never read the originals! I am starting on those now.
Mary
Not bad - I was missing Nero and Archie. This is kind of like reading Nero Wolf fanfiction, and a lot of the coolness of the characters is missing. But - not bad.
Treva Smutz
May 10, 2016 Treva Smutz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin. Which is a good thing if you like that.
George Parks
Feb 17, 2016 George Parks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite Rex Stout, but the next best thing will all our favorite characters.
Paul Kaperick
Jul 08, 2015 Paul Kaperick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Stuff

After reading all of the original series by Rex Stout it is nice to have new stories about Nero Wolfe and Archie to read. May this author live long and be productive.
Beth E
Aug 14, 2016 Beth E rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Easy read, and it reads just like Rex Stout.
JZ
Sep 03, 2014 JZ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, own
I wasn't looking forward to someone else besides Rex Stout writing about Archie Goodwin and Nero Wolfe, but I must admit, I enjoyed this one. This is due, in no small part, to his references to Rupert Murdoch and his sensationalism of the news and declining standards of journalistic integrity and substance. The parallels between that megalomaniac and the baddy of the book, Ian MacLaren are too obvious to ignore, and very engaging. A good read.
Chi Dubinski
Ian MacLaren, a Rupert Murdoch-like media mogul, is scheming to buy the New York Gazette. Nero Wolfe objects to the possibility of a respected newspaper turning into a scandal sheet, and takes out a full page ad voicing his objecting. Shortly after, someone associated with the paper is found dead. Archie gathers suspects, and they meet at Wolfe's brownstone for a showdown. The author carries on where Rex Stout left off.
Patricia Wilson
Jan 13, 2014 Patricia Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin are in top form. I am happy that Mr. Goldsborough has continued their adventures.
Jason
Mar 29, 2012 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm not big on mystery books, but I liked this one mostly for the character "Nero Wolfe". He's a genius who enjoys taking care of his plants and insists on drinking a beer while meeting new clients. "Would you like something to drink? I'll be having beer." I liked him immediately.
Joe  Noir
Apr 26, 2013 Joe Noir rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pale, weak imitation of Nero Wolfe and Archie. Read the original Rex Stout novels and stories instead of this. Like Stout once said, writers should "roll their own".
Stephen Campbell
This book is not a Rex Stout Nero Wolfe but I'm glad to have read it. It's always a pleasure to visit with Archie and Nero, regardless of the writer.
Ruth
Jan 01, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Goldsborough really has the knack for Nero Wolfe. Enjoyed this. Tempts me to go back read some of the originals.
Melissa
Jun 09, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Forgettable. I just don't think Nero and Archie translate well to the late 20th century.
Blake Adamson
Jun 20, 2012 Blake Adamson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a first class mystery; Goldsborough seems to have writing Archie and Wolfe down.
Sandi
Feb 04, 2010 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this guy really nails Rex Stout. I'm happy to have him continuing the series.
  • Homicide Trinity (Nero Wolfe, #36)
Robert Goldsborough is an American author of mystery novels. He was born in 1937 and grew up in the Chicago area. Although he worked for 45 years for the Chicago Tribune and Advertising Age, he first came to prominence in the 1980s with the publication, with the approval of the estate of Rex Stout, of his Nero Wolfe mystery Murder in E Minor. Written privately for his mother back in 1978, shortly ...more
More about Robert Goldsborough...

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Murder in E Minor
  • The Bloodied Ivy
  • The Last Coincidence (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe)
  • Fade to Black
  • Silver Spire
  • The Missing Chapter
  • Archie Meets Nero Wolfe: A Prequel to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries (Nero Wolfe Novels by Robert Goldsborough #8)
  • Murder in the Ball Park (Nero Wolfe Novels by Robert Goldsborough #9)
  • Archie in the Crosshairs